PDA

View Full Version : ASRock x58 Extreme DSDT & optimizing.

adriangb
01-09-2010, 09:25 PM
Hi, this is my first post in this forum, but I'm not completely clueless, so be a little patient.
First I'll explain my situation: I finally ordered my first build (ASRock x58 Extreme+ i7 920+GeForce 9800 GT 1GB+2x2GB OZC Gold 1600MHz DDR3) and am expecting it to arrive in the next few days (I live in Argentina, so I have someone bringing it in from the USA).
The motherboard specs are as follows:
North bridge: Intel x58, obviously
South bridge: Intel ICH10R
Onboard audio: Realtek ALC890
Onboard network card: Realtek 8111DL
Note: I have a Sound Blaster Gateway OEM Audigy (I believe it only differs from the normal models in that it identifies differently, and therefore is only compatible with Gateways windows drivers, but I'm guessing OS X won't care) that I could get, if it makes audio easier.
So, on to the actual stuff. From what I know, the best (meaning most vanilla) install consists of a GPT drive with chameleon (or PC EFI, which one should I pick?) on the EFI partition, along with a modified DSDT, the com.apple.boot.plist with GraphicsEnabler=yes and EthernetBuiltIn=yes. Note on this last item: would it be possible to no use the EthernetBuiltIn=yes and just modify the DSDT? I think I would like to use GraphicsEnabler=yes, since it gives some more flexibility. Oh, and a modified smbios.plist (can this be replaced with some DSDT?)
So... what I have found up to now:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=175135&view=findpost&p=1290690 states that using a patched DSDT (which he attached to his post, and I downloaded and modified ever so slightly) and AppleDecrypt, ATAPortInjector.kext, Disabler.kext, dsmos, IONetworkingFamily, LegacyAppleAHCIPort and LegacyIOAHCIBlockStorage he has everything working in Leopard, except firewire, ATA drives and ALC890 with HDA. First of all: don't dsmos and AppleDecrypt do the same thing? And I wouldn't need any of these anyways since I prefer to use fakesmc (like the post (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?s=&showtopic=175135&view=findpost&p=1311590) farther down recommends. In that post there is no dsdt attached, so I suppose he is using the same one. So now it seems I would be needing:
fakesmc (can this be replaced with something in DSDT?)
PlatformUUID (I'm pretty sure even chameleon can do this, buy DSDT is obviously preferable)
OpenHaltRestart (I need it that the system shuts down correctly an reboots correctly)
RealtekR1000 (for the 8111DL, can I DSDT this?)
IONetworkingFamily (to solve depencies with RealtekR1000)
So it would be that, and getting ALC890 working. From the looks of the .dsl, speedstepping HT and the four cores should be working.
I'll attach my DSDT.dsl. I got no errors compiling, but I would seriously appreciate if someone gives a peek at it (since I don't trust myself enough).
If I finally get a good install going, I'm willing to try and create an installer for my fellow -or future- ASRock x58 Extreme users, so they can have a effortless installation :) .
I'm in no hurry -yet- since as I said earlier, I don't even have the hardware yet, but I'm a very impatient person, and get mad when I have to wait to long for an answer ;) . Thanks in advance

UnretroGamer
01-27-2010, 10:15 PM
Hey there that's a pretty hefty post you got there...I was wondering, where do I put the "dsdt.dsl" file that you attached? I'm guessing you attached it so that others (like me with an ASRock X58 Extreme) could use it. I got Mac OSX installed onto the hard drive with iAtkos v7 that uses Chameleon and stuff.

My problem is that if I don't do anything, Chameleon boots into Leopard itself and it just shows a shiny silver Apple but hangs there forever...If I set busratio=20 cpus=1, first of all it runs slow, and second...when I boot with that, it hangs on the same shiny silver apple screen but now with the loading circle that is dark gray, stays there forever too. Then if I set 1CPU in BIOS, and take off speed step, and HT and Virtualization...then if I put "busratio=20" it hangs with loading circle. If I boot with same BIOS settings and put boot-flag "busratio=20 cpus=1" then now it shows loading circle for five minutes and then over the shiny apple, after five minutes it will show a white cancel symbol. (/)

Either way I can't get into the OS. Man and I was excited too when I saw the thing boot from the DVD, I thought I was in the club for sure.

Hey but if you have your system working I would REALLY appreciate some help/support. Tell me everything i must do, I don't mind starting over, you will help me and many other people with ASRock X58 Extremes out if you have it working. I want to know where I should put the DSDT file you attached, whether it is compatible with my system, and what I should and should not check in the "customize" during installation to make my system work. What more do I need to make it work...and how would I install those things that I need.

