PDA

View Full Version : something like wubi

seethe303
08-15-2009, 10:48 AM
Hi, firstly sorry if there is similar post over here on the forum, but i couldn't find it.

I wanna ask if there is something similar to Wubi (linux)for iATKOS OSx86. That i can install it like a program under windows with full functionality.

Cheers

SomniusX
08-15-2009, 12:25 PM
Nah, i don't think so, cause there are some procedures to follow that differ a lot from a Linux Distro Installation.

You can install Grub to boot one OSX partition, but.. hm.. if you know that for example iAtkos fits you and installs fine, you can dd a pre-installed/prepared image of the partition with e.g. Gparted Live CD and install grub into it and boot it..

But, the installation doesn't take long for that kind of system, the only problem is the hardware compatibility which is why every installation is a pain in the a$$!

For example at the past i was using ToH 10.5.2 that was inside a disk image of 30gigs and i did dd on one of my partitions and changed the bootloader (even windows one) to boot it.. If i did something to mess that system, i just did another dd and get it back as it was when working..

And i'm suggesting this, if you manage to get a fully (or semi) working system clone it for later use, specially before upgrading it or changing sensitive system files!

;)

seethe303
08-15-2009, 02:46 PM
Thx,
I was actually asking coz i tried multi-boot, but when i run first time iATKOS (after installation) it couldn't find the keyboard - Clevo M570RU.
Maybe you are right, it is the hardware compatibility issue :(

SomniusX
08-15-2009, 02:49 PM
Everything is a hardware compatibility issue with OSx86 projects!

About the keyboard, you have it on usb or ps2?

seethe303
08-15-2009, 06:29 PM
The problem is , that i got just notebook with mouse :) I don't have an external keyboard. Probably after it will works, Or maybe not.

SomniusX
08-15-2009, 06:31 PM
hm.. you should be careful when you install it, choose the ps2 kexts to work with your laptop keyb..