PDA

View Full Version : How to Install OS X 10.6 (10A432) on P5 series mobo.

svitale75
08-17-2009, 06:34 AM
OK, so 10A432 is most likely the last 10.6 update, at least this is the last one that SU delivered to my machines.
Here is a quick guide how to get it going in less than 15 minutes. This guide assumes that you have a running 10.5 and a spare disk.

Configuration:
MOBO = Asus P5K-Deluxe (any P5 will do)
Video card = Nvidea GT8600 512MB

Files for grab:
Archive.zip (http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?gjmnnziy01g)

How to:
Get your drive ready by creating 2 partitions GUID; one will be named "install" the other one "os".

1. Mount your 10A432 image on you desktop.
2. Open Terminal and run the following commands:

sudo -stype your password and then type:

chown 0:0 /Volume/os3. Open Disk Utility and select Restore, source: your 10A432 image and destination: install
4. When DU is done with the restore, go back on a new Terminal windows and type:

open /Volume/os/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg5. You should have a splash installer in front of you by now...start the installation and make sure you select "os" as destination hard disk.
6. When the installation is successfully completed do not reboot.
7. Install Bootloader2 and replace the Boot file in the root of os with the one included (color blue).
8. Put the dsmos.kext into /Volume/os/System/Library/Extensions
9. Repair your disk permission by running this code in Terminal:

sundo -s
chown -R root:wheel /Volume/os/System/Library/Extensions/*
chmod -R 755 Volume/os/System/Library/Extensions/*10. Reboot and be ready to hit tab to enter the following:

-x -v11. Enter safe mode finish the registration and open KextUtility and wait for full service for os.
12. Reboot without any argument on Kernel, you are good to go...and in 64bit

http://simonevitale.net/vw/r&d/latest_snow.jpg

http://simonevitale.net/vw/r&d/snow_latest.jpg

OG-Phantom
08-17-2009, 06:57 AM
OK, so 10A432 is most likely the last 10.6 update, at least this is the last one that SU delivered to my machines.
Here is a quick guide how to get it going in less than 15 minutes. This guide assumes that you have a running 10.5 and a spare disk.

Configuration:
MOBO = Asus P5K-Deluxe (any P5 will do)
Video card = Nvidea GT8600 512MB

Files for grab:
Archive.zip (http://simonevitale.net/vw/r&d/Archive.zip)

How to:
Get your drive ready by creating 2 partitions GUID; one will be named "install" the other one "os".

1. Mount your 10A432 image on you desktop.
2. Open Terminal and run the following commands:

sudo -stype your password and then type:

chown 0:0 /Volume/os3. Open Disk Utility and select Restore, source: your 10A432 image and destination: install
4. When DU is done with the restore, go back on a new Terminal windows and type:

open /Volume/os/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg5. You should have a splash installer in front of you by now...start the installation and make sure you select "os" as destination hard disk.
6. When the installation is successfully completed do not reboot.
7. Install Bootloader2 and replace the Boot file in the root of os with the one included (color blue).
8. Put the dsmos.kext into /Volume/os/System/Library/Extensions
9. Repair your disk permission by running this code in Terminal:

sundo -s
chown -R root:wheel /Volume/os/System/Library/Extensions/*
chmod -R 755 Volume/os/System/Library/Extensions/*10. Reboot and be ready to hit tab to enter the following:

-x -v11. Enter safe mode finish the registration and open KextUtility and wait for full service for os.
12. Reboot without any argument on Kernel, you are good to go...and in 64bit

http://simonevitale.net/vw/r&d/latest_snow.jpg

http://simonevitale.net/vw/r&d/snow_latest.jpg

-----

A few things,

I noticed that you have your HD as a folder on the desktop, and also in your archive you don't have an update jmicron64bit kext or a achiplist injector. I can provide those to you if you want to add them (those will fix your hd as a folder issue i believe), also, if you try to repair disk premissions, I can almost guarantee it will fail. For a "perfect" install, after doing your walkthrough, from within snow leo, install snow leo onto another HD. When you install Snow Leo from within Leopard, the installer craps out on alot of the scripts, causing a bunch of issues. I also have DSDT instructions and TheKing made a kext for our audio (plist) that will give you audio on first boot. I can point (or email) you to them. Excellent walkthrough otherwise. I only found the answers to somethings through ALOT of trial and error.

