PDA

View Full Version : No Installer Packages ..

DocShadow
08-13-2009, 01:32 AM
This is probably not unique to SL but I'm posting it here because it occurs on my SL install.

I restored a SL 10A380.dmg to a blank partition on one drive and then installed SL onto another drive using the OSInstall.mpkg file. Installation was successful. When I go into my SL install and try to Repair Permissions using Disk Utility I receive the following message ....

"No installer packages can be found for this disk .."

Any ideas?

Thanks.

DocShadow
08-13-2009, 02:30 AM
I installed 402 and everything is as it should be.

If anyone has an idea why this occurs I would still like to know.

Thanks.

OG-Phantom
08-14-2009, 09:25 AM
I installed 402 and everything is as it should be.

If anyone has an idea why this occurs I would still like to know.

Thanks.

I would too. I didn't have the problem my first few installs (and I would get constant kernel panics no matter what I tried), but on all subsequent installs, it has done that (and fewer kernel panics). The normal googling searching yielded answers that didn't work (the basesystem.pkg bom exists). Even 10A421 did that to me my last try on repairing permissions. My last attempt didn't kernel panic after a few things I fiddled with, but I couldn't repair permissions due to that stupid error.

Either I get the MDWORKER kernel panic or I can't repair permissions but it doesn't kernel panic (much). Go figure.

DocShadow
08-14-2009, 01:17 PM
Must be some file missing somewhere. I never tried it (didn't think of it) but I wonder if a re-install of the same build from the same partition would solve that problem.

I'll have to try it next time it happens.

I don't think it's a UUID problem as I checked.

Shooting in the dark here. :-/

OG-Phantom
08-14-2009, 05:39 PM
Must be some file missing somewhere. I never tried it (didn't think of it) but I wonder if a re-install of the same build from the same partition would solve that problem.

I'll have to try it next time it happens.

I don't think it's a UUID problem as I checked.

Shooting in the dark here. :-/

Damn it. My install is perfect except for 2 things (might be releated, doubt it tho)
1) I cannot boot the 64bit kernel or it KPs immediately during boot
2) This damn repair permissions error (no installer packages) even tho this is a fresh install and I haven't fracked with ANYTHING

DocShadow
08-14-2009, 06:30 PM
Yes the two might be .... I remember having problems booting into 64 but I've done it so many times I can't remember what I did any more. :confused:

For #2 try what I did .... install the next version ... seems to have repaired itself.

I'm speculating that installing the same version might work but haven't tried it yet.

lancelotu
08-14-2009, 07:58 PM
This is probably not unique to SL but I'm posting it here because it occurs on my SL install.

I restored a SL 10A380.dmg to a blank partition on one drive and then installed SL onto another drive using the OSInstall.mpkg file. Installation was successful. When I go into my SL install and try to Repair Permissions using Disk Utility I receive the following message ....

"No installer packages can be found for this disk .."

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Update your software via Software Update and after reboot you should be able to repair permissions

OG-Phantom
08-14-2009, 09:26 PM
Update your software via Software Update and after reboot you should be able to repair permissions

Since I am running 10A432, i can't update. I will reinstall 432 ontop of itself and see if that fixes it. Be back later to let you all know if it worked.

DocShadow
08-15-2009, 01:32 AM
OK ... I did two installs of SL 432 today. I restored to a temp partition and installed with OSInstal.mkpg

If I installed from Leopard .... I would get the message when I tried to fix permissions with Disk Utility

If I installed from SL .... was able to fit permissions with DU.

Now I need to get 432 up ... it keeps hanging on the last step before the desktop. :mad:

OG-Phantom
08-15-2009, 12:28 PM
OK ... I did two installs of SL 432 today. I restored to a temp partition and installed with OSInstal.mkpg

If I installed from Leopard .... I would get the message when I tried to fix permissions with Disk Utility

If I installed from SL .... was able to fit permissions with DU.

