View Full Version : [GUIDE] Gigabyte G31M-ES2L Retail Tutorial

Voyn1x
06-20-2009, 04:55 PM
What you need:

Your Retail DVD of Leopard.
A blank CD for the Boot CD.
A computer to burn an ISO.
A hard drive for installation.

Benefits of a retail installation against prepatched versions (iPC, iAtkos, iDeneb, Kalyway, JaS etc):

Full ability to use the inbuilt Software Update
Native OS X installation - nothing modified (legal in many countries! (if you use an original DVD)
A stable system

STEP 1 // Download the required files

All the files that needed for this board are attached below. Burn Boot132-G31M-ES2L.iso to a blank CD. Be sure to have access to the other files on another drive (a USB stick would suffice).

You will also need to download the Chameleon 2.0 bootloader (http://chameleon.osx86.hu/static/some-words-about-donation?ref=file_download/22/Chameleon-2.0-r431.pkg.zip), OSx86Tools (http://pcwizcomputer.com/osx86tools/) and TextMate (http://macromates.com/).

Within the attached Extra folder you will find:

A prepatched dsdt.aml for the G31M-ES2L
HDAEnabler.kext - Enables AppleHDA
VoodooPower.kext - Fixes Restart/Shutdown and enables SpeedStep
IOUSBFamily.kext - Stops USB drives being unmounted at Sleep

STEP 2 // Boot the Retail installation disk

Insert the Boot132 CD that you've just written and boot from it. You will see the ISOLINUX Loader.

When everything is loaded, remove the Boot CD and insert your Apple Leopard Retail DVD into your drive. You should see the word 'BOOT', when the DVD is recognized, press Enter.

It should now start to boot the Retail DVD, after a few minutes you will reach the OS X installation screen. :)

STEP 3 // Preparing the HD

Proceed through and select your language to enter the installation.

We now need to format the drive as HFS+. Open the 'Utilities' menu at the top and load up 'Disk Utility'. Select your disk from the menu on the left and open the Partition tab. Click the free space below the Volume Scheme dropdown then change the Volume Scheme to '1 Partition'.

Now, click the 'Options' button below and select 'GUID Partition table'. This step is very important! Click Ok to close and then Apply to format the disk.

Well done, your HD is now ready for Leopard (Y)

Quit Disc Utility to proceed with the installation.

STEP 4 // Configuring the installation

Accept the Terms of Use, select the drive you just prepared and continue.

Now if you wish, you can 'Customize' your installation. I normally uncheck the other languages, printer drivers and X11. This step is optional, but it will cut down the installation time.

Start the actual installation! Once the installation has finished you can either wait 30 seconds or click the 'Restart' button to reboot.

STEP 5 // First boot!

Now to the exciting part! :D

Remove the Retail DVD and insert the Boot132 CD into the drive. Currently, the HD is not able to boot the system on it's own, but we will change this shortly.

Boot using the CD as before. Once you get to the prompt, press Enter and type "80" if it's your primary disc or "81" if it's your secondary disc where Leopard is installed (normally it's 80). Hit Enter to boot the system!

When OS X has finished booting you will be presented with a nice Leopard intro video. Follow the steps to configure your system and reach the desktop.

STEP 6 // Make the system bootable on it's own

Firstly a little explanation about what we are about to do, to quote Munky:

When you format a GPT (GUID Partition Table) disk in Disk Utility, there is always a hidden, 200Mb partition created as the first partition on the disk. This is supposed to be a 200Mb FAT-32 partition used for storing EFI drivers, and is mandated by the EFI / GPT specs.

Apple honours the specs and so puts the 200Mb partition there. However, (and this is the important part...) *Apple dont use it!*

So we can hijack it and use it for our own ends.
Insert the USB drive or medium that contains the files you downloaded earlier, mount the Chameleon dmg and run the installer.

Just before you click install, select the 'Customize' button in the lower left hand corner and check 'Chameleon EFI HFS', this will install the bootloader to the hidden EFI partition, leaving your retail installation untouched.

http://voyn1x.infinitemac.com/tuts/Chameleon-EFI.png

Don't reboot just yet. We need to copy over the files for the board to the hidden EFI partition. Normally here you would need to enter some commands in Terminal, but I have created a basic EFI partition mounter script to help automate the process a little bit (for an explanation of what this script does, read though this thread (http://www.infinitemac.com/f19/howto-efi-partition-booting-zero-modification-installs-on-t1609/)). Double click the 'EFI Partiton Mounter' which you downloaded, you will be presented with a list of your drives. It should look similar to this:

/dev/disk0
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *931.5 Gi disk0
1: EFI 200.0 Mi disk0s1
2: Apple_HFS Vanilla 931.1 Gi disk0s2
/dev/disk1
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *189.9 Gi disk1
1: EFI 200.0 Mi disk1s1
2: Apple_HFS Time Machine 189.6 Gi disk1s2
I have highlighted above the numbers you need to pay attention to. Enter at the prompt the disk number containing the EFI partition you wish to mount. Occasionally this number changes so be sure to check the number each time.

Finder will then reload and you should see the EFI partition on your desktop.

Open up the EFI partition and replace the contents the Extra folder with my files. If you have done it correctly it should now look like this:

http://voyn1x.infinitemac.com/tuts/EFI-partition.png

We're almost there now! :)

Unfortunately to get the Realtek ALC883 audio working, I had to install one kext to /System/Library/Extensions as this wouldn't load from the EFI partition. Using OSx86Tools select 'Install kexts', and follow the prompts, selecting AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

Time to reboot without the CD. If successful, you should now be greeted with the Chameleon GUI, which will then proceed to boot your system. :cool:

STEP 7 // Finishing up

The last thing you will need to do is get your graphics card fully working. There are a few methods for this - Injectors, EFI strings and DSDT. Personally I prefer using a EFI string, to create this I used the inbuilt GFX string creator in OSx86Tools. This comes with many presets included but for my card I had to create my own as none of them worked for me.

