PDA

View Full Version : Rampage II Gene Snow Leopard: Can't Restart After Sleep

jdc1001
10-01-2009, 07:43 PM
I've got 10.6.1 up and running pretty well on this board. Great performance, and it seems largely compatible. Everything seems to be working with the exception of a strange interaction between sleep and restart. The system will shutdown / restart fine unless it gets put into S3 sleep (sleep works fine otherwise). After sleep, shutdown and restart will both fail with the system just hanging until I hit the power button. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Here's my config:

General

Chameleon 2 RC 3
PC EFI 10.3
Fake SMC V2
Using IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext to avoid the orange drive icons
Installed by restoring an SL disk image to a thumb drive, installing Chameleon, etc.

Contents of /EFI/Extra/Extensions:

AD2000b.kext
OpenHaltRestart.kext
Disabler.kext
PlatformUUID.kext
IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext
fakesmc.kext

Patched DSDT with the following (attached (http://www.infinitemac.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=750&stc=1&d=1254422581)):

Remove processor aliases
The KiNG's fix for the IRQ conflict causing slow SATA performance (http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=564)
Added an HDEF section (http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=465)

com.apple.Boot.plist:

<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>arch=i386 -pci0</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>2048x1152x32</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>3</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>y</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>y</string></dict>
</plist>
smbios.plistt:

<key>SMbiosvendor</key>
<string>Apple Computer, Inc.</string>
<key>SMbiosversion</key>
<string>RMPGII904</string>
<key>SMbiosdate</key>
<string>6/29/2009</string>
<key>SMboardmanufacter</key>
<string>Asus</string>
<key>SMboardproduct</key>
<string>Rampage II Gene/string>
<key>SMfamily</key>
<string>MacPro</string>
<key>SMmanufacter</key>
<string>Apple Computer, Inc.</string>
<key>SMmemmanufacter</key>
<string>OCZ Technology </string>
<key>SMmempart</key>
<string>Gold XTC DDR3-1600/string>
<key>SMmemserial</key>
<string>00FF0000</string>
<key>SMmemspeed</key>
<string>1600</string>
<key>SMmemtype</key>
<string>24</string>
<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>MacPro3,1</string>
<key>SMserial</key>
<string>W88033AKY51</string>
<key>SMsystemversion</key>
<string>1.0</string>

kpkp
10-01-2009, 08:43 PM
Its a common issue, i have it too since the first releases of Leopard, but just with the restart, shutdown works fine... found no solution yet

ASUS P5K-E wifi

xXrkidXx
10-01-2009, 09:18 PM
maybe OpenHaltRestart?

jdc1001
10-01-2009, 10:15 PM
Its a common issue, i have it too since the first releases of Leopard, but just with the restart, shutdown works fine... found no solution yet

ASUS P5K-E wifi

Yup, I've seen a few other posts with people having the same issue. Is it specific to Asus boards? It didn't seem to happen when I was running a GA-G31M-E2SL.

scififan68
10-01-2009, 11:01 PM
This happens on my Dell Mini 10v as well, so it's not just asus boards.

jdc1001
10-01-2009, 11:09 PM
maybe OpenHaltRestart?

I've tried it both with and without O/H/R and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

scififan68
10-01-2009, 11:16 PM
http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/general-mac-os-x-discussion/6724-workaround-no-restart-after-sleep-resolved-3.html Should work for you too.

jdc1001
10-01-2009, 11:55 PM
http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/general-mac-os-x-discussion/6724-workaround-no-restart-after-sleep-resolved-3.html Should work for you too.

Interesting. I tried changing my USB configuration to legacy off, legacy on or auto, and it still didn't make restarts work after sleep. Thanks anyway...

dstarr
10-05-2009, 04:11 PM
Hi there,

It's great to see someone else using OS X on the GENE. I'm using your DSDT (above) with the same motherboard, only in Leopard 10.5.7, and I still haven't managed to get sound working. Could you perhaps link the kext you're using? Or do you have any other insights?

jdc1001
10-06-2009, 01:38 AM
Hi there,

It's great to see someone else using OS X on the GENE. I'm using your DSDT (above) with the same motherboard, only in Leopard 10.5.7, and I still haven't managed to get sound working. Could you perhaps link the kext you're using? Or do you have any other insights?

