PDA

View Full Version : Snow Leopard 10.6.2 Straight From Dvd To Blank AMD System

HardRom
12-27-2009, 08:07 PM
Hello again all.

I just wanted to share; this post is as much a bragging as it is a help file for others with similar systems.

I used the Hazard DVD 10.6.2 Distro last night (torrents stuck at 97.6% - used newsgroups), and it was entirely successful and easy.

I popped in my brand new 500G WD hard drive, took out all the excess and crossed my fingers as I booted with the DVD in the drive.

Choosing options was easy (if you've run any distros before, you should have a pretty good idea of what you need). If for example, your hardware is the same as mine, you choose the following options:

1. Legacy kernel
2. LegacySATA fix
3. NVEnabler
4. RTL8139
5. Voodoo HDA
6. ElliotForceLegacyRTC
7. AMD
... and I didn't install fonts, x11 or Rosetta

If your options are right, it takes about 20 mins, then you go through the lovely setup wizard and you're in!

This is the fabled all-in-one that has been whispered in hushed tones around forums everywhere. Grab it and install your copy of 10.6.2 today.:D

Angelost
01-02-2010, 06:09 PM
I will try it, my specs are similar to yours. I'll post a reply if mine's working.
Thank you for the info...

gophish99
01-04-2010, 01:30 AM
Mine went well too, but itune keep crashing and internet is really slow!
I believe the itune problem is due to AMD cpu.
I am looking for fix.

HardRom
01-07-2010, 03:51 AM
Any luck, Angelost (http://www.infinitemac.com/../../member.php?u=21320)?
gophish99 (http://www.infinitemac.com/../../member.php?u=62), I dont use iTunes on that rig, so I couldnt say. I will test it and see... as far as internet though, I have noticed no issues what so ever (Shaw High Speed Xtreme I). You could try a different ethernet driver?

Angelost
01-08-2010, 10:04 AM
I couldn't get it to boot :( It's so depressing... And I didn't post any of the errors too due to my disappointment I completely forgot.

Why have you used the legacy kernel and legacy SATA fix? How can u tell from 1st hand what's working and what's not?
All I remenber is sth about kernel calling for some kexts that couldn't get loaded sth like SuperVIAATA and IOATAFamily. I tried several times again and again varying my initial package selection, but here's the thing Hazard's customised DVD doesn't make use of the same sophisticted level of package details, even the names are a bit misleading. I mean, you have LegacySATAfix and you don't know what's the difference between this package and the normal SATAfix package which is sooo confusing. And trust me I'd like to find out what's wrong but I don't get it where to start from.

HardRom
01-09-2010, 01:03 AM
Dont feel too bad, I can't get my other computer (this, the primary one) to boot ANY distro (Hey! We're going backwards! is the error).

I used the legacy fixes as *I BELIEVE* they have more IDs in them, supporting more types of hardware, specifically older hardware. I could be wrong and stand to be corrected by anyone who knows better.

I never used the SuperViaAta as I commented on a different forum that it never worked for my hardware. One step towards resolution would be to remove that, maybe?

As always, if you're able to get the DVD to boot, try with the most minimal options first. i.e. SL 10.6.0 (not patched to .1 or .2), amd options. If that works (it sucks, I know), then reinstall with a few more. Honestly, some kexts are just b*tches to get working properly on certain hardware.

Good luck, and feel free to come back and let me know how it's going.

Angelost
01-09-2010, 12:29 PM
Do you know how can I completely disable/remove the SuperVIAATA package or others I don't want?
I couldn't get it to boot again no matter what i chose.
Here are 2 pics of what's happening whenever I'm trying to boot.
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/4138/09012010007.jpg

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/1047/09012010008.jpg
http://img11.imageshack.us/i/09012010007.jpg/

HardRom
01-09-2010, 04:44 PM
The safest and smartest way since you have a non-working system currently is to start fresh, format the drive and do the installer again, not choosing the SuperViaAta. Honestly, thats the route you should take. It will take longer, but your results will be untampered.