After selecting/creating a string, open up the com.apple.boot.plist within Extra (using TextMate) and copy and paste the provided Hexadecimal EFI String within the device-properties section and save:

<key>device-properties</key>
<string> *String goes here* </string>
Within the Extra folder, you may have noticed a file called smbios.plist. This file is responsible for showing certain details within System profiler. You'll probably want to edit this to show your own memory (rather than mine).

STEP 8 // Apple Software Update

Don't be scared, run Apple Software Update ;)

Reboot...

Congrats, you are now running an up-to-date vanilla system!!

Download Boot132-G31M-ES2L.iso (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=A9PGA820) (6.47 MB)

milanca
06-20-2009, 07:07 PM
Excellent! Great guide for this mobo!

drbee
06-21-2009, 11:00 AM
Great guide. Thanks for this. I have only one small problem, With you Usb kext my usb don't work. Not a problem as they work if i remove it but without the awake function of course.. ;)

Voyn1x
06-21-2009, 06:39 PM
Great guide. Thanks for this. I have only one small problem, With you Usb kext my usb don't work. Not a problem as they work if i remove it but without the awake function of course.. ;)

Ah, the included IOUSBFamily.kext is for 10.5.7. If you update it should work :)

drbee
06-21-2009, 09:24 PM
:) i am on 10.5.7 but no luck. It works fine with the Retail one anyway. Thanks..

sk1nhd33t
07-15-2009, 10:29 PM
@ Voynix and others who tried this guide, does your auto sleep work on 10.5.7? on my end AUTO SLEEP doesnt work, sleep works fine using the apple menu + sleep but the time sleep using system preference doesnt seem to work. i have the same board but different method in installing retail, i might try this if auto sleep works.

Thanks for the reply.

Ianxxx
07-16-2009, 08:49 AM

How come awake function doesn't work it works on the Ga-g31m-s2l with the vanilla usb kext?
I thought this was fine with all ich7 boards?

Voyn1x
07-16-2009, 06:28 PM
@ Voynix and others who tried this guide, does your auto sleep work on 10.5.7? on my end AUTO SLEEP doesnt work, sleep works fine using the apple menu + sleep but the time sleep using system preference doesnt seem to work. i have the same board but different method in installing retail, i might try this if auto sleep works.

Thanks for the reply.

No auto sleep doesn't work on this board for me either :(, apparently it worked fine in 10.5.6. A few real mac users are also reporting this problem with 10.5.7 so I hope it will be fixed in the next update.

How come awake function doesn't work it works on the Ga-g31m-s2l with the vanilla usb kext?
I thought this was fine with all ich7 boards?

If drbee means his USB devices aren't being recognised after sleep, I don't have this problem. What I do have however, is all USB EHCI devices being recognised as not built-in and therefore being hard disconnected at sleep. After resuming i'm greeted with this:
http://voyn1x.infinitemac.com/usb-unmounted.png
The only solution i've found so far is using Slice's modified IOUSBFamily. I'm sure there's a way using DSDT but I haven't worked it out yet :(

cRuNciE
07-22-2009, 07:27 PM
I have already installed via Iatkos 10.5.7, everything works including sleep and shutdown, but when i reboot it just stops at a black screen?

Also, what exactly does the DSDT file do, and do i need it to fix the reboot problem?

Regarding sound, my sound works but SPDIF doesn't, is that the same with you guys?

many thanks!

Voyn1x
07-24-2009, 08:30 AM
To fix your reboot problem you'll need to install OpenHaltRestart out of Extra.zip.

The dsdt.aml file within the zip has patches which will allow you to boot without IntelCPUPMDisabler and makes TimeMachine work along with removing the uuid 35 console error in the process.

More information on DSDT can be found here (http://www.infinitemac.com/f84/a-quick-guide-to-dsdt-t3436/) :)

I haven't tested SPDIF myself, but i'm now using AppleHDA for sound utilising a dsdt patch and a plist only injector. It's not perfect yet, i'm getting a few sound assertion errors (which is why i haven't updated this guide) but you're welcome to give it a shot if you're interested?

sk1nhd33t
07-24-2009, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the guide i made an 80gb partiton and tried it a while ago and works as expected but i have some questions and some problems maybe someone can answer it?

tried this on a Q8200 - 2.33ghz stock speed no overclock, 10.5.6 retail DVD updated to combo 10.5.7.

1: Using the VoodooPower.kext temperature monitor is reporting the temp to be higher by 10c, without it its under 40-42c on light load but with it loaded it's 50+. Also tried voodoo light kext and the same thing. So i remove it for the meantime but im missing speedstep.

2. this method overclocks my processor? it now reads 2.43Ghz from 2.33 on about this mac.

3. should i be concern w this error? any way to fix it? or it's normal

kernel ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::getCPU_PSSData - _PSS evaluation failed

4. just bought a new aluminum apple keyboard (slim one w/o numpad), is it normal that upon sleep the keyboard cant wake the computer? on other keyboard this is working, just press any key and it wakes. im seeing an error too on my console im not sure if this is the one causing it

kernel Extension "com.apple.driver.AppleHIDKeyboard" has no explicit kernel dependency; using version 6.0.

5. IOUSBFamily.kext - tried the included kext and the USB flash sleep problems are gone but it cant detect my USB bluetooth dongle on start up so i remove it for the meantime. Looking for a fix.

Once again thanks for any reply and this very helpful guide, this help us noobs a lot :D

jdc1001
07-28-2009, 11:00 PM
Voyn1x - This guide is excellent, and helped me get my g31m-e2sl box up and running with 10.5.7 quickly. A few notes:

I was able to combine your guide with this one (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t160467.html) to allow me to boot from two 1TB drives in a RAID-0 arrray with Apple's sofrware RAID.
The IOUSBfamily.kext included in your extra folder prevented me from installing VMware Fusion - I received an error at the end of the install stating that the postflight script had failed to run. Removing the kext, and re-running the script from the VMWare installer package fixed things. My USB devices don't work after sleep, but besides that I'm good to go.

