PDA

View Full Version : Quad Core Anyone?

SportsGuy
05-24-2009, 02:21 PM
I have an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)

and every time I boot up, I have to type "cpus=1"

I know there is a fix that would type this for me, but I would like to get all four cores working. This should be a very compatible processor, but I don't know how to get the cores working.

Voyn1x
05-24-2009, 05:18 PM
What happens when you don't enter that flag?

SaCleoCheater
05-24-2009, 06:19 PM
Download Chameleon v2 and install it.

Browse to /Extra and mod the "Kernel Flags" in com.apple.Boot.plist so that cpus=4 is entered in the Kernel Flags string.

Download AnV XNU 1.4 Kernel. *Supports a Quad Core*

Should work

SportsGuy
05-24-2009, 07:08 PM
What happens when you don't enter that flag?

It just restarts, and would boot loop.

And SaCleoCheater, I will try that and report back

thanks alot!

SportsGuy
05-24-2009, 07:41 PM
okay, here is the rundown :P

I have been booting from my install disk, because darwin wouldn't work, then someone told me that chameleon would work, but then I realized it doesn't have the option to type cpus=1.

And when I go to /Extra, I try to save the edited strings, but it says I don't have authority to change it. Also the only thing I could find for the AnX XNU 1.4 is a .stix (?) and I'm not sure how to use that

thank you soo much for helping, though

peanut9
05-24-2009, 07:44 PM
Hi sports guy. i also have a quad core. to get working you need to change your bios settings, i had like the same exact problem onetime what you need to do is set your bios. follow this link they tell you how to set it up. i did that and it worked.
http://apple2pc.blogspot.com/2008/03/bios-options-for-hackintosh.html

SportsGuy
05-24-2009, 07:46 PM
Awesome! thanks a ton I will try that asap

SaCleoCheater
05-24-2009, 08:01 PM
you can find the AnV XNU here:
http://rapidshare.com/files/218506963/AnV_XNU_9.6.0_kernel_V1.4.pkg

Just install it and all cores should be working at full pelt.

SportsGuy
05-24-2009, 08:04 PM
thanks SaCleoCheater

and for the BIOS thing, I didn't see some of those options, but I tried to do what I could and it didn't work...

SportsGuy
05-24-2009, 08:16 PM
the kernel didn't work... It just does this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96P82QxpTM0

It doesn't work from Chameleon 2 or the installation dvd

edit: so when I don't put cpus=1, it reboots quickly after, as in the video

SaCleoCheater
05-24-2009, 08:25 PM
that is weird.

SportsGuy
05-24-2009, 08:27 PM
I know

and I can't edit the com.apple.Boot.plist

maya77
05-24-2009, 08:52 PM
and I can't edit the com.apple.Boot.plist
Use Smultron, it's free. It will let you edit such files and save your changes.

TextEdit will not.

SportsGuy
05-24-2009, 09:18 PM
yeah, thanks, smultron worked great

but putting cpus=4 didn't do anything...

edit: here's a picture of -v with chameleon from my drive:

http://i44.tinypic.com/20jr7n4.jpg

milanca
05-24-2009, 11:07 PM
Hi SportsGuy,

this is really strange, you should be running vanilla, unpatched kernel without any problems. I dont think that here you have processor issue. What is your motherboard? What's in your logs when you used vanilla kernel and it restarted? Do you use vanilla AppleACPIPlatform ?

I still think its not the processor. It requires further investigation.

Regards!

SportsGuy
05-25-2009, 02:36 AM
It is a Dell Studio Desktop 540, I'm not positive what board it has, but in the setup, it says it is American MegaTrends

I have installed iPC many times and have only installed the os, with nothing else

Thanks for the support!

SportsGuy
05-27-2009, 08:29 PM
I still haven't gotten this to work...

tdtran1025
05-27-2009, 11:24 PM
yeah, thanks, smultron worked great

but putting cpus=4 didn't do anything...

edit: here's a picture of -v with chameleon from my drive:

http://i44.tinypic.com/20jr7n4.jpg

Sportsguy,

Lucky that you posted your screen. A picture is worth a thousand words.
You do need Chameleon 2 RC1 and DSDT. Here's why.
This is a typical boot screen of most motherboards out there before DSDT. There's a line in BIOS called CPU alias that most firmware writters neglect because it's not important for Windows or Linux but OS X needs to know what the system is. For all OSX86ers that have a forum for modded BIOSes, they have it easy. Now comes DSDT. When your system is optimzed by this program, it writes the entire hardware component list on your HD root, acting as a BIOS mapping instruction that Chameleon can translate easily.
Contrary to your belief, Chameleon can handle boot flags with no problem. With the latest RC release, which is GUI, you can select what partition to boot and type in the boot flags. The flags will appear on the bottom of the boot screen.
Recap: once you have your system up the old way, install Chameleon, then DSDT. Run DSDT to optimize your board. Reboot. You'll be surprised.
You can also use PCWiz OSXTools to residentially create boot flags GFX strings to further customize your your boot parameters.
Good luck

Ali C.
05-28-2009, 04:06 AM
Contrary to your belief, Chameleon can handle boot flags with no problem. With the latest RC release, which is GUI, you can select what partition to boot and type in the boot flags. The flags will appear on the bottom of the boot screen.

Not to knock this off topic, but my Chameleon isn't showing anything at the bottom. I either have to use the boot menu or type it in blind and hope I didn't typo.
Could it be the Boot Camp theme I'm using on it?

SportsGuy
05-30-2009, 04:02 AM
Sportsguy,

Lucky that you posted your screen. A picture is worth a thousand words.
You do need Chameleon 2 RC1 and DSDT. Here's why.
This is a typical boot screen of most motherboards out there before DSDT. There's a line in BIOS called CPU alias that most firmware writters neglect because it's not important for Windows or Linux but OS X needs to know what the system is. For all OSX86ers that have a forum for modded BIOSes, they have it easy. Now comes DSDT. When your system is optimzed by this program, it writes the entire hardware component list on your HD root, acting as a BIOS mapping instruction that Chameleon can translate easily.
Recap: once you have your system up the old way, install Chameleon, then DSDT. Run DSDT to optimize your board. Reboot. You'll be surprised.
You can also use PCWiz OSXTools to residentially create boot flags GFX strings to further customize your your boot parameters.
Good luck

So I installed Chameleon 2, and then ran DSDT from PCWiz, and still nothing... I get the same thing

Do I need to write boot flags to Chameleon somehow?

SportsGuy
06-02-2009, 12:47 AM
Does anyone else have the Q9550 working?

uofamis22
06-06-2009, 06:07 AM
I have the same exact settings but I am not using the onboard video (HDMI). However, if you get it to work I will certainly get an HDMI DVI adapter. I had a similiar problem as you in regards to the boot loop. If you haven't already done so, when you get to the boot screen, type in -v cpus=1. I have seen people say to type in cpus=1 but not the combination I just provided. I was able to load iPC just fine. Problem that I am having now is determining the appropriate things to install. Per wiki (http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.5.6/Desktops) the following should be installed for a Studi 540 using iPC:

Dell Studio 540

iPC 10.5.6 Universal Final
Kernel: 9.5.0 voodoo
Chipset: LegacyAppleIntelPIIATA
Audio: Azalia Audio Package
CPUS=1 boot flag fix
LAN: Realtek R1000 Driver
You will need to do a "CPUS=1" boot flag in order to boot the install disk depending on which processor you have.
This computer had a Nvidia 9500 GT Graphics card, not the built in video. I am not sure what is needed for the built-in video chipset.
This guide was written using a Studio 540: OSX Leopard 10.5.6 Installation Guide For Complete Beginners (http://tgrounds.blogspot.com/2009/04/leopard-os-x-1056-on-your-pc.html)

Here is the problem, they don't use the onboard video card (HDMI, I am not talking about the VGA). Hopefully what I provided helped and I can use your results assuming you acheive success. Please update us.

