PDA

View Full Version : Just a few newby questions...

mentalikryst
07-14-2009, 08:17 AM
Ok, I have iDeneb 1.4 (10.5.6) and would like to ask a few questions before I choose which machine to install it on.

Does it have better compatability with Intel or AMD processors?
What are the minimum specs for it to run quickly?
Does the iPhone 3.0 SDK install and function correctly (if not, any hacks to get it working)?
Would it fair better on a desktop or laptop?

thorazine74
07-14-2009, 08:33 AM
1. Intel should be a bit better but you should have no troubles with AMD when using Voodoo kernel.
2. Specs are the same as Leopard, iDened is just that, check them in Apple's site.
4. Both, depends more on the hardware specs and how different they are from Apple's machines.

Gurruwiwi
07-17-2009, 01:53 PM
Absolutely correct, except I would say that a properly chosen laptop will be somewhat easier to fire up than a properly chosen Desktop.

No sure, as I never tried it on a desktop, but laptops seem more and more to utilize "standard" HW protocols of implementation, so on desktops it can be easier for HW to act up, not wake up, have strange bus routings etc etc.

With that being said, on a laptop you cannot change 80% of your hardware to evolve with time, or get that "more compatible but expensive right now" components, etc...

I only use laptops personally, for many reasons, this new one I got is my 3rd (and by far the best and most functional hackintosh) but with all of them, and this is scary to say the least, worked way more efficiently than M$, even with some HW limitation I encountered in the past.

my .02c

Taisto
07-17-2009, 02:39 PM
I'd also recommend a laptop. They're more practical - but one have to be careful to choose one which works with OSX86. If not You'll have to deal with problems by writing kexts etc. cause You can't switch almost any parts in it. If i can recommend something - go for Intel. Here are two simple reasons :

- Voodoo is really great - but vanilla kernel seems to be more stable.
- Intel CPUs work on lower temps and OSX86 Cpu Throttling works fine only on Intel ( I've never managed to get it to work properly on AMD, but maybe... :) ). With this - it's cooler, and more silent.

Oh, and your question #3 - Yes, iPhone SDKs and all XCode apps are working properly.