PDA

View Full Version : Ram and OSx86?

oneshot
07-10-2009, 09:41 AM
So if you've been following my story about the macbook that I've been going on about forever on this forum, I finally came to an end.

My dad won't get me a macbook pro but (because he's weird..) He said he'd get me an LCD HD monitor (http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/hp-w2338h-lcd-display/4505-3174_7-33550076.html?tag=mncol;lst) and two more gigs of ram.

Right now I have "2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM" What I'm wondering is if I change my ram to 4 gigs will I run into problems? Is there a certain type of ram I should look for? Any suggestions?

-Thank You.

Taisto
07-10-2009, 03:34 PM
If you ask about how the OS will run - in my opinion ( of course it depends on your needs ) - 2gb is perfectly enough for home/office use. If You're going to use apps like Logic Studio, Final Cut or Ableton - more RAM will help. Just be sure to buy DDR2 ram with the speed supported by Your mainboard ( in this case 667Mhz. Even if You buy 800Mhz, and Your mainboard will support it - it will always work with the speed of the slowest piece of RAM inserted ). If You're going to buy it for a PC Hack - get Kingston, Corsair or any other "leading" brands. For Macs, i've heard that Logix is recommended.

oneshot
07-10-2009, 09:34 PM
Thank you!

Exactly what I needed to know =)