PDA

View Full Version : Dreaded Boot1: Error

gbrentnell
07-24-2009, 03:43 PM
First, let me say, I'm a bit new here, I did some Redhat years ago, but not in a long time. I'm jealous of the OS interface my wife has on the MacBook PRO that I BOUGHT her, so I'm trying to get that on my Dell desktop, and hopefully on my Acer Aspire 1 later.

I've got a Dell with an embeded INTEIL Raid chip, and two SATA 2 500Gb drives.

When I go through the installer, I cleared the RAID set, and I then went into Diskutil. I have two disks showing, called disk0 and disk1.

I created a partition on disk1 called leopard. This partiion is then referenced as disk1s2 (I believe). When creating the partion, I ensured that the partion type is set for GUID.

I start the iAtkos 7 installer and let it go, I do not make much in the way of changes, other to ensure the installer is going to install Chamelon 2 for the boot loader.

The install seems to proceed just fine until reboot, where I get:

Boot0: done
Boot1: error

It just hangs there.

I've tried redoing the install by creating the leopard partition on disk0 and the thing won't even boot.

I've tried from the installers Utility menut to run the chamelon 2 app, where you specify the disk and part, it finds the leopard partition and seems to run through the script just fine, where it hangs yet again, with the above errors.

I'm sure I'm missing something simple, but it's driving me nuts.

Any help would be appreciated. I have done a bunch of searching and tried some commands that I didn't know what they did. "dd something or other".

This is a pretty fresh install, nothing has been mucked with.

Cheers all!
Greg

Gurruwiwi
07-24-2009, 10:34 PM
Hi !

I'm have never worked with a RAID system, so I can't offer the best of advices,

but there might be some basics here we should cover first since you are new.

I highly recommend you make a USB bootable iAtkos, because it just saves you tons of time running through the install process over and over. Pretty soon you'll be fine tuning your system too, and sometimes that mean a blank install, or try drivers from the bootable, and maybe even after success and loads of meddling you might start over to make a final long run "perfect" system.

First, please post your most complete system info, specific hardware. That helps a lot and also attracts your peers through searches.

Chameleon 2 is fantastic. stick with that.

Avoid creating partitions at first, your goal now is to reach know-how in booting a basic install of OSX.

Boot, go to Disk Utilities, choose the parent HDD and not a specific partition. Click on ERASE, from the drop down chose 1 partition, GUID and erase. Dont enter your own name. Check its in HFS+ Journaled.

This is to return drives to basic OSx basic setup.

Now you should check out the RAID tab, and about merging the two drives together before proceeding with install. From here, I'm sorry, but any advice on which RAID system is best would be purely speculative of me. As is merging, because you have a hardware raid chip.

Osx can be quite picky with some BIOS's and AHCI and SATA / IDE modes. you should look into this too. Search your model out in "normal" install method and look for successful cases and / distros (iDeneb, iAtkos, Kalywat, etc)

Some distros come better equipped and patched for certain cases like yours, video, AMD etc etc...

I also highly recommend you make a normal install using single HDD and discover your system flaws, like networking, sound video etc... and learn how to get them going. You can easily get a Kernel Panic, and your girls' Macbook will be heaven sent. Pop out the HDD, into an enclosure, mount on macbook, got to System/library/extension, add or remove kext, pop HDD into your Dell, boot with -v -f flags (to rebuild cached kext file) and your back into Leopard without having to go all linux command prompt hell (for me lool) or in wort case scenario, erase and re-install because of one dumb driver you had to try to eliminate options.

When you make your perfect install, or if hardware unlucky, an install you can live with despite limitations, make a dmg image file of if (using Carbon Copy Cloner - on of the best apps ever!!) and proceed with RAID experiments !

When you know how to make it work, just need to restore the dmg image using disk utilities, and in 5 minutes you'll have your kitty purring for your attention !

sorry not to be more techy about your specific issue, but I hope my experience helps you!

Gurruwiwi
07-24-2009, 11:14 PM
Also, this could be useful,

http://www.infinitemac.com/f19/how-to-install-leopard-on-a-software-raid-t410/

gbrentnell
07-25-2009, 06:14 AM
Thanks for the info, I'm not worried about the RAID at this point, infact form a Bios perspective, I've removed the RAID0 array, and have the BIOS presenting the disks as two non-raid member discs, that is, they are just two SATA drives at 500GB each.

My PC is:

Dell Dimension 9200
Intel Core 2 Duo - 2.4Ghz (?)
2 x 500GB SATA 2 drives
Nvidia 7900
4Gb Ram

So, based on your earlier directions about deleting the partitions, when I go and right-click on the disk in the left pane, and select erase, it still asks me for a name when I delete it, I believe this is much what I've done, except my partition will now be called unnamed as opposed to leopard.

I've tried the install with a fresh partition, without messing with the Chalmelon installer, I'll give this a try again, and post responses back.

I don't mind booting off of the DVD, it actually goes pretty quickly, but I'll endeavor to make a USB boot stick and try it as well.

Thanks
Greg