Now I need to get 432 up ... it keeps hanging on the last step before the desktop. :mad:

That's what I was not hoping for. So, we will need to install a temp copy of SL, then install another copy (to the HD we really want to install to) and then be able to run SL. My last attempt at SL was so unstable, it would KP randomly within the first 30 seconds at getting to the desktop. Sometimes it would be the finder, other times a different thread would KP. No pattern to it. (and this was in 32bit kernel mode, 64bit kernel mode would KP at the beginning of the boot sequence, with or without dsdt)

Everyone with similar boards, how are you installing? What bootmgr are you using? EFI install? MBR? There has to be a reason my installs are as unstable as sh**.

DocShadow
08-15-2009, 01:52 PM
Same KP here so I don't think it's specific to the board.

It has to do with one of the kexts 'cause I was fooling around with one of my SL installs and now it does the same thing. :mad:

mitchde
08-15-2009, 05:02 PM
i now installed A432 again from my A421 SL.
That fixed the missing packages for the disk utility repair permissions :) !

The Leo Installer , if using to install OSSInstall.mpkg does his work not 100%, installs but
cant do that packadges for receipts correct.

tsotelo
08-16-2009, 10:26 PM
Reinstall BSD.mpkg and problem solved.

OG-Phantom
08-17-2009, 06:43 AM
Reinstall BSD.mpkg and problem solved.

I installed 432 from a 432temp install, and it is running SMOOTH. 64bit kernel mode is working good and I don't have a complaint. I noticed, the installer runs different from within snow leo then it does under 10.5 leopard. I hope a boot-132cd version will work with Snow soon, to avoid all the hassle I just went through... ^_^

mitchde
08-17-2009, 09:09 AM
Yep.
It seems to be an difference if using the OSInstall.mprg from OS X 10.5 or within an Snow Leo.
At least i had major problems with the diskutil repair rights after using 10.5 for the install.
From A421 install i had no problems with disk utility & repair rights. ( i changed nothing else!)

DocShadow
08-17-2009, 01:37 PM
I agree ... it looks like we are all confirming the same experience ...

If you install SL within Leo then you get the installer error if trying to fix permissions in Disk Utility.

If you install SL wihin SL then there is no error.

Snow
08-17-2009, 09:33 PM
Same here, installed from within Leo.

Lots of random Kernel Panics in Snow. Got that fixed with rebuilding kextcache in single user boot.
I'm reinstalling BSD.pkg now to check if the "no packages" issue is gone.

Here's what I did to remove KP's:

boot with -s

/sbin/fsck -fy
/sbin/mount -uw /
sudo -s (dunno if this is necessary)
chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/snow partition/System/Library/Extensions/*
chmod -R 755 /Volumes/snow partition/System/Library/Extensions/*

then I did:

sudo chown 0:0 /
rm -rf /System/Library/Cashes
kextcache -v l -t -l -m /System/Library/Cahces/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

after a reboot I'm still in Snow whereas normaly it would have KP by now.

OG-Phantom
08-18-2009, 04:24 AM
Same here, installed from within Leo.

Lots of random Kernel Panics in Snow. Got that fixed with rebuilding kextcache in single user boot.
I'm reinstalling BSD.pkg now to check if the "no packages" issue is gone.

Here's what I did to remove KP's:

boot with -s

/sbin/fsck -fy
/sbin/mount -uw /
sudo -s (dunno if this is necessary)
chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/snow partition/System/Library/Extensions/*
chmod -R 755 /Volumes/snow partition/System/Library/Extensions/*

then i did:

sudo chown 0:0 /
rm -rf /System/Library/Cashes
kextcache -v l -t -l -m /System/Library/Cahces/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

after a reboot I'm still in Snow whereas normaly it would have KP by now.

Very encouraging. Have you tried 64bit kernel mode yet? (boot with -x64 or arch=x86_64). I noticed before, when I was installing from within Leopard, I would get instant KPs booting 64bit mode. No amount of fidgeting with it would fix it.

DocShadow
08-18-2009, 04:34 AM
I'm getting KP's in 64 bit 'cause disabler is 32 bit and I haven't found anything to replace it.

32 bit seems to work OK.

Snow
08-18-2009, 06:45 AM
@tsotelo: well, I had it working until I installed that BS(O)D package ;) back to kernel panics within Snow.

@OG-Phantom: I've been booting into 64bit all along so will try 32bit m8. I think this is defenetly permissions related so whenever I get it a bit stable I will use it to install another Snow.