Tristano
08-19-2009, 11:01 PM
Hi
I have asus p5k, my hardisk sata2 not know.
ide hd yes its works
I used ich fix by netkas its not work for me plase help me.

Tris

Pigna145
08-21-2009, 09:56 PM
@OG-Phantom Don't know if you already shared files with svitale75 but otherwise could you post them to this thread. Would be nice to have good document for P5x boards.

Hmmm now I still have to find a solution for the ATI 3870 videocard that apparently is currently not supported. :)

svitale75
08-24-2009, 06:05 AM
-----

A few things,

I noticed that you have your HD as a folder on the desktop,

Thanks for your notes.

Look close, that is an Alias not a folder.
On finder preferences you can now choose not to display your HDs on desktop and that is what I did.

No kexts are needed form my mobo to show the HD with proper icons. The only issue is restart and shutdown as far as I can tell. Minimum kexts mods is what I am looking for, this prove that SL is indeed open to regular PCs with the exception of DSMOS ;)

As far as permissions, I have no problem there, I fixed my receipts and you can see the captures for more details:

schwinn555
08-24-2009, 08:17 AM
Thanks for the straight forward install with easy to follow info. My install doesn't boot and I have a couple of questions.
I wasn't able to repair permissions. Yes I made sure I changed the name to match my hard drive. Message I see in verbose mode that I have no idea how to fix nor why it appears.
"Mac OS version: Not yet set"
thanks

rsilves
08-26-2009, 09:27 PM
I followed the guide, but there's no place to hit tab, it just boots and gets stuck in the grey apple logo with the spinning wheel.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Rodrigo

Chrisb27
08-26-2009, 09:44 PM
Edit your com.apple.Boot.plist with property list editor add "Timeout" and "10" for a value, that should give you the delay to add switches. It should be in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

rsilves
08-27-2009, 12:49 AM
Thanks!
I tried booting with another chamaleon bootloader in a usb stick (from this post (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=181191)) and then tried the com.apple.Boot.plist edit, and both lead the boot to almost the same point.

When I tried with the other chamaleon usb stick, the boot stuck in a line that started in AppleYukon2, then I don't remember what it said, and ended in "nothing received, soft reset of chip". After a long time (~15min) that message was repeated three times.

Now, loading with the bootloader from the drive (from this guide) the boot is stuck in "dsmos: Hook and decryption contexts set!".

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Rodrigo

winnipc
08-31-2009, 07:00 PM
archive.zip link don´t work !!!

prettyby7
08-31-2009, 08:31 PM
svitale75 (http://www.infinitemac.com/../../member.php?u=9242) how big do you make the 2 partitions "install" and "os"? I assume OS has to be bigger if your going to run SL as your main OS. Other guides talk about DSDT.aml being edited and also editing the com.apple.boot file and smbios.plist file in order to get everything working right. I have a P5K pro and if I follow your guide will everything work? I've been doing other procedures like DSDT patches and editting smbios.plist and always get kernel panics.

prettyby7
08-31-2009, 08:35 PM
Other guide I'm referring to:

http://www.infinitemac.com/f57/how-to-snow-leopard-gm-10a432-on-p5k-t3380/

This guide I followed and got kernel panic with "Mac OS Version Not Yet Set" and then uptime in nanoseconds and it just sits there.

svitale75
08-31-2009, 09:14 PM
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?gjmnnziy01g

svitale75
08-31-2009, 09:18 PM
I followed the guide, but there's no place to hit tab, it just boots and gets stuck in the grey apple logo with the spinning wheel.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Rodrigo

the TAB should be pressed when you see a small spinning cursor on the top left corner of your screen.

in alternative, you can modify your boot file found at:

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

you want to modify this section:

<key>Timeout</key>
<string>1</string>

the number 1 is for 1 second timeout before boot, change it to 10 so that you have enough time to hit tab key.

