PDA

View Full Version : Can't see some of my HDDs!!!

baron_harkonnen
06-02-2009, 12:16 AM
Hello,
I've tried installing OSx86 on ASUS Maximus formula Mother Board, Q6600 core 2 quad system, first with iATKOS v5, but after i found out that i did not have support for mine Network addapter i reinstalled OSx86 with iPC 10.5.6 final DVD - overall it had more hardwere support and other cool tools. But - i have faced a serious problem - it did not see 2 out of 6 HDDs.
i tried reinstalling without the Intel ICD10 SATA driver, but then the system won't load.
when i had the iAtkos version installed - it saw all 6 HDDs. Disk Utility also sees all HDDs - in both versions.
all HDDS are formated to NTFS, except the one that have 2 partitions - NTFS for vista, and Ext. Journal for mac

as i learned that adding KEXT post installation is not a big deal, i figuered that if ill install OSx86 weth iATKOS again, and add network adapter kext and other stuf later - but, strangely, i can't properly install osx86 from iAtkos anymore - it fails to load after instalation! and the strangest thing is - when i installed it the firs time (more or less succesfully)- i did not choose most of hardware drivers! i just chose disablers, bios enablers, kernel (voodoo 9.5.0) and vga adapter - and it workded! but not anymore - i think its somehow related to not installing ICH10 SATA driver (iPC version always fails to start without it).... while the iATKOS version does not load anymore - with or without it (though again - it did work without it the first time!)

i did not change anything in the bios. the only thing i did (though i can't see how can this be related - but anyway) i deleted SWAP partition that i had left after Linux installation. the first time i instaled iATKOS i had swap formated to Ext. Journal for mac (i could not delete it with macs Disk utility). afterwards i did delet it with partition magic from windows.

anyway, i need some advice on how to make my hdds to show in mac os...

P.S. i found out in BIOS an option for sata controllers - for each chanel it can be set to Enhanced, Disable, Compatible - all mine were set to Enhanced - which from what i can see give you options of IDE, ANSI (or whatever it's called) and some other option - can't remember. mine all set to IDE. but i do have a reason to think that maybe this Enhanced mode does other things in addition - becouse 2 of mine sata connections (total of 6) are Always set to Enhanced mode (it's what is written in bios description), and i have some suspicions that maybe those 2 HDDs that connected to them Do not show in OSx86....thogh again - it worked fine the firt time i installed OSx86....

Thanks in advance!

xXrkidXx
06-02-2009, 12:35 AM
i have this problem with my windows hardrive, the recovery drive shows, but I cant get the HD with the data to mount, still no fix yet, that ive heard of.

baron_harkonnen
06-04-2009, 01:16 AM
HA!
i did it.
installed from iATKOS but instead of using voodoo kernel i used fassl kernel
i did not select any ich10 drivers, just jmicron drivers i think
everything works fine - i can see all my HDDs!!!! ofcores i had to add yukon network adapter driver post installation from ipc dvd, and voodooHDA.kext for audio to work.

now iam trying to figure out how to back up all i have...i want to try to upgrade to 10.5.7, or at least install another video driver - NVinject doesent work very good - not smooth anymations, screen saver is slow....
also the Alt key on the KB is not acting as CMD key...it did with iPC...

baron_harkonnen
06-06-2009, 02:20 AM
hi,
i managed to screw up my last successful install with iAtkos dvd, anyway the keyboard didn't work very well, and i really missed the Apple's "welcome" animation :)!
anyway, i gave the iPC dvd last chance - and it worked! all HDDs are mounted and show in desktop!!! all of them!!!
the thing i did during the installation is selecting under Chipset Drivers - Intel ICHx SATA Drives instead of Intel ICH10 SATA Support!!!! and it worked!
i can't believe i didn't do it before....though i did think of doing so many times....

anyway, iam glad it worked out for me, and i hope this will help to those who have mounting HDD problems.
Good luck!