Thanks again!

mecanoiz
07-29-2009, 08:37 PM
i've installed a retail osx 10.5.7 on this board using chameleon en kexts loaded on EFI partition and everything works except airtunes.
I can ping the airport express but the airport util & itunes can't find it.
Tried restarting the afp and bonjour daemons and loading serveral network kext such as RTL1000 and RTL8169. This board is far more compatible then my old asus p5k e wifi but I need the airtunes feature as my receiver is out of reach and cables crossing the room is no option

sk1nhd33t
07-30-2009, 05:08 AM
i've installed a retail osx 10.5.7 on this board using chameleon en kexts loaded on EFI partition and everything works except airtunes.
I can ping the airport express but the airport util & itunes can't find it.
Tried restarting the afp and bonjour daemons and loading serveral network kext such as RTL1000 and RTL8169. This board is far more compatible then my old asus p5k e wifi but I need the airtunes feature as my receiver is out of reach and cables crossing the room is no option

google realtekr1000.kext by psystar, Time Capsule and airport utility is working flawlessly on mine. :)

lewson
07-30-2009, 10:37 AM
I have and idea to make it full vanilla, can anyone try this out?
Put the VoodooHDA kext is \Extra\Extensions along with these two kexts from S\L\E IOAudioFamily.kext and OSvKernDSPLib.kext . Then it will be FULL vanilla :D

mecanoiz
07-30-2009, 05:08 PM
google realtekr1000.kext by psystar, Time Capsule and airport utility is working flawlessly on mine. :)
i've tried using the psystar kext but without any sucses.
I've tried a port scan through network utility. 53 domain / 5000 commplex-main / 5009 winfs / 10000 ndmp are found on the Airport Express. I've read about issues with airtunes on insanelymac being resolved by installing other drivers.
Also tried the official realtek driver installer (onto os x partition).
Anybody got any older version of these mentioned above ? Or any clue on what service should be running to activate airtunes ? (btw remotes aren't found neither)

sk1nhd33t
08-02-2009, 08:46 AM
I have and idea to make it full vanilla, can anyone try this out?
Put the VoodooHDA kext is \Extra\Extensions along with these two kexts from S\L\E IOAudioFamily.kext and OSvKernDSPLib.kext . Then it will be FULL vanilla :D
ive seen that done before but with the EP45 mobo and im sure it will work on our G31M, the question is which is the better audio driver for our ALC883, maybe the old timers here can shed some light? here are the 3 that i tested that works

1: AppleAzaliaAudio + HDAEnabler
2: ALCinject + AppleHDA
3: VodooHDA

i've tried using the psystar kext but without any sucses.
I've tried a port scan through network utility. 53 domain / 5000 commplex-main / 5009 winfs / 10000 ndmp are found on the Airport Express. I've read about issues with airtunes on insanelymac being resolved by installing other drivers.
Also tried the official realtek driver installer (onto os x partition).
Anybody got any older version of these mentioned above ? Or any clue on what service should be running to activate airtunes ? (btw remotes aren't found neither)

sorry mate if thats giving you a hard time good thing on mine it's perfectly working, try to put the RealtekR1000.kext in /S/L/E if it's not there or if it's /Extra/Extension add IONetworkingFamily + IOPCIFamily ;)

if still no luck maybe you should try to redo the leo install.

mecanoiz
08-02-2009, 10:38 AM
sorry mate if thats giving you a hard time good thing on mine it's perfectly working, try to put the RealtekR1000.kext in /S/L/E if it's not there or if it's /Extra/Extension add IONetworkingFamily + IOPCIFamily ;)

if still no luck maybe you should try to redo the leo install.

Putting the realtekr1000 in SLE worked instantly. Thank you very much!
Now is there anyone who has an idea why the kext doesn't get loaded from the EFI partition ?

JoQ
08-02-2009, 11:52 PM
Ordered this board today :D
Very nice guide i must say. I have one thought tho:
I read the manual and it says that you can get 5.1 audio trough the three ports on the back: green (line out), blue (line in), pink (mic). In Windows XP you can choose in the driver-settings to switch all ports to output, for 5.1 i have to connect three connectors to the board.

Any chance this will work in OS X?
Would be really great if so!

JoQ
08-04-2009, 10:09 PM
Hi again guys, i've tried everything to get 5.1 audio to work. Is it possible?
What audio kexts are you using?
And if it won't work trough the three ports at the back, will it work with SPDIF if i buy the adapter?

Please help me out!

mecanoiz
08-06-2009, 11:17 AM
I checked the audio midi settings but it doesn't let me configure the audiochannels at all. I do get output on the spdif out though.

sk1nhd33t
08-06-2009, 11:17 AM
10.5.8 is out! no problem here so far, just reinstall the audio kext after the update, reboot and you're good to go. :)

edit: automatic sleep still doesnt work :(

mecanoiz
08-06-2009, 01:23 PM
yup same here.... just had to reinstall the audio

leroy308
08-07-2009, 12:07 PM
Hi I followed this guide using my KVM switch but now I have issues with keyboard recognition. I am using a USB mouse to get past those problems too. The keyboard was working before I upgraded to 10.5.8 earlier. Any ideas on this? I'd really like to be able to use the KVM switch if it is possible.
The rest of it is awesome...online updating without fear...who'd have thought it? Thanks

sk1nhd33t
08-07-2009, 07:29 PM
i dont know if this helps but on 10.5.8 sound is still there even without the HDAEnabler.kext, made a new backup install and forgot to put that kext and was surprised to hear the leo intro w/ audio :)

Thanks for the great guide voyn1x.. my only problem now is that my temp is 10c higher because of the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext loading.

sorry mate if thats giving you a hard time good thing on mine it's perfectly working, try to put the RealtekR1000.kext in /S/L/E if it's not there or if it's /Extra/Extension add IONetworkingFamily + IOPCIFamily

Putting the realtekr1000 in SLE worked instantly. Thank you very much!
Now is there anyone who has an idea why the kext doesn't get loaded from the EFI partition ?

did you try what i suggested quoted above? its working on mine even on 10.5.8.

sorry for the colorful kext ^_^

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/503/picture3pam.png

JoQ
08-08-2009, 12:52 AM
Am i the only one having trouble with Torrent-applications? Every time i use like Transmission i get the beach ball spinning around and no response where-ever i click. It's really annoying, why is that happening?

