PDA

View Full Version : How can I know if my CPU or mobo can use vanilla kernel?

xlucian
10-16-2009, 10:18 PM
hy

can some one tell me what part of hardware establish if Mac OS X can be used with vanilla kernel on a PC?

i have a working retail Leopard updated to 10.5.8 , using voodoo 9.8.0 kernel.

when i first installed leo on my PC was when iAtkos v1 was out and it worked great and at installation point when you select if you want to use voodoo kernel, i didn't select any, same as with v4.

With v5 and also with v7 i had to select a voodoo kernel so that leo would work on my PC.

At this point i'm still not sure if with v1 and v4 i was using vanilla kernel, and if yes... why didn't it worked with v5 and v7?

i'm asking this because i have a dual core D805, and soon i want to get an i7 920.

on some tutorials of retail leo and snow leo installs, it was mentioned that users with i7 should use god knows what kernel...no vanilla for them, but recently i saw that some user have leo or snow leo working with vanilla kernel on their i7.

basic...the usage of vanilla kernel is determined by cpu or motherboard...or any other component?

also on my pc i have an Ati Radeon x1600pro silent fully working on my leo qe/ci enable, and i am going to change it with an ati hd4870 (saphire)..do i need extra kext to make it work? cause i know that apple from 10.5.7 update (i think...maybe 10.5.8) has included support for ati hd4870.

thank you

Imkantus
10-17-2009, 10:37 PM
Hi,

You need to have a patched Kernel since the Pentium D you are using is based on the NetBurst architecture.
Using the Vanilla Kernel requieres you to have a CPU that's at least based on the Intel-Core-Microarchitecture.
(Don't mess this up with Multi-Core CPUs in generell - two different animals)
The Core i7 can be used with the Vanilla Kernel since it's just a Nehalem using HyperThreading, what's both supported by OS X. (You might gonna need to create a patched DSDT to be able to use all cores, depending on your mainboard)

I have no proofed answer on you question about the 4870, but you can read about it here: http://netkas.org/?p=84 - in any case I would recommend you to get a supported GeForce instead if you're going to use OSx86.

xlucian
10-18-2009, 11:32 AM
thank you......

thorazine74
10-18-2009, 03:46 PM
I think the kernel's version also could have some influence in what CPUs it support, i.e., Snow Leopard's kernel 10.0 supports Core i7 but Leopard 9.2 or 9.3 vanilla kernels probably dont.