My System:
Diablotek 650W PSU
ASRock X58 Extreme Motherboard
i7 920 D0
6GB of G.skill 1600MHz DDR3 RAM
Nvidia GeForce 8600GTS Video Card
I have SATA Hard drives, and one IDE DVD Drive, and one, SATA DVD Drive

I scavenged the SATA drive from an old PC hoping that was the problem but no. PLEASE HELP! I would love to join the club and have mah i7 920 Mac. :]

adriangb
01-27-2010, 11:21 PM
Well I'll start out by assuming the following:

You know how to do a proper install of chameleon
Your BIOS settings are correct (ie, you have your DRAM voltage correct, Speedsteping enabled, your HDDs in AHCI, etc. If you need these I can give them to you.
You have the latest BIOS (1.8 I think)
You are familiar with OS X, terminal, disk utility, etc
Your going to run stock clocks ("Auto") all thru this process, OC later.

So now for the good stuff: I was able to boot using empireEFI, but I now have my own boot CD, if you can't use empireEFI (or have no other way to access OS X) I can give you a copy. It's an iso you can burn from anywhere.
So boot in to OS X and download this bootloader: Booter_AsereBLN_v1.1.7.zip (http://www.efixusers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=693&d=1264026954)
In the .zip you will find the same files as for chameleon. Install them to your drive (you know fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0 & dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXsX). Now restore the disk image I attached at the bottom to your USB drive (or I guess you can restore it to your OS X partition WITHOUT checking "Erase destination", if you must have it on your HDD, but I recommend using a USB, it allows for much greater flexibility).
You should be good to go! Sound won't be working, I had to use VooodooHDA.kext, google it, it's easy to install. I'm missing that, sleep and being able to identify as a Mac Pro 4,1 (2009).
I don't know about your graphics card, or DVD drives (the SATA one should work, but I can't verify that myself). The graphics injection should work, worst case is you use an EFI string (generate it with EFI Studio or OS X86 Tools).
Evreything works for me (except that for some reason my i7 is really hot, it's gets up to 80ēC on stock settings with an Artic Cooling Freezer 7 pro rev 2 while r-encoding or running prime95!) but that's not OS X (it's the same on Windows 7 x64 and the BIOS)
I recommend just for once you watch your BIOS post and boot in verbose.
Feel free to ask any questions!
Links:
Disk Image (http://www.mediafire.com/file/twzwhgnzm2i/EFIUSB.dmg)
Lizard, manage your boot-loader (http://darwinx86.org/software/darwinx86_software.html)

adriangb
01-27-2010, 11:23 PM
The DSDT is very modified, but it should work fine on your setup (I even updated my BIOS and it still works!)

UnretroGamer
01-31-2010, 08:41 PM
dude thanks for everything sorry that it took me forever to respond its that I posted that thinking you would never answer or something. plus i lost the bookmark to this post.

anyways I'm going to try it now, seems a little confusing but if I get lost I will just post my questions here.

I really hope this helps others with the ASRock X58 Extreeme around the internet just as me! Here goes nothing!

adriangb
01-31-2010, 08:59 PM
It's fine, just keep me posted with any trouble/things that are unclear. I'm more than happy to help, it feels good to be on the other side for once ;) .
Just so you know, you shouldn't install the boot-loader to the disk where you have Windows installed (if you do), it will mess up the Windows boot-loader.
I just noticed the commands I posted would put boot0 on disk0, and you want it on your USB drive. There are many guides on this, google them first!
Good luck!

UnretroGamer
01-31-2010, 10:02 PM
no i dont know...lol, this is crazy confusing. Let me tell you what I have:

* I have the Empire EFI v1.085 for Intel Core i7 9xx series.
* I have iAtkos v7 burned on a DVD perfectly, no corruption.
* I have iDeneb 1.6.158 LITE EDITION burned on a DVD perfectly, no corruption.
* I have a 2GB Flash Drive.
* I have the downloaded.
* I have the [Disk Image] downloaded.
* I have the [Lizard, manage your boot-loader] downloaded.
* I [B]DO NOT have a Snow Leopard or Leopard retail disk.

I don't know what to do with all this. Please explain better. You have all the assumptions correct except I do not know how to do a proper install of chameleon.

Let me tell you my problem again, when I install iAtkos or iDeneb 1.6 LITE, After installation, it hangs on the Shiny Apple logo, and the loading circle....it doesn't pass that screen.

Your instructions were a little bit unclear to me.

So I burned the Empire EFI I got, to a DVD and booted from it, I wondered why it was so small and it was that it required a full Retail OSX DVD which I do not have. I was looking for a solution like iAtkos or iDeneb which include the OS. I cannot download the Retail DVD because (1) I do not have Dual Layer burner for such a large file (2) I do not have a 8GB+ Flash Drive and (3) I do not have an external HDD.

