PDA

View Full Version : Trying to understand kexts

Cinema Liver
06-24-2009, 09:33 PM
Hi there.

This is my first time posting on this forum. I'm currently trying to build PCintosh and I have been reading every guide, forum post and tutorial that I can find. However I always get stumped when I come to the kexts section of the guides.

I understand that kexts are somewhat like drivers for windows, what I don't understand is what to do with them. I've kinda come to two conclusions, although both of them may be wrong.

A: Boot-132 is totally generic and works on any system. I use that to kickstart the process and install the Mac OS. Once I am in Macland I might notice a few problems, the sound card dosn't work or the graphics are wonky etc. So I go online and find kexts for each piece of hardware that is having problems. Install them and I''m done? Is that it?

Or

B: Before I start, I find a kext for every single piece of hardware, I then put this into a folder alongside boot-132. During the instalation, boot-132 automaticially installs these kexts?

Are either of these options correct, or have I got it all wrong?

Thanks in advance for all the help.
Cine.

thorazine74
06-26-2009, 08:22 AM
There are many Boot-132 discs, some are generic, some are tailored for specific motherboards; but for Boot-132 to work it doesnt need to have all the kexts for your hardware, just the basic ones to get OS X installed, and thats mostly the storage controllers (SATA and/or IDE) you are using for your HD/DVD, and after having it installed you can install the necesary kexts for your graphics, sound, network...
If you dont have an existing boot-132 disc for your hardware you can also customize it to add the necessary kexts, but its not as easy as putting them in a folder alongside, there are guides on how to do that, you have to rebuild and burn the iso image with the extra kexts you need (you can do easier customizations with Chameleon2 and a bootable USB stick but that wont let you boot from DVD, you would need to put the DVD installer on the USB and that usually require an existing OS X installation).
Boot-132 doesnt auto install any kexts, you just use it to boot and install the dvd, you have to manually install the kexts (and the bootloader) after installing the main system.