PDA

View Full Version : What's the Point?

xXrkidXx
09-23-2009, 02:06 AM
Im just wondering.. What's the point of using 64 bit... I understand that you are able to use more RAM(I think) but I mean, what are the other benefits from just running in 32 bit mode?

x986123
09-23-2009, 02:52 AM
Faster performance because it uses more CPU Registers. More "Bandwidth" for ram, and many more.

MikeHunt79
09-23-2009, 03:08 AM
so is Xbench higher in 64bit mode? I find that hard to believe...

x986123
09-23-2009, 03:54 AM
It is actually. So is Geekbench.

thorazine74
09-23-2009, 08:40 AM
You cant just judge the performance by low level benchmarks like Xbench.
In my opinion most current apps that are 32 bits only will see no benefit from running in 64 bits, I dont know if there are many other 64 bit apps nowadays apart from Apple's Finder, QuickTimeX and the such... Of course that will change in the (near) future.
Keep in mind Leopard's kernel is a PAE kernel already that can address more than 4 Gb of RAM.

Taisto
09-23-2009, 09:49 AM
As Thorazine said. Also, 64Bits means that all math operations are done almost twice as fast. If system is 64B and all apps are 64B - You will see an increase in performance using those apps. Don't measure it with benchmarks - they're very often all wrong. In Snow Leopard almost every essential system app is 64B now, including Finder, Mail, Safari, Preview, QuickTime etc. i guess only iTunes and few others are still 32B - what's actually strange cause if i remember well - there is 64B version of iTunes for Windows.

Gurruwiwi
09-23-2009, 12:17 PM
Ah, yes, everything true here, but as of right now, not the future, there is no big deal about 64bit.

The thing is, even in "32bit", SL runs many base system functions in 64bit. The "top" layer is then derived to 32 or 64, and this is due basically to coding.
So, in essence, and in broad general terms, a 32 bit app (even with "SL support") will always "cap" out it maximum performance beneath a layer of 64.
Even today's 64bit apps, you will not see a performance increase, like Safari or iTunes whatever.

Now, when big productivity suits appear, like Photoshop, Protools, 3d modeeling apps and achitecture rendering stuff... or games! damn I am waiting for theses to star showing up !! haha... anyways, yeah these guys will be able to harness the trues power of 64bit, be it in CPU math, RAM requirement and pushing bottlenecks in your system.

Add to this Grand Central, and surely you will feels a new era of home computing.
I've been running 32 and 64, for instance Fusion only runs if I boot 32bit, and the OS is so responsive anyways, I don't feel any difference at all in any app whatsoever. Click on anything and before my eyes get to screen center, its there already. Absolutely amazing. But, having this said, I dont understand WHY Apple is making almost its entire line to boot in 32bit, except servers and I think the big quads. Surely for compatibility reasons, but the way its going, in no time at all 32 bit will seem prehistoric.

Personally, I can hardly wait to be able to have 8Gb ram filled with drum samples ^_^

xXrkidXx
09-23-2009, 12:19 PM
ive heard abouyt people being able to use 64 bit, With my specs(which are crap anyways) should I try to use 64 bit? or just be happy it works...

Gurruwiwi
09-23-2009, 12:50 PM
I'd say go for it, as long as you can get gfx working QE/Ci.

Made my machine feel like I had upgraded ram and cpu ! Its so snappy, its ridiculous. But I dont think its possible on a P4 without vooderized kernels... I really dont know... Isnt the minimum official specs at least a dual core?

Taisto
09-23-2009, 01:51 PM
Personally, I can hardly wait to be able to have 8Gb ram filled with drum samples ^_^

Im using mostly generators rather than sample libraries, but for drums and few other categories that would be pretty cool =)

thorazine74
09-23-2009, 08:46 PM
ive heard abouyt people being able to use 64 bit, With my specs(which are crap anyways) should I try to use 64 bit? or just be happy it works...

You need a 64 bits cpu to run a 64 bits kernel, I think Intel Core 2 are the minimum.

Gurruwiwi
09-23-2009, 09:49 PM
hehe... Well yeah, TR808, lynn's and the sort are much funner to program, but i couldnt Live without a natural sounding gretch or sonor in a proper room, mics etc. Even if i tried i would be able to load up 8gb of electronic beats. 127 layers per piece of multisampled acoustic drumkits and cymbals, hi hats etc... Even 8gb is tight, but my mobo...

InteliMacPro
09-24-2009, 12:19 AM
I'd say go for it, as long as you can get gfx working QE/Ci.

Made my machine feel like I had upgraded ram and cpu ! Its so snappy, its ridiculous. But I dont think its possible on a P4 without vooderized kernels... I really dont know... Isnt the minimum official specs at least a dual core?

I agree. Installing SL made a noticeable difference, then 64bit was noticeable to me as well. Apple apps launch literally in less than one bounce. I think you need to patent that word "vooderized" btw. Classic.

xXrkidXx
09-24-2009, 12:27 AM
Haha oh well :P P4 isnt supported, eh fine ill try it ion 32BIt, im sure Ill love it.

vladrxpx
09-24-2009, 06:48 PM
noobish question here.. I've sort of made it in using 64bit SL, but most of my apps were installed while I was using 32bit SL.
And now, I've got Adobe apps saying they have no support for 64bit :

Adobe Illustrator CS4:

Version: 367
Last Modified: 9/4/09 9:13 PM
Kind: Universal
64-Bit (Intel): No
Get Info String: 14.0.0, Copyright © 1987-2008 Adobe Systems Inc. All rights reserved.
Location: /Applications/Adobe Illustrator CS4/Adobe Illustrator.app

So, does this mean I have to reinstall all these apps so I could have 64bit support, or the whole thing doesn't matter weather the apps have 32bit or 64bit support?

thorazine74
09-24-2009, 07:37 PM
Reinstalling them will not change anything, Adobe would have release new versions (i.e. CS5) with 64 bits binaries.