SportsGuy
06-07-2009, 02:59 AM
I have seen that, and tried all of that, many times, actually. I still can't get it to boot up from chameleon, and can't get any drivers working. I feel as I should just give it all up.

uofamis22
06-09-2009, 07:58 PM
Darn, I was hoping that easy fix would have taken care of it. Are you using iPC? Maybe you can try using a different boot OSX.

Voyn1x
06-09-2009, 08:45 PM
Make sure you're putting the dsdt.aml in the root of Extra

You should use this app (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=142434) instead of the pcwiz patcher. It has many more dsdt fixes and options, downside is you will need to run it from windows. :(

uofamis22
06-20-2009, 08:15 PM
This thread hasn't gone anywhere so I thought I would add to it with hopes that someone can provide some asistance based on the stage I am at:

Memory (RAM): 8191 MB
CPU Info: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz
CPU Speed: 2335.5 MHz
Sound card: Speakers (High Definition Audio
Display Adapters: NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT
Network Adapters: Realtek RTL8168C(P)/8111C(P) Family PCI-E GBE NIC
CD / DVD Drives: D: PLDS DVD+-RW DH-16A6S
USB Controllers: 10 host controllers.
Motherboard: Dell Inc. 0M017G

With the -v cpus=1 command I can boot off of the DVD just fine. I then install the following drivers per OSx86 Wiki (http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.5.6/Desktops#Dell_Studio_540):
Chipset: LegacyAppleIntelPIIATA
Audio: Azalia Audio Package
CPUS=1 boot flag fix
LAN: Realtek R1000 Driver
I even have the Nvidia 9500GT Video card as indicated within the above link. For this, I have installed NVinject 0.2.1 1024MB VRAM and NVdarwin 1024MB with the same results which are noted below.
Everything installs just fine and when it restarts, I boot off of the installed hard drive using the following command: -v -f
I then get hung up on "Still waiting for root device." I have not made any adjustments in my BIOs. Any body have any tips or hints. I just read somewhere that you install the 9.5.0 voodoo kernal, you must also install a seatbeat 10.5.5.kext which I am about to try next.

SportsGuy
06-24-2009, 08:12 PM
I still haven't gotten anywhere either. I am still trying many things, though.

SportsGuy
06-25-2009, 06:11 PM
i installed the new iatkos and i still cant get anything to work...

uofamis22
06-27-2009, 04:50 AM
Hey SportsGuy,

It is good to see you are still trying. A couple of days ago I got iPC running using the following settings:

Video Drivers: Nvinject 0.2.1 1024 VRAM
Chipset: Intel ICH10 SATA Support
Audio: Can't get sound to work and don't know what driver to install
Ethernet Drivers: Realtek R1000
USB Drivers: Patched USB Drivers
Fixes and Patches:
- ACPI Fix
- CPUS=1 boot flag fix
- IOPCI Family.kext patched
- Seatbelt.kext 10.5.5
- USB Mount Fix

It started to boot up and it would not reconize my USB connections on the motherboard, even thought I installed USB patches. I do have a USB PCI card so it reconzied this and I was able to install. Once installed, I didn't have an optical drive, audio or USB connections. I must say, it was nice to finally get into the OS after working on this so much for three weeks. I restarted the computer and I had a kernal panic which prevented me from getting back in. I was so close yet so far. Anyway, I have also tried the newest iAtkos with no luck. There is a guide out there that people have had success with: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t140591.html

I am going to try this again for the older version of iAtkos, 5i. I will post back with any positive results. You do the same. Keep chugging SportsGuy, we will get this.

Oh yeah, you have made sure to set your "Integrated Perifial" as ATA not RAID, right? I don't think you can get it going on RAID.

krillinballz
06-27-2009, 10:45 AM
You need to boot into OS X (which works currently with only 1 core active) and run fassl's DSDT Patcher (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=133683) to generate a patched dsdt.aml file....

A Terminal window will open......press any key to continue.....when you see

CODE
Which OS to emulate? [0=Darwin,1=WinXP, 2=WinVista]

choose 0 to emulate Darwin......

The dsdt.aml file you generate will be placed in the DSDT_Patcher1.0.1e directory/folder and should be renamed to DSDT.aml and then copied to the /Extra directory that you will see after installing Chameleon 2.0RC1 using the Chameleon 2.0 RC1 installer (http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,5.0.html)......

There is no risk to your BIOS AFAIK because the Chameleon bootloader loads the modded DSDT.aml file in the boot directory i.e. / directory over the DSDT file loaded from the BIOS.....

go in to the extray folder created by chameleon bootloader and the com.apple.Boot.plist open it with textmate and where you see make it say 4 if it does not cpus=4 this should fix every thing

crimsonredmk
06-28-2009, 07:19 AM
Hey everyone, I'm new here but have pored through this thread for the last 6 hours and have finally come up with an ALMOST perfect install for myself.

System is obviously a Dell Studio 540, Intel C2Q 2.33GHz, 8GB RAM. Here's what I did:

Disable SpeedStep, make sure SATA operation is "ATA" in BIOS -- IMPORTANT.
Booted iAtkos v7 DVD with arguments: cpus=1 -f -v
Partitioned 1 huge GUID partition, named Leopard.
Had the following packages checked:
--iAtkos V7 Main System
--Chameleon v2
--/Extra directory
--DSDT
--Disabler
--AppleDecrypt
--AppleSMBIOS netkas
--APIC driver
--Intel SATA/IDE
--Realtek R1000
--Post-Install Actions

You'll notice there's no sound of video - ATI Radeon 3450 HD isn't included on the DVD, and since I don't have an NVidia, I can't help ya there. UNCHECK VoodooHDA!!!, you'll get kernel panics randomly.

Install, and in Chameleon on boot of your installed system, use the same parameters, cpus=1 -f -v
You can also try to use cpus=1 -f -v as it sometimes works for me.

If you have a Radeon 3450 like me, your login window app will load but you won't see anything.

BUT IT WORKS! Start up in single mode to install Kexts I guess. (-s)

Can someone point me to a Radeon 3450 HD kext?

crimsonredmk
06-28-2009, 03:17 PM
I've also been able to boot with cpus=2 -- anything higher won't boot.

I've found a Radeon 3450 kext, and you need to add "Graphics Mode"=***** for it to work, but it won't use my monitor's actual resolution, but instead I'm stuck at 1152x864. But it's a start!

uofamis22
06-28-2009, 08:03 PM
Apparently there is a way to modify the hidden DSDT.aml file so it reconizes four cores. Pere, in the other forum is supposed to do this for me. I wish I knew how so I could do it myself upon another build.

uofamis22
06-28-2009, 08:23 PM
Can you tell me how to upload a kext? Do I need a tool? If you have uploaded the sound drivers, can you point me in the right direction for the following driver: Realtek ALC888/1200?

SportsGuy
06-28-2009, 11:43 PM
Okay, this is awesome :D

So now, I am going to reinstall iAtkos v7 with the same things you did. Then I will see if I can make any progress, too!

SportsGuy
06-30-2009, 02:24 AM
I got the Ethernet working on here, too! have you all made any progress on the sound or video?

uofamis22
06-30-2009, 03:22 AM
I have a different video card than both of your so my video works perfect. I have no idea how to install the audio though, nor have a put much effort into it. I intend on looking more into this later when I have more time. Please report back if you get this far.

