PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Installing OS X on HP Pavilion dv6609wm

PumaSpeedDrift
09-01-2009, 10:31 PM
I have been trying to install any distro of OS X on my laptop. It uses the MCP67/nForce560 chipset, for refrence.

If anyone has any ideas as to what I can do to get it to install, and *recommened* be able to see the full size of my partition for the OS please, any help will be appreciated.

Lappy Specs:
Proc: AMD 64 x2 TL-55
Chipset: MCP67 / nForce 560
HDD: 160Gb (SATA)
Video: nForce 7150m
WIFI: Broadcom 4311 8011b/g
Mem: 2.5 Gb
Audio: nForce HDA Audio
CardReader: Rioch (don't really use anyway)

If you need anything else please let me know, I also have the full list of Device ID's for the lappy too.

Thanx in advance if you have any ideas, or tips or strategies.

xXrkidXx
09-01-2009, 10:42 PM
make sure you ALWAYS select Voodoo kernel. its all AMD and P4(and -) can use.

PumaSpeedDrift
09-01-2009, 10:47 PM
make sure you ALWAYS select Voodoo kernel. its all AMD and P4(and -) can use.

If I ever get that far :D All the distros don't see my HD until I do a kext injection, then when it does, it messes things up during format (White diagonal lines on screen and sys is frozen), or my partition is shown as the wrong size (ie I have 20Gb partition showing as approx 6.5 Gb in Disk Utility)

I just wish I could, but I will definatley, do that when I get there, THANX! :D:D

yazz2020
09-02-2009, 06:24 PM
Hi. Post more info. How did you create the 20 gb partition. What other os is installed. I have a pavillion dv6 with vista, 10.5.8 and snow installed. All working well. I created 20gb partion for each osx in vista. Left it as raw. Used partedmagic disc and formatted the partitions using xfs format. Booted with osx disc (ideneb 1.4). Used disk utilty and erase disc using journal extended. Then installed selecting only basic drivers. Hope this helps. All partions show correct size.

PumaSpeedDrift
09-02-2009, 08:55 PM
Hi. Post more info. How did you create the 20 gb partition. What other os is installed. I have a pavillion dv6 with vista, 10.5.8 and snow installed. All working well. I created 20gb partion for each osx in vista. Left it as raw. Used partedmagic disc and formatted the partitions using xfs format. Booted with osx disc (ideneb 1.4). Used disk utilty and erase disc using journal extended. Then installed selecting only basic drivers. Hope this helps. All partions show correct size.

Sorry bout not posting that info, guess I should have, didn't know though.

I created the 20Gb partition using Driver Manager in Vista (Home Premium, that's pre-installed on my laptop),

Partitions on the laptop:
1.) Vista Home Premium 121 Gb ---Formatted NTFS
2.) --For OS X -- 20 Gb -- Formatted ------- Journal Extened
3.) Recovery Partition for Vista/HP laptop approx 10 Gb --- Formatted NTFS

I finally succeeded on getting the OS Disc to see my HD, and show correct size by adding my Device ID's to the info.plist of the correct set of kext's (AppleNForceATA.kext, and AppleVIAATA.kext. It finally formatted correctly too! :D

My final problem, is getting it to quit locking up during loading screen (With APPLE and pinwheel thingy)

What I selected:
Mem/CPU: (I think that's what this is for as it relates to my BUS speed) SMBIOS667
Chipset: AppleNForceATA (I also tried MCP67)
Video: NVidiaGO (internal card has 128 Mb mem)
Ethernet: NForceEthernet
Wifi: Broadcom
Audio: AppleAzalia (my sound is really MCP67 nVidia High Defination Audio.
Kernel: 9.5.0 Voodoo (didn't know which one is correct to select, but xXrkidXx recommended that I do since it's for AMD, so I did)
OtherPKGs:
Chameleon v2 as boot loader
idlehaltfix (some of the descriptions for these are very confusing ... ie "can don't select" so I didn't know)
VoodooBattery selected.

If ANY of these are wrong, or there are better ones to select please don't hesitate to make a suggestion, ANY thing to get me up and going.

I also injected those into iDeneb 10.5.7, I think it's version 1.5, I could be wrong on the version part.

xXrkidXx
09-02-2009, 09:38 PM
the less things you select the less chance you have to fail the installation. forget the Audio and wifi. you can install kexts later.

yazz2020
09-02-2009, 10:11 PM
Boot osx with -v for verbose boot. What's the last line before it freezes or stops loading. This should give you a clue of what's causing the stall. Also try and boot with cpus=1. See if it works. When you install osx only select minimum kexts. i.e. voodoo kernel for amd. Correct kexts for your mouse and keyboard. Also google for osx86 install guides for AMD CPUs. Audio, Video, network kexts can be installed later.

