PDA

View Full Version : SL KP every time i try to use a new Kext

oochr1soo
09-27-2009, 02:31 AM
I can get SL to boot no problems if i dont add any Kexts other than those that are recommended. If i try to add one for video or JMicronATA or anything i get KP with the following:

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPower Management) timed out.

I cant for the life of me figure out what is causing this... Am i missing something?

- I can get sound via VoodooHDA
- No DVD Drive
- No Ethernet (BCM5751)
- No Video (Nvidia Quadro NVS 285)

I'm on a Dell Precision 390 system..

ANy help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

ariadri
09-27-2009, 03:27 AM
do you get this right after you add the kext?
or when you try to repair permission?

oochr1soo
09-27-2009, 02:28 PM
ill add the kext in my leopard install and then when i reboot i get the KP..

x986123
09-27-2009, 04:20 PM
That doesn't look like a KP message. A lot of people get that. Can you take a picture of the KP?

ariadri
09-27-2009, 05:13 PM
I don't know how you installed your kexts but I've noticed the majority of people get kp after installing kexts is because
1. not compatible
2. used wrong terminal commands
3. did not repair permissions using disk utilty

try this
use kexthelper application to install your kext
repair using disk utility
then reboot

oochr1soo
09-27-2009, 11:19 PM
That doesn't look like a KP message. A lot of people get that. Can you take a picture of the KP?

that;s what strange to me.. is i see this even when it boots normally but i cant seem to see any errors when it hangs there

thorazine74
09-28-2009, 09:09 AM
Maybe you should explain in detail what kexts you are installing and how.
That message you have is normal for anyone using Disabler or NullCPUPowerManagement kexts.

oochr1soo
09-28-2009, 01:32 PM
I've installed the following Kexts

Preboot (Followed How to Install SL on PC Sticky in Forum Method):

fakesmc.kext
NullCPUPowerMangement.kext
OpenHaltRestart.kext
PlatformUUID.kext
IOATAFamily.kext

After Booting First time, Installed:

VoodooHDA.kext with KextHelper b7

When i run into problems is now when i try to install another kext, when i reboot i get KP.. I also use KextHelper b7. For example, i tried to add Natit.kext and get KP.

Chris

thorazine74
09-28-2009, 01:38 PM
If VoodooHDA worked the problem should not be the method but the kexts. (Extensions.mkext location changed with SL, I assume KextHelper can cope with that)
Do you know for sure those kexts are recompiled for Leopard?
Also try booting with the kernel in 32 bits instead (-x32 or arch=i386) to see if the kexts dont support 64 bits.

oochr1soo
09-28-2009, 10:06 PM
im pretty sure since they were from other SL tutorial installs..

if it is the kext, any recommendations for getting a Quadro NVS 285 working?

Thanks
Chris

thorazine74
09-29-2009, 08:31 AM
I dont have that hardware so I wouldnt know what to recommend. I was under the impression that all graphics injectors like natit dont work for Snow, maybe you should try using a EFI String if it works for Quadros...
Also try booting the kernel in 32 bits, there is a better chance of an old kext working with Snow,

thorazine74
09-29-2009, 08:32 AM
I dont have that hardware so I wouldnt know what to recommend. I was under the impression that all graphics injectors like natit dont work for Snow, maybe you should try using a EFI String if it works for Quadros...
Also try booting the kernel in 32 bits, there is a better chance of an old kext working with Snow,