I am glad to hear you are essentially up and running aside from the audit and video.

krillinballz
06-30-2009, 12:36 PM
did the post i did help any of you with your core problem just wondering

SportsGuy
07-01-2009, 04:10 AM
I tried it but I couldn't find the Extra directory

I think it has something to do with iAtkos. I check it for it to be there, but it wasn't there...
is there any way I can add it?

krillinballz
07-02-2009, 03:23 AM
When you in stall Chameleon it makes a Extray folder on the drive you installed mac on when u double click the harddrive symble the folder is on that main page man. Let me know if this helps i know it did for me

crimsonredmk
07-02-2009, 09:56 PM
Expanding on that iAtkos v7 install procedure I posted above, yeah, you need to disable Speedstep in your BIOS - the kernel panics if it's enabled. I've been away for a few days but I'm ready to get hacking on getting the ATI Radeon 3450 working.

crimsonredmk
07-02-2009, 10:16 PM
Hey, everyone with a Studio 540 and using iAtkos v7 - SOUND OUT OF BOX using my method above. If you don't select any ATI drivers, you'll get a crappy resolution - but it's a start eh?

crimsonredmk
07-02-2009, 10:24 PM
Yay, so here's what does and doesn't work:

Works: Sound - I left VoodooHDA checked, hopefully this won't kill the kernel as some have reported it has...

Works: USB - all of the ports work 100%

Works: Ethernet. Even got a $30 Ralink Wifi-N card working perfectly.

Everything except the Radeon 3450 works - stuck in 1024x768. :(

SportsGuy
07-03-2009, 02:25 AM
When you in stall Chameleon it makes a Extray folder on the drive you installed mac on when u double click the harddrive symble the folder is on that main page man. Let me know if this helps i know it did for me

I try to reinstall it, but I already have it, so it won't let me... And I don't think it will do it if I just make a folder...

uofamis22
07-03-2009, 04:38 PM
I tried it but I couldn't find the Extra directory

I think it has something to do with iAtkos. I check it for it to be there, but it wasn't there...
is there any way I can add it?

SportsGuy, if you hare trying to find the DSDT file within the root directory, you will need to unhide files. Search in Google how to enable this as it takes a few commands. From here you will need to modify the DSDT file (don't ask me how. Someone did it for me but if you figure out how post back). This thread apparently shows how to modify the DSDT file so you get the full four cores: http://uphuck.ggrn.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2987

Again, I have not tried it yet. I am still struggling with installing the correct kexts for the sound.

uofamis22
07-03-2009, 04:43 PM
Yay, so here's what does and doesn't work:

Works: Sound - I left VoodooHDA checked, hopefully this won't kill the kernel as some have reported it has...

Works: USB - all of the ports work 100%

Works: Ethernet. Even got a $30 Ralink Wifi-N card working perfectly.

Everything except the Radeon 3450 works - stuck in 1024x768. :(

Crimsonredmk, I thought we decided the VoodooHDA was causing kernel panics? Is this not correct? Or was it the fact that SpeedStep was enabled in the bios? Below is what you originally posted to install. What have you added to this with luck?

--iAtkos V7 Main System
--Chameleon v2
--/Extra directory
--DSDT
--Disabler
--AppleDecrypt
--AppleSMBIOS netkas
--APIC driver
--Intel SATA/IDE
--Realtek R1000
--Post-Install Actions

Thanks,

Louis

SportsGuy
07-03-2009, 08:53 PM
okay, I finally got to view all the files. I put in: killall Finder, in terminal.

so simple... ha

SportsGuy
07-03-2009, 09:02 PM
You need to boot into OS X (which works currently with only 1 core active) and run fassl's DSDT Patcher (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=133683) to generate a patched dsdt.aml file....

A Terminal window will open......press any key to continue.....when you see

CODE
Which OS to emulate? [0=Darwin,1=WinXP, 2=WinVista]

choose 0 to emulate Darwin......

The dsdt.aml file you generate will be placed in the DSDT_Patcher1.0.1e directory/folder and should be renamed to DSDT.aml and then copied to the /Extra directory that you will see after installing Chameleon 2.0RC1 using the Chameleon 2.0 RC1 installer (http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,5.0.html)......

There is no risk to your BIOS AFAIK because the Chameleon bootloader loads the modded DSDT.aml file in the boot directory i.e. / directory over the DSDT file loaded from the BIOS.....

go in to the extray folder created by chameleon bootloader and the com.apple.Boot.plist open it with textmate and where you see make it say 4 if it does not cpus=4 this should fix every thing

so... I did that with cpus=4 and it didn't work... the last thing it said when trying to boot up was up time in nanoseconds:(random numbers)

uofamis22
07-04-2009, 04:24 AM
Did you see the uphuck forum regarding this procedure? You are trying to modify the DSDT to reconize four cores so you don't have to boot with the cpus=1 -v command, right? Let me know if you figure this out, like I mentioned, I had someone do it for me but I would like to learn myself.

oo3rex
07-04-2009, 07:07 PM
Hello uofamis22,

I noticed in another thread that you were having issues with this kernel panic when you tried to restart..

Debugger called: <panic>
Backtrace (CPU 0), Frame : Return Address (4 potential args on stack)
0x7f2176d8 : 0x12b4c6 *0x45ec20 0x7f21770c 0x13355c 0x0)
0x7f217728 : 0x1ab0fe (0x468ecc 0x79243832 0xe 0x468678)
0x7f217808 : 0x1a1703 (0x7f217820 0xb9f4000 0x7f2178f8 0x79243832)
0x7f217818 : 0x79243832 (0xe 0xb920048 0x7f210010 0x10)
0x7f2178f8 : 0x7924030c (0x0 0xcffa08e1 0x0 0x8)
0x7f217958 : 0x7924e933 (0xac43b08 0x0 0xcffa08e1 0x0)
0x7f2179d8 : 0x7924c959 (0xac43b08 0xaa881e8 0xab9ec08 0x0)
0x7f2179f8 : 0x7924bce1 (0xab9ec08 0xab9edc4 0xab9ec08 0x0)
0x7f217a48 : 0x79249ddc (0xab9ec08 0xac93548 0xc 0x7f217a88)
0x7f217aa8 : 0x79245b36 (0xab9ec08 0xad7a408 0x0 0x79245563)
0x7f217af8 : 0x79242605 (0xad7a408 0x3 0xaa88328 0x7926618f)
0x7f217b38 : 0x7924271d (0x6 0x0 0x0 0x7923a53f)
0x7f217b68 : 0x7924ab36 (0x7f217c08 0xac8e9c8 0x7f217b98 0x7923b79a)
0x7f217b98 : 0x7924ad25 (0x7f217c08 0xb8eb698 0x0 0xe)
0x7f217be8 : 0x7924577e (0x7917a3dc 0x7f217c08 0x7924ef18 0x11d)
0x7f217c38 : 0x7924c6a6 (0xab31028 0x7917a3dc 0x7f217c74 0x0)
Backtrace continues...
Kernel loadable modules in backtrace (with dependencies):
com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform(9.98.)@0x792230 00->0x79259fff
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.6)@0x791c5000
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOACPIFamily(9.9.9)@0x791dc000

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: kernel_task

Mac OS version:
9J61

I'm having that same kernel panic, the install goes fine and all hardware works perfectly until I try to restart, and i get it wether i have voodoohda checked or not, and speedstep is disabled. Did you get the problem sorted or do you still have problems with it? Btw im also using a Studio 540, mine has a core 2 duo rather than a quad but other than that the hardware is identical.

SportsGuy
07-04-2009, 11:33 PM
Well, I installed this kext for the heck of it: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=132491

Then I rebooted, and it showed up on my whole screen, but all I could get was that light blue screen.
So I think I am going to reinstall it, once again... unless I can get rid of that kext somehow

uofamis22
07-05-2009, 01:09 AM
Yeah, I did get through it and it was due to the VoodooHDA or the SpeedStep. If you installed the exact same drivers that is listed within this forum, then I don't know what the problem is. I was lucky enough to get through it.

HappyQuadCore
07-05-2009, 07:35 AM
I just took a quick look and I did not see what install method or version you are using, but I used iPCOSx86 10.5.6 Uni Final and my quad core works great. Threads was one of my best stats on xbench. I have been up and running for a while and have not done any type of install in a while, but, as I recall, the only time I saw any issue with cpus= was with a patched kernel, ie, not updateable. My updateable install works fine. Check out some of my older posts, see if that helps.

