PDA

View Full Version : Help choosing redistro for HP DV9743cl laptop.

gcrodz
05-29-2009, 05:20 PM
Hey!

I have been really interested in trying out OS X on my laptop. My laptop is an HP dv9743cl model. Based on the following specs/hardware...between iDeneb, iAtKos, Leo4All and any other redistro out there...which would you recommend for the better compatibility? I should add that Ethernet and WiFi would both be awesome if supported, however, in any case WiFi is indeed well supported, then Ethernet might just be a bonus and not a priority...if both work then awesome.

Microprocessor 2.10 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor T7250 Processor
Memory 2048 MB
Video Graphics NVIDIA GeForce Go 8600M GS Video Memory Up to 1279 MB (512MB dedicated)
Hard Drive SATA 320 GB (160GB + 160GB) (5400 rpm)
Multimedia Drive LightScribe Super Multi 8X DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Support
Display 17.0" WXGA+ High-Definition BrightView Widescreen Display (1440 x 900)
Network Card Realtek RTL 8168B/8111B FamilyPCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Link(NDIS 6.2) - Integrated 10/100 Ethernet LAN
Wireless Connectivity Intel PRO/Wireless 4965AGN
Sound RealTek Audio Chipset - Altec Lansing speakers

Here's the link of the detailed specs of it:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c01297145

Thanks and best regards,
//gil

thorazine74
05-30-2009, 10:12 AM
All the distros are mostly the same thing, only difference would be if you want to get a completely working machine out of the box, but its almost imposible for any distro to achieve that. Anyway thats not always the best route to the cleanest install posible, only the easiest.
If that laptop has an Intel Chipset with AHCI support you can install pretty much anything including the retail install, most things should work except maybe the wireless and the audio of course. If thats too much for you maybe you should try iPC 10.5.6, with the default settings its pretty close to the retail install, but you would have to fix hardware issues afterwards.
If you just want a simple install with everything out of the box (almost imposible I warn you) someone else with a similar machine should have to advice you.

Taisto
05-30-2009, 10:43 AM
What i can suggest is - use new distros. Dont go for "kalyway 10.5.2" or something like this. Those things are really ancient ( and i dont mean anything wrong by it ) and you'll probably face many problems ( not that they cant be fixed later, but you can save yourself lots of effort ). So try iPC 10.5.6, new XxX 10.5.6 Final, or newest Leo4all. Looking at your specs, it should all work - though i dont know about chipset. You didnt list it.

gcrodz
05-30-2009, 11:27 AM
What i can suggest is - use new distros. Dont go for "kalyway 10.5.2" or something like this. Those things are really ancient ( and i dont mean anything wrong by it ) and you'll probably face many problems ( not that they cant be fixed later, but you can save yourself lots of effort ). So try iPC 10.5.6, new XxX 10.5.6 Final, or newest Leo4all. Looking at your specs, it should all work - though i dont know about chipset. You didnt list it.

My chipset is listed as an Intel ICH8 chipset (MoBo). Sorry about that.

Anyway, I do know perhaps some fine tweaking is required(and I'm fine with that). I was just wondering about the different distro's and if they had any advantages over another. I might try retail, (and/or) one of the distro's mentioned and see how it goes from there.

Thanks for both of your inputs :)

//gil