PDA

View Full Version : G31M-E2SL retail w/ Lifehacker (no hacking requireD) guide... no terminal work

wussyib
09-25-2009, 10:58 PM
Hey. My first post. I know this motherboard has been covered by the current excellent guide stickied using a retail DVD, but i thought I could maybe simplify the process even more building on the Life Hacker Snow Leopard hackintosh guide (no hacking required). Let me preface by saying this isn't much of a guide because it's so stinking easy. It's just a compilation of current SL methods.

For whatever reason, it took me awhile to piece together a working process using the Life Hacker guide, mostly because it's not using a G31M and there's several audio solutions out there. I literally reinstalled SL about 10 times before finding the shortest point from A to Z. Even though this motherboard is well documented, merging the Lifehacker guide with the G31m doesn't seem as well documented as I would assume, since it's currently the easiest SL-hackintosh process.

Essentially, with this motherboard (speaking for v.1.x), you can use this guide EXACTLY.

http://lifehacker.com/5360150/install-snow-leopard-on-your-hackintosh-pc-no-hacking-required

After you have a working SL install on your hard drive, and you've run the "EP45UD3P Snow Leopard.pkg" to your boot drive, the only thing that isn't working is sound.

You can install 2 kexts (fakesmc and legacyalc883) and drag and drop this DSDT.aml into your extra's folder, reboot, select "internal speakers" from sound preferences, and you're good to go.

Just install kextutility (included in this post), and drag and drop the 2 kexts to it.

That's it. Pretty much fully working G31m-E2SL with barely a few clicks and a couple drag-n-drops and no terminal work whatsoever.

I included the sleep fix, because in one of my installs I encountered an anomaly where it would not wake up from sleep. The attached combination of kexts seemed to do the trick. However, upon reinstalling again, sleep is working fine without these kexts. The sleep application in the previos G31M retail DVD guide is designed for issues with GOING to sleep, not waking up FROM.

Everything is 100% working (at least what I use). I don't use Bonjour, so I can't speak for that. Also, make sure you use NON case sensitive volume formatting (Lifehacker initially said to use case sensitive) because Adobe CS4 will wig out if you don't.

Being my first post, I want to thank the OSX86 community on this site as well as all the other mac sites. The resources provided are invaluable, and it's amazing how many people put in their free hours to help complete strangers.

Hardware
-----------------
Gigabyte G31M-E2SL V1.X
Nvidia GTS-250 1GB
4GB (2x2gb) DDR2
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
2 x 500Gb Western Digital SATA's "Green"
SATA DVD-RW
Dual booting OSX SL 10.6.1 and Windows 7 RTM

rajesheber
09-26-2009, 08:28 PM
Hi wussyib ,
Thanx for the guide.I could install the entire stuff including sound. I have a problem with the graphics card. Its not detecting the card name nor the amount of Video RAM. I have a XFX Geforce Nvidia 8800GT (256MB). Kindly help

excelon
09-27-2009, 10:25 PM
I have been looking for about 2 days now for a solution to my sound issue. Your post fixed it in about 45 seconds! Thank you so much. As soon as I put your kexts into my /extra/extensions folder, ran the kext util and rebooted. All I did then was choose the internal speakers and that was it!

Now my last hope is to get the video to detect right. It is working perfectly with only 512mb detected, but its an Asus 9500GT w/1GB ram and HDMI/VGA/DVI outputs. (gets a rating of 190 w/Xbench) All 3 outputs do work but I can only use the HDMI when I have a 2nd monitor connected as well. Any last bit of help would be appreciated. Thank you AGAIN for your kickass guide!

rajesheber
09-28-2009, 12:12 AM
Hi,
I would like to know how to make automatic sleep work without using other apps like please sleep.kindly help

section16
01-03-2010, 01:01 AM
I got as far as setting the BIOS and went to install SL, The computer hangs up on Verifying DMI Pool Data. The USB drive shows up as the startup device.

G31M-E2SL, it was working with unbuntu 9.10 prior to this attempt.

lflashl
01-03-2010, 05:37 AM
This has to be the best guide
http://www.infinitemac.com/f57/guide-retail-snow-leopard-dvd-install-for-g31m-t3672/
has everything, and works!!!

sapam
01-14-2010, 03:44 PM
Thanks for posting this "guide." After some trial and error, I got a SL install working on my rig (see signature below). But even though I have a rev 1.1 board, the LAN port is not working. Is there a specific fix for this, or should I just pay $15 for a PCI ethernet card?

sapam
01-19-2010, 03:15 AM
I've been switching between this and the sk1nhd33t method trying to get a working SL install for my rig (see signature). This install gives me working video with QE/CI and LAN (with a PCI card). But updating to 10.6.2 kills the install and sleep doesn't seem to work for me even with the fix. Any ideas?