PDA

View Full Version : Intel Leopard Retail Install w/out...

Undead Surfer
06-01-2009, 08:43 PM
Title: Installing the retail version of Mac OS X Leopard without booting from an installer disc or disk.

Requirements:
-Working OS X install.
-Retail Leopard Install Disc.
-Chameleon Bootloader.

Notes: I've only tested this on an Intel processor as I don't have any AMD hardware available anymore. As per one of the replies, this also works on AMD hardware - remember to install your AMD compatible kernel after install.

History:
For my working OS X install, I had a working installation of iATKOS 5i going.

I used a SATA hard drive. 300GB. Partitioned it with 2 partitions. The first was 280 GB and the second was 20GB. The partitions were done as GUID.

The second partition (20 GB) was used for the iATKOS 5i installation. Once the iATKOS 5i installation was up and running, it was time for the party to get started.

Guide:
1. Insert the Leopard Install Disc. If you are using an imaged copy of the retail disc then mount it up.

An icon titled "Mac OS X Install DVD" should appear on your desktop.

2. From the Finder's menubar, click "Go" and then click "Go to Folder..."

3. In the dialog box that pops up, type /Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages/

4. Click Ok or press Enter.

A folder should then pop up with a lot of package files.

5. Scroll down and double click on OSInstall.mpkg"

Note that there's an OSInstall.pkg as compared to the OSInstall.mpkg. The .mpkg is what you want for this step.

6. Go through the install. (I installed onto my 280 GB partition in this step).

7. Once the installation is complete, fire up the Chameleon Bootloader and install it onto the partition you just installed the retail copy of Leopard onto.

The installer will also create a folder called Extra on the root of the hard drive.

8. At a minimum, drop a decrypter (AppleDecrypt or dsmos) into the /Extra/Extensions/ folder and a disabler for AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement extension.

If you need additional dirvers, make sure you drop them into that folder as well.

9. Reboot and fire up your new Leopard installation. You should be able to update from Apple without a problem.

Thoughts:
-This should be possible from a VMWare installation as well.

I hope that this can help someone or even help save some time.

Disregard:
If someone does get it working from AMD hardware, it would be really appreciated if you could let me know so I can mention it here.

diskeeper
06-01-2009, 08:57 PM
Yes, working on AMD, I used the same way to install Retail on my config. The only one difference is replacing the mach_kernel to a compatible version before reboot.

xXrkidXx
06-01-2009, 08:59 PM
this is probably a noob question but when you say and Intel processor, you dont happen to mean a Pentium 4, would you? lol or do u mean Core 2 Duo

Undead Surfer
06-02-2009, 03:50 AM
this is probably a noob question but when you say and Intel processor, you dont happen to mean a Pentium 4, would you? lol or do u mean Core 2 Duo

I have to finish researching the definitive list but in the mean time, maybe this post:-

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=119071

can give you some insight into your question. Once I get a definitive list, I'll make sure to add it to my guide.

Diskeeper: Thanks a lot for letting me know. I appreciate it. Added the note to the guide.