SportsGuy
07-05-2009, 07:07 PM
I'm pretty sure most of us are using iAtkos v7

but I can try iPC again. I still have the DVD

SportsGuy
07-05-2009, 10:08 PM
So I had to reinstall and kept the voodooHDA kext any my audio is working fine, and I haven't had any kernel panics, either.

crimsonredmk
07-08-2009, 03:34 AM
Yeah, VoodooHDA sometimes causes kernel panics on boot, but a restart fixes those. They're random for me.

As for everyone trying to figure out the DSDT, rock on. Enabling all 4 cores would be killer. I've seen some modded BIOSes - the point was to remap cores 3 and 4 to another processor, so OS X saw 2 physical processors each with 2 cores.

crimsonredmk
07-08-2009, 03:41 AM
Hey HappyQuadCore, I've got an iPC 10.5.6 DVD too, what did you check to install? I can't find any combination that works. I'll try it though...

crimsonredmk
07-08-2009, 04:12 AM
Having installed OS X too many times now, I've fine-tuned the guide I posted earlier a bit, so here it is:

System is obviously a Dell Studio 540, Intel C2Q 2.33GHz, 8GB RAM.

Here's what I did:

Disable SpeedStep and make sure SATA operation is "ATA" in BIOS -- IMPORTANT.

Check the following packages (in order):
--iAtkos V7 Main System
--Chameleon v2
--/Extra directory
--DSDT
--AppleDecrypt
--AppleSMBIOS netkas
--APIC driver
--Disabler
--Intel SATA/IDE
--Voodoo HDA driver (see below***)
--Realtek R1000
--Post-Install Actions

ATI Radeon 3450 HD isn't included on the DVD, and since I don't have an NVidia, I can't help ya there. I ended up buying an old GeForce 8600GT and using EFIStudio. The kext for the Radeon 3450 you'll find on the insane site won't work, you'll get a blue screen, same with using EFIStudio or OS X86 Tools to add the string to your Boot.plist.

Install, and in Chameleon on boot of your installed system, use the same parameters, cpus=1 -f -v

You can also try to use cpus=2 -f -v as it sometimes works for me.

Voodoo HDA***: This might sometimes cause a kernel panic on boot. Just reboot. It'll eventually work haha.

-----Todo: ATI Radeon HD 3450
Get all 4 cores working

SportsGuy
07-08-2009, 07:41 PM
Having installed OS X too many times now, I've fine-tuned the guide I posted earlier a bit, so here it is:

System is obviously a Dell Studio 540, Intel C2Q 2.33GHz, 8GB RAM.

Here's what I did:

Disable SpeedStep and make sure SATA operation is "ATA" in BIOS -- IMPORTANT.

Check the following packages (in order):
--iAtkos V7 Main System
--Chameleon v2
--/Extra directory
--DSDT
--AppleDecrypt
--AppleSMBIOS netkas
--APIC driver
--Disabler
--Intel SATA/IDE
--Voodoo HDA driver (see below***)
--Realtek R1000
--Post-Install Actions

ATI Radeon 3450 HD isn't included on the DVD, and since I don't have an NVidia, I can't help ya there. I ended up buying an old GeForce 8600GT and using EFIStudio. The kext for the Radeon 3450 you'll find on the insane site won't work, you'll get a blue screen, same with using EFIStudio or OS X86 Tools to add the string to your Boot.plist.

You can also try to use cpus=2 -f -v as it sometimes works for me.

Voodoo HDA***: This might sometimes cause a kernel panic on boot. Just reboot. It'll eventually work haha.

-----Todo: ATI Radeon HD 3450
Get all 4 cores working

I'm where you're at. I don't know about the whole speedstep deal, so I'm assuming I didn't do it, and I haven't used -f as a boot flag and have been doing fine.

And for the resolution, I used PCWiz's OSx86 Tools to edit com.apple.Boot.plist, and put in my screen resolution (1920x1080) and when I rebooted, the resolution was 1400x1050. It looks a little better, but it still isn't full screen

SportsGuy
07-11-2009, 03:24 AM
So I got a patched DSDT.aml and put it in, and it seems like it would work, but it randomly freezes while loading VooDooHDA Driver. Has anyone ran into this or have any solutions?

crimsonredmk
07-11-2009, 05:56 AM
SportsGuy, how do you generate a DSDT.aml file? All 4 cores work? Voodoo HDA is known to hang on boot, no workarounds that I know of. As for the Radeon 3450, I chickened out and got an NVidia 8600GT for $40 on Newegg. Works flawlessly.

SportsGuy
07-11-2009, 11:12 PM
Pere from uphuck made me one. but i can't get it past voodoohda... and i still haven't found anything for the Radeon 3450, but i also have been looking for a new card

uofamis22
07-12-2009, 01:27 AM
crimsonredmk (http://www.infinitemac.com/member.php?u=7957)
crimsonredmk, before you contact Pere let me send you a guide to do it. I just figured out how to do it yesterday with Pere's help. It is one thing to have Pere do it but if you ever change your hardware you will need to learn how to do it yourself.

I will post back in a bit, I am loading Windows 7 on my other hard drive right now so once this is complete I will post back.

SportsGuy
07-12-2009, 02:02 AM
uofamis, did you get all four cores working, and is your VoodooHDA working?

uofamis22
07-12-2009, 03:04 AM
Yeah, as long as Speedstep is disabled, I can install the VoodooHDA kext and my sound is great. I am going to post a very lengthly Dell Studio 540 Install Tutorial shortly that should help people get this up and going from the begining to the end. Let me know if you have any feedback.

uofamis22
07-12-2009, 03:06 AM
Dell Studio 540 Installation Guide Using iAtkos v7

In order for this installation guide to work appropriately, you will need to have near similar hardware configurations than what I posted below:

System: Dell Studio 540
Memory: 8GB DDR2_800 DDR SDRAM
CPU Info: Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz (7 x 333)
Sound card: Realtek ALC888/1200
Display Adapters: NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT 1GB PCI-e

Go into the bios and change the Integrated Peripherals from RAID to ATA. Additionally, disable SpeedStep. This is critical, it will not work without doing this.

Load iAtkos v7 Install Disc.

When Darwin boot loader screen appears, press F8 rather quickly.

You will receive a boot prompt, type in the following: -v cpus=1.

Once the screen below shows up, please read carefully.

If a hard drive does not appear under the Select a Destination, click on the following: Utilities > Disk Utility. Select a hard drive > click on erase tab > select Volume Format “Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and click erase.

Now the “Select a Destination” is back and a hard drive should appear. IMPORTANT. You must select Customize. The install disc (iAtkos v7) will have pre-selected drivers. Only install what is listed below for a Studio 540 with the same specs as those noted above:

iAtkos V7 Main System
Chameleon v2
/Extra directory
DSDT
AppleDecrypt
AppleSMBIOS netkas
APIC driver
Disabler
DVI/DVI (nVidia)
Intel SATA/IDE
Voodoo HDA driver
Realtek R1000
Post-Install Actions

Install the Video driver that corresponds to your video card. I had a 1GB Nvidia 9500GT (dual DVI) card and installed the DVI/DVI driver under Nvidia.

9. Once installed you will need to boot off of the hard drive with the OSX. Hit any key once Cameleon starts to load. Until you patch the OS, you will have to boot into the OS each time by using the following commands: cpus=1 –v or you can probably boot using cpus=2 –v as well.

10. Now you should be in the OS. You will need to patch the DSDT.aml file which is hidden under your root drive. To unhide folders/files, go into your root drive and within the search, type in hide. You should be provided with an Application called Show-Hide Files. Click on this to show hidden files.