Update 1: hmm, booted with -x32 and so far no KP (10 mins in) and repairing permissions even seems to be working now and it has never been this fast (even in Leopard) I'm talking about 3 secs :/

So is this 64bit and our hardware related or just using bad 64bit kexts?

Update 2: Just had another freeze, had installed kx driver and was running fine so dont know if its related or not (was listening to radio stream for about 5 mins)

So conclusion so far is x64bit does not work (constant panics after boot) and x32bit "seems" stable (have to test some more)
I do have the mouse stutter lag though, I think its related to itunes again :/ (I'm using 8800GT)

OG-Phantom
08-18-2009, 03:28 PM
@tsotelo: well, I had it working until I installed that BS(O)D package ;) back to kernel panics within Snow.

@OG-Phantom: I've been booting into 64bit all along so will try 32bit m8. I think this is defenetly permissions related so whenever I get it a bit stable I will use it to install another Snow.

Update 1: hmm, booted with -x32 and so far no KP (10 mins in) and repairing permissions even seems to be working now and it has never been this fast (even in Leopard) I'm talking about 3 secs :/

So is this 64bit and our hardware related or just using bad 64bit kexts?

Update 2: Just had another freeze, had installed kx driver and was running fine so dont know if its related or not (was listening to radio stream for about 5 mins)

So conclusion so far is x64bit does not work (constant panics after boot) and x32bit "seems" stable (have to test some more)
I do have the mouse stutter lag though, I think its related to itunes again :/ (I'm using 8800GT)

I have 64bit stable now. Though alot of things do not work in 64bit mode, so I am sticking with 32bit (had 64bit running all night, no KPs). If the repairing permissions is going that fast, it's not working! 3 seconds??? Mine takes approx 1.5minutes - 2.5minutes depending on how many permissions are screwed up. :-|

tomnic
08-21-2009, 11:38 AM
I think the permission issue goes away using a BaseSystem.pkg receipt from a working SL install... this file is in Library\Receipts directory... can anobody confirm that? I haven't got such a file in that directory... the problem is caused by the lack of this file, according to many official apple post about this problem.

DocShadow
08-21-2009, 12:44 PM
Yes ... I have that file in all 3 of my SL installs (380 and 432).

BeSweeet
08-21-2009, 03:39 PM
I get the same error too... Any ideas? It does the same thing in 32-bit mode and in 64-bit mode. I'd like to not have to reinstall SL... Any terminal commands?

OG-Phantom
08-21-2009, 03:43 PM
Yes ... I have that file in all 3 of my SL installs (380 and 432).

Strange, I don't have a "BaseSystem.pkg". I do have a BSD.pkg tho. In my Leopard install, I have that file, but not SL. And, my repair permissions is working fine.

BeSweeet
08-21-2009, 03:49 PM
Screenshot of the problem:
http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/2816/screenshot20090821at746.png

I'm not too worried about this, since nothing seems to be having any real problems (except for Voodoo PS2 only enabling my keyboard, and Voodoo HDA not doing anything).

xxxslayeriiixxx
08-28-2009, 04:54 AM
OG-Phantom, installating 432 on top of 432 didnt solve anything. I tried it and it works fine, but the no packages error is still there

Chrisb27
08-28-2009, 06:09 AM
I had the same issue on my system. Installing FROM a running Snow Leopard 432 install and it did not have the issue. Testing another install that had the issue I manually re-installed the BSD.pkg from the install DVD image and that fixed the problem as well.

xxxslayeriiixxx
08-28-2009, 06:26 AM
it fix the problem, but i dont think it has all the packages. it takes less than a second to repair permissions, there should be something wrong with that.

BeSweeet
08-28-2009, 03:19 PM
Can someone upload the BSD.pkg? I think I dumped all my Snow Leopard related files :\.

OG-Phantom
08-28-2009, 05:39 PM
Can someone upload the BSD.pkg? I think I dumped all my Snow Leopard related files :\.

Here ya go!

BeSweeet
08-28-2009, 05:51 PM
Didn't work :\. The file is only 140 bytes.

Ianxxx
08-29-2009, 12:26 AM
I can confirm what's being said about installing from snow leopard fixing no installer packages , also software update crashed my first install, but not my install from within snow leopard.
God that sounds confusing!