PumaSpeedDrift
09-02-2009, 10:11 PM
Thanx xXrkidXx, I agree, never thought of it that way though! ^_^

xXrkidXx
09-02-2009, 10:21 PM
your welcome, also do what yazz2020 said above your post, it will help ALOT.

PumaSpeedDrift
09-03-2009, 12:30 AM
Boot osx with -v for verbose boot. What's the last line before it freezes or stops loading. This should give you a clue of what's causing the stall. Also try and boot with cpus=1. See if it works. When you install osx only select minimum kexts. i.e. voodoo kernel for amd. Correct kexts for your mouse and keyboard. Also google for osx86 install guides for AMD CPUs. Audio, Video, network kexts can be installed later.

Sorry, I forgot to say thanx for your help! I appreciate it and will do! :D

PumaSpeedDrift
09-03-2009, 07:50 PM
Ok, here's what happened when I booted with -v to see what was causing it to freeze.

First, I re-installed and only selected 9.5.0 Voodoo Kernel, and MCP67 Chipset, nothing else.

Next, I then rebooted with the "-v" also tried "-v idlehalt=0" , also tried "-v cpus=1", each one resulted the same problem...

"waiting for root"

and it wouldn't go any farther. So I am taking this error as it's not finding my HDD upon re-boot after installing the OS??

If there are any suggesting as to what to do next, please say, I am open to anything to try.

BTW: You guys are awesome in your help and patience!

yazz2020
09-03-2009, 08:38 PM
Hi. Before you re installed did you reformat the partition to hfs+ journal extended? If not do that

PumaSpeedDrift
09-03-2009, 08:44 PM
Hi. Before you re installed did you reformat the partition to hfs+ journal extended? If not do that

Yea, I do that for each re-install, just to be safe.

yazz2020
09-03-2009, 08:47 PM
Try this and see if it helps
http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1119

yazz2020
09-03-2009, 08:53 PM
Also check this FAQ at osx86. Has a few solutions for "waiting for root device"
http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Technical_FAQ#Q:_When_I_try_to_install_OSx86.2C_I_ get_the_message_.22Still_waiting_for_root_device.. 22

PumaSpeedDrift
09-03-2009, 09:04 PM
Thanx yazz2020, I will definatley give that second one a try!

As for the first one, I am not sure how to do, since the kext's are all in the Extensions.mkext (which is packed of course, since I used iDeneb 10.5.7) :-)

yazz2020
09-03-2009, 09:16 PM
Cool. Keep me posted. Hope you get it working

PumaSpeedDrift
09-03-2009, 10:03 PM
Cool. Keep me posted. Hope you get it working

No Prob! :D

PumaSpeedDrift
09-04-2009, 09:07 PM
I hate to ask a stupid question at this point, but during the boot (after installation), when Chameleon shows up (Where you select which OS you want), how do I get to a command line to enter in the options I want, ( I know that pressing the down arrow key bings up the sub menu, like for -v and such), but how to get to an actual command line to enter in what you suggested "rd=diskAxB"???

--Hope I explained that correctly

xXrkidXx
09-04-2009, 09:11 PM
just type it, it will show up along the bottom, i had this same question when i was new 2 xD

PumaSpeedDrift
09-04-2009, 09:18 PM
just type it, it will show up along the bottom, i had this same question when i was new 2 xD

Thanx! , Now I feel like a first timer n00b! :D%-) LOL

xXrkidXx
09-04-2009, 09:22 PM
lmao u shouldn't... we all gotta start somehwere. i was lucky enough to have a close friend who was very good in the area so he helped me A LOT. and now I kno a ton about this. but deffently not like some of the the other people lol

PumaSpeedDrift
09-09-2009, 08:54 PM
Here's the update:

I tried different things to get past "still waiting for root device". I even tried installing to the full HDD, just to make sure that it was the only thing on there, and still a no go. :(
So I wonder, if there is something else, in some other kext that is causing a "mixup" of communications. I am not sure...

Just for reference, I used the -x -v idlehalt=0, platform=ACPI and platform=X86, -s, -f (to reload all kexts) rd=disk5s2 (yes my HDD is #5, and this is when I did a partition, and after that, on full HDD, I did rd=disk5s1 ) even set the flags as active.

I even tried a different kernel to see if that was the problem (kernel done at boot).

So if there is any thing else you guys suggest I try, I will be more than willing to give it a shot! :)
(Oh I am sorry if I sound a bit frustrated in the above lines)

Thanx!

***I have been writing everything down that I do, so at least it's all documentated, if/when I do get it up and running I can at least help others in some direction of the troubles I am going through and provide some help***

yazz2020
09-10-2009, 05:17 PM
Hey sorry to hear you still having a problem. Check this thread out. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t126095.html
has a similar laptop to yours and manged to install. I think it's to do with the chipset kexts. See if it helps.

