PDA

View Full Version : New to osx86 (lots of questions)

dannyp32
07-12-2009, 07:06 AM
hello i have been researching a little about hackintosh and i would like to try it out
please help me out with any suggestions about which distro i should try
On the compatibility list it says that my motherboard (ECS) works with atkos v5 but i have to use a specific bios and they provide a download with a .rom...so how do i change my bios?... and if i do change my bios will i still be able to run windows if i am not able to install osx86?

here are the notes from the compatibility list

Installed with iATKOS v5 and selected only;
base, dsmos, PCEFI 9, SMBIOS- EFI, vanilla kernel (select none), removed thermal kexts and Disabler.Kext.
I used gfxutil to build EFI strings for my Nvidia Card. Boots in 10 seconds after install!

Can you guys help me learn what this means like thermal kexts, vanilla kernel

i know that atkos v7 is out already... but does that mean that v7 will compatible with more hardware since its newer?

i have two computers one amd, one intel so here are the specs:

First PC
intel pentium dual core 2.8gh
ECS G31T-M motherboard
200 gb hdd
ide dvd burner

Second PC
amd athlon 64x2 5200
GIGABYTE GA-MA74GM-S2 motherboard
160 gb hard drive
sata dvd drive

*i do not have a video card for either of them since the onboard graphics work on windows but i will be willing to buy a cheap one if necessary

thorazine74
07-13-2009, 08:44 AM
BIOS update: check the motherboard manufacturer for instructions, it can be a dangerous process.
Thermal kexts: some *.kext files installed with Leo that control CPU temperature, I'm unsure if its needed this anymore, maybe on AMD. I dont know which ones are those exactly.
Vanilla kernel: the kernel is the core of OS, there is the "vanilla", Apple's original that only run on Apple's similar CPUs, and patched/hacked kernels like "voodoo" that runs on mostly any CPU, they are mandatory to use a hacked one for AMD CPUs.
The vanilla kernel is installed by Leopard, so normally if you dont select any other kernel you will use the vanilla, other kernels need to be installed on purpose.
Generally newer versions have better compatibility with newer hardware (like newer graphic cards, etc.).
Onboard graphic cards may work for install but if they have shared memory you will most likely not get a working accelerated desktop with all the bells and whistles.