11. Now you will need to download the DSDT_Patcher. You should be able to find the patcher at the following site: http://uphuck.ggrn.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2987 (http://uphuck.ggrn.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2987)
Within, there is another link to directly download the patcher: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php? ... t&id=38192 (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=38192)
At the time of this tutorial I used DSDT Patcher 1.0.1e version of the patcher. If you are having trouble finding this file you could probably run a Google search. When you open the DSDT Patcher folder, you should have the following files/folders:
- DSDT Patcher (you will also here this called the Parcher)
- Readme
- Tools
Open up the DSDT Patcher file, a terminal will launch. Next it will say, Press any key to continue. Go ahead and press Enter on your keyboard. Now the last line will state the following: Which OS to Emulate [0=Darwin, 1=WinXP, 2=WinVista]. Go ahead and hit 0 for Darwin and press Enter again.
Now if you go back to the DSDT Folder where the three files were originally located (the DSDT Patcher, Readme and Tools), you will notice two additional files/folders were created:
- Debug
- dsdt.aml
Go ahead and open up the Debug folder, locate a file called dsdt.dsl. Right click on this file and open it with TextEdit (this is an application located within the Applications folder). Once this file is open, locate the Alias CPU section (just run a search and type in the word CPU). For my computer, there were only two results which looked like this:
{
Processor (P001, 0x01, 0x00000810, 0x06) {}
Processor (P002, 0x02, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Alias (P002, CPU2)
Processor (P003, 0x03, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Processor (P004, 0x04, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Alias (P004, CPU4)
}
Go ahead and delete/clean the Alias lines so the end result should look something like this:
{
}
Go ahead and save the file and close it. Now drag and drop the dsdt.dsl file to your desktop, or anywhere else for that matter. Go back to your DSDT Patcher folder, delete the Debug folder and the dsdt.aml file (NOT the dsdt.dsl file you just saved to your desktop).
Double click on your hard drive and go to Applications and find the Terminal (just type in Terminal in the finder if you have having trouble). Before opening the Terminal application, make sure the DSDT Patcher terminal has been closed. Now open the Terminal application. Now drag and drop the DSDT Patcher file which is located within your DSDT Patcher folder in the Terminal. Hit the spacebar and drag and drop the dsdt.dsl file (the one you saved to your desktop) into the Terminal. Now hit Enter, it will not look like much happened and you will be back to a similar terminal window that you saw when you first opened up the DSDT Patcher terminal. It will ask you to Press any key to continue. Go ahead and hit enter and then select 0 for the Darwin OS to emulate and hit enter again. Now if you don’t have any errors you should be good to go. Lets go ahead and open up the new dsdt.aml file which has been created within the DSDT Patcher folder once again in TextEdit. Run a search on the word CPU, you should not find anything. My current version, the unpatched version of the DSDT.aml file which is located (hidden) within the root drive looks like this on the fourth line:
ñ L _PR_[É P001 [É P002 P002CPU2[É P003 [É P004 P004CPU4 DP80

Our new patched file looks like this:
ñ 9_PR_[É P001 [É P002 [É P003 [É P004 DP80
Notice CPU has been removed. Okay, now take the patched version of the dsdt.aml file located within the DSDT Patcher folder and rename it to DSDT.aml. Go to your root drive and delete the DSDT.aml file and drag and drop the new, patched DSDT.aml file.
Now restart your computer, you should not have to enter any commands and it will boot automatically using 4 cores.

mcgee
07-12-2009, 04:20 PM
uofamis you are the man! I want to make sure your contribution do not go unappreciated. i am new to everything mac and have been discovering a whole new world of frustrations, but am quit proud of how far iv'e gotten in the last 3 weeks with the help of folks like you. my new audio workstation is now complete (as soon as my delta 1010 PCIx replacement card comes). I couldn't be more stoked ive been racking my brain an wallet trying to get my quad core running/stable for over three weeks and with a fresh install combining what has been working for me previously and your guide all my cores are rockin. sports guy if you haven't gotten your machine polished up yet i'd recommend starting with a clean slate and following this guide to the t. Thanks again to all who contribute for no other gain than to benefit the community.

CPU intel Q9550
mobo Gigabyte EP35-DS3L w/ onboard Lan and Audio AL888
RAM 8Gb DDR2 667
Nvidia Gforce 7300GT 256Mb video card
dual boot winXP64/OSX86 all completely working...so far

crimsonredmk
07-12-2009, 05:31 PM
uofamis22, I love you. :P

All 4 cores working! I remember a while ago BIOSes used to be patched like this and rereleased, this is the same exact thing and it works 100% to the letter. Thanks a million dude.

So I guess that ends my experience with installing Leopard on my Studio 540. Everything works perfectly and 100%. It's been a pleasure working with you guys. :)

Edit: My Xbench score is 151.14. The hard drive really brought it down (WD Green Power...), but the CPU Test score was 157.91 and thread test was 478.73. Hell yeah. Not bad. :)

uofamis22
07-12-2009, 07:48 PM
No problem guys, with the help I received at the uphuck forum I was able to take what advice Pere provided and hopefully put it in a format that most people can follow.

I am now trying to dual boot Windows 7 and OSX. Once Windows 7 is installed, I can no longer gain access to OSX. Apparently Windows 7 creates about a 200mb hidden drive that really screws things up and requires tweaking to get this working. I believe there are other forums on this but I haven't taken the time to resolve the problem.

I haven't tested my speeds yet, what program did you use to do this?

uofamis22
07-13-2009, 01:05 AM
If anyone can get the ATi Radeon HD 3450 video card working at full capacity please post detailed steps. As noted above, I have the Nvidia 9500 but I would also like to figure out how to get the 3450 card running. I have no idea how to add or remove a kext so it would need to be detailed steps.

SportsGuy
07-13-2009, 02:00 AM
If anyone can get the ATi Radeon HD 3450 video card working at full capacity please post detailed steps. As noted above, I have the Nvidia 9500 but I would also like to figure out how to get the 3450 card running. I have no idea how to add or remove a kext so it would need to be detailed steps.

The closest I could get was a light blue screen, but it was in the whole monitor! haha, but I might just buy a new card, too, and put the 3450 in an old computer, maybe.

and thanks a TON for the guide!

crimsonredmk
07-13-2009, 09:00 PM
Xbench score jumped to 166.16 after installing NVInstaller (vanilla) and removing the Device ID from Boot.plist - of course, this is for the Nvidia 8600GT.

I had the same problem with the Radeon 3450 (blue screen) and no one seems to have it working properly.

SportsGuy
07-14-2009, 02:04 AM
what do you mean by this?:

after installing NVInstaller (vanilla) and removing the Device ID from Boot.plist

uofamis22
07-14-2009, 05:20 PM
Xbench score jumped to 166.16 after installing NVInstaller (vanilla) and removing the Device ID from Boot.plist - of course, this is for the Nvidia 8600GT.

I had the same problem with the Radeon 3450 (blue screen) and no one seems to have it working properly.

Is that a large jump? Where do you see the majority of the performance gains? I wonder at what level it compares to an actual MAC?

SportsGuy has a good question, what exactly did you do (in detail) to get this going?

crimsonredmk
07-15-2009, 04:35 PM
Majority were in graphics since the NVInstaller drivers enabled Quartz Extreme on my 8600GT, not my Radeon HD 3450. In case you do have an Nvidia card and can't get Quartz Extreme through EFIStudio or OSXTools, download NVInstaller and remove "device-id" lines from com.apple.Boot.plist - only for Nvidia cards!

uofamis22
07-16-2009, 05:33 PM
Hi Crimsonredmk,

Okay, I currently cannot check if I have quartz extreme but my guess is that I do. I can find out by looking at the Mac Info. If I do have this, do I need to do anything?