PumaSpeedDrift
09-10-2009, 09:23 PM
Thanx for the link! That's where I got past my HDD reading problem when I first started. I just wish I could get his Extensions.mkext and try it, but it's not download-able. :(

I had a thought today, I was wondering if my boot order (as listed in BIOS) could have anything to do with it?, I think my order goes (DVD, USB, WIFI, Ethernet, HDD) or ethernet could be last, I am not sure, but do know the first 3 are those
and HDD is in there somewhere after that.

So culd this also help by changing the order? Or not really a factor?

yazz2020
09-10-2009, 09:41 PM
I doubt it but you could try changing the boot order. It's very difficult troubleshooting this issue as I have never come across it before with all the installs I have done.

PumaSpeedDrift
09-14-2009, 07:55 PM
Current Update:

I finally got rid of the "still waiting for root" error.

I realized, that the new kext's didn't copy over, so using MacDrive, I copied them over and whammo - it detects it! :)

Now I get a new error or errors depending on what I do

if I use " -f -v idlehalt=0 " at boot (in Chameleon, yes, I am using iDeneb 10.5.7 ), it does finally detect my HDD, but I get a new error this way

<quote> localhost mDNSResponder[21]: couldn't read user-specified
[two types of this]
Computer Name;
or
local hostname; using default bMacPro-001a73d8e3BAb instead;
local hostname; using default bMacPro-001A73D8E3BA instead;
</quote>

or even this error, don't know this one, some error relating to Spotlight needs recovery

Then if I thow in the " -legacy" or even an "platform=" (either ACPI, or X86PC ) I get this error:

<quote> ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin:: start - wait for Service(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagem ent)) timed out
</quote>

What suggestions do you have? or what can I do to continue on from here??

Thanx in advance! :)

PumaSpeedDrift
09-16-2009, 12:12 AM
Anyone wanna try to help here? Please??

I am getting closer, any suggestions??

PumaSpeedDrift
09-21-2009, 09:09 PM
New update:

OS X Server instlalls/run perfect, with exception to NO DVD, Sound, or updates. So far this is the only one I can get running, but what good is an OS if DVD don't work

so I decided to give another head shot to the other distros. Anyone have any info that might be of use, please suggest, willing to try anything!!

abhiyenta
09-25-2009, 06:24 PM
HI,
Can you tell me what you did to get your hard drive recognize by mac osx installer,you told you have done some kext injection ,I am completely new bee to this field and know nothing about it.......plz tell me how did you do that.?

PumaSpeedDrift
09-28-2009, 02:33 AM
Hey there,

Sure! Though as far as I know, you need an existing OS X system running already. I am not sure how to inject them in windows, unless you have a Virtual machine running OS X.

But here is the link that I followed, as I already had a tower that had iDeneb already installed, so I was able to do this.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=67713&pid=597969&mode=threaded&start=

New Update:
I am currently running iDeneb 10.5.7:
Audio: Works
Built-In keyboard: works
USB: works
DVD (read and write): Works
Mounting of dmg, iso's and other files: works.
Graphics: still gotta figure out how to change resolution, but does work! :)
QuickPlay Volume buttons: Works
WiFi : Works out of box! (didn't install a driver for it and it works perfect).
Lan: have not had a chance to check yet.

macky_reddy
10-01-2009, 01:31 PM
Hey there,

Sure! Though as far as I know, you need an existing OS X system running already. I am not sure how to inject them in windows, unless you have a Virtual machine running OS X.

But here is the link that I followed, as I already had a tower that had iDeneb already installed, so I was able to do this.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=67713&pid=597969&mode=threaded&start=

New Update:
I am currently running iDeneb 10.5.7:
Audio: Works
Built-In keyboard: works
USB: works
DVD (read and write): Works
Mounting of dmg, iso's and other files: works.
Graphics: still gotta figure out how to change resolution, but does work! :)
QuickPlay Volume buttons: Works
WiFi : Works out of box! (didn't install a driver for it and it works perfect).
Lan: have not had a chance to check yet.

Well how u got quick play button working ? well nforce ethernet lan works i have checked it, even i want to know how to use those efi strings to get to 1280x800 native resolution. But as i said everything works with the use of IDLEHALT=0 i dont know how to start my leo kitty without the use of this boot command. Just because of idlehalt=0 am worried to experiment on my lappy with leo due to always on fan which generates extreme heat.

