PDA

View Full Version : My experience + a couple of newbie questions

Bloodw
05-24-2009, 03:38 AM
Hi everyone.
Iīm pretty new to OSX86.
Iīll keep this simple. My OSX86 installation went exactly like this.

1) iDeneb 1.3 , which installed 10.5.5 fine.
2) Installed Voodoo Kernel 0.95
3) Used the iDeneb updater to upgrade to 10.5.6
4) Used the iDeneb updater to upgrade to 10.5.7
5) Replaced seatbelt.kext to 10.5.5 with the help of Kext Helper which is included in iDeneb. (Oh yeah, and edited a plist thingie somewhere to adjust the default graphics resolution from 1024x768 to 1280x1024)
6) Win.

That was it. Everything works perfectly. P3 HT 3ghz detected as 2x Core Solo.
Heard some rumors afterwards about the 10.5.7 update would render OSX86 useless. Apparently it was just a rumor ;)
Iīm sure this has been asked before in various ways, but what would I gain by using a newer Voodoo kernel, either the offical when it comes, or the derived 0.96 version? I donīt want to use another type of kernel as I canīt be bothered to learn the eh.. "commandline and kext thingies" I normally need to do before or after each big update.

Everything works as it should. I only need to use the iDeneb updater on the big updates. For everything else i just update like a normal Mac. (Then again the iDeneb updater works more or less like the normal updater, so..)

Is there any type of configuration where iDeneb wonīt work on? It seems to me that if you manage to install iDeneb, then the rest is a piece of cake?

ps! If you wonder why I didnīt use iDeneb 1.4 to get to 10.5.6 directly, it is because that version didnīt let me even get to the installation screen.
But when I tried Chameleon 2 RC1, which just made my computer reboot endlessly, I couldnīt boot the the system with the 1.3 disc. This time the 1.4 disc let me boot into OSX and reinstall Chameleon 1.0.11. Go figure.