The alternate way, the removal is done from single user mode -s at darwin prompt
sudo bash
cd /System/Library/Extensions
kextload SuperViaAta.kext (To verify it's there, thats the name of it, etc)
rm -rf SuperViaAta.kext
reboot and -f -v the prompt the next time.

Good luck!

Angelost
01-09-2010, 05:41 PM
I'll remove it from my linux system.
Do you know if I can do it when I'm done, using the console utility of Hazard's Installation Disc?

Angelost
01-09-2010, 07:44 PM
I've removed the package, but nothing changed. Still IOATAFamily has unsatisfied decendencies. Can i use an alternative kernel except those provided in the iso?

HardRom
01-10-2010, 07:44 AM
Can i use an alternative kernel except those provided in the iso? I couldnt tell you. I never had anything to do with the development of this distro, and am not much past a basic noob myself. The only thing I've got under my belt over the next guys who just heard about this is several wasted weekends installing and reinstalling.

Hazards' distro is designed to cover *most* configurations, so you may be able to boot with the kernel=modbin, kernel=legacy or kernel=voodoo (The three on the disk).

Honestly though, at this point I dont know why you're bothering to dick around with your broken (and potentially more and more broken) installation. Just start fresh and try different options. As many people have said, this is not meant to be a production quality system, more of a "test". So no one can really complain too much about having to debug and reinstall on the fly. :) Cheeky buggers.

Angelost
01-10-2010, 12:02 PM
I think you're right. I did change the kernel though, and besides the problem desappeared I can't get it to boot again. It doesn't matter, I'll keep on testing. Thanks for the interest.

samm5506
01-12-2010, 03:50 AM
I used basically the same exact settings getting almost a 100% working setup. The only problems I am currently facing are sound issues which I know how to fix and one odd problem. Booting in 32-bit mode or 64-bit mode doesn't seem to make much of a difference, but I often prefer booting in 32-bit mode. The problem is that my mouse moves extremely fast across the screen and processes run very poorly.

This is my second time having a successful install with this disc. The first time the OS actually ran at a decent speed atleast half of the time, now it doesn't seem to work very well at all. If anyone knows any reason at all why this isn't working correctly, please post. Also, just as a little sidenote, I never used that "Marvin's AMD Utility" if that is needed to be used.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/SPARTAN04/snowleopard.png
I managed to snap this image after about 5 minutes of waiting :/

HardRom
01-14-2010, 01:30 AM
samm5506 (http://www.infinitemac.com/../../member.php?u=21913) its been a few days, is it working for you now?

I ran Marvins on the drive itself after first boot, had some issues patching (from single user, not OS), but proceeded anyway, and Im still running sweet.

Travolta
03-24-2010, 02:37 AM
Thanks a lot HardRom - you encourage me to make a second try with my M2N-SLI deluxe - coz first one failed when I tried hazard`s 10.6.2 - I was unable to boot DVD disk because my SATA DVD drive was connected to JMicron SATA port (no matter what mode it use). When I reconnected it to one of nvidia`s SATA port (as you did) everything works! Great job!

HardRom
03-27-2010, 03:37 AM
Thanks a lot HardRom - you encourage me to make a second try with my M2N-SLI deluxe - coz first one failed when I tried hazard`s 10.6.2 - I was unable to boot DVD disk because my SATA DVD drive was connected to JMicron SATA port (no matter what mode it use). When I reconnected it to one of nvidia`s SATA port (as you did) everything works! Great job!

Hey man, glad to hear it. Now... does your dvd drive work in 10.6.2? I can put in disks and sometimes 5 mins later, it will tell me I put in a blank. The only problem with that really other than the time frame is that the disks arent blank. ... Anyone?

Device: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS50 ATA Device

stephenspake
03-28-2010, 07:15 PM
I need some help. I cant seem to even get to the install screen on a mac and Ive tried a few methods. Can someone point me in the direction of a good image to use?