OG-Phantom
08-29-2009, 09:37 AM
Didn't work :\. The file is only 140 bytes.

Wait, did you want the bsd.pkg from the install DVD or the bsd.pkg from the receipts folder? The one I attached is from the receipts folder, not the DVD installer pkg. That file I believe is too big to attach here....

EDIT: Just checked, that file is 267MB. No way can I attach that here on a post.

BeSweeet
08-29-2009, 06:14 PM
Maybe 2shared or Mediafire? I can't believe I deleted my DMG.

xxxslayeriiixxx
08-29-2009, 07:15 PM
i just did a fresh install of SL within a Snow Leo System and it fixed the problem.

katiepea
09-24-2009, 10:48 PM
has anyone found a solution to this outside of reinstalling snow leopard, if i reinstall the bsd.pkg it does indeed remove the error, but obviously disk utility isn't actually doing anything as its done in like 30 seconds, with NOTHING, being reported. if we knew what files needed to be replaced i could install snowleopard to a blank disc and then copy over whatever files need to be replaced to the current install. I've tried copying the receipts over from another actual mac and that didn't do anything, so i'm not very convinced this has anything to do with receipts

OG-Phantom
09-26-2009, 07:27 PM
has anyone found a solution to this outside of reinstalling snow leopard, if i reinstall the bsd.pkg it does indeed remove the error, but obviously disk utility isn't actually doing anything as its done in like 30 seconds, with NOTHING, being reported. if we knew what files needed to be replaced i could install snowleopard to a blank disc and then copy over whatever files need to be replaced to the current install. I've tried copying the receipts over from another actual mac and that didn't do anything, so i'm not very convinced this has anything to do with receipts

Some have said that re-installing the bsd.pkg fixes the issue, but, from what I have seen, Snow Leopard needs to run in a "snow leopard" environment due to how it installs itself. There is a tutorial around here about how to boot the Snow Leo installer from a USB flashdrive.

iTuning
10-04-2009, 01:07 PM
Hey, guys,

Sorry if i overlooked this been already "uncovered" and solved,
bit i found a way and wanted to share it with you anyway.

So, here's how i managed to workaround this same issue that drove me nuts :)

1. Pop in your Snow Leopard DVD
2. Open up a terminal, sudo -s + password and copy/paste in following lines:

cd /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages
installer -pkg /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages/BSD.pkg -target /Volumes/Your_Drive/Library/Receipts/
I gave the direct path to the proper place of the receipt, but i think it should be working when giving the root "/", too.

3. Result :
installer: Package name is BSD
installer: Upgrading at base path /
2009-10-04 14:50:28.344 installer[451:742b] using receipt prefix of /
installer: The upgrade was successful.
bash-3.2#

4. Go to Disk Utility and successfully repair your permissions :)

Hope this helps,
Greetings

iamhappy
10-05-2009, 06:23 AM
same here ("fixed" with bsd.pkg -> kind of broken "permission repair function") so no turbo permissions repair in SL :D

i guess i'd have to do everything again, hurraay :)

seems not possible to fix afterwards

BUT since everything works, i leave my install.

ps: i have no clue why but on the first fresh run, permissions were wrong for a lot of stuff, basically everything relating to "my user" was the most obvious - could'nt even download to desktop. created a new user... everything seems fine (running for weeks now).

thorazine74
10-05-2009, 07:54 AM
I think the key is what OG-Phantom mentioned: running the installer from an OS that is NOT Snow Leopard results in troubles, I got the same troubles plus errors in the installations log but when I install SL booting from an USB Installer I got none at all, everything works 100% and no installation errors.
So in my opinion the only complete fix could be:
- Installing Snow booting from the DVD/USB.
- Install from Leopard launching OSInstall.mpkg, and then when you have a running Snow, install again from Snow with OSInstall.mpkg, but targeting a new partition.

callingltu
10-06-2009, 01:44 AM
I can't install bsd.pkg, because during install i get KP, i've tried it 5 times and i always get KP when it's less then a minute left. Any ideas solving that? :)

x986123
10-06-2009, 02:31 AM
Use Kext Utility to repair your permissions quickly.