DrTechnickal
08-10-2009, 10:36 PM
I have installed retail once before on this board, worked fine until 10.5.8. It eliminated my NIC card, so I backed up my files and did a reload to bring it back to 10.5.7. I have everything running again, except the NIC...it keeps saying "Cable Unplugged" in the network settings. The router I am plugging into blinks up all three lights on the front once every 3 seconds or so. I have placed the ReatekR1000.kext into SLE, and into the Extras folder on the EFI partition. Still nothing. Is there anything else I can do...or is it dead hardware?

rabalder
08-10-2009, 11:17 PM
Hei

All installed fine, but cant get the reboot fixed, osx read the cpu as 4ghz, and error log says cpu problems, it boot fine with boot 123 cd.

any idea someone ?

rab

zypheruk
08-15-2009, 03:04 PM
Anyone going to do a snow leopard guide for this motherboard, it would be much appreciated.
Cheers Zy

arsonwells
08-16-2009, 01:53 AM
Definitely, a Snow Leo guide would be great. I tried to get it working today using the tutorial at teknojunkie.com but got the error message of "You need to restart" while I was going through the registration process.

I just messaged another user that got Snow working on this board, if I'm able to get it working I'll let you guys know what I did.

sk1nhd33t
08-16-2009, 10:52 AM
i can make a guide but Snow is not publicly released yet plus still waiting for a better audio kext on 64bit other than voodoo.. im using stock applehda now + legacyhda (e/e) but i have no audio feedback if i change the volume, the rest are fine though..

not an expert too so maybe we should just let the old timers guide us here and we should just follow :)

arsonwells
08-16-2009, 10:34 PM
It would be awesome if you would. Even though the GM may not in fact be final, the same steps would most likely apply, no?

Anyway, I just tried installing again with the kexts you specified (minus voodoo) and this time it wouldn't even boot past the Apple logo. Just keeps spinning.

dsmos
nullcpu
openhaltrestart
platformuuid
decrypt

All 64-bit versions as far as I know. Not sure what I'm doing wrong :/

Didn't patch DSDT for CMOS fix, haven't yet figured out how but it should still boot without it from what I've read.

sk1nhd33t
08-17-2009, 09:30 AM
i made one here (http://www.infinitemac.com/f57/guide-installing-snow-10a432-on-g31m-es2l-t3672/#post31269), tested it a few times and it works perfect ;)

full 64bit plus /s/l/e untouched..

lewson
08-22-2009, 07:48 PM
I Think Ive found the solution for sleep on 10.5.7+ You need to disable Paragon NTFS. :)

mjamike
08-22-2009, 09:26 PM
Anyone willing to help? I posted a video on youtube displaying what I am encountering.

G31M-ES2L Motherboard
Intel Pentium D Chip (also tried P4 630)
2GB DDR2 800MHz Memory
IDE Hard Drive & DVD Drive on same cable (hdd is master, dvd is slave)
nVidia Quadro FX Graphics (PCI Express)

I boot from Boot 132 and insert retail 10.5.6 (back up copy, burned with transmac on a PC) and then the PC reboots. Tried -v flag without luck,

I have done a lot of reading, but there is a great chance my mind is garbled from all the different places I have been getting my info.

Here is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqW-EbrhUxU

lewson
08-23-2009, 07:28 PM
I havent got this board yet but the dsdt.aml you attached will i be able to use that on my machine, or will it need re compiling?

simsim
08-27-2009, 08:56 AM
Thank you for this guide, very nice.

The uploaded files and the efi partition mounter made it very painless.

I used it to update the drive I pulled from my d945gclf2 for this new board.
The only issue I ran into was no sound, but then my 10.5.6 install probably had some baggage. I solved it by removing HDAEnabler from EFI partition and S/L/E. By just using AppleAzaliaAudio.kext and AppleHDA.kext in S/L/E it gives me headphone sound from back connector, it appears as "HD Audio Output" device in sound preferences.

I like this board so far, my graphic card hasn't arrived yet, but with the onboard video I'm only using 35 W (at the wall outlet) while writing this and I peaked 70w when really pushing the cpu so I'm hoping my picopsu will be up for the job.
(I'm into the low noise, low heat aspect mostly)
Next step SL :-)

G31m ES2l
E6300 2.80 GHz SLGU9
Samsung HD502HI 500GB (1 platter ecogreen)
PicoPsu 120wi

edit:

Installing the graphic card (7300gt 256mb) and higher res added about 15w to idle, oh well...

PigBoT
08-27-2009, 08:36 PM
I was going to post a bunch of crap, but i'll save it for a thread elsewhere.

The bottom line question, has anyone worked with Rev. 2 of this board? I'm about to buy all of my hardware. I am left to assume I will most likely receive rev2 which has the AR8131 LAN. I don't want to buy a different NIC to make ethernet work, or I'd rather just buy a different motherboard.

Anyone know if there is a workable driver for this new chip? Thanks.