MSI 785GM-E51 Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X2 550 (OC'd to 3.62 per core)
4GB DDR3 10600
500GB Western Digital SATA2 HDD (2 in case)
XFX HD4850 1GB
24X DVD-RW

Im just at a loss in where to start, or what image to use, and I've read on the method of installing externally from leopard but it seems very convoluted and I was wondering if there was anything more simple. Thanks for reading!

HardRom
03-29-2010, 12:04 AM
I need some help. I cant seem to even get to the install screen on a mac and Ive tried a few methods. Can someone point me in the direction of a good image to use?

MSI 785GM-E51 Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X2 550 (OC'd to 3.62 per core)
4GB DDR3 10600
500GB Western Digital SATA2 HDD (2 in case)
XFX HD4850 1GB
24X DVD-RW

Im just at a loss in where to start, or what image to use, and I've read on the method of installing externally from leopard but it seems very convoluted and I was wondering if there was anything more simple. Thanks for reading!

First, no one can tell you where to get the images- but based purely on success rates, I would say to get the Hazard Distro that this thread refers to.

Second, remove all unnecessary hardware before you try to install. You dont need to have more than one hard drive just to install, so disconnect them for a bit.

Third, hacks are severely picky. You may want to unclock your system before you install.

And finally, fourth- you may be hooped on your video card. You will have to look around and see if there are any Snow Leopard kexts for it.

Try 1 2 and 3, let me know how it goes from there, I may be able to help later. Oh, and ... Good Luck! :D

Travolta
03-30-2010, 02:10 AM
Hey man, glad to hear it. Now... does your dvd drive work in 10.6.2? I can put in disks and sometimes 5 mins later, it will tell me I put in a blank. The only problem with that really other than the time frame is that the disks arent blank. ... Anyone?

Device: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS50 ATA Device

Mine is SATA LITEON work just fine no problems so far -even burn with Toast
Gonna try update tp 10.6.3 tonight.....

minibuu
04-30-2010, 12:27 AM
I think I am ready to give up on this little project myself. I also have a M2N SLI Deluxe mobo and I can not get SLeopard or any Leopard to install. When I load the disk 9 times out of 10 the system (AppleUSBOHCI) goes to sleep and I have to hit the power button to wake it up which totally screws up the harddrive making them useless. When it does work and I get to the installing screen it starts installing, error message then freezes. I am ready to throw this damn machine out the window :-D.

Edit: If my current attempt finishes installing I think I know why I was having so much trouble. The format I was trying to use was guid and now I am attempting to install using MBR format. So far it looks like it has no trouble installing. It is either that or the fact that I switched from my dvi/to hdmi to a rbg cable. But seriously if your telling me the difference in how my tv is hooked up to my machine is whats causing the issue Ill force this rig to commit seppuku.

minibuu
04-30-2010, 07:10 AM
Installed but now I have the following error:
boot0: GPT
boot0: testing
boot0: testing
boot0: done
boot1: /boot_

Any idea what this is all about?

I pretty much used your setup because I also have a M2N-SLI Deluxe Amd motherboard.

Okay that problem has been solved. It was something as simple as making sure my firewire was turned on in bios. My current problem is when it boots up the screen goes blue then black? Are you guys experiencing this problem and how did you fix it for the M2N-SLI Deluxe motherboard?

HardRom
05-13-2010, 01:48 AM
Sorry for the delay, I was in Mexico for vacation. As to your issue, it _may_ have something to do with a hardware compatibility issue... try removing all non essential hardware and (Im sorry to say), start over. Non essential means everything but KB and mouse... additional drives, you name it. Once its installed and working nicely, then you can slowly add back in your additional hardware (one at a time!) and see whats killing it.

Good luck!

Edit: Make sure your video cable is plugged in to the right port - I had black monitor issue, when I didnt realize my monitor was plugged into the second port on the card. Hope this helps.