svitale75
08-31-2009, 09:21 PM
svitale75 (http://www.infinitemac.com/../../member.php?u=9242) how big do you make the 2 partitions "install" and "os"? I assume OS has to be bigger if your going to run SL as your main OS. Other guides talk about DSDT.aml being edited and also editing the com.apple.boot file and smbios.plist file in order to get everything working right. I have a P5K pro and if I follow your guide will everything work? I've been doing other procedures like DSDT patches and editting smbios.plist and always get kernel panics.

i followed that guide too and all i got was a kernel panic.

like I said, less is more... i was amazed on how little mods and almost no files are needed to get the P5 series working perfectly with OS X, especially SL.

give it a try...the partition sizes are irrelevant because you can always remove what you do not need afterward. i am using a 500GB HD so i did 250GB each.

Cee
08-31-2009, 09:57 PM
hi, could you please uploade archive.zip again?

thanks ;)

prettyby7
08-31-2009, 10:08 PM

like I said, less is more... i was amazed on how little mods and almost no files are needed to get the P5 series working perfectly with OS X, especially SL.

give it a try...the partition sizes are irrelevant because you can always remove what you do not need afterward. i am using a 500GB HD so i did 250GB each.

OK svitale75 (http://www.infinitemac.com/member.php?u=9242) I'll try your guide and post back with the results. Less is more I agree with you on that one. Is all working on your SL OS svitale75 i.e. sleep, shutdown/restart, audio, LAN, Time Machine, etc.? If you can verify these things I will jump on your guide and try tonight. This has been beating me up ALL weekend! Thx for the follow up.

Cee
08-31-2009, 10:16 PM
hi, could you please uploade archive.zip again?

thanks ;)

the mediafire link only downloads smbios.plist.

prettyby7
09-01-2009, 03:16 AM

svitale75 following your guide got me lost on:

Code:
open /Volume/os/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg

The volume "os" doesn't have any directories since doing number 3 required performing a restore to "install" partition. On the "install" partition I do have that location so I substituted "os" for "install" since the directory was on "install". Was this right or am I mistaken? The "os" partition was only formatted from your guide on step 2 and is essentially still blank before step number 4 where you specify to do the "open" command for the OSInstall.mpkg.

Thanks svitale75

-PB

prettyby7
09-01-2009, 04:08 AM
svitale75,

Followed your guide and I encounter KP as well. Pic attached

http://i25.tinypic.com/2gxhgr5.jpg

I noticed that when I replaced the "boot" file on the root of my "os" drive there wasn't a "boot" file to replace so I just copied that blue one to the root without replacing anything. When I reboot and perform the -x -v I get the KP.

fc bayern
09-01-2009, 09:39 AM
I've had Mac os x 10.5.8 working problem loss on my PS(P5K-SE), installed with aitkos 10.5.7, and updated, but I’ve installed SL several time, and cant get to boot on successfully. I have 3HD, one 500 GB SATA2 with 2 partitions, one for VISTA X64(70GB) and other 430GB, second 1TB with 2 partitions, one for Mac and other for SNOW, and the third HD(80GB) old one.
The message that I’m getting after booting with -f is :
com.apple.AppleFSComresion ZLib loaded succeeded or something like that, and after that just waiting
Any proposals or solutions

winnipc
09-01-2009, 09:55 AM
the download includes only one file, whats your problem?
why you do not upload all needed files in one zip

iyohmamma
10-15-2009, 08:18 AM
ARE YOU SURE YOU PUT THE RESTORE ON THE install THEN TRY TO LAUNCH THE
OSInstall.mpkg FROM THE os (your step 4)? Does not work and makes no sense.
Further what is the download file for.....as others have said it is B.S.
Also me thinkin, why can't we go to the folder and open the install itself?????????? I would like to do this because the spelling, caps etc is quite important and makes it hard to type to find it.....just go through the heirachy and find it and double click on it....golly it will launch, p.s. what is a "Splash" ??????
IT WOULD BE NICE IF PEOPLE DID NOT POST WHEN THEY CANNOT COMPLETE THEIR THOUGHTS....it only complicates things for us who are trying so hard to understand.