Also, at what point did you install the NVInstaller, at the initial install with the disk?

crimsonredmk
07-17-2009, 05:22 PM
No, after logging in and everything. I didn't install any video drivers at Mac OS X Install - you can check for Quartz Extreme in the System Profiler under Graphics.

uofamis22
07-29-2009, 05:54 AM
Crimsonredmk, lend me a hand. Within System Info under Graphics, it says Quartz Extreme Not Supported. I downloaded OSXTools and enabled Quartz Extreme, however, upon restart it did not enable it. I then downloaded EFIStudio and my video card was not even listed so I didn't do anything with this. I have a 9500 and I believe the highest it went to was a 8600 or 8800. I then downloaded NVInstaller v.52.pkg and installed "Vanilla," like you. However, I have no idea what to do from here. To find the com.apple.Boot.plist file, I have to find the following directory:
Root/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

I then proceed to open the com.apple.boot.plist file in textedit. However, I do not see anything that resembles "device-id" lines. Here is what I get:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
<key>Boot Graphics</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Quiet Boot</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>
<key>device-properties</key>
<string>420200000100000001000000360200000d00000002010c00d0 41030a000000000101060000010101060000007fff04000e00 00004e00560050004d00000020000000010000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000220000005600 520041004d002c0074006f00740061006c00730069007a0065 00000008000000000000401c00000064006500760069006300 65005f00740079007000650000000f0000004e5644412c5061 72656e740e0000006e0061006d00650000000b000000646973 706c617922000000400030002c006400650076006900630065 005f00740079007000650000000b000000646973706c617922 000000400031002c006400650076006900630065005f007400 79007000650000000b000000646973706c6179100000006d00 6f00640065006c0000001a0000006e5669646961204765466f 726365203935303020475420000000400031002c0063006f00 6d00700061007400690062006c00650000000e0000004e5644 412c4e564d616314000000400030002c006e0061006d006500 0000120000004e5644412c446973706c61792d411400000040 0031002c006e0061006d0065000000120000004e5644412c44 6973706c61792d4220000000400030002c0063006f006d0070 0061007400690062006c00650000000e0000004e5644412c4e 564d6163100000004e00560043004100500000001800000004 000000000003000400000000000007000000001e0000007200 6f006d002d007200650076006900730069006f006e00000004 000000</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Can you guide me through this? Thanks

uofamis22
07-29-2009, 02:15 PM
I figured out there was a new version of the NVinstaller, 9f23Installer.pkg. However, I am still in the same position. Let me know

pilotError
07-31-2009, 05:44 AM
If you are using the Kexts, you need to remove the device property string out of your boot.plist

uofamis22
07-31-2009, 01:54 PM
I have no idea what that means.

crimsonredmk
08-02-2009, 06:45 AM
Remove all of this:

<key>device-properties</key>
<string>420200000100000001000000360200000d00000002 010c00d041030a000000000101060000010101060000007fff 04000e0000004e00560050004d000000200000000100000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000002200 00005600520041004d002c0074006f00740061006c00730069 007a006500000008000000000000401c000000640065007600 6900630065005f00740079007000650000000f0000004e5644 412c506172656e740e0000006e0061006d00650000000b0000 00646973706c617922000000400030002c0064006500760069 00630065005f00740079007000650000000b00000064697370 6c617922000000400031002c00640065007600690063006500 5f00740079007000650000000b000000646973706c61791000 00006d006f00640065006c0000001a0000006e566964696120 4765466f726365203935303020475420000000400031002c00 63006f006d00700061007400690062006c00650000000e0000 004e5644412c4e564d616314000000400030002c006e006100 6d0065000000120000004e5644412c446973706c61792d4114 000000400031002c006e0061006d0065000000120000004e56 44412c446973706c61792d4220000000400030002c0063006f 006d00700061007400690062006c00650000000e0000004e56 44412c4e564d6163100000004e005600430041005000000018 00000004000000000003000400000000000007000000001e00 000072006f006d002d007200650076006900730069006f006e 00000004000000</string>

Sorry, got device-id and devide-properties mixed up.

uofamis22
08-03-2009, 05:08 PM
Perfect, it worked. I really didn't expect it to be that easy.

uofamis22
08-09-2009, 08:10 PM
FYI, I was able to upgrade to 10.5.8 without any problems, that I can tell so far.

crimsonredmk
08-14-2009, 05:46 AM
10.5.8 upgraded here as well, no problems at all, nothing broke, no kexts to back up, nothing.

jtillwick
08-15-2009, 09:32 AM
I have a GA-EP45T-DS3R running a q9550 Core 2 Quad. System Profiler does not show an entry for Processor Name. This is used by many programs to determine PPC vs Intel. Since mine does not exist, many programs assume PPC and it causes issues. How can I fix this annoying issue and just get my processor name to show up properly?

uofamis22
08-16-2009, 03:22 AM
I am sure this is a very common problem, the time between my Windows install and my OSX install does not match. It isn't a huge deal, just more annoying than anything. I can manually set one and then it changes the other. They are never in sync. Any fixes for this?

SportsGuy
08-16-2009, 07:23 PM
Has anyone with the 540 been able to get the memory card reader slots (or whatever its called) working?

or the Radeon 3450, but I also doubt that...

crimsonredmk
08-28-2009, 10:50 PM
Anyone try Snow Leopard yet? I'll give it a go tonight...

SportsGuy
09-07-2009, 02:21 PM
Anyone try Snow Leopard yet? I'll give it a go tonight...

any results?

crimsonredmk
09-10-2009, 01:26 AM
Yep, Snow Leopard 100% working using retail DVD, installed onto 2nd partition as a clean install using OSInstall.mpkg from Leopard. Grab a couple of Kexts from that Windows Skydrive site and such, drop in your DSDT.aml and boot.plist and it'll work great :D Even better than Leopard - no kernel panics all week!

crimsonredmk
09-16-2009, 11:55 PM
10.6.1 installed from Software Update, no problems whatsoever. Still using 32-bit kernel because I need MacFUSE for my work. Hurry up Logitech, release updated mouse drivers for 10.6!

bsiv
09-18-2009, 11:35 PM
I too have a Dell Studio 540 and would like to install Snow Leopard on it. While not a beginner, I would really appreciate it if you could post detailed instructions on how you got Snow working on your Studio 540. PLEASE HELP! I know you mentioned airdrive or something, but I have no idea what that is. Can you please attach all relevant kexts, etc. to your reply?

Thank you SO MUCH!
-Ken

uofamis22
09-26-2009, 09:23 PM
Hey crimsonredmk,

I haven't been back for about a month now. I see you got SL working on your Studi 540. Like bsiv, would you mind posting detailed steps?

xXrkidXx
09-26-2009, 10:16 PM
im looking into buying a Dell Inspiron 545 with almost the exact same specs as SportsGuys comp.. my only concern it the ATi graphics card... any ideas yet?

also thanks for the guide on how to get all 4 cores working! i cant wait to try it out.

SportsGuy
10-14-2009, 02:31 AM
im looking into buying a Dell Inspiron 545 with almost the exact same specs as SportsGuys comp.. my only concern it the ATi graphics card... any ideas yet?

also thanks for the guide on how to get all 4 cores working! i cant wait to try it out.

we have already gotten all four cores working. also nothing works with the radeon 3450. others probably would work. and i also haven't gotten snow leopard due to already having too many partitions and no external drives...

xXrkidXx
10-14-2009, 02:57 AM
we have already gotten all four cores working. also nothing works with the radeon 3450. others probably would work. and i also haven't gotten snow leopard due to already having too many partitions and no external drives...

wait... u have the 3450, how do you have video??? and at what res and what else haha

SportsGuy
10-23-2009, 01:13 AM
wait... u have the 3450, how do you have video??? and at what res and what else haha
I said I don't have it working, and other video cards would probably work. I can still watch videos, it's just that it looks bad. My whole monitor isn't filled up, but the resolution isn't at the lowest. ha you know what i mean?

xXrkidXx
10-23-2009, 01:32 AM
I said I don't have it working, and other video cards would probably work. I can still watch videos, it's just that it looks bad. My whole monitor isn't filled up, but the resolution isn't at the lowest. ha you know what i mean?

Sort of... You mean you can see OS X and you can boot and use it, without having to buy a new video card? and If all else fails.. im just gonna get an nVidea card... but hopefully thanks to the new iMacs they will give us ATi support :D(there going to use ATi cards in them... WOO Straight outta the box!)

riffmaker
10-28-2009, 12:44 AM

In order for this installation guide to work appropriately, you will need to have near similar hardware configurations than what I posted below:

Go into the bios and change the Integrated Peripherals from RAID to ATA. Additionally, disable SpeedStep. This is critical, it will not work without doing this.

