PDA

View Full Version : Can't wake from sleep after updating to 10.5.8

adnbek
01-09-2010, 10:54 AM
Sleep was working fine with 10.5.7 but after updating to 10.5.8 I can sleep but can't wake from it.

in any case, my question is not how to fix it but how to disable sleep altogether since I never use it anyway. How can I prevent it from going to sleep completely? I'm not talking about moving the slider to "never" under Energy Saver but completely blocking the sleep function. I ask because sometimes when I am trying to select "Restart" I hit "Sleep" in error and it goes to sleep, forcing me to hard reset the PC.

Thanks!

Imkantus
01-09-2010, 12:46 PM
I do not know how to do that. I do not think that you can remove a menu item that easy.

But have you tied SleepEnabler.kext for Darwin 9.8.0 to fix it, yet?

adnbek
01-09-2010, 12:47 PM
Using SleepEnabler will fix the no-waking issue?

Imkantus
01-09-2010, 12:51 PM
http://thireus.dareyourmind.net/10.5.8_Thireus_Fixes_3.5.zip

Get this - just for SleepEnabler.kext - do not pay any attention to the other stuff included in that zip.
Open Terminal and enter "uname -a" be sure to have 9.8.0 Darwin Kernel, otherwise this kext will cause a Kernel Panic.
Install SleepEnabler.kext using KextHelper, reboot and see if it works. :)

adnbek
01-09-2010, 01:06 PM
I jumped the gun and used a SleepEnabler.kext I found with google. Now I get a KP. :( ->Removed and KP is gone.

This is the sleep enabler kext I used that caused the KP: http://code.google.com/p/xnu-sleep-enabler/downloads/list

I used the first one of course and I indeed have Kernel 9.8.0 and got a KP. Is the one you suggested I download the same?
And another question. If I already removed AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and don't replace it with anything else, if I choose the Sleep option what would happen?

Imkantus
01-09-2010, 02:20 PM
Yes it is the same Kernel Extensions, as the one I mentioned.
I do not know why it is causing Kernel Panic in your case - propably you can provide a photo of it?

I do not think that it has any effect if AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext is present or not - as we usually use Disabler.kext or NullCPUPowermanagement.kext to prevent it from beeing loaded, as it doesn't work the way it should on ha Hack.
Ah by the way - what is configuration? There are ways to make AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext working on Vanilla Intel Core systems using DSDT mod. Accordording to the text on googlecode this might fix Sleep. Alltough I cannot confirm that - I have native speedstep but still need SleepEnabler.kext on my Desktop configuration...

adnbek
01-09-2010, 02:30 PM
To clarify my 2nd question, which has nothing to do with the SleepEnabler issue. If I removed/disabled AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, if I choose "Sleep" in the Apple menu will something happen or will it not sleep anymore? I'd prefer preventing it from sleeping if possible.

As for the SleepEnabler.kext issue, well I'm not too good with Hackintosh stuff and I'd rather not intentionally cause a KP again, unless it's absolutely necessary. Is there any way to test the Kext without installing it?