PDA

View Full Version : Installing SL on Gigabyte EP45-UD3P

dmtza
08-23-2009, 10:05 PM
Hi,

I am trying to install SL on a EP45-UD3P but it KP as soon as I try booting off the SL HD.

Has anyone been successful in getting SL to work for them on this particular board?

Thanks.

Obecny
08-23-2009, 11:13 PM
I'll join here with the same question :( UD3P KP on first boot, x32 or x64 no different :(

DocShadow
08-23-2009, 11:18 PM
It's not unique to this board. There are a few threads discussing KP's and possible fixes.

In short ... if it's during boot up it's the bootloader ... if on the desktop, permissions.

machinist
08-23-2009, 11:33 PM
Have you perused Project Snow? The author uses a EP45T-UD3P and provides detailed instructions on installation.

I've a EP45-UD3P with a Q6600. SL runs on all of four kexts and a modded DSDT, though I do have issues thanks to my Sapphire 3870.

This board, (the UD3P), accommodates SL quite gracefully.

Obecny
08-23-2009, 11:49 PM
Have you perused Project Snow? The author uses a EP45T-UD3P and provides detailed instructions on installation.

I've a EP45-UD3P with a Q6600. SL runs on all of four kexts and a modded DSDT, though I do have issues thanks to my Sapphire 3870.

This board, (the UD3P), accommodates SL quite gracefully.

Are You able to upload somewhere Your patched DSDT or send me it on email?

Thanks

machinist
08-24-2009, 12:17 AM
The author of Project Snow has posted his dsdt on that site, both in .dsl and .aml format. His audio solution will likely not work OOB for you however. I think the sound issues from the black jack in back with layout-id "12". Try layout-id "66" or in hex, "0x42, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00" with the proper codec-id and sound should be fine. It's worked for everyone else so far.

Alternatively there is a thread over on Insanely with a .pdf detailing exactly how to mod your dsdt (for the UD3x) for SL.

If you speak Spanish, Pere has a expansive DSDT site at osx86.es

I don't think my DSDT will help you past the kps.

What's your hardware?

Obecny
08-24-2009, 12:28 AM
I've updated my signature with my hardware, and now I'm going to do a deep search for my DSDT patching guide in english :)

machinist
08-24-2009, 12:41 AM
Try koalala's beta 5 tool. It's in English and should enable your hardware.

Good luck.

Obecny
08-24-2009, 01:15 AM
Thanks very much, I'll try it tomorrow, time to go sleep is almost morning here :)

skydrone
08-24-2009, 07:37 AM
machinist, do you have Bonjour working on this board?

Mine doesn't.

Which 4 kext's are you using??

machinist
08-24-2009, 09:23 AM
skydrone:

No Bonjour with the RTL8169s enabled through dsdt in either 10.5.8 or 10.6 for me either. "Full Duplex" though. I am not yet resigned to the absence of Bonjour, and continue to try different approaches to enable it. Just downloaded Realtek's Mac drivers for the 8169, installed and no apparent change. I'll post if the 8169 decides to play nice with Bonjour.

Have you tried any approaches to enable Bonjour?

The four kexts I use in SL are:

fakesmc
nullpower
open halt restart
platform uuid

Which do you use?

skydrone
08-24-2009, 09:48 AM
I'm in the same situation as you. Ethernet works at 1Gbit without any problems. I can see samba shares on Finder, and access them. But, for example some apps which use Bonjour, like Cyberduck or Things, can't see any shared resource.

I will try R1000.kext when I'm at home and report back.

I'm using the same kexts as you, but also sleepenabler and disabler. Otherwise, sleep doesn't work on my setup.

Cheers!

mitchde
08-24-2009, 09:53 AM
You can fix Bonjour / Timemachine (same problem!) by DSDT.
The problem is, that OS X see our LAN not as build in. So Bonjour + TM cant work.
The DSDT Timemachine fix injectes build in , so you dont need any .kext patches for IONetwork or LAn drivers.

Look here:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=142434

skydrone
08-24-2009, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the info, mitchde

Did you try this fix on this board? Can you report that it works fine? I'm not at home now, but I will try as soon I arrive there.

skydrone
08-24-2009, 10:22 AM
For those who can try it now, this is the code to add under Network section on your DSDT:

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
{
Store (Package (0x06)
{
"built-in",
Buffer (One)
{
0x01
},

"device_type",
Buffer (0x09)
{
"ethernet"
},
"name",
Buffer (0x24)
{
"Realtek RTL8111/8168B PCI-E Gigabit"
}
}, Local0)
DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
Return (Local0)
}

machinist
08-24-2009, 01:32 PM
skydrone:

That bit of code changes nothing on my machine. RTL8169E still has the half assed Bonjour: shared resources of this machine appear in the Finder sidebar of other machines, but assets of other machines don't manifest on this machine's Finder sidebar. With psystar's R1000 kext it works both ways.