So is there any way you can help me with the ones I already downloaded (iAtkos v7 or iDeneb v1.6 LITE EDITION). Also even if I did get into the OS I didn't get the step where you said:

"So boot in to OS X and download this bootloader: Booter_AsereBLN_v1.1.7.zip
In the .zip you will find the same files as for chameleon. Install them to your drive (you know fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0 & dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXsX). Now restore the disk image I attached at the bottom to your USB drive (or I guess you can restore it to your OS X partition WITHOUT checking "Erase destination", if you must have it on your HDD, but I recommend using a USB, it allows for much greater flexibility)."

yeah I didn't get that whole chunk. If you could translate that, it also would be great.

Now what I was thinking was that I can get into OSX with iDeneb or iAtkos when booting from the DVD. It's just that after I go through the installation, my problem was booting from the HDD. But I think that all you need me to do is use the Disk Utility, which I can use before installation when I boot from the DVD. Would that work? Booting from the DVD and just keep doing the steps that you said? Can I install the Booter_AsereBLN_v1.1.7.zip from there, and restore the Disk Image to my OSX partition (since I don't have a big flash drive)?

I also dont get the "fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0 & dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXsX" what do I do with that code, and I also don't know how to "restore" the image to the OSX partition or Flash Drive.

Sorry for being such a n00b but this will help many others just as it will help me. I really appreciate you putting your time into it for me. It is a learning process. :]

UnretroGamer
01-31-2010, 10:14 PM
Oh and I forgot to add one last thing. If I boot with the EmpireEFI. If I remove that DVD and put in lets say an iDeneb or iAtkos DVD (which contain the OS) it says something along the lines of "cannot find mach_kernel" or something like that. I think it was "mach_kernel"....

adriangb
01-31-2010, 10:47 PM
That means it can't find the OS's kernel (named mach_kernel and placed on the root of the DVD/HDD).
I need to ask you a question, do you have any access to a mac? This would make the whole thing much easier. From what I can see in your post you don't. If you dont, please try this:
copy the folder inside of Booter_AsereBLN_v1.1.7.zip to the pen drive (format it as FAT32, so that mac and windows can read it) and copy the contents of the disk image too (the Extra folder is what you need). Now your pen drive should contain two folders, Extra (that you copied from the .dmg), and the extracted Booter_AsereBLN_v1.1.7.zip. Also, copy the entire .dmg just in case
Boot from your iAtkos DVD, and do this: open Disk Utilility, select your pen drive's partition and click the "i" in the toolbar. Take note of your "Disk Identifier" and "Mount Point" . Look at this example:

Name : FLASH DRIVE
Type : Volume

Disk Identifier : disk4s2
Mount Point : /Volumes/FLASH DRIVE
File System : MS-DOS (FAT32)
Connection Bus : USB
etc, etc.
So this case it is disk4s2 and /Volumes/FLASH DRIVE (FLASH DRIVE is the actual name of the partition, not the drive)
Now format your internal HD as GUID with partitions to your liking (at least one HFS+ one for OS X)
Now open terminal and write:
cd /Volumes/(insert your mount point here)/Booter_AsereBLN_v1.1.7/
fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0
dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2
cp boot /
cd /Volumes/(insert your mount point here)/THE FOLDER WITH THE FILES FROM THE .DMG
cp -pR Extra /
Done, now install iAtkos (don't select any options except the base system or whatever it is called). When it is done, try and boot. If it dosen't, try repeating the steps WITHOUT installing iAtkos again (just reboot).
I do recommend you just buy a Snow Leopard DVD for 25$ (if you have a DVD-DL reader).
So I burned the Empire EFI I got, to a DVD and booted from it, I wondered why it was so small and it was that it required a full Retail OSX DVD which I do not have.
Empire EFI is made to be a universal boot CD for most "modern" PC, so that you can just burn it and boot from retail. It contains a boot-loader and a bunch of kexts, that's why it is so small.
Just so you now, if you select a drive in disk utility you get a "restore" tab. This allows you to copy one drive to a other, or a disk image to a drive.

adriangb
01-31-2010, 10:50 PM
The fact that you can't get a retail DVD is a problem. Could you download it -you know from where-, convert it to a read/write dmg and delete languages, printers, etc, etc, and then burn it to a single layer DVD? You wil need a mac to do this (you can always do it in an Apple store) or a bootable install of OS X on your machine, following the steps I gave you should get you there. I think it's a real waste to use iAtkos or iDeneb when you could be running retail, it's so much better. I don't know if installing any one of those without selecting anything except the base system will do the trick, but try it.

