PDA

View Full Version : network problem, stopped working

eemerge
08-19-2009, 09:24 PM
I've been using iatkos for several months , everything worked fine...

Today, i ran into a little problem. im sharing the internet connection on iatkos with a laptop. Until today all was FINE, today the laptop didnt communicate with the desktop . I checked cable, everything...all were ok.

Before i rebooted iatkos, i had internet. After reboot, the main network card (connected to the ISP modem) just doesnt want to get its IP via DHCP. I keep getting 169.bla bla. Also, another strange thing i cant 'connect' the laptop with the desktop.i even tried entering addresses manually.

So my guess is something is bad with the network on Mac OS. But i cannot figure it out since everything seems ok there., no problems reported no nothing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

SaCleoCheater
08-19-2009, 09:48 PM
I've had this problem in the past and here's how I've solved it...

Use a direct ethernet cable from your Laptop to your iATKOS System. (Try to use a Wireless connection on your Hackintosh to connect to the internet.
On the Desktop (Running OS X), Open System Preferences and click "Network"
In the sidebar, click the Ethernet port.
Set "Configure:" to "Manually".
For the IP address, type 192.168.2.1
(Windows requires direct network computers to use a subnet mask) For the Subnet Mask, type 255.255.255.0
Now, click apply. If you want to Share files from the Mac and PC, then click "Advanced..." If not, skip to the Windows PC part.
Browse to the WINS tab and type in your network workgroup name in the "Workgroup" box. If you haven't changed the workgroup name on your Laptop, the default is either "MSHOME" or "WORKGROUP" (without quotes).
Once you've typed in the Workgroup name, click OK then Apply.
Back on the Windows system...
Open network connections, right-click your Ethernet connection and click properties.
In the first tab (I think), Scroll down in the box and select TCP/IP and click Properties.
Browse to the tab where it should say things like "Configure IP Address Automatically" and set the IP address to Manual.
For the IP address, type 192.168.2.2 (It's important that more than 2 computers do not have the same IP on a network.)
Subnet mask will be the same, so type 255.255.255.0

Your Mac and PC should now be communicating again.

If you use a router, check the settings by typing in the router's IP in the Address bar of your selected web browser. Usual IPs are "192.168.2.1" or "192.168.1.1"
Make sure DHCP server is "ENABLED". (This feature automatically assigns an IP to each computer on the network, so you don't have to worry about the dirty work).

Hope this helps ;)
~ Cleo :D

eemerge
08-19-2009, 10:13 PM
Hey thanks for the detailed answer .

Meanwhile, my internet connection came back. Im not sure if it is because of the fact that i deleted and added again a ethernet connection for the network card that was connecting to the ISP modem , or something else happened; its very strange i cant figure it out.

But still, the laptop cannot communicate with the dekstop. Im reading the console logs, and im getting some DENY messages which i think are for packets coming from the laptop.

I'm using a direct connect cable and i tried entering the addresses manually. I will try again with the info you specified and post back with the result.

Thanks once again.

eemerge
08-19-2009, 10:21 PM
Ok i set up the connections as you said, still i am not getting anything from my laptop.

The problem is it just stopped working during the day. I didnt do anything or change anything, and this is very strange. Until now , i had the laptop on Automatically get an ip address, now it wont work even manually...very strange...

SaCleoCheater
08-19-2009, 10:30 PM
Hmm yes, indeed strange :-/

It could be a hardware or driver issue, try checking to see if you have the latest drivers for your Cards.

Good Luck

eemerge
08-19-2009, 10:44 PM
I think something screwed up in iatkos, since on Vista, everything worked OK without any modifications. Also, this happened suddenly, i didnt change anything on the laptop or desktop. I'll look more into it maybe i`ll find a solution.

Thanks for the help so far :)