BlaSTiWi
09-02-2009, 03:17 AM
I got "Invalid Argument" error when I tried to execute the EFI-Partition-Mounter script ... help ... seems that I'm missing something in mount_hfs command line but not sure what ... tkx!

swhya
09-02-2009, 03:01 PM
For all of you using the Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L, I have been running this board for awhile. Attached is legacy audio for Leopard and Snow Leopard and some tools. In the zip is a folder called HDA, in that folder is 2 other folders, one for Leopard and one for Snow Leopard and 1 file dsdt.aml. You can use either the dsdt.aml or the HDAEnabler.kext (don't use both) along with the HDA.kext. I use the dsdt.aml for my sound which just injects audio information (layout-id, and pin configurations) and the HDA.kexts injects the proper layout information for your on-board audio to work. HDAEnabler.kext does the same thing as dsdt.aml, it just injects it in a different place in the IORegistry. put the dsdt.aml file in /Extra and the HDA.kext and HDAEnabler.kext (only if you don't want to use my dsdt.aml file) in /Extra/Extensions. rebuild the /Extra/Extensions.mkext using MKextTool and reboot if your using leopard. if your using Snow Leopard, follow the above directions except run Kext Utility app in the tools folder instead of MKextTool and then reboot. You should now have line out, front headphones, line in and mic working. Don't forget to remove all of your other sound kexts (AppleAzailia, Voodoo etc. before you run Kext Utility).

drossxyu
09-04-2009, 03:12 PM
I just finished building a machine based off the G31M-ES2L and have since discovered that it's a rev. 2, which as many of you know uses a different incompatible brand for the ethernet port. What are the chances this is eventually going to be fixed via software? Initially I had planned to use wireless anyway, but the Rosewill RNX-EasyN1 WI-FI dongle that was recommended to me is painfully slow (perhaps it only has a short range). Could someone recommend another solution that works well ( In both windows 7 and OSx), preferably a USB dongle of some sort, as the space for a PCI card is extremely limited.

Aberracus
09-04-2009, 06:01 PM
its amazyng cheap and works perfect for desktop

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/02/wi-fire-long-range-wifi-adapter-hands-on-and-impressions/

drossxyu
09-05-2009, 07:47 PM
For some reason the EFI partition never mounts after I run your script. I get this error: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

I've tried following this guide (http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,83.0.html) and this guide (http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php?topic=250.0) as well, but for reasons I assume relate to my Rev. 2 I cannot get my MAC address. If I got into network settings there isn't an ethernet card listed.

Right now i'm booting into SL via chameleon on a usb thumb drive. Has anyone had any luck with this

ju421019
09-08-2009, 05:04 AM
I'm in the same situation, and when I enter in "1" for my EFI partition it asks for a password, I never set a password when creating the account at login.

I have a Rev 1 board.

Any help.

Thanks

For some reason the EFI partition never mounts after I run your script. I get this error: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

I've tried following this guide (http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,83.0.html) and this guide (http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php?topic=250.0) as well, but for reasons I assume relate to my Rev. 2 I cannot get my MAC address. If I got into network settings there isn't an ethernet card listed.

Right now i'm booting into SL via chameleon on a usb thumb drive. Has anyone had any luck with this

ju421019
09-08-2009, 05:15 AM
But in my scenario - I can connect to the internet, any help with my situation, when i enter in '1' it asks for a password, whats the password.

ju421019
09-08-2009, 05:31 AM
I solved that part that I posted two posts above, by creating a password and mounting the EFI, that resolved that Issue. I was able to boot without the CD. Now, just need to work on the audio and graphics driver tomorrow.

Is it fine to update to 10.5.8? Or should I avoid it for now. Thanks

ju421019
09-08-2009, 06:29 AM
I seem to have everything working fine with this guide except the graphics driver.

I have a geoforce nvidia 7900gs (256mb) card.

i selected it on OsX86 tools and tried to apply it, by even putting in my custom resolution 1680 X 1050, but it still only shows me under display the 1024 X 764 i think it is.

how do I resolve this? Thanks

Ricky87
09-08-2009, 10:05 AM
I installed leopard 10.5.6 yesterday and with the kext attached in the first post system show audio card but it doesn't works. Today i will try to update at 10.5.8, i hope to solve this problem. Someone had this problem?

With my graphic card (xfx nvidia 8600 gts xxx) i'm able to change resolution, but when i change system freeze and i need to reboot manually with power button and when system reboots the new resolution is shown correctly.

My ram are 1066Mhz but system say that are 800mhz, it is a problem?

i selected it on OsX86 tools and tried to apply it, by even putting in my custom resolution 1680 X 1050, but it still only shows me under display the 1024 X 764 i think it is.
Did you use the method descripted in the first post to install the graphic card? I think that if the only resolution available is 1024x768 the gpu is not detected correctly.

ju421019
09-08-2009, 04:53 PM
get the audio kext from this guide

http://an43.com/osx/

those worked for me.

I'm still trying to get my card to work right.

Ricky87
09-08-2009, 07:54 PM
I've update system at 10.5.8 and it works well! Thanks very much :)

Now i would like to understand with system show me that my ram is 800mhz instead 1066...

yabadabadol
09-09-2009, 12:57 AM
OK I have os x 10.5.8 zooming along on a q6600 quad, G31M-ES2L. Audio, nVidia 7300gt, all apps seem normal. When I boot from Chameleon I get the Logo and the spinning spokes, the the blue screen and mouse pointer appear and then the curtain of doom descends "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the power button for several seconds or press the Restart button."

I can boot via the boot132cd, choose 80 for primary disk and Darwin launches into my installation. Its probably obvious and simple but I don't seem to see a way out just yet.

Great tutorial BTW.
yabadabadol

353inf
09-09-2009, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the guide. After setup of keyboard and at the 'transfer files 1st thru 3rd choices, with 4th 'not at this time' .........hangs and eventually reboots to welcome screen.
Any help much appreciated. Thanks

Ricky87
09-09-2009, 09:39 PM
Did you try to do this in safe mode? You have to boot with -x option from chamilion or boot-132.

