PDA

View Full Version : Leopard Installed fine, Xp won't load

NdR23
02-19-2008, 12:59 PM
I installed the recent release of Zephyroth's Leopard for AMD and everything went perfect,Leopard boots 100% and I have the dual boot option.But when I select the windows partition(I installed before Leopard), it gets stuck at the blue XP loading screen.I'm just wondering if there is a simple way to fix this?

zephyroth
02-19-2008, 03:27 PM
yes you must make the Windows partition active and install easyBCD to dual boot with Leopard.

NdR23
02-20-2008, 01:41 AM
THX Zeph I'll give it a shot

NdR23
02-20-2008, 06:17 AM
K this is probably a dumb question, but seeing as how I can't access windows at all,how do I activate the windows partition using LEOPARD or DOS? I'm gonna need a point in the right direction zeph, btw I found easyBCD in 2secs. THX for everything.

WinLinMac01
02-20-2008, 08:50 AM
GRUB bootloader also works according to what I researched in triple booting Mac, Windows, and Linux.

NdR23
02-20-2008, 01:23 PM
All I need to know now is the steps in order to make the windows partition Active. I can only do this using either Leopard or DOS.Any suggestions?

zephyroth
02-20-2008, 03:30 PM
Boot with the DVD .
Press F8 then type -s.

If you only have one disk it's named rdisk0, if you have two rdisk0 and rdisk1, if you have three ... etc

type fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0
type print (it will show you each partition with their type)
type f X (where X is the Windows partition number, to make Windows partition active)
type update (to update the machine code)
type w (to write the change)
type q (to quit)

then reboot.

If all goes well you should be able to boot in Windows.

nchellzz
02-20-2008, 03:32 PM
alternatively,
boot up windows CD, enter recovery console and type:

diskpart
list disk
select disk X [replace with whichever disk your xp partition is]
list partition
select partition Y [replace with whichever partition your xp is]
active

nchellzz
02-20-2008, 03:36 PM
almost forgot..

easyBCD is for windows Vista

eddie11c
02-20-2008, 08:48 PM
If you get your windows partition set back to active use the tboot method. You can search in google for it and find the file. You will add it to the partition with windows. Load up windows and edit the startup menu adding c:\tboot="OSX" at the bottom of it.

NdR23
02-21-2008, 03:14 AM
Well zeph I tried your method, I got as far as PRINT is not a command, therefore i got stuck there.Secondly nchellzz, I tried to make the windows partition active by entering the recovery console using the XP cs..i got as far as DISKPART. It wouldn't allow me to list disk, it would only give me the option to either delete or create a partition.So looks like I'm shit out of luck.THX for all your help guys, I don't know what to do next.

mulan
02-21-2008, 03:48 AM
have the same problem as NdR23, have no idea what to do :(

eddie11c
02-21-2008, 04:47 AM
if you already have Leopard running just open terminal and follow these simple steps.

diskutil list
Remember what disk/partition your going to use for XP
fdisk -e /dev/rdiskX ##replace X with your disk number
f Y ##where Y is the Windows partition number
update
w ## will say it needs to reboot to initialize it enter y
q

Then try loading your windows up.

NdR23
02-21-2008, 05:45 AM
so I opened a terminal window in Leopard, Ityped the following..

diskutil list (it then shows my one drive 0..that is in 3 partitions, windows being #1 , blank fat 32 drive is #2, and Leopard is #3)
I typed ... fdisk -e/dev/rdisk0 (brings me to a bunch of command options)
I then type f 0...then I try f 1...but it keeps saying invalid command(or something similar)

so thats where I'm stuck once again..ith zephyroth's method PRINT is not a valid command..and eddie when I try urs..f # gives me the same result.

So I sit here pondering..what next?when will I get back into my original OS(XP)..
Any help is appreciated..THX to those who put in the time(I really do appareciate all the help)

eddie11c
02-21-2008, 06:09 AM
ok assuming your partitions are in order, you would need to type f 1 as disk0s1 should be your XP partition. If you still are having issues you can always try making partition 2 active and copying XP to it. As with most things, they are not always easy and can take time to get working(but for some of us thats half the fun).

