PDA

View Full Version : Buildng Quad Core AMD, Suggestions?

12-14-2009, 06:41 PM
Here's the specs so far:

Mother Board: Asus M4A785TD-M EVO

Power Supply :1000w Coolmax

Video card :ATI Radeon 4200 HD

RAM : unknown (haven't bought any yet)

I want to install Snow Leopard on this machine, It is unfinihed though will update soon as parts come in!

Any .kext suggestions?

spalek83
12-22-2009, 05:49 AM
return the parts and get quad core intel
quick, quick

12-22-2009, 10:59 PM
I bought AMD for a reason. I like AMD better.

spalek83
12-23-2009, 05:17 AM
as do i, but if you want to run snow leopard in 64 bit, you can't with amd since it dosn't have SSSE3

Imkantus
12-23-2009, 01:25 PM
as do i, but if you want to run snow leopard in 64 bit, you can't with amd since it dosn't have SSSE3Sorry but you are wrong.
All K9 and newer and even most K8 AMD CPUs have SSE3 support.

Also this is not related to the 64-Bit support of OS X. The problem is that the EM64T arch is different to AMD64 - to be precise the command interpretation is the problem; as AMD64 doesn't support SYSENTER and SYSEXIT commands.

Furthermore this restriction has been solved, as the Voodoo XNU for Leopard and the quoopz XNU for Snow Leopard, allow to emulate those two commands to gain support for 64-Bit memory addressing and the abbility to lunch 64-Bit apps. :)

spalek83
12-23-2009, 02:13 PM
i didn't say sse3. i said ssse3. they are not the same thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSSE3

an you believe you are going to be able to use things like 64bit quicktime ?

It means that the kernel will work in 32-bit. You don’t get pure 64-bit mode , as in your hardware drivers would be in 32-bit. However programs would take advantage of 64-bit mode and run natively in 64-bit if its capable of doing so. However be warned that 64-bit support is bit flaky due to the fact that these older processors lack SSSE3. For AMD systems , you’ll notice that some programs will crash with 64-bit.personally, 32bit works fine on my amd processor, and I don't have enough memory to make 64bit truly worthwhile. yet if I was paying for my system now, getting everything possible would be my personal priority.

Imkantus
12-23-2009, 03:37 PM
i didn't say sse3. i said ssse3.[/URL]Excuse me sir, I should read more carefully next time. ;)

an you believe you are going to be able to use things like 64bit quicktime ?You are right that there are very few apps that require SSSE3 to be executed as 64-Bit app, but they can still be lunched properly as 32-Bit app & this does not affect the fundamental possibility to use AMD64 on OS X.
QTX is a dog anyway. ;)

ronoverdrive
12-23-2009, 04:42 PM
I bought AMD for a reason. I like AMD better.

Regardless of what you like, you'll have an easier time running OSX on an Intel/Nvidia platform. You don't have to worry about installing custom kernels and CPUID patching at every system update is the big one. I like AMD myself as I feel they offer the best bang for the buck on a tight budget, but that isn't gonna change OSX compatibility nor keep it vanilla.

12-24-2009, 04:33 PM
I appreciate your comments, I recently found that my on-board graphics card isn't supported, I have a Radeon x4200 HD. I have found no solution for this problem other than bbuying an add-on video card. But I have found chip-set kext for this board.

D.M