PDA

View Full Version : AMD and Apple

erick2red
06-17-2009, 03:13 PM
Hey guys:
I don't want to get into the old cpu comparisong Intel vs AMD, but recently i got in my hands my first AMD processor and install Archlinux (a linux lightweight distro) (http://www.archlinux.org) in it, and it seems to me that runs smoother than my previuos Intel installs.
So that brought to my mind a question:

Why Apple don't give support to AMD processors?

I read recently on Apple's Snow Leopard press release about the cooperation betwwen Apple Inc. and AMD in the brand new OpenCL standard which will be available onSnow Leopard, and, my point is why they don't expand the cooperation.

So what you all think about it?

uman
06-17-2009, 03:42 PM
Hey guys:
Why apple don't give support to AMD processors?

Business decision. Apple needs to ensure an adequate supply of processors. That's why even when they were PowerPC, they forced the supply issue from both Motorola and IBM. And given AMD's financials (now and when Apple made their switch), Intel was the logical choice. Moreover, Intel never would have agreed to any second-sourcing from AMD.

Given the iPhone trends (ARM, and custom Apple chips), a more likely choice maybe a move away from generic PC hardware. Which would sink the nascent OSx86 scene.

I think OSx86 on laptops is already doomed. Most of the new budget lappies use incompatible graphics cards (Intel 4500, or ATI Radeon 3200), and Apple has dropped the price of laptops.

If Apple didn't have such a blindspot towards cheaper, configurable desktops, then would there even be an OSx86 scene (I mean who can resist f*ing around with kexts, bootloaders, DSDT etc :))

erick2red
06-17-2009, 03:52 PM
Intel never would have agreed to any second-sourcing from AMD

I just can think this as a reason.