PDA

View Full Version : SMB Share Issues + NTFS Write Support - 10.6 (64 Bit)

bzen
09-12-2009, 07:07 PM
SMB ISSUES
Have problems with accessing SMB share on NAS in snow leopard. This seems to be well documented problem across the net.
Appears that there are 2 Problem:
1) Authentication with SMB - only works with numeric only passwords (this sucks)
2) Even after Authenticating with numeric pwd only still read-only, no write
3) Have tried share with no passwords and same issue
Error is Dreaded Error -36
The Finder cannot complete the operation because some of the data in smb://........ could not be read or written. (Error code -36).
No problems in Leopard what so ever on both other actual Mac's that I have running 10.5.8 of leopard. I am using NexStar LX Enlclosure NST-375LX-BK
Anyone have working solution for SMB Write Support for 10.6 with 64 bit kernel?

NTFS ISSUES
NTFS-3G (4.4) + MacFuse (2.1.5 (Beta)). This does not work in 64 bit kernel and wont be able to uninstall. So had to revert back to CCC Clone before install. Paragon is only 32 bit and beta at 7-02, so no luck there. Anyone have working solution for NTFS Write Support for 10.6 with 64 bit kernel?

Workarounds (TEMP)
- My NAS has FTP so am using filezilla as FTP client

Other Attempts to fix that did not work
- update to 10.6.1 did not fix
- Tried editting smb.conf in /etc and adding in fixes suggested on net such as
veto files = /.DS_Store/ encrypt passwords = no - Tried editting nsmb.conf in /etc and adding in fixes suggested on net such as
[default]
minauth=none

thorazine74
09-13-2009, 07:24 AM
It looks like snow has built in support for ntfs writes but its not enabled by default, not sure why, maybe apple's driver is not safe enough.

Snow
09-13-2009, 07:26 AM
Just found this, will try later:

I am sure many of you heard that Snow Leopard was supposed to have native read/write for NTFS partitions. Apple supported NTFS R/W in older SL builds but I guess decided to not to go with it for some reason, however support is still present.
For this, you need to modify your /etc/fstab file to mount NTFS partitions for read and write.

First, uninstall NTFS-3G/Paragon if installed.
Open Terminal.app (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal)
Type "diskutil info /Volumes/volume_name" and copy the Volume UUID (bunch of numbers).
Backup /etc/fstab if you have it, shouldn't be there in a default install.
Type "sudo nano /etc/fstab".
Type in "UUID=paste_the_uuid_here none ntfs rw".
Repeat for other NTFS partitions.
Save the file and restart your system.

After reboot, NTFS partitions should natively have read and write support. This works in both 32 and 64-bit kernels. Support is quite good and fast, it even recognizes file attributes such as hidden files.

Update: Doesn't seem to be working :/ I'll try a few things before giving up on this though.

mormegil
09-13-2009, 11:17 AM
sweet! it works for me.

thanks for the tip man!

Snow
09-13-2009, 03:24 PM
Got it, my fstab file was named fstab.hd. I removed it and created a new one with terminal and working now.

thorazine74
09-16-2009, 09:44 AM
Any clue why its disabled by default? I hope its stable enough for daily use...

Snow
09-17-2009, 07:14 AM
Well I removed the support again because I was getting odd behavior from my Windows drives (like not showing any files at all)
I'm going for the macdrive method for the moment.