PDA

View Full Version : How to Get Extensions to load without -f

gaz919
02-21-2008, 10:32 AM
Here's my issue, The install is perfect efi on guid after marvin everthing works including toast and timemachine.

My only problem is , if I start with -f all my extention drivers load and everthing is dectected properly, but if I don't load with -f then my usb wireless doesn't detect. I can see in -v mode that when the extension isn't loaded at startup with -f then quite a few of my drivers don't load.

My question is is there a way to set the full extentions list to load after it is all working.

Ive tried deleting the cache folder in extensions and deleting the extensions.mkext file

have also used kextcache -a i386 -K /mach_kernel -m /System/Library/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

but all in all the extensions just rebuild without the usbwireless driver and others.

so I either have to boot with -f or unplug and plug in the usbwireless.

I just want to get it set and boot with no flags and have it all work.

Anyone with any ideas the are appreciated
thanks

eddie11c
02-21-2008, 10:36 AM
Try this, load up into Leopard. Open terminal:
sudo -s
## password
kextload /system/library/extensions/*

As soon as its done browse over and delete the Extensions.mkext and reboot.

gaz919
02-21-2008, 10:52 AM
It was a good try but it still didn't work

This is in the list after kextload alot of things have problems in the list this is the usbwifi kext bit
kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/RT73USBWirelessDriver.kext has problems:

kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/SCR24X_Apple_Driver.kext has problems:
Warnings:
{
"Kext has no explicit kernel dependency" = true
}

It seemed to load in the boot but it sill had no device after boot.

eddie11c
02-21-2008, 10:53 AM
It is most likely a bug in the driver then, as it is loading into memory at startup.

gaz919
02-21-2008, 10:54 AM
but it works fine if i unplug it and plug it back in just won't work on boot without -f

I'll try again but I can't seem to get it to work.

Thanks for any more ideas

gaz919
02-21-2008, 10:55 AM
if its a bug in the driver why does it work fine with -f ??

gaz919
02-21-2008, 11:04 AM
No still doesn't load in the list in -v mode , its really just that driver that doesn't load that is important.

The boot time for a normal load say -v is about a minute shorter than if i have to use -f

Thanks for anymore ideas you may have, for now ill keep using -f

Good Luck