PDA

View Full Version : Help -- Retail Install via Boot-132 for AMD

spydeyrch
08-07-2009, 06:13 AM
I am looking for some help/direction/advice. I can install iDeneb v1.4 on my system, no problem. I have been able to install it OTB to both an internal HDD (Sata in AHCI mode) and to an external USB HDD. During the install I have to select the kexts for my mobo.

I want to get a retail (with voodoo kernel) installed so that I can do updates straight from the apple update program and I have been following this guide:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=140683

I have run into a few issues though while following the guide.

So I am using my external HDD with iDeneb to do everything. I know what kexts my mobo needs from the iDeneb v1.4 install disc to get everything working just fine. It is the same set of kexts for the external USB HDD as the internal SATA HDD, so no difference there.

Here is my issue: when I follow the guide mentioned above to the letter, I can get the boot-132 disc to boot and then switch it out for the Retail disc that I bought. Which, by the way, says that it is 10.5. That is it. I don't know if it is 10.5.5 or lower or higher. I am pretty sure that it is 10.5.5 seeing as I bought it a little bit after 10.5.5 came out but I can't be sure. Ok, back to business.

So once I put in the retail disc and put this:

CODE
rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo -v -legacy boot-uuid=YOUR_INSTALL_DVD_UUID_HERE

into the darwin prompt, it loads a little and then shows:

"USBF: #.### AppleUSBOHCI[0x3bd1000]::CheckSleepCompatability - OHCI controller will be unloaded across sleep"

several times consecutively after which it will take a while to show the horrible "still waiting for root device" error message.

I am trying to install it to an internal SATA HDD. I only have my HDD and ODD connected, nothing else. I typically run my SATA drives in AHCI mode, but I get the above mentioned messages. I have tried IDE mode and don't get the "USBF blahblahblahblah" message (see above) nor the "still waiting for root device" message. The screen eventually goes all black but does not go into sleep mode as the screen active light is still blue(showing active) instead of yellow (showing sleep mode).

So I am at a dead end right now. When ever I install the iDeneb distro, I will get that USBF blahblahblahblah message but I have never gotten the "still waiting for root device" message, ever. I have checked and tripled checked my UUID for my retail disc and I have it written down correctly and I input it correctly. I have tried several different combinations of kexts by injecting/inserting them in to the boot-132 image via the guide linked above, but with no success. There has got to be a kext that I am missing that iDeneb uses to do the inital boot before the installation that I am missing, yet I don't know what it is.

I need some help. Any insight you might have would be AWESOME!!!

Here are my specs:

AMD Phenom 9950
ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe
790FX / SB750
ATI HD3870
Seagate 500GB Internal SATA HDD (usually set to AHCI mode)
DVD Burner/Reader ODD
Marvell 88E8056 Gigabit LAN
ADI AD2000B 8 channel Audio
4 gigs DDR2 1066 RAM

Also, I have posted this same issue in the thread that I linked above but I thought that I could cover more ground/get more help by posting a request for help here too.

My initial goal is to get a retail install working, then use munky's EFI boot proceedure and then install chameleon 2 RC2. But first things first, right! ;)

spydeyrch
08-07-2009, 08:33 PM
Any takers? Any one willing to help? :( So, I was thinking of trying it with the bare minimums. Also, there are a few kexts on the boot-132 disc image that I don't know what they do.

tham50
08-07-2009, 09:18 PM
i'm not sure you can have retail running on amd.

Imkantus
08-07-2009, 09:35 PM
i'm not sure you can have retail running on amd.Sure you can! Voodoo Kernel is able to patch CPUIDs on the fly. He also linked the HowTo... :p

@TE
Sorry but did you maybe enter: "YOUR_INSTALL_DVD_UUID_HERE" in words? :D

spydeyrch
08-07-2009, 10:46 PM
@TE
Sorry but did you maybe enter: "YOUR_INSTALL_DVD_UUID_HERE" in words? :D

Hahahaha, no, I didn't type in the words directly from the guide. Although I can see how it might appear that I did it that way, hahahaha. :D ;)

I input the actual UUID from my Mac OS X retail disk. I get the UUID by booting into my distro that works, and going to disk utility..etc... I know how to get it. I am going to try one kext at a time and see if that helps. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. :-)

@Imkantus

Thanks for the laugh about the typing in the words thing. It reminded me about a lady that called in to get some IT help and in the end the reason why her computer wouldn't work was because she didn't have it plugged in!!!! hahahaha. :-)

tham50
08-07-2009, 11:29 PM
Sure you can! Voodoo Kernel is able to patch CPUIDs on the fly. He also linked the HowTo... :-*

no retail kernel not retail ;)

Imkantus
08-07-2009, 11:53 PM
no retail kernel not retail ;)That's just bean counting. ^_^

@spydeyrch
How is your DVD-Drive mounted IDE or SATA? Which kext files have you added to your pre-boot CD?

spydeyrch
08-08-2009, 03:06 AM
Yes, I know that if it doesn't have a vanilla kernel, it is technically not a "retail" install. But alot of AMD users out there who have an osx86 install understand what I mean. So yup, it is just counting beans as Imkantus said. But no big deal.

So, here is the list of the kexts that I install to get my iDeneb up and running:

AppleATIATA.kext - For my ATI 790FX/SB750 chipset

AppleYukon2.kext - For my Marvell 88E8056 Gigabit Lan

AppleSMBIOS.kext - For my DDR2 1066 RAM

Voodoo Kernel 9.5.0 w/Seatbelt.kext & System.kext - For use of the Voodoo kernel

ATIRadeonX2000.kext, ATIRadeonX2000GLDriver.bundle, & Natit.kext - For my ATI HD3870 PCIe GPU

Plus the normal kexts that come on the boot-132 image.

Do you think there is an issue with one or some of these?

P.S., thanks to both of you for your help so far, I appreciate it. ^_^

tham50
08-08-2009, 07:31 PM
... But no big deal.

of course not.
but you know how people are. they read it here and try some 'real' retail guides. then it doesn't work and we have tons of new topics and questions ...

i had it many times right here and it tought me one can't be too precise.

spydeyrch
08-09-2009, 02:12 AM
That is understandable. :) I have been there too.

I just hope that I can get this "retail" install to work properly. :-)

diskeeper
08-09-2009, 07:55 AM
Try the another method!

http://www.infinitemac.com/f19/intel-leopard-retail-install-w-out-t3038/

spydeyrch
08-09-2009, 10:31 AM
Awesome, Thanks for the help and for pointing me to that link. I will check it out and see what I can do! :D