PDA

View Full Version : OS X thinks my drives are external

arterio
08-15-2009, 06:57 PM
I have 3 internal HDD's. They're connected via sATA. My icon's are orange, they've always been orange since installing iAtkos v7. I thought thats just how it was as I've never used OS X before. But from viewing screenshots of other's desktops I see all of theirs are gray. It was suggested to me by another member on this forum to download CandyBar and that might fix it. After looking at the current icon's and what they mean, it seems my system thinks all my internal drives are external drives.

Does anyone know why this is happening? It doesn't appear to be affecting my system performance. My computer boots in around 23 seconds, impressive to me considering I came from Vista 64-bit and it would take roughly 90 seconds to boot. I used to leave my PC on all the time because it took too long to boot up just to check email. Now I don't mind shutting it down.

Anyways, back on topic... is there some setting or preference I need to modify to tell OS X that my drives are internal not external?

Thanks!

http://www.brianhillphotography.ca/osx86/Desktop_v1.png

Imkantus
08-20-2009, 11:47 AM
This is caused as OS X doesn't recognize your AHCI Controller Interface correctly, there is a fix for the Asus Boards out of that series which will also give you correct Infos in the System Profiler, but it is fo 10.5.6 you can get it here (http://rapidshare.com/files/269430475/AHCIfixv2_with_10.5.6_kexts__corrected_.zip) but you better make a back-up of your current files first, if it doesn't work with 10.5.8.

Otherwise if you are just about the visual thing you need no ShareWare stuff to change any icon, http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2493?viewlocale=en_US

arterio
08-20-2009, 05:07 PM
Thanks for the tip. I installed those KEXT's, backed up the originals. The system won't boot normally however unless I use the "-f" flag. Is there any way to resolve this?

Imkantus
08-21-2009, 08:13 AM
The system won't boot normally however unless I use the "-f" flag. Is there any way to resolve this?That's way curious as -f just causes OS X to rebuild the boot chaches.
You tried again after you figured that out?

For sure you can add the bootflag for default, just look up for com.apple.Boot.plist and you'll find out how to do.

PS. You didn't just drop in the files in within the Finder, did you? :D

arterio
08-21-2009, 01:53 PM
Yes, I used Finder to copy the files. Is there any other way I should have done it?

Imkantus
08-21-2009, 02:11 PM
Yes, I used Finder to copy the files. Is there any other way I should have done it?
Yes using KextHelper or the OSx86 Tools.
Just copying by Finder totaly messes up the file-permissions of the kext files.

Open a Terminal Window an enter the following commands line by line:

sudo -s
chown root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAHCIPort.kext
chown root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext
chmod 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAHCIPort.kext
chmod 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext

This should do the fix. :)

If this doesn't either use the OSx86 Tools, check the following Options "repair permissions", "Set kext permissions" & "Clear extensions cache" then execute & reboot.

arterio
08-21-2009, 04:53 PM
I did what you suggested and it fixed it. Thanks!!

atka
08-22-2009, 02:27 PM
There is also a DSDT fix find your sata device in your DSDT and then add this to the end of it if you have a ich7/8/9.

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
{
Store (Package (0x02)
{
"device-id",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x81, 0x26, 0x00, 0x00
}
}, Local0)
DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
Return (Local0)
}

Yes it does change your device from a ichx to a ESB2 but it fixes it without replaceing any kexts and is portable between leopard and snow leopard.

Ianxxx
08-24-2009, 11:08 PM
Another option is to install chameleon 2 and install the kexts it has, these will add supporting files to the extra folder without you having to change the ones in /System/Library/Extensions

Snow
09-02-2009, 05:13 PM
The only kext needed for me to fix the orange icons was IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.

zoliky
10-03-2009, 07:36 PM
[QUOTE=atka;31802]There is also a DSDT fix find your sata device in your DSDT and then add this to the end of it if you have a ich7/8/9.

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
{
Store (Package (0x02)
{
"device-id",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x81, 0x26, 0x00, 0x00
}
}, Local0)
DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
Return (Local0)
}

Atka, Do you use ICH9 ? I saw your ID's: 0x81, 0x26, 0x00, 0x00