Regards

yabadabadol
09-10-2009, 04:22 AM
I can now boot to one of 2 sata hdds. I used uinstaller and chose the PC_EFI v9 Chameleon edition 1.0.12, had no luck with Chameleon v2.0. My usb hdd and 2nd sata drive aren't shown as boot options. Any ideas?

user411
09-18-2009, 08:35 PM
For all of you using the Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L, I have been running this board for awhile. Attached is legacy audio for Leopard and Snow Leopard and some tools. In the zip is a folder called HDA, in that folder is 2 other folders, one for Leopard and one for Snow Leopard and 1 file dsdt.aml. You can use either the dsdt.aml or the HDAEnabler.kext (don't use both) along with the HDA.kext. I use the dsdt.aml for my sound which just injects audio information (layout-id, and pin configurations) and the HDA.kexts injects the proper layout information for your on-board audio to work. HDAEnabler.kext does the same thing as dsdt.aml, it just injects it in a different place in the IORegistry. put the dsdt.aml file in /Extra and the HDA.kext and HDAEnabler.kext (only if you don't want to use my dsdt.aml file) in /Extra/Extensions. rebuild the /Extra/Extensions.mkext using MKextTool and reboot if your using leopard. if your using Snow Leopard, follow the above directions except run Kext Utility app in the tools folder instead of MKextTool and then reboot. You should now have line out, front headphones, line in and mic working. Don't forget to remove all of your other sound kexts (AppleAzailia, Voodoo etc. before you run Kext Utility).

Thank you very much swhya! I have been trying to get sound working on my Gigabyte GA-G31M-E2SL Rev. 2 under Snow Leopard for some time now and your method finally got it running. Decompiling your .aml file and comparing it with mine made me notice a "Device (AZAL)" section was still remaining in mine. After commenting the AZAL device out, I was able to boot with audio using my patched dsdt and your HDA.kext in /Extra/Extensions. Next there were some sound assertion failures to fix. They all disappeared when I disabled Azaila audio in the BIOS.

All of my references to "patched dsdt" refer to using http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=143697

On a side note, I was not able to get audio working without resorting to dsdt patching. Maybe removing Device (AZAL) or disabling it in the BIOS is the minimum requirement to just use kexts?

Andrew
09-19-2009, 09:09 PM
I've got the system working great with this tutorial, but my only problem is that I'll convert high definition video, and such and also it serves as a VPN server / iTunes / AppleTV server, etc etc. and if I try to do like converting a video and watching a movie on my AppleTV it will have a kernel panic, is there anyway to see what's wrong?

Thanks,
Andrew

altoidboy
09-27-2009, 11:56 PM
Hey everybody, I'm new to this forum and have this mobo (GA-G31M-ES2L) which I just got up and running on Snow Leopard thanks to this tutorial link (http://lifehacker.com/5351485/how-to-build-a-hackintosh-with-snow-leopard-start-to-finish), however, audio isn't working.

Do you all have any tips for any things to try? I've tried VoodooHDA and it doesn't seem to work (unless I'm doing it wrong).

When I open the Sound control panel, it shows no input or output devices.

When I go to System Profiler > Audio, I see:

Device ID: 0x1458A002
Audio ID: 12
Available Devices:
Line Out: Connection: 1/8-Inch Jack
External Microphone: Connection: 1/8-Inch Jack
External Microphone: Connection: 1/8-Inch Jack
Headphone: Connection: 1/8-Inch Jack
S/P-DIF Out: Connection: 1/8-Inch Jack

I also tried to launch Audio MIDI Setup but only the Audio Devices page comes up and it says "No Devices Found". (MIDI devices don't show up at all...weird...is that something else broken?)

I actually don't need built-in audio to work, and would prefer to use a third-party soundcard (Tascam US-1641). I googled for US-1641 drivers and did find drivers specifically written for Snow Leopard, so downloaded and installed them. But the US-1641 isn't seen by the OS nor by the Tascam controller application.

I'm new to the OSx86 world so please be gentle. Any pointers to places to research or basic things to try would be really appreciated. Thanks!

353inf
10-03-2009, 01:49 AM
Just a head's up..........seems that I finally was able to install 10.5.2 with dual boot vista. Not much else happening though after .............

17. When you are at the desktop, copy the OSX_Tools folder to your desktop (via CD, external drive, etc)
18. Open the OSX_Tools folder, open the Chameleon folder, and install Chameleon.
19. If you have one of the motherboards listed in the DSDT folder, copy the corresponding dsdt.aml file to the root of your hard drive. If not, go to the next step.
20. Open the DSDTPatcher Folder in the OSX_Tools folder. Launch the App in there
21. Select: New HPET Option, and Apply DSDT Patch to: on the right side. Select your OSX Hard Drive from the dropdown menu and click 'Run DSDT Patcher'

You will be prompted for your admin password. Enter it. This will generate the DSDT file that is needed for your motherboard. When it is done:

22. Quit the DSDT Patcher ................

All the above are not working or it appears not. I am able to use 'boot 132 disc' to get into either vista or osx after entering '80' at boot. Also the vista option shows 'windows ntfs' which prior to installing the Chamelon dsdt package only had hd(0,1). Sorry to go in such detail but it has been difficult getting any of this working. I noticed my first post was on 9/9/09, so I'm making headway. Again appreciate any help.

biggui
10-07-2009, 12:40 PM
Hello everyone ! I posted this in the v2.0 thread, but tought i'D post it in here too since you guys seem to reallly know what you are talking about !

First, I would like to thank every member of the community for being so active and helpful.
i'm pretty active myself on the osx86 scene, but since I rarely get desperate (I always end up finding an answer to my problems) I rarely post. So i will try to keep the story short.

The story started a couple months ago when i stumbled across a guide to install mosX on a gygabite P35C-DS3R ( my media center) and since then, i'm trying (with a lot of succes!) to install osX on all sort of configurations.

Last week, after a friend gave me a buggy dell server he had, i realised I had all the hardware i'd need to build another hackintosh except for a motherboard:

-Pentrium D dual core @ 2.8 ghz
-1x 2gig OCZ ddr2-800 ram
-2x 80 gig sata drives
-1x IDE or SATA optical combo drives
-1x decent psu

-------------------

I tough i'd give myself a break and go buy the legendary g31m-es2l board from a local store. its the rev 2.0 but i have a realtek 8139 NIC laying arround. Well... i've never had as much trouble trying to install osX on a machine :'(

I post because (even tho i'm not a pro) i'm running out of options to try. I have the feeling its something really stupid, so here I am asking for help. :eek:

Motherboard G31m-es2l v2.0 with bios FC.
I really want to try the retail install methos on this board but i can't even getthe osx retail disk to boot, so for now i'll skip that part and tell you what else i tried.