If a hard drive does not appear under the Select a Destination, click on the following: Utilities > Disk Utility. Select a hard drive > click on erase tab > select Volume Format “Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and click erase.

Now the “Select a Destination” is back and a hard drive should appear. IMPORTANT. You must select Customize. The install disc (iAtkos v7) will have pre-selected drivers. Only install what is listed below for a Studio 540 with the same specs as those noted above:

iAtkos V7 Main System
Chameleon v2
/Extra directory
DSDT
AppleDecrypt
AppleSMBIOS netkas
APIC driver
Disabler
DVI/DVI (nVidia)
Intel SATA/IDE
Voodoo HDA driver
Realtek R1000
Post-Install Actions

Install the Video driver that corresponds to your video card. I had a 1GB Nvidia 9500GT (dual DVI) card and installed the DVI/DVI driver under Nvidia.

9. Once installed you will need to boot off of the hard drive with the OSX. Hit any key once Cameleon starts to load. Until you patch the OS, you will have to boot into the OS each time by using the following commands: cpus=1 –v or you can probably boot using cpus=2 –v as well.

10. Now you should be in the OS. You will need to patch the DSDT.aml file which is hidden under your root drive. To unhide folders/files, go into your root drive and within the search, type in hide. You should be provided with an Application called Show-Hide Files. Click on this to show hidden files.

11. Now you will need to download the DSDT_Patcher. You should be able to find the patcher at the following site: http://uphuck.ggrn.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2987 (http://uphuck.ggrn.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2987)
Within, there is another link to directly download the patcher: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php? ... t&id=38192 (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=38192)
At the time of this tutorial I used DSDT Patcher 1.0.1e version of the patcher. If you are having trouble finding this file you could probably run a Google search. When you open the DSDT Patcher folder, you should have the following files/folders:
- Readme
- Tools
Open up the DSDT Patcher file, a terminal will launch. Next it will say, Press any key to continue. Go ahead and press Enter on your keyboard. Now the last line will state the following: Which OS to Emulate [0=Darwin, 1=WinXP, 2=WinVista]. Go ahead and hit 0 for Darwin and press Enter again.
Now if you go back to the DSDT Folder where the three files were originally located (the DSDT Patcher, Readme and Tools), you will notice two additional files/folders were created:
- Debug
- dsdt.aml
Go ahead and open up the Debug folder, locate a file called dsdt.dsl. Right click on this file and open it with TextEdit (this is an application located within the Applications folder). Once this file is open, locate the Alias CPU section (just run a search and type in the word CPU). For my computer, there were only two results which looked like this:
{
Alias (P002, CPU2)
Alias (P004, CPU4)
}
Go ahead and delete/clean the Alias lines so the end result should look something like this:
{
}
Go ahead and save the file and close it. Now drag and drop the dsdt.dsl file to your desktop, or anywhere else for that matter. Go back to your DSDT Patcher folder, delete the Debug folder and the dsdt.aml file (NOT the dsdt.dsl file you just saved to your desktop).
Double click on your hard drive and go to Applications and find the Terminal (just type in Terminal in the finder if you have having trouble). Before opening the Terminal application, make sure the DSDT Patcher terminal has been closed. Now open the Terminal application. Now drag and drop the DSDT Patcher file which is located within your DSDT Patcher folder in the Terminal. Hit the spacebar and drag and drop the dsdt.dsl file (the one you saved to your desktop) into the Terminal. Now hit Enter, it will not look like much happened and you will be back to a similar terminal window that you saw when you first opened up the DSDT Patcher terminal. It will ask you to Press any key to continue. Go ahead and hit enter and then select 0 for the Darwin OS to emulate and hit enter again. Now if you don’t have any errors you should be good to go. Lets go ahead and open up the new dsdt.aml file which has been created within the DSDT Patcher folder once again in TextEdit. Run a search on the word CPU, you should not find anything. My current version, the unpatched version of the DSDT.aml file which is located (hidden) within the root drive looks like this on the fourth line:

Notice CPU has been removed. Okay, now take the patched version of the dsdt.aml file located within the DSDT Patcher folder and rename it to DSDT.aml. Go to your root drive and delete the DSDT.aml file and drag and drop the new, patched DSDT.aml file.
Now restart your computer, you should not have to enter any commands and it will boot automatically using 4 cores.

Thank you so much uofamis22!! I used your guide and now have all four cores working! :D I have Q9450 Quad Core CPU and ASUS P5Q-E mobo... Leopard is now fully working :) One last step is to run Snow :) Thank you very much and all others on this forum whom post helped me :)

crimsonredmk
10-30-2009, 06:20 AM
Writing a Snow Leopard install guide right now. I decided to try out Windows 7 but it's just not right...so I'm writing as I go along. This guide will install the 32-bit, regular ole' mainstream retail Snow Leopard.

You'll need to have 2 hard drives (or 2 partitions, but I haven't messed with that), an exiswting copy of Leopard installed, and obviously a Snow Leo DVD (retail!).

Basically so far...install 10.5 on another HD, one that you won't need anymore (not where you'll install Snow). Format the Snow drive to HFS+, GUID. It has to be GUID.

Boot into 10.5, pop in 10.6 DVD. You can't install from a mounted image file.

In Finder's "Go" menu, click "Go to folder..." and type "/Volumes/SNOWLEODVDNAME/System/Installation/Packages

Open OSInstall.mpkg (not .pkg). Continue to hard drive selection. Choose your formatted, clean Snow drive. Click Customize and UNCHECK ALL PRINTER DRIVERS!!!! IT WILL FAIL UNLESS YOU DO SO. I left only the Base checked. Install. If it fails, reformat and try again, unchecking more Customize options.

Install completes. DO NOT REBOOT YET!!!

You'll need this set of files: http://www.mediafire.com/?zun5nwjyonz

Extract to your 10.5 desktop. Copy over all of those kexts into /Volumes/SNOWLEOHD/System/Lib/Extensions/, chmod 755, and chown root:wheel them. Copy the prefpane somewhere to that volume as well. You'll be double-clicking that once you reboot to install the audio preference pane.

Now, in Terminal, copy over 2 files from your existing 10.5 install to your 10.6 install:

cp -R /DSDT.aml /Volumes/SNOWLEOHD/
cp -R /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist /Volumes/SNOWLEOHD/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

Your EFI Studio settings should carry over to SnowLeopard without a problem. The boot.plist should too, but see the addition you'll need to make at the end of this guide.

FINALLY...update your bootloader.

Install: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=55844

Install that to the SnowLeoHD, not the 10.5 HD you're currently on. It might default to install on the 10.5 drive. In that case, run the installer twice to install on the SnowLeo drive.

sudo reboot. Boot with arch=i386
I recommend adding that to your Boot.plist.

Welcome.

Update to 10.6.1...all updates are safe.

Forgive the crappy quality of this post. It's 12:51AM and I just got done installing Snow Leopard and wrote this as I went along. Ask questions if in doubt.

uofamis22
11-04-2009, 02:41 PM
I am glad we could help, I did my best with the guide but many others contributed.

uofamis22
11-04-2009, 02:46 PM
Thanks for posting the guide. I will have to give this a try mid month. Some areas seem a bit difficult but I will ping you with any questions.

Have you noticed any performance increases with SL?

xXrkidXx
11-04-2009, 02:52 PM
uofamis, ive heard people say that there getting decreased performance..

mr_kite
12-04-2009, 10:04 AM
Intel DG41ty Motherboard with same realtek network and same sound chip wit same 2.3gz quad Q8200 and same Nvidia 9500GT graphics card.