Guys is there any option to start leo without idlehalt=0, but when i tried to boot leo without these boot commands it sticks at apple screen logo, do u think an external HDD could help me out

PumaSpeedDrift
10-02-2009, 10:01 PM
Well how u got quick play button working ? well nforce ethernet lan works i have checked it, even i want to know how to use those efi strings to get to 1280x800 native resolution. But as i said everything works with the use of IDLEHALT=0 i dont know how to start my leo kitty without the use of this boot command. Just because of idlehalt=0 am worried to experiment on my lappy with leo due to always on fan which generates extreme heat.

Guys is there any option to start leo without idlehalt=0, but when i tried to boot leo without these boot commands it sticks at apple screen logo, do u think an external HDD could help me out

I checked my fan, and it does kick on and off, and no extra heat (other than normal) is generated. since I do use the "idlehalt=0" kernel flag as well.

As for quick play buttons - must be the distro, or kext, or driver that is installed, btw I am using iDeneb 10.5.7

Resolution: still working...getting closer (I modified some kext's this morning, and lo and behold, it played the movie, and talked during first install - the only problem is I could not see the movie, but only hear it, my screen just sat there at the verbose screen, like refresh didn't kick in or something...but, at least I am getting closer, <keeping fingers crossed>

As for an external HDD, don't think that's gonna really change the fan running, since the system will still run off your processor and everything else, except internal HDD. So I am no for sure, but this would be my logical opinion to that type of situation.

PumaSpeedDrift
10-15-2009, 11:06 PM
nVidia Geforce 7150M a no go, maybe someone will get somewhere or come up with a solution..we can only hope.

xXrkidXx
10-15-2009, 11:15 PM
normally for the music buttons(on the keypad) its thanks to a PS/2 kext... when I used my USB keyboard i didnt have buttons... but with my PS/2 and a kext, i get multimedia controlls.

italianstallion
11-25-2009, 09:45 PM
I have been trying to install any distro of OS X on my laptop. It uses the MCP67/nForce560 chipset, for refrence.

If anyone has any ideas as to what I can do to get it to install, and *recommened* be able to see the full size of my partition for the OS please, any help will be appreciated.

Lappy Specs:
Proc: AMD 64 x2 TL-55
Chipset: MCP67 / nForce 560
HDD: 160Gb (SATA)
Video: nForce 7150m
WIFI: Broadcom 4311 8011b/g
Mem: 2.5 Gb
Audio: nForce HDA Audio
CardReader: Rioch (don't really use anyway)

If you need anything else please let me know, I also have the full list of Device ID's for the lappy too.

Thanx in advance if you have any ideas, or tips or strategies.
I have a dv9610us with the same exact chipset. After going through a stack of 100 DVD R's i finally got one to install to and boot from the nforce hdd. It only shows the first 128gb of the hdd at install only but after it is installed and booted it will show full partitions. You will need TransMac (google it) a blank disc (and a burner obviously) Leo4Allv4.1 (Leo4AMD) and the 2nd mkext download link on this page--> http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=123364&st=120&p=887446&#entry887446
This link also contains the instructions. The audio does work but you have to put the kext for it in AFTER installation. As of now it only supports 1024 X 768 resolution but im working on a fix. Good Luck! http://www.infinitemac.com/images/icons/icon10.png

roninger
01-07-2010, 12:38 AM
Hii all!
I have install Mac os x snow leopard 10.6.2 by Hazard, but if i wants start i have KP
I think I have wrong kext
this is specification of my computer :
HP Pavilion dv6700
CPU: Mobile Intel Core 2 Duo T8100 2,1Ghz(MMX,SSE,SSE2,SSE3,SSSE3,SSE4.1)
Motherboard:Northbridge: Intel Crestline-PM PM965
Southbridge: Intel 82801HBM ICH8-DO
HDD:SATA 2
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS (265MB)
WLAN: Intel(R) PRO\Wireless ABG3945
Sound: ALC268
Bios: Phoenix F.52
Can someone tell me what kext I need to install?
I apologize for my spelling, I'm from poland :)

fobe
01-16-2010, 10:32 PM
Hi, I got almost the same spec as above only an ATI Mobility 4530 Video and a Intel WiFi 1000.
For the last 2,5 weeks I'm trying to run OS X 10.6.2 Intel/AMD from Hazerd (with the final patch) on my HP DV 7-2206ed.
I got almost everything working except the CPU :'(
I MUST set in de kernel boot flag cpus=1 or otherwise I get a KP.
The lappy has a InsydeH2O v3.5 BIOS where I can't change ANYTHING :mad: (just time & date).
I found out that when I don't use the cpus=1 the KP is happening at the moment that ACPI: System State (S3) is set.
I tried several distro's, boot flags, DSDT-patches (with a lot of warnings) etc. etc.
Hopefully someone can help me to solve this annoying issue.

CPU:Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T660/2,2 GHz , Level 2 cache 2 MB