PDA

View Full Version : software update to 10.5.8 wont boot help

dogbeans
10-04-2009, 07:17 PM
hey i used software update 10.5.8 on my ideneb 10.5.7 install. now i get waiting for root device. I was wondering if there is a solution for that. ??install some kexts manually or something??? Also is there a way to retrieve some files of that install. I left all my pictures on it and dont have any backups!!!!!!!

Thanks

xXrkidXx
10-04-2009, 07:20 PM
k well are u dual booting? did you back up your kernel before the update?

dogbeans
10-04-2009, 07:50 PM
no i didn't do anything, i just clicked software update and it updated to 10.5.8 and it wont boot anymore. And yes it is a dual boot. i have vista on it

dogbeans
10-04-2009, 08:14 PM
ok i retrieved all my files using macdrive8. So thats one problem down. now is there any way i can still salvage my ideneb install. if not i can always just reinstall it

xXrkidXx
10-04-2009, 09:35 PM
well whatr happend was the Software update erased your kernel... google for a kernel (9.8 AnV Voodoo) and if you can get JUST THE KERNEL, drop it in the root(before name it something like mach_kernel.old) then when you get to the chameleon screen type in mach_kernel.old(or whatever you named it) then when your in(Also download the packedge of Installing 9.8.0 AnV Voodoo newest revision) run the installer, which should fix your booting problem. Now just reinstall your drivers and such. All fixed, and if it doesnt work, just reinstall it.

thorazine74
10-05-2009, 08:10 AM
What kernel were you running in the first place? If you were using apple kernel updating it will not render your system unbootable or make you wait for root device...
On the other hand, if iatkos installed some kext for your SATA or PATA controllers in /System/Library/Extensions and they got overwritten during the update you would have lost access the partition where the root is.
I would find out what controller the disk is connected to and find a kext for it and reinstall it, in /Extra/Extensions if you are runing a recent Chameleon version.