Does that code enable both directions for you?

mitchde: "Built-in" may be a requirement for Bonjour, but it's not sufficient. Both iterations of both ports show as "built-in", yet Bonjour only works halfway in 8169.

True, error free "built-in" status can only be achieved if both ports are independently mended with the "time machine fix", and a uuid is established. I use platform uuid kext and sync it with the smbios and the disk utility's read of the disk uuid. (see uuid, "error 35" thread, reply 23 at voodoo board: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=hc9n8760shjlba2g9l74en55p5&topic=250.15)

This is not an idiosyncratic issue. The author of a guide for the EP45T-UD3P experiences the same issue using an efi string to enable one of his ports: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=163899&st=0

(He incorrectly asserts "no Macs come with dual ethernet". All MacPros come with dual ethernet ports.)

Half Bonjour is better then none, but remains very curious.

skydrone
08-24-2009, 05:37 PM
Hi again,

I just arrived at home, so my first test was to include R1000.kext into my /Extra/Extensions.mkext and boot with arch=i386 on the boot.plist.

Any changes. SMB shares are still shown on Finder, but I think that bonjour doesn't work at all because bonjour tab under Cyberduck doesn't find my iPhone.

Is there any way to test bonjour easily?

skydrone
08-24-2009, 09:21 PM
Got it working!! Finally!!

You just have to change your NIC to promisc mode. :cool::cool:

machinist
08-24-2009, 11:44 PM
Got it working!! Finally!!

You just have to change your NIC to promisc mode. :cool::cool:

Congratulations skydrone!

Are you using the R1000 kext?

How do you enable promiscuity mode for the onboard R8168C?

skydrone
08-25-2009, 08:10 AM
Thanks machinist!

No need to use additional kext like R1000, it uses the Apple drivers.
The only thing you need to do is to get the modified ifconfig from here:

http://www.stanford.edu/~dub/macstuff/ifconfig.tgz

And set the NIC to promisc mode on every boot.

Cheers!

machinist
08-31-2009, 04:03 AM
skydrone:

Thanks for posting the link to a splendid ifconfig program. Sadly, still no "Bonjour" or at least the aspect sought. Another Mac/Hack hooked up to this machine will still "see" this machine, displaying the shared folders in the sidebar of Finder automatically, but that machine's shared files or whatever just don't display in the sidebar of Finder on this machine. Does that function work for you?

I have not yet given up. I've tried enabling "checksum offload" in the 8168/8169 kexts in IONetworkingFamily.kext as some sources suggested that might be the issue, but with no success.

Still have some ideas, and will post if any work out.

Enjoy your "Bonjour" and thanks for sharing your efforts with me.

skydrone
08-31-2009, 11:48 AM
Machinist,

Please use unpatched everything, just vanilla kext's. Then check by using ifconfig if your network adapter is working in Promisc mode.

You can use Cyberduck's Bonjour tab to check if its working for you or not. This already works for a lot of people, so I don't see the problem in your system.

Could you try that and give me more information?

Cheers!!

machinist
09-01-2009, 12:34 AM
skydrone:

Vanilla all, yet the issue persists. With two Hacks linked, the other one shows shares from this machine. When sharing is disabled, the shares disappear from the other machine's Finder Sidebar, but the flip is not happening, except with the RTL1000 kext in place. Ifconfig does not show promisc mode when the R1000 kext is in play.

I have double checked that promisc is enabled, and repeated this procedure a few times. I'm not saying it's not "human error" on my part, just unlikely. Simply put, with R1000 I can see the other Hack's shares, without it, sadly, not.

When you have two machines connected and file sharing enabled, can you see the other machine's shares?

machinist
09-01-2009, 09:49 AM
skydrone:

The "promisc fix" made its way to this thread recently:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=181903

One is enjoying full Bonjour with shares showing, and another has a Snow machine which can "see" but is invisible, precisely the reverse of my situation where my Snow is blind.

These posts are near the end of the thread.

Thought you might find this interesting.

machinist
09-03-2009, 09:59 PM
Machinist,

Please use unpatched everything, just vanilla kext's. Then check by using ifconfig if your network adapter is working in Promisc mode.

You can use Cyberduck's Bonjour tab to check if its working for you or not. This already works for a lot of people, so I don't see the problem in your system.

Could you try that and give me more information?

Cheers!!

skydrone:

With retail installation and ifconfig promisc enabled, Bonjour is now seemingly fully operational. Pleasantly surprised to both see and be seen by other hacks in this cluster.

skydrone
09-04-2009, 11:31 AM
I'm happy that finally works for you! :)