Sure, the kext I use for audio is AD2000b.kext (attached). More info is available in this thread. (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=154652) If you're using my DSDT, you won't need the HDAEnabler.kext, just install AD2000b.kext in /System/Library/Extensions/ with something like Kext Utility. (mine is loading fine off of my EFI partition's /Extra/Extensions).

If you end up building your own DSDT, add an HDEF section similar to what's in mine like so:

Device (HDEF)
{
Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
{
Store (Package (0x04)
{
"layout-id",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
},

"PinConfigurations",
Buffer (Zero) {}

}, Local0)
DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
Return (Local0)
}
}

This is what makes using HDAEnabler.kext unnecessary. More info in this thread (http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=465)if you're interested.

Question - Are you having the same problem with not being able to restart or shutdown after sleep that I am?

dstarr
10-06-2009, 03:35 PM
Hi again. Thanks so much for your work on the AD2000B with this board! I followed your directions and finally have sound working. Although I haven't tested recording or any other I/O. I'm using the non-HDAEnabler method with your DSDT.

I also tested your scenario and get the same results; shutdown/restart/sleep all work except when shutting down or restarting after sleep. On my system it looked like all processes exited fine but then it just "hang" at a black screen with the case/cpu/gpu fans still idling.

I'm willing to test any other ideas... This sleep/restart issue is a hassle but frankly right now I'm just happy to have the rest of it working :) Once again I'm on 10.5 not 10.6 yet.

blassox
10-17-2009, 04:22 PM
One question: Are you started from a scratch SL install or from Leopard? I'm start playing now with this incredible board and I need some little help: have you used The Script fo x58 boards?
Thanks in advance.

richog007
10-21-2009, 04:03 AM
i too would like to know your method of installing it onto the gene, as im having issues installing leopard so i can make some files to even start installing snow, as i dont have access to a mac to make anything.

im curious how you installed snow as well like what settings were used for the bios and if you used a leopard install what distro did you use, as ive so far tried iatkos v7 and it just hangs at the apple boot logo, and does nothing,

if possible maybe a link to a full iso thats ready to install on my gene?

id like to just even be able to boot to desktop, and id be happy

jdc1001
10-21-2009, 02:24 PM
i too would like to know your method of installing it onto the gene, as im having issues installing leopard so i can make some files to even start installing snow, as i dont have access to a mac to make anything.

im curious how you installed snow as well like what settings were used for the bios and if you used a leopard install what distro did you use, as ive so far tried iatkos v7 and it just hangs at the apple boot logo, and does nothing,

if possible maybe a link to a full iso thats ready to install on my gene?

id like to just even be able to boot to desktop, and id be happy

I'm working on a retail install guide for the Gene. I'll post it up here as soon as I get a chance.

jdc1001
10-21-2009, 02:26 PM
One question: Are you started from a scratch SL install or from Leopard? I'm start playing now with this incredible board and I need some little help: have you used The Script fo x58 boards?
Thanks in advance.

I started from scratch (although I do have a MacBook which I used to format the USB drive and write the image of the retail DVD to it, install Chameleon, etc.). There appear to be some really well-regarded scripts for the X58 boards available, but I have yet to try them.

jdc1001
10-21-2009, 02:30 PM
Hi again. Thanks so much for your work on the AD2000B with this board! I followed your directions and finally have sound working. Although I haven't tested recording or any other I/O. I'm using the non-HDAEnabler method with your DSDT.

I also tested your scenario and get the same results; shutdown/restart/sleep all work except when shutting down or restarting after sleep. On my system it looked like all processes exited fine but then it just "hang" at a black screen with the case/cpu/gpu fans still idling.

I'm willing to test any other ideas... This sleep/restart issue is a hassle but frankly right now I'm just happy to have the rest of it working :) Once again I'm on 10.5 not 10.6 yet.

