PDA

View Full Version : Realtek RTL8201N

JoesMorgue
05-22-2009, 09:50 PM
I can't get my Realtek RTL8201N to function.

I have done some searching for drivers without luck.

Where can I get it?

SportsGuy
05-22-2009, 10:53 PM
I can't figure out how to get my Realtek Ethernet working either...

and JoesMorgue, do you still have to boot from your disk, too?

thorazine74
05-23-2009, 06:37 PM
I can't get my Realtek RTL8201N to function.

I have done some searching for drivers without luck.

Where can I get it?

I think you should be looking for drivers for nForce Ethernet instead of a specific Realtek chipset.
I have a similar chipset on a nForce MCP73 and its detected automatically by vanilla nvenet.kext in 10.5.6/7. I dont have any network plugged there so I dont know if it really works.

JoesMorgue
05-24-2009, 01:10 PM
I'm sorry,SportsGuy but I have to boot off the CD still, so I can't help you there.
This is my second OS X install to a freshly formatted HD
My Vista has the bootmenu configured, but OS X won't boot from it
FDisk gives an error when I load the drive to edit it.
I have tried Chameleon bootloader.
(I don't know what version I have, if I don't have it, I'm going to find 2)

I am asking for help on the forum.
(Specificly this one)

JoesMorgue
05-24-2009, 01:24 PM
Thoranine74, the OS X install disk I have supposedly has drivers for my netwerking built into it

I checked out my extensions, but I cannot find anything specificly related to my netwerking.

Because of this, I decided to search by chipset.

If you can recommend a good set of drivers for my nForce 430 chipset?
Or my GeForce 6150SE?

thorazine74
05-25-2009, 10:02 AM
I checked the nvenet.kext plist and it seems to be made to work with any nForce Ethernet controller, from what I understand all of nForce Ethernet controllers are standard no matter what specific Realtek chipset they use. Like I said the vanilla nvenet.kext detects the network card in my board (630i MCP73) but I dont have anything connected on the the card so I dont know if it really works. Do you have troubles getting the card detected or the network working?
As for the other drivers, I cant tell what drivers you could need without knowing what you have installed and what troubles you had as I dont have that chipset. The 6150SE I think its not supported by OS X at all, being an Shared Memory card.

JoesMorgue
05-25-2009, 02:00 PM
What do I have to do to get the information that you need? Tell me, and I will get it.

(I doubt any of this is relevant, but...)

The link in my sig is direct from the manufacturer, but the phone modem has removed, and two ATA harddrives have been added.

My wireless kb/mouse requires no special drivers on any OS, currently plugged in as USB, but I'd rather use the PS/2 ports.
USB card slot reader (7-in1, I thinks) is recognized by Vista and OS X, came out of other Compaq machine. No known drivers are used.

Two HP printers are connected (USB), but drivers are not installed.
Occasionally, 1 of two Palm PDA's and a Zune are connected. No drivers for these installed yet.

The video functions good enough for me to live with it.

My number one priority is netwerk. Others can be repaired/addressed. with remote connections.

I checked the nvenet.kext plist and it seems to be made to work with any nForce Ethernet controller, from what I understand all of nForce Ethernet controllers are standard no matter what specific Realtek chipset they use. Like I said the vanilla nvenet.kext detects the network card in my board (630i MCP73) but I dont have anything connected on the the card so I dont know if it really works. Do you have troubles getting the card detected or the network working?
As for the other drivers, I cant tell what drivers you could need without knowing what you have installed and what troubles you had as I dont have that chipset. The 6150SE I think its not supported by OS X at all, being an Shared Memory card.

Feel free to contact me directly thru email or messangers. I will be thankfull for any efforts you are willing to make

thorazine74
05-26-2009, 04:36 PM
I just mean what distro you had installed and what options did you choose regarding the network?
Like I said my board has similar Realtek card on a nForce 630i chipset and is detected by the vanilla driver, if yours is not detected and you didnt install any other network driver, you should consider looking for an alternative/patched nvenet.kext.
If the card is detected but your problem is getting a network connection working on it, sorry but I cant be of much help there as I dont have any wired network connected to my nForce ethernet.