--------------------

The problems is that after every installation i do (and the installation goes fine) the comp enters into a reboot loop. I'll try to explain where it reboots in my own words. When, after you get into the chameleon logo, you boot with -v for example. the computer starts looading a couple files then switches video mode (it seems, at least to me) That's where my comp reboots. It also happens with the 132boot method. I pop the boot CD in, see the lunix bootloader, eject it, put the Leopard retail disk, boot on it, and it does the same thing. starts loading then tries to switch video mode and reboots.

------

What i tried so far:

-Partition using GUID and MRB, tried both
-BIOS settings : sata in all modes (enhanced, auto, combined, etc) disabled/enabled the onboard lan, HPET in 32 ans 64 bits mode, ACPI S1 and S3, soft off (instant off), SMART enabled and disabled, Disabled onboard IDE and enabled it... tried to looad default and optimised settings...
-tried my 7800gtx witch i know is working on osX (used in other setups) to bypass the onboard video i was using for a while (didnt mind to be stuck in 1024 for now, but tought it might be the problem)
-tried installing from an IDE AND sata optical drive(ideneb 1.5.1 and iatkos v7 for now since 132 method reboots.
-tried another PSU just in case
-in iatkos and/or iŠeneb, I keep the default kernel, but i tried to install with and without the realtek drivers for my 8139 based NIC, with and without the x3100 video drivers, tried with and without the cpus=1 boot and patch from the installation, tried with and without an intel ICHXX chipset driver, tried with and without every audio drivers... No matter what I try, it always reboots at the exact same spot.
-tried to boot with -v, with "CPUS=1", forcing the resolution to 1024, alouette !!!

I think i did all i could, and read sooo many threads hoping to find what i did wrong...
i now admit my defeat (for now!) and turn to you guys and girls for a little help.

gave a lot of details, i know, but i tought it would be better than not enough.
My goal is to practive my retail install skill with with board (10.5 and SL), that's why i'm posting here.

I also speak french if you are more comfortable giving advices in french!

thanks alot in advance !

Guillaume

nelisftw
10-14-2009, 08:19 AM
Is this also the way to make a nice vanilla snow leopard install?

bmckay
12-02-2009, 05:39 PM
First post, so my apologies for possibly resurrecting a thread.

I have the G31M-ES2L Rev.2 board. I have sound working now, using a combination of the Lifehacker guide, swhya's kexts, and LegacyAlc883. However, I've come to an impasse.

I can't get mic or line in working. The volume meter shows that there is sound coming into the board, but no sound output from the device. Just to make sure that sound IS indeed working, I played a few YouTube videos, and no problems there.

Anyone have any solutions to this sort of issue, or should I give up on it?

yogi446
12-04-2009, 03:20 PM
Have you tried using quicktime to record from your mic?

A mac won't play mic sounds through the speakers by default.

idk12
01-16-2010, 09:13 PM
Hello, so MB version 1 and 2 will work correct?

finster
01-21-2010, 10:00 PM
Hi all,

I've got a rev 2 G31M-ES2L and a Netgear GA311 PCI card (RTL-8169 based).

I was having problems with internet connectivity, saying the cable was unplugged - messages "AppleRTL8169Ethernet: IOInterruptEventSource error"

I tried the Psystar driver, the driver from the Realtek website, a downloaded AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext but still no joy.

In the end I deleted AppleHPET.kext and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext from /System/Library/Extensions and everything now works.

Hope this helps somebody.

marc
01-29-2010, 03:27 PM
first try with a hackintosh,
i was able to get through the usb boot and install of snow leopard with a three partition set up, one snowleopard/backup/and chameleon. But on my first reboot the system won't boot from the usb again??? it freezes at the dmi pool.....

any suggestions?

i've tried using a boot132 cd which when loaded into darwin recognizes the snowleopard partition but just goes to a black screen when trying to boot it

Appreciate any advice

matthewordie
01-31-2010, 12:10 AM
Got everything working so far with this guide with one exception.... Ethernet. Is there a kext file for it? Or do I need a seperate NIC card.

UnaClocker
01-31-2010, 05:46 AM
I followed the guide, but can't seem to get CI/QE with the onboard video. I assumed that was taken care of in the patched DSDT, since there's no patched GMA3100 kext included.. But alas, that doesn't seem to be the case.
I'm also not getting any network connectivity, another kext that seems to be missing from the original pack. I'm actually wondering if the patched DSDT is even loading, because when I click restart, it doesn't reboot, it just hangs.. A patched DSDT would have fixed that..

boomerx01
02-06-2010, 08:59 PM
I have v2.0 board and the boot 132 method does not work for me. The installer fails. I have swapped memory, set BIOS to enhanced, etc., no luck. Any suggestions?

fantome2024
03-19-2010, 02:53 AM
I have board rev 1.1 will this method work???

shiningchihuahau
04-01-2010, 06:23 AM
First of all, thanks so much for this Tutorial, its been a fantastic help.

I've managed to install Snow Leopard onto my pc, it's using the G31M-ES2L Motherboard, Intel core 2 Duo, 2GB Ram. If any other specs are needed please say?

I've followed the steps for putting files in the Extra folder, but the audio still doesnt work and the resolution isnt right (i need it to be 1366x768). Also the network settings arn't working. It doesnt allow me to chose any other connection methods (eg. Ethernet or Airport) apart from Built-in Serial Port for a dial up connection. Any ideas how to fix that problem?

I've double checked and i've copied LegacyALC883 into the extensions folder correctly. Also, another problem!, i have a Nvidia GT220 graphics card, but i dont think it's being recognised.

Any help regarding these issues would really be appretiated.

Cheers

zenrascal
04-19-2010, 06:29 AM
I just want to share this: If you're looking for a rev 1.x G31M-ES2L mobo, there are some available on eBay right now (April 2010). I know because I just bought one from the guy. It's item 120445578721.