Sure, my pleasure, although the credit for getting sound working via AD2000B really lies with others. (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=154652&st=40#) I still haven't had any luck in getting restart to work after sleep, but I'm still working on it :).

richog007
10-21-2009, 07:04 PM
I'm working on a retail install guide for the Gene. I'll post it up here as soon as I get a chance.

k cool looking forward to it, i guess ill need to borrow my cousins mac to get sl on my gene because installing iatkos v7 isnt working for me itll just hang there at the apple grey screen

did you also update your bios to 0904? or did you get yours that way, because im still on the original 0404 bios, do you think ill need to update it?

blassox
10-21-2009, 11:56 PM

Many thanks for the reply and for time you spend on guide making.
This weekend I'll work on the gene and I'll post here my experiences.
Thanks again

dstarr
10-22-2009, 04:16 PM
Hi guys just chiming in... I upgraded SL from a vanilla Leo install. I cheated though, booting and installing it with a USB>SATA adapter in my Macbook. I also used digital dreamers X58 mobo script for Leo and the kexts/dsdt on this thread for SL. Also I'm using the 0904 BIOS and getting like 11000+ points in Geekbench 64 when OC'd to 3.4 GHz :)

blassox
10-24-2009, 11:28 AM
Hi... I'm still trying to install SL from a SATA>USB restored DVD partition from about 12 hours... I need some help, guys... just to make a step forward...
My situation:
1) Rampage II gene 0904 -> AHCI -> JMicron disabled
2) Restored a partition on USB disk with SL DVD -> installed Chameleon 2 RC3 on it -> replaced boot with PCEFI 10.5 -> added kexts and dsdt.aml from this 3d in Extra
3) Start booting from USB and everything works until the gray screen with mouse cursor..

I've tryed with -v -x32 but the only failed action was AppleSMBusPCI

Thanks everyone...

blassox
10-24-2009, 02:56 PM
Couple of hours more on it and now it works!!!
I've used a great guide from sk1nhd33t about installing SL on GA-G31M-ES2L.

http://www.infinitemac.com/f57/guide-retail-snow-leopard-dvd-install-for-g31m-t3672/

I'm fine tuning it but same problems of you about restarting/shutting down after sleep (with NullCPUPowerManagement and SleepEnabler)

dstarr
10-24-2009, 06:26 PM
TBH I never had any success with USB drive booting SL on the gene. I tried pretty much the same steps and it would always hang for me also. In my experience SL installer needs to be run from inside target Leopard environment, although posts in this forum seem to suggest otherwise. I've also been saving a draft guide in my blog for this rig, will try to publish it soon.

blassox
10-27-2009, 03:41 PM
Posted a little and simple guide to install SL on osx86 wiki HCL::
http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.6.1#Asus

richog007
10-27-2009, 06:28 PM
sweet thanks for the post on the wiki, it helped alot, finally got it running.

blassox
11-01-2009, 11:54 AM
Some news:
- NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
- OpenHaltRestart.kext
- Sleepenabler.kext
I've installed an hardware monitor application and the system run smooth at 3.4ghz with cpu max temp 66 degrees when in full load. In this condition the only thing doesn't work is the wake up after sleep (one time works and one not)
Without the three kexts up all works fine but the max temp in load is over 80 degrees... and the system low down its frequency (drop down performance)
Is there a way to solve my stop problem? I can't image to restart and shutdown the system every time I need it...

krofa
11-16-2009, 04:12 AM
When I was outfitting my MBP with an optical bay SSD, I had to disable hibernation. Otherwise, my system wouldn't wake properly and I would have to do a hard shut down and reboot. After executing "sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0" in the terminal, this stopped happening. This kills hibernation, something I very rarely need and can work around.

I don't know if these kinds of settings are taken for granted in the OSx86 community but I am yet to see that anywhere. I'm sure it has been tried and tested, but I just though it may help if otherwise.

