PDA

View Full Version : Transferring from genuine Mac disk

TechSgtChen
05-26-2009, 05:00 AM
Okay, I finally got my Hackintosh up and running. Thank you, PCWizComputer for iPC! Worked like a charm on my Gigabyte P35-DS3R.

But now how do I get my old data to the new machine? I have years of data that have come through untold cycles of Archive & Install upgrades on a long string of genuine Macs. I considered using Carbon Copy Cloner, but figured that may overwrite or delete kexts necessary for the Hackintosh. I'm running vanilla kernel, but obviously some modified kexts are in the system. What's the safest way to move things like user accounts to the new system? I know sometimes applications put keys or software dongles in hidden directories in user accounts, which is why I considered CCC instead of moving the account directory manually. Any tips?

Taisto
05-26-2009, 08:35 AM
Have you tried using the "Migration Assistant" utility ? It seems to work fine on Hacks.

Aydinz
05-26-2009, 09:07 AM
you have a P35-DS3R we should be able to get that working on retail like i have and 2 other people on this forum with the same board have :) and umm about the old data what exactly are we talking about here. just music movies and pics and stuff or preference files or system files? because depending on the data your transferring there is different ways of approching it.

TechSgtChen
05-27-2009, 11:17 PM
Have you tried using the "Migration Assistant" utility ? It seems to work fine on Hacks.

Thanks. I'd forgotten that Migration Assistant could copy from a bare drive as well as a complete system. Up and running now.