PDA

View Full Version : [HELP] Triple-boot with Mac OS X?

Kadir
10-08-2009, 08:50 PM
Okay. I have this PC, which i dual-booted with Vista and 7. Now I wanna triple-boot it with Mac OS X.

But I'm confused with all those youtube videos out there, saying how to do it. So I ask in here, for anyone to tell me how to do it.

I need iAtkos v7 right? So... I would just download this(http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/5015040/iATKOS_v7_OSX_10.5.7_for_[Intel_AMD]_PC (http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/5015040/iATKOS_v7_OSX_10.5.7_for_%5BIntel_AMD%5D_PC)), burn on a disc, boot it up, change the mac partition to mac os extended (journaled) via the install, then customize it with my needs and just install it?

P.S.
They say that I need an Intel or AMD processor, with SSE2 or SSE3 support. I got.
Also, I already made the partition. 25GB FAT32.

http://static-cache.ipodtouchfans.com/imgcache3/9b27123d7a84fae7310d2080cc6bfe39.png?orig_url=http ://i36.tinypic.com/2myb3gn.png
http://i36.tinypic.com/2myb3gn.png

razy60
10-08-2009, 11:54 PM
set your partition to active then install, when you have finished you need to reboot with your windows disc so that you can repair the windows boot then you need easybcd(download it) so that you can install the boot records for OSX and your other windows install.

Raz

Kadir
10-09-2009, 09:50 AM
set your partition to active then install, when you have finished you need to reboot with your windows disc so that you can repair the windows boot then you need easybcd(download it) so that you can install the boot records for OSX and your other windows install.

Raz

What do you mean by active? I did the partition via the "Create and format hard disk partitions" in Windows 7.

After I installed, can I use any windows repair discs to repair the windows boot?

What does EasyBCD do? I don't understand the part with "install the boot records for OSX"? Don't I just go to msconfig.exe and choose default OS and the others will be not-default?

Help me again:)

EDIT: By the way, are my computer good enough to have OSX installed?

thorazine74
10-09-2009, 04:21 PM
Installing the bootloader for OS X will break Windows boot manager, you need to fix it if you want to keep using it. You need to use the same version Windows DVD you have installed or similar (i.e. you cant use XP disc to fix Seven boot manager, but you may be able to use Vista's maybe...).
I dont know what OS X distro or retail you are going to install, but you will need a bootloader to start it up, Windows boot manager will know nothing about OS X, it wont show up in msconfig or bcd, you need a third party tool like easybcd to add OS X bootloader to Windows boot menu or, alternatively, use Chameleon or PCEFI (most common OSX86 bootloaders/managers) to multiboot instead of Windows.
Also the partition created within Windows most likely wont be valid for OS X installation, you need to another partition manager like parted magic to create a HFS+ type partition without redoing your entire partition layout.

razy60
10-09-2009, 06:40 PM
Hi, Before you start you really need to read as much as you can,
there are various install tutorials on this forum and others try Insanelymac,
Check in the osx86wiki what your system needs as far as settings when you actually try the install, read some more. you will find that you may have to try the install a few times until you get it right, take lots of notes, read some more,
There are loads of really good guides available read them.
No one can tell you exactly what you need only the basics as most systems are different, I have a Dell 6400 there at least 20 variations of it.
To set your partition to active so that you can install, open windows go to the partition you created right click on it select make active. insert your OSX disc restart your PC select boot from Cd/DVD, when you have finished the install put your windows install disc back in select repair installation-command line- then
DISKPART
list disk
select disk(normally 0)
list partition
select partition(whichever has windows on)
active
exit
(press return after each line i have written)
Press restart this will get you back into windows,
Download EasyBCD, open it select Add/Delete, select Mac-generic x86-select Add-select save.
You can now boot into mac or windows,
This may not be the most elegant way but it works.
the actual customization of your install is up to you, you need to find out your self what you need,
Read some more.

Raz

Kadir
10-10-2009, 10:13 PM
OKAY! :)
So.. I make the partition active, then install the OS X.
After installing I repair the boot with a windows repair disc.
I do the commands as razy said, and then boot into either 7 or Vista.
Then I install EasyBCD and add the OS X bootloader, and then just reboot.

But will I still have the dual-boot with Vista and 7, like I have now? (Triple-boot with MAC OS X)
Like.. will there be listed 3 OS', after I add the Mac OS X bootloader?

thorazine74
10-11-2009, 10:53 AM
Most likely you wont be able to install OS X in a partition created by Windows, as it will be type NTFS or FAT32 and OS X needs a partition type HFS+, you would need to create the partition with a third party tool like Parted Magic or redo the whole disk partition layout with OS X Disk Utility (no need to say that would erase all your data on the disk).

Kadir
10-11-2009, 01:23 PM
But couldn't I just do the partition in FAT32, then when I'm at the install screen with Mac OS X, I could choose Disk Utility and then make it to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) as I've seen on those YouTube videos?

thorazine74
10-12-2009, 01:37 PM
It may work if you mark the partition as active as suggested by the OP suggested. Also you wont be able to create fat32 partitions bigger than 32 gb with vista, only ntfs.