My 2¢...

krofa.

p.s. I am also shopping for a mobo and came accross this post when I was searching for the Rampage II Gene...

jdc1001
11-21-2009, 11:47 PM
I managed to upgrade my Gene setup to 10.6.2 without any problems via the instructions on Netkas's site. (http://netkas.org/?p=315) I just replaced my version of SleepEnabler.kext I was using with the one he posted. I upgraded to FakeSMC 2.5 (http://netkas.org/?p=338) and PC EFI 10.5 (http://netkas.org/?p=271). Everything works great, but still no sleep after a restart :(.

Sennen
11-26-2009, 12:56 PM
I also have the restart after sleep problem with my Asus Rampage II Gene based hack.

I have done some brief tests replacing OpenHaltRestart.kext with Master Chief's OSXRestart.kext (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=199048).

Restart after sleep works with this setup but now the computer doesn't shutdown fully. I suspect that there are further changes needed with the DSDT and/or kexts in order for shutdown to work with OSXRestart.kext.

feferefe
12-13-2009, 05:26 PM
Hi JDC1001:

This question has nothing to do with the subject, but could you tell me what Video card do you have with this mobo? I'm looking to install this mobo in my Gateway FX6800 with the stock ATI HD4850 512MB 2dvi.

Thanks,
Feferefe

dumb4ever
06-21-2010, 07:56 PM
I also been trying to figure out how to install OSX on this motherboard:
I got
- Intel i7 930
- Asus Rampage Gene II (BIOS 0904)
- WD Black 750 GB Sata HDD (1 Partition GUID) -- Plugged in to SATA 1 Port
- Sata DVD-RW DL drive -- Plugged in into SATA 3 Port
- 6 Gig DDR3
- Visiontek 4870 512MB Video Card
- USB Caddy with 80 GB HDD on it.

I also own a macbook pro to format the hdd and restore disk image to the 80GB HDD.

I tried the guide from this page: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=194312
but every time i tried installing, always stuck at Waiting for Root device (when i use -v cpus=1 busratio=20), if i just let it run, it stuck at the spinning wheel.

Any help ? maybe BIOS Settings ?

PS: I also tried booting using Empire EFI (latest version), and using myHack boot, but still never could get into the OSX Installation page.

Also, just to make sure, for the DSDT.aml, I can just copy and paste to the "restored OSX" and don't need special way to patch/install it.

Thanks

Dil83
06-28-2010, 06:23 AM
I also been trying to figure out how to install OSX on this motherboard:
I got
- Intel i7 930
- Asus Rampage Gene II (BIOS 0904)
- WD Black 750 GB Sata HDD (1 Partition GUID) -- Plugged in to SATA 1 Port
- Sata DVD-RW DL drive -- Plugged in into SATA 3 Port
- 6 Gig DDR3
- Visiontek 4870 512MB Video Card
- USB Caddy with 80 GB HDD on it.

I also own a macbook pro to format the hdd and restore disk image to the 80GB HDD.

I tried the guide from this page: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=194312
but every time i tried installing, always stuck at Waiting for Root device (when i use -v cpus=1 busratio=20), if i just let it run, it stuck at the spinning wheel.

Any help ? maybe BIOS Settings ?

PS: I also tried booting using Empire EFI (latest version), and using myHack boot, but still never could get into the OSX Installation page.

Also, just to make sure, for the DSDT.aml, I can just copy and paste to the "restored OSX" and don't need special way to patch/install it.

Thanks

In my experience, I haven't been able to boot from a usb docked hdd. You need to connect the hdd internally to the SATA port. As long as you have all the needed .kexts in the /Extra/Extensions folder, you should be able to boot. That is just my experience. You should also just use your MBP to install Snow Leopard to the usb hdd, then install the bootloader to the same drive along with the /Extra folder. After that connect it to a SATA port on the mobo and you should have no problems.

Hope this helps, Dil83

dstarr
08-25-2010, 09:20 PM
Just did a combo update 10.6.0-10.6.4 and my AD2000B sound is broken. Using the DSDT from here still... I get numerous 'assertation failed' on AppleHDA.kext during boot up. Any insights?