PDA

View Full Version : win 7 and osx keep changing the damn time

spalek83
10-29-2009, 02:11 AM
so i set both windows 7 and osx snow to san francisco/pacific standard time

so they should both think I am in the same area and show the exact same time that is saved in the bios, yet when I boot into osx it shows the clock wrong, off by 12 hours or more. if I change it to the correct time of course windows time is off. I know I could make them both connect to the internet and change the time, but that not only dosn't always work, it is irrational.. do others deal with this, and how? it drives me crazy

how do I force osx to just show the time that is in the bios correctly?

thanks

SportsGuy
10-29-2009, 02:36 AM
That happens to me, too! But in Vista... I'll see if I can find anything

edit: I set it to not change the time automatically, but idk how it will work with having the right time in both OS's

brlock
10-29-2009, 02:45 AM
That is because OSX always sets the system clock to GMT and then displays the corrected time of your time zone. Windows saves on BIOS whatever your time is, disregard of time zone.

You can find a fix for windows here (http://weblogs.asp.net/dfindley/archive/2006/06/20/Set-hardware-clock-to-UTC-on-Windows-_2800_or-how-to-make-the-clock-work-on-a-Mac-Book-Pro_2900_.aspx) or you disable the "Set date & time automatically" in OSX and adjust your time zone to gmt.

Imkantus
10-29-2009, 11:15 AM
Easiest fix is to change the OS X time zone. :D ;)

spalek83
10-29-2009, 11:23 AM
disabled auto update time and set gmt time in osx.. so simple

thanks!

mormegil
10-29-2009, 03:33 PM
It also screws up with any world clock you have set up though

It's the fault of osx imo. Why set system clock to be gmt and complicate things?

Imkantus
10-29-2009, 07:02 PM

It's the fault of osx imo. Why set system clock to be gmt and complicate things?For me it works perfect to change my clock to Dublin / Ireland (GMT+0:00) to have correct time on Snow Leopard and XP during the winter - I no longer have it changing - don't ask me why, I just tried till it worked and there is no other fix applied. :)

thorazine74
10-29-2009, 08:16 PM

It's the fault of osx imo. Why set system clock to be gmt and complicate things?

I would say its a matter of not agreeing whats right or not giving you a choice like some linux distros do.
Google for AppleTimeService from Bootcamp. Alternatively there is also a registry hack for vista to set the hardware clock to gmt.

spalek83
10-29-2009, 10:12 PM
from what i've read, the vista registry whatnot causes some problems for people, and having windows handle actual time and osx do gmt and not auto change time works so perfectly, I wonder why someone would even consider the registry change

maya77
10-29-2009, 10:21 PM
Here is a simple fix for Windows which will keep your time accurate (taken from BootCamp):

http://rapidshare.com/files/225861324/AT_Fix_10.zip

Simply install and enjoy.
No need to set any options.
Uninstall supported.

spalek83
10-29-2009, 10:34 PM
i'm gonna try it tonight anyways... not having osx set to gmt seems like something good to have

thanks maya

mormegil
10-30-2009, 04:43 AM
from what i've read, the vista registry whatnot causes some problems for people, and having windows handle actual time and osx do gmt and not auto change time works so perfectly, I wonder why someone would even consider the registry change

If you set up your system to be gmt, all the world clocks you might have set up to show the time in different parts of the world will be useless. Unless you're really living in gmt timezone of course.

NIZGTR
10-30-2009, 06:47 AM
or u can use this fix from Zeph http://www.MegaShare.com/1579290

works for me every time

thorazine74
10-30-2009, 02:24 PM
Having OS X time zone as GMT is not really a solution IMO. I had no troubles with Windows set up to make the system clock based on GMT but you could always use AppleTimeService in Windows, thats supposed to work with zero troubles (it does on Macs so...)

spalek83
10-30-2009, 09:38 PM
so i used the windows bootcamp patch and it works. also installed the zeph patch but i'm not even sure what that does/did

but I have osx to pst time now, and windows showing it as well so thanks!

raykreisel
11-02-2009, 07:32 PM
The easiest fix that I have found is a small package called "localtime-toggle.pkg"

The original download link does not work any more so I am giving another link

http://www.kreisels.com/ray/mystuff/Localtime-Toggle.pkg

Just set your Mac OS timezone as you would normally, and set your Windows time zone as you would normally. Install this package in Mac OS, and it takes care of everything and leaves you with the correct time zone and the correct time.

good luck...

yusofu
12-12-2009, 05:16 AM
so i set both windows 7 and osx snow to san francisco/pacific standard time

so they should both think I am in the same area and show the exact same time that is saved in the bios, yet when I boot into osx it shows the clock wrong, off by 12 hours or more. if I change it to the correct time of course windows time is off. I know I could make them both connect to the internet and change the time, but that not only dosn't always work, it is irrational.. do others deal with this, and how? it drives me crazy

how do I force osx to just show the time that is in the bios correctly?

thanks

Dear Spalek83,

Relax, relax . . . . OS X collects and writes clock from/to BIOS directly !!
Tuning can be done with these :-

- Pls correct your clock to ur current time first.
- Use a Terminal,
- type sudo nano /etc/rc.local
- type in ur password
- type date `date -u +%m%d%H%M%Y`
- type Ctrl O (to save)
- type Ctrl X (to exit)
- type sudo nano /etc/rc.shutdown.local
- type date -u `date +%m%d%H%M%Y`
- [look at the differences, will ya !!]
- type Ctrl O (to save)
- type Ctrl X (to exit)
- restart if you wish to check clock in Win7 and restart again to SL.

(DO NOT miss any single character above - otherwise it may not work)
Well, upon next restart SL will be abit a bit lag to show ur tuned clock but if u click ur clock up there, the correct time will be displayed.

Don't worry, the script won't brick ur OS X.

Credits to ALL MENTORS around the GLOBE.