JoesMorgue
05-26-2009, 09:11 PM
Oh....I used: XxX_10.5.6_Install_Disc_Universal_Final_V2
I havn't made any choices regarding the netword, none were found.
I dl'd the update from Apple and installed it, so I'm running 10.5.7, if that makes a difference

Unfortunately, I'm doing a HD recovery so I cannot reboot this machine, and I'm expecting it to take over 24 hours more to finish. When its done, I will look to see if I have mvenet.kext on my system, but I don't think I've seen it before.

I just mean what distro you had installed and what options did you choose regarding the network?
Like I said my board has similar Realtek card on a nForce 630i chipset and is detected by the vanilla driver, if yours is not detected and you didnt install any other network driver, you should consider looking for an alternative/patched nvenet.kext.
If the card is detected but your problem is getting a network connection working on it, sorry but I cant be of much help there as I dont have any wired network connected to my nForce ethernet.

JoesMorgue
05-27-2009, 06:26 PM
I did a search for nvenet.kext, and couldn't find it.

MANUALLY, I found it. It was where it should be, but I thinks it might be part of the problem. Its 0k in size.

Could the size be part of the problem?

thorazine74
05-30-2009, 10:45 AM
If your talking about the one in System/Library/Extensions I think its normal, in 10.5.7 it got updated in my system, it seems Apple moved it to IONetworkingFamily.kext Plugins folder but for some reason left the 0 Kb empty old file there.

SaCleoCheater
05-30-2009, 11:15 AM
Have you tried RealtekR1000?

http://cleofiles.homeunix.com/Files/RealtekR1000.kext.zip

JoesMorgue
05-30-2009, 01:00 PM
The link does not fuction

Have you tried RealtekR1000?

http://cleofiles.homeunix.com/Files/RealtekR1000.kext.zip

JoesMorgue
05-30-2009, 01:04 PM
OK....

How do I check if my driver is properly installed now?

How would I remove that one and install a different one?

If your talking about the one in System/Library/Extensions I think its normal, in 10.5.7 it got updated in my system, it seems Apple moved it to IONetworkingFamily.kext Plugins folder but for some reason left the 0 Kb empty old file there.

SaCleoCheater
05-30-2009, 01:49 PM
The link does not fuction

http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Drivers/RealtekR1000.shtml

thorazine74
05-31-2009, 01:36 PM
OK....

How do I check if my driver is properly installed now?

How would I remove that one and install a different one?

Check in System Profiler if the nvenet.kext is loaded:

http://www.infinitemac.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=296&stc=1&d=1243772989

Do you have an Ethernet device showing up in Network section?
http://www.infinitemac.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=297&stc=1&d=1243773020

Check the Network Preference Pane, do you have a connection available there?
http://www.infinitemac.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=298&stc=1&d=1243773020

If the nvenet.kext doesnt work for you for some reason you dont really need to remove it, as its part of vanilla OS X. You would have to find something else.
I doubt the Realtek1000 kext would work, from what I know nForce Ethernet are different than Intel's chipsets, you dont need specific network chipset drivers (i.e. one for Realtek, a different one for Marvell, another for Via chipset, etc.) but one nForce driver works with all different physical chipsets (same driver would work for Realtek, Marvell, Via, etc.), at least thats how its in Windows.

JoesMorgue
05-31-2009, 11:38 PM
The Network Preference Pane has no options in it, and that is with the Realtek1000.kext added.

I know the hardware functions, as I am using the same equipment (currently Vista) to get to this message section.

IF I had my networking, I could use the port forwarding of my router to fix the rest of the issues by letting people I know in....

JoesMorgue
06-02-2009, 11:26 PM
ALL the Kexts I have installed are: AppleDecrypt, AppleEFINVRAM, AppleEFIRuntime, AppleRTC, AppleXsanFilter, BSDKernal6.0, CHUDKernLib, CHUDProf, CHUDUtils, IOACPIFamily, IOATABlockStorage, IOATAPIProtocolTransport, IOBDStorageFamily, IOCDStorageFamily, IOKit6.0, Libkern6.0, Mach6.0, NullCPUPowerManagement, OSvKernDSPLib, System6.0, and TMSafetyNet

WHY is my netwerking drivers NOT on this list?

My netwerking sections says I have nothing installed (Understandably)

If I'm on Hardware in System Profiler it says there is an error collecting data

JoesMorgue
06-03-2009, 04:09 PM
OK. Here are 4 pics of my last boot. I don't know how important the first one is, but to show you it is collecting data, I also inscluded the ATA BUS.