OG-Phantom
10-08-2009, 12:37 AM
I think the key is what OG-Phantom mentioned: running the installer from an OS that is NOT Snow Leopard results in troubles, I got the same troubles plus errors in the installations log but when I install SL booting from an USB Installer I got none at all, everything works 100% and no installation errors.
So in my opinion the only complete fix could be:
- Installing Snow booting from the DVD/USB.
- Install from Leopard launching OSInstall.mpkg, and then when you have a running Snow, install again from Snow with OSInstall.mpkg, but targeting a new partition.

Absolutely. I have done numerous installs, and have not been able to make a stable vanilla install without using a "boot132" (USB/DVD) style method of booting the installer or using the last method you mentioned.

OG-Phantom
10-08-2009, 12:38 AM
Use Kext Utility to repair your permissions quickly.

Kext utility only repairs permissions on the kexts. Not the whole drive.

iTuning
10-10-2009, 01:27 PM
No one tried my method ? Should be working fine for you fellows

10-10-2009, 09:02 PM
I have the same problem on my Toshiba Satellite L305 laptop, I have the "Golden Master" version of Snow leopard.

I am going to try software update or just download the update manually. Can I update properly with the "Golden Master" edition?

OG-Phantom
10-10-2009, 10:23 PM
No one tried my method ? Should be working fine for you fellows

From what I see from your post, your re-installing the bsd.pkg using a little bit different method? Re-installing the bsd.pkg for me, just "tricked" the disk utility. It would repair permissions in under 30 seconds (which isn't really happening, it's just less broken) Repairing permissions should and does take between 1-3 minutes depending on how many permissions are off.

OG-Phantom
10-10-2009, 10:24 PM
I have the same problem on my Toshiba Satellite L305 laptop, I have the "Golden Master" version of Snow leopard.

I am going to try software update or just download the update manually. Can I update properly with the "Golden Master" edition?

The "GM" disk is the retail disk. GMs are what are used to mass produce the retail. Same thing.

10-11-2009, 06:40 PM
Awesome Dude, I'll Update as soon as my new router comes in for my internet to work on my laptop(my WIFI dont work yet).

10-29-2009, 05:06 AM
My SL is giving me permissions error too. I will try to install on GUID scheme.

xXrkidXx
10-29-2009, 11:08 PM
... you need to get your SL disc or flashdrive or whatever and re-run BSD.pkg. it will solve the problem.

10-29-2009, 11:12 PM
I found that I can Update the Dev. Seed SnowOSX Universal 10.6 GM (10a432) v3.5 Eng ( thats what I have installed) With Pacifist and a DMG of the 10.6.1 Update.

10-30-2009, 03:05 PM
I ran the update it was successful in the dev. seed (10a421) but did not fix this the error of the disk utility.

I was reading on insainlymac that reinstalling BSD.pkg results in the loss of administrative account privileges.

OG-Phantom
10-30-2009, 08:19 PM
I ran the update it was successful in the dev. seed (10a421) but did not fix this the error of the disk utility.

I was reading on insainlymac that reinstalling BSD.pkg results in the loss of administrative account privileges.

Again, this is why I suggest to have a second harddrive to install to. I already beat myself up on this one, learn from my pain. I tried for days to get the install to behave properly and couldn't. Now that you have a "damaged" SL install, you need to install SL on a different HD from within the "damaged" SL install. Once that is done, and you boot into the "new" SL install, you can repair permissions, etc, and everything will be working. You can then delete the "damaged" SL install and recover that HD space.

EDIT: Or if you got a 8GB usb drive (thumbdrive) you can set up a SL installer there, and reboot to that usb drive and install onto your drive that way. There is a guide floating around here, basicly you format the thumbdrive, restore the SL install DVD onto it, then you install chameleon (and other kexts you need into /extra) onto the thumbdrive and reboot.

kocoman
12-04-2009, 04:52 AM
I've tried to install SL within SL, but its always stuck at "examining additional disks". And even if it was to pass, it would still stuck at "Preparing for installation".

When I install SL from L, it went fine (but have this permission problem) I wonder if its the ICH6 problem, because I also get problems unmounting, resizing partitions.. the Console logs (All Logs) does not show anything special.. also nothing special from dmesg...