NdR23
02-21-2008, 07:44 AM
yeah your dead on..XP is 0s1, do you have any other recommendations before I choose to copy XP to the 2nd partition?Any other commands I could use in the terminal to make the XP(0s1) partition active?

eddie11c
02-21-2008, 07:49 AM
You could try downloading a free copy of Ubuntu Live or similar and use Gparted to do it. I have done that in the past. Only takes a blank CD.

NdR23
02-21-2008, 09:35 AM
I there another way to make The XP partition bootable, I typed diskutil list in the terminal..seems more straight forward, listed all the partitions.I'm just looking for any alternative to get XP booting again.(besides re-installing the OS )

eddie11c
02-21-2008, 10:31 AM
As I suggested, download Ubuntu Live CD, and try using Gparted. It has a nice little GUI interface to set the boot flag. If it's ticked on, turn it off and back on again.

NdR23
02-21-2008, 10:41 AM
sounds very noob friendly..so it would an entirely different OS?

eddie11c
02-21-2008, 10:42 AM
Its an OS on a disk, you just burn it and boot it up, and you will be at a similar windows like interface with everything you need on the CD.

Raidz1
02-21-2008, 12:26 PM
What i used, is Gparted Live CD, It has this nifty utility, forgot what it is called, but its the first one on the utility list, I had to search the sectors within the HD, once, then after it finished, i had to search deeper for it to find all of my partitions, it did, so i set my main boot partition and my primary ones. Created the MBR for my Vista partition. Loaded the Restore disk, and it booted normally.

It took me ages to find that out. But it has helped a lot!

NdR23
02-21-2008, 03:40 PM
I did it! I used the windows vista cd instead of XP, i chose the repair computer option..then chose terminal, from there I typed..
diskpart
list disk
select disk X (X= # of primary drive)
list partition
select partition Y (Y= Drive installed primary OS on ie. XP/Vista)
active
exit

CLICK RESTART and that's it boots into XP.

I'm just wondering whats the best bootloader for XP to get back to Leopard?

nchellzz
02-21-2008, 06:35 PM
yes i should've mention that i did that on vista, not sure if it works on xp (and it's not)

for xp bootloader maybe you can use that chain0 technique (there's a tutorial on wiki).. haven't tried it on leopard though.. works on tiger

i never found anything as easy as easyBCD that work for XP

eddie11c
02-21-2008, 07:29 PM
do a google search for the tboot method. You will find the file you need and how to set it up.

zephyroth
02-21-2008, 08:30 PM
the chain0 method is easy too.

NdR23
02-22-2008, 08:56 AM
What would be the proper chain0 entry in the boot.ini file?I tried C:\chain0="Leopard"
XP is installed on the disk0s1..leopard is the thrid partition on the drive(0s3/Leopard) = C:/windows and F:/Leopard
What should my entry be?
btw I download tboot..placed it in my C:/ drive..in the boot.ini I entered c:\tboot="Leopard".
Any suggestions?

eddie11c
02-23-2008, 12:20 AM
ya thats all you should need NdR23. tboot is just a modified version of the chain0 method that allows booting of more partitions. So just place tboot in the root of your C drive and add that entry and when you boot up you should get an OS select menu.

NdR23
02-24-2008, 12:17 AM
I get a library/system/... error when I try to boot Leopard using tboot.This is what my boot.ini looks like

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
c:\tboot="Leopard"

what am I doing wrong?

eddie11c
02-24-2008, 12:50 PM
Thats what it should look like, /library/system doesn't even exist. Maybe you got a corrupt tboot file or something. try this one.

NdR23
02-24-2008, 01:57 PM
I used that tboot file you supplied, I still get the /library/system/preferences..doesn't exist..Am I labelling it wrong..should I choose something other than "Leopard"?

NdR23
02-25-2008, 05:54 AM
NM..I just installed vista on the 2nd partition..installed easybcd..piece of cake!
Thx for all ur help guys!