PDA

View Full Version : Cannot Boot From USB Hard Drive

Undead Surfer
06-11-2009, 03:10 AM
As my specs in my signature show, my motherboard is the P6N Diamond.

My retail installation sits on a SATA hard drive. I never been able to get my IDE to work whatsoever.

Recently, I've been trying to do an installation on an external USB drive. This is a USB hard drive enclosure with an IDE hard drive inside of it.

The installation is usually successful but when I try to boot from the USB drive, I get a:-

"Still waiting for root device".

Anyone have any insight into why I can't boot from the USB drive?

xXrkidXx
06-11-2009, 03:22 AM
http://www.infinitemac.com/f5/possible-solutions-for-still-waiting-for-root-device-t1467/

might be of some help?

Undead Surfer
06-11-2009, 03:33 AM
Nope.

I think it's a driver issue. After posting the question, I imaged my iATKOS 5i DVD onto the USB drive and was able to boot it as the installer.

The question now is which driver is it.

xXrkidXx
06-11-2009, 03:37 AM
maybe its your Southbridge? make sure your installing the right drivers for eveything :)

Undead Surfer
06-11-2009, 03:39 AM
These drivers should just be for allowing me to boot from a USB device. I extracted the drivers from the Extensions.mkext on the iATKOS 5i DVD. I'm going to sift through and see if I find the right one.

xXrkidXx
06-11-2009, 03:54 AM
LOL! that sounds like its gonna take awhile xD lol

Undead Surfer
06-11-2009, 02:16 PM
There was a difference of about 87-89 kernel extensions. I copied all of them in and it was able to boot to the GUI.

I'm currently using a non-standard USB keyboard so I got to the dialog box of Leopard telling me that it wants to detect my keyboard. It seems to have crashed as I'm only getting the beach ball when I click on ok.

Where do I go from here........?