PDA

View Full Version : How to replace Leopard with Snow leopard?

dustintinsley
08-30-2009, 01:43 AM
I am currently running Leopard 10.5.8. I am going to install SL and by all the guides, I see it is best to install to a new HD. As I only have 1 internal HD, I plan on installing to and external HD, if possible. What I would like to do at that point is install SL onto my internal HD, preferably formatting that drive and starting clean. How do I go about this? Since I only have the 1 internal drive, I'd rather just run SL instead of dual booting between 10.5.8 and SL...

Aydinz
08-30-2009, 01:55 AM
well i went to the apple store only yesterday quizzing them about this and i dont know how much the guy there actually knew but he said the only way to install SL was over an existing leopard install, so if you want a fresh install what i recommend you do is install Leopard onto your external drive and then dont do any updates or anything and then just install snow leopard over that external leopard drive, doing this all via your internal 10.5.8 drive, then put in the necessary files e.g. kexts, chameleon, dsdt and whatever else you need then restart your computer and try booting from your external, if that is successful, go back into your 10.5.8 install make a .dmg image of your SL drive, then boot the install disk and do a format of your internal drive and restore the SL image you created to your internal drive, add Chameleon to it and then you should have a working SL install on your internal :) lots of steps but the only way i could think of :)