Most places won't tell you what rev they're going to send. They can't be bothered. I've written a lot of places & usually get that runaround. This guy's ad mentions rev 1.x. I messaged him first to double-check & he messaged right back saying yes, a rev 1.x is what he'd send. I ordered one and, sure enough, that's what it is.

I've had great luck with the G31M-ES2L running Leopard for about a year. Just updated to Snow. I decided to get another board & lucked out finding another 1.x.

To be clear - I don't know the seller and am not involved in the sale of these boards. Just want to get the word out to others who, like me, wouldn't mind getting ahold of one.

bobble666
05-25-2010, 01:15 PM
After much reading, re-reading and then realising I had missed the odd small (but very important) detail here and there, finally got my rig working.

Running the following:
Rev 2.0 board
Intel 4.6 Ghz chip
2 x 1Gb Corsair DDR-2 PC640 RAM
nVidia 8600GT
Belkin F5D5000ea (Realtek 8139 chipset)

Had took a while to latch onto the Rev 2.0, ethernet not compatible bit, then tried a D-Link 530TX NIC, which also failed - crappy VIA/Rhine Chipset. Once the Belkin was popped in, hey presto!

Next step is to pop Win7 on the second partition, then my life is complete!
;)

One final question - can I simply buy a retail DVD of Snow Leopard and upgrade. Or would it be better to follow this process for SL??

Thanks again guys - top top work!!!

Sydneyboy
08-08-2010, 02:16 AM
I trawled through many forum and got my built-in LAN Atheros AR8131 works perfectly 1st go with this kext. Read all about it here:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=181343&st=160
Download here:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=70249
This kext is 64-bit but works flawlessly with 32-bit as well! :D

I am trying to get the built-in GMA X3100 working as I have managed it succesfully (with an older Leopard kext AppleIntelGMAX3100FB 156KB ) on my laptop HP 6710b but so far, no luck. Anyone has success with the built-in graphic on this G31M-ES2L rev 2 board yet ? Should I give up and use something like the cheap nVidia 8400GS

Ianxxx
08-15-2010, 07:32 PM
I trawled through many forum and got my built-in LAN Atheros AR8131 works perfectly 1st go with this kext. Read all about it here:
Download here:

I am trying to get the built-in GMA X3100 working as I have managed it succesfully (with an older Leopard kext AppleIntelGMAX3100FB 156KB ) on my laptop HP 6710b but so far, no luck. Anyone has success with the built-in graphic on this G31M-ES2L rev 2 board yet ? Should I give up and use something like the cheap nVidia 8400GS

I'm sure if you haven't already you can read about this all over but the graphics on your mobo is gma3100 not gmax3100 as far as I know there is no fully working solution.

evil saltine
08-22-2010, 10:58 PM
Hi,

I have a rev 1.x board with a Radeon X1550. When I boot with Boot132 and insert the retail Snow Leopard disc, Chameleon loads the kernel, but the screen then turns black and nothing else happens.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

bobble666
09-20-2010, 09:02 AM
Download here:

Excellent work! Managed to get this working, although it doesn't recognise the built-in LAN after a reboot - unless I run kext utility??....

Is there something a need to do to make the changes/recognition of this kext "permenant"?

ropuri
12-12-2010, 03:28 PM
I have OS X 10.6.4 Installed and fully functional on my G41-ES2L Board using the instructions on :
http://osx86.co/f19/guide-retail-snow-leopard-dvd-install-for-g41m-t5351/

I also have Windows 7 Installed on a separate HD on the same box, but when I boot up using OS X as the primary Disk, the Boot loader does not show the Windows Partition when I click any key on bootup..

I can boot to the Windows partition using the Bios and switching to the Windows partition but would like to have the option of Windows showing up in the OS X Boot loader..

Any help is appreciated ?

zcream
12-26-2010, 05:06 PM
Do you still have AppleHDA in S/L/E ?

Thank you very much swhya! I have been trying to get sound working on my Gigabyte GA-G31M-E2SL Rev. 2 under Snow Leopard for some time now and your method finally got it running. Decompiling your .aml file and comparing it with mine made me notice a "Device (AZAL)" section was still remaining in mine. After commenting the AZAL device out, I was able to boot with audio using my patched dsdt and your HDA.kext in /Extra/Extensions. Next there were some sound assertion failures to fix. They all disappeared when I disabled Azaila audio in the BIOS.

All of my references to "patched dsdt" refer to using http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=143697

On a side note, I was not able to get audio working without resorting to dsdt patching. Maybe removing Device (AZAL) or disabling it in the BIOS is the minimum requirement to just use kexts?

Hydroxide
11-10-2011, 11:53 AM
Guys I am having problem with step 2.
"When everything is loaded, remove the Boot CD and insert your Apple Leopard Retail DVD into your drive. You should see the word 'BOOT', when the DVD is recognized, press Enter.

It should now start to boot the Retail DVD, after a few minutes you will reach the OS X installation screen"

When I see the word boot and insert my Apple DVD, I press enter. Then it askes me which partition I want to use (81 or 80) After I pick that, another question pops asking which drive, when I pick the drive and hit enter, it says bootmgr is missing. What is wrong? I am using Windows 7 64 bit currently..
Really appreciate your help :)

jespejo
12-31-2011, 03:41 AM
Hydroxide, did you solve this? I have the same issue doing mine.

Guys I am having problem with step 2.
"When everything is loaded, remove the Boot CD and insert your Apple Leopard Retail DVD into your drive. You should see the word 'BOOT', when the DVD is recognized, press Enter.

It should now start to boot the Retail DVD, after a few minutes you will reach the OS X installation screen"

When I see the word boot and insert my Apple DVD, I press enter. Then it askes me which partition I want to use (81 or 80) After I pick that, another question pops asking which drive, when I pick the drive and hit enter, it says bootmgr is missing. What is wrong? I am using Windows 7 64 bit currently..
Really appreciate your help :)