I installed IPC 10.5.6 Universal using dual card Nvinject AND 1024 NVnject together which Gives dual screen at 768x1360 and then upgraded to Ideneb 10.5.8 and it shows processor with 4 cores. No editing or strings required. If I make strings I get Quartz Extreme. with just these two NVinject drivers I only get QuartzGL.

iAtkos V7 Main System
Chameleon v2
/Extra directory
DSDT
AppleDecrypt
AppleSMBIOS netkas
APIC driver
Disabler
DVI/DVI (nVidia)
Intel SATA/IDE
Voodoo HDA driver
Realtek R1000
Post-Install Actions

- Readme
- Tools
- Debug
- dsdt.aml
{
Alias (P002, CPU2)
Alias (P004, CPU4)
}
{
}

SportsGuy
01-15-2010, 02:57 AM
has anyone gotten the ati radeon 3450 working?

crimsonredmk
01-22-2010, 05:46 AM
Nope...still no luck and I don't think it'll ever be supported. I'm still running my crappy Nvidia 8600GT (crappy with a 23" display)...

SportsGuy
01-23-2010, 02:17 AM
I finally gave in and ordered a 9500GT, with a pretty nice 24" Monitor ;)

I don't game or anything so its perfect for me

superyui
01-24-2010, 06:12 AM
crimsonredmk ,
Thank you for you wrote that how to install Snow Leopard.:)

You wrote that instraction next;
You'll need this set of files: http://www.mediafire.com/?zun5nwjyonz

But, it was already Link out...:'(
I can not found that files yet.
What was it? If you know other link. Please help it.

Did you succsess dual boot of Windows7 and Snow Leopard?

crimsonredmk
02-20-2010, 04:14 PM
Try this URL: EDIT, not all files included actually work...making a new package and uploading it soon.

crimsonredmk
02-21-2010, 03:44 AM
Alright, here are kexts I use on Snow Leopard. I used the 10.5 ICH8 (SATA) chipset driver because it was the only one that worked. If anyone finds a Snow Leopard 64-bit driver, please let me know.

I uploaded to more places this time around. These are all the same file. Just extract it to SNOWHD/Extra/Extensions and Chameleon will load them first on boot.

http://www.filedropper.com/studio540snowkexts
http://www.zshare.net/download/72825682f1b9a0a1/
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=53M2VA55

farenheit
03-10-2010, 05:55 PM
Hi guys,

I recently bit the bullet and decided (after getting a MacBookPro) to try getting OSX running on my slightly modded Studio 540. It took about 5 days of effort (off and on not continuous), but I have succeeded! I'll do a full write up on what I did once I have confirmed that it did actually *work* - by doing it all again from scratch! :)

Anyhew: I do have a few issues with it, namely the USB ports at the back will not recognise any keyboards or mice I connect. I have tried 2 different keyboards and 3 different brands of mice. My 8GB USB Corsair GT drive is, however, fine. I am having to use the front ports next to the card readers which is rather annoying in the mean time.

In System Profile the rear ports appear to be listed as "USB High-Speed" where-as everything else is just "USB".

Is this sort of problem usually cured by a custom DSDT file?

For the record I have not yet actually done anything with the DSDT as I find the whole thing confusing and am still reading - but if anyone has suggestions they would be greatly appreciated!

Second annoyance is that the SATA Controllers are not identified, so when looking (again in) System Profile there's just the HDD and DVD drive hanging off... nothing! Doesn't seem to matter too much - they work!

Finally: the monitor / desktop arrangement thingy does not work. I can drag my screens (I have 2 monitors connected to an ATI HD4890) but the main monitor is fixed to the second screen. I guess I will just reconnect the DVI cables ;)

Otherwise, I wanted to thank all the previous posters for the wealth of information in this thread and others. It proved to be invaluable and I hope that once I have redone the whole setup / reinstall and confirmed it works, that I can contribute back my own experiences.

Cheers,
Dave

dnicolaou
03-27-2010, 03:42 PM
My system:

Dell Studio 540, Core2 Quad 8200 @ 2.33, Intel G45+ICH10R, PCI Express x16. 6GB RAM.
ATI Radeon HD 3450 (0x95C5), Realtek HD Audio.
Samsung HD642JJ and WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA
TS-H353B TSST DVD ROM and PLDS DVD+RW DH16A6S optical
Dlink WDA-2320 Wireless and Realtek RTL8168C(P) Ethernet

BIOS v 1.0.7 settings: SATA, USB Legacy

NB: If your hardware varies from above, you obviously will need to evaluate whether other kexts would be appropriate for the individual hardware.

I installed on an otherwise empty GUID 2nd HDD after Win7 was installed to first HDD.

Step 1: Prepare modified retail dmg from working Leo install:
Download important files:
http://rapidshare.com/files/368797667/Archive.zip.html
MD5: 5A3164DAD14E23365692A601A9E5B345

Step 2: Create RW dmg on desktop
Modify with IOATAFamily kext (solves problem: successful installer boot, but no drives detected by installer)
Restore to GUID formatted >= 8GB USB drive
Copy additional files from download to folder on USB drive (kexts [vide infra], kext utility, Chameleon v2)

Step 3: Boot from USB, run Disk Utility, and format HDD GUID with partitions as desired. Install.
(Custom install, base system only; on reboot, you may have trouble with USB device detection; unplug and plug back in and/or change USB ports (only my front two worked) to get KB/mouse. This gets fixed below.)

Step 4: Modify installation

Install kexts by dragging to kext utility:

EvOreboot,NullCPUPowerManagement,SleepEnabler (Allows sleep/wake)
IO80211 kext (for your wireless adapter! Attached is the one for my Dlink 2320, but if yours is based on the Atheros chipset, should be able to change the device ID in the plist.)
VoodooHDA (sound for my board, not perfect but works)
natit_x2000 kexts (video, not perfect but works)
IOPCIFamily (great USB fix; stops annoying failure to mount USB devices and only using USB 2 ports, as well as "Restart still waiting on AppleUSBUHCI" on shutdown and a variety of USB errors on startup) - big props to slice for this kext!
fakeSMC (eliminates need for DSMOS, decrypt) - further props to netkas for this one!

Modify Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist for boot flags: <key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>"Graphics Mode"=1920x1200x32</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-v</string>

Install PCEFI 10.1
Install Chameleon

Step 5: Reboot and you should be home.

I was able to upgrade to 10.6.2, just didn’t install the wireless updates (breaks the atheros kept for my wireless adapter; YMMV).

What I got:
Fully functional 10.6.2 including WiFi, sleep (though monitor screen does not turn off), awakens fine and reboots without “Restart still waiting on AppleUSBUHCI” on shutdown or USB errors on startup, sound.

I’m a relative noob, so if anyone (everyone?) smarter than me has suggestions, things I did or didn’t do/need to do/need, please post!

Hope this helps the Studio 540 crowd.

SportsGuy
03-27-2010, 03:48 PM
What did you get your screen resolution to be?

dnicolaou
03-27-2010, 04:40 PM
1920 x 1200...uses ~80% of my 26" Dell HD

CheeseFi
06-14-2010, 05:10 PM
Hi guys... just wanted to register to say a big 'thank you' for your help!

I followed uofamis22's guide and have a 540 working with 10.5.8 :cool:

I'm tempted to try to upgrade to 10.6; I've failed to follow Crimson's 2HDD guide a few times, despite thinking I know what I'm doing. When I get to the OSX boot screen some text appears on top of it and then I get a note telling me to reboot.

My 8GB USB stick has gone AWOL so I can't follow dnicolaou's guide at the moment... may try at some point.

Odd problems with 10.5.8:

Zotac 9500GT reported as 512MB instead of 1GB after following uofamis22's meanderings to get his card working with hardware acceleration. I don't think this'll bother me much.

USB troubles - on some boots it fails to recognise my kb/mouse and I have to unplug/replug. Fix posted by dnicolaou for 10.6 doesn't work with 10.5.8 (no surprise!).

Sleep/wake not working.

Thanks again for all your help guys, very useful thread!

(Dell 540 slim, C2Q 8200, 4GB, 0.5+1.5+2TB, Zotac 9500GT 1GB,