UnretroGamer
01-31-2010, 10:58 PM
Thanks, i understand all that. :]

I will try it after I'm done eating, the only hitch I've got is, how do I extract the files from the EFIUSB.dmg? I cannot boot into OSX and don't have access to an OSX device.

Are those the same files as in the "empireefi 1.085" i got from here (http://prasys.co.cc/2010/01/empire-efi-v-1-085-is-out/#more-2411), which is a .zip which contains two iso's, and inside of the iso are three folders: Extra, Post-Installation, usr.

If it is not the same, how do you suggest i get the files out of the "EFIUSB.dmg" you told me to download?

P.S. If you REALLY (and I mean REALLY) need me to get access to a Mac, I have two friends who have Macs.....but they are very possessive of there MacBooks and use them daily...so even if I do get my hands on one it will not be for too long. So it's not like I can stay troubleshooting with you on forums for a whole day or anything like that...

UnretroGamer
01-31-2010, 11:09 PM
I will download the Snow Leopard retail from I know where. But you have to tell me which files I should delete to make it fit on a single DVD, with it still working.

After I will burn the result to a DVD, then just load EmpireEFI, stick in the modified retail Snow Leopard, install, and then reboot.

That would be it am I correct?

Then of course we will work out the nooks and crannys after, like sound, video, etc...

UnretroGamer
02-01-2010, 12:00 AM
Boot from your iAtkos DVD, and do this: open Disk Utilility, select your pen drive's partition and click the "i" in the toolbar. Take note of your "Disk Identifier" and "Mount Point" . Look at this example:

Name : FLASH DRIVE
Type : Volume

Disk Identifier : disk4s2
Mount Point : /Volumes/FLASH DRIVE
File System : MS-DOS (FAT32)
Connection Bus : USB

Under Info it says my Disk Identifier is "disk3s1" and under Mount Point: Not mounted. I tried mounting and it says it cant be, to try runing First Aid on it. I did so and it still could not be mounted. What to do?

I'm pretty sure I formatted it to FAT32 like you said. What should I do reformat it and put the files back on? Or should I uncheck Quick Format and format it as FAT32 withou Quick Format? Or should I just try to format it as a different type?

adriangb
02-01-2010, 12:12 AM
I will download the Snow Leopard retail from I know where. But you have to tell me which files I should delete to make it fit on a single DVD, with it still working.

After I will burn the result to a DVD, then just load EmpireEFI, stick in the modified retail Snow Leopard, install, and then reboot.

That would be it am I correct?

Then of course we will work out the nooks and crannys after, like sound, video, etc...
Look at post #21 http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=452036 You should delete all packages from /Volumes/Your mounted r/w disc image/System/Installation/Packages/ except the ones it says to install in that post. That will give you a basic install of OS X. Note that you must keep all the ones labled OSInstall... What you are getting rid of is printer drivers, additional languages, and some other stuff.
The files on the .dmg I gave you are not the same as EmpireEFI. These are made specifically for the ASRock x58 Extreme w/ a core i7 920. This translates to faster boot times, a more vanilla install and evreything just "working better". If you can wait, I'll reboot into OS X (installing games on windows right now, lol) and save those files to a .zip, so that you can open them in windows.

adriangb
02-01-2010, 12:13 AM
Under Info it says my Disk Identifier is "disk3s1" and under Mount Point: Not mounted. I tried mounting and it says it cant be, to try runing First Aid on it. I did so and it still could not be mounted. What to do?

I'm pretty sure I formatted it to FAT32 like you said. What should I do reformat it and put the files back on? Or should I uncheck Quick Format and format it as FAT32 withou Quick Format? Or should I just try to format it as a different type?
I don't know how you formated it with Windows, but just to be on the safe side do it in Disk Utility, then recopy those files from windows.

UnretroGamer
02-01-2010, 01:42 AM
I don't know how you formated it with Windows, but just to be on the safe side do it in Disk Utility, then recopy those files from windows.

When in Disk Utility, what should I format it as to Enable it to be mounted but still be able to copy files to it from Windows?

adriangb
02-01-2010, 02:01 AM
You want Master Boot Record (MBR) and MS-DOS (FAT)

adriangb
02-11-2010, 03:19 AM
Hey, I fixed up my DSDT a lot (it was a mess of useless fixes and warnings...). So here is the "cleaner" version, also with correct CPU info. AppleLPC now loads and there are no _CST evaluation errors, but S3 sleep doesn't work for me, but since it wont work in Windows 7 either, I suppose this is OS independent. The only thing I can mange to guess is that the P-States are motherboard independent (they are processor related), but the C-States are not therefore the code I copied is "approved" by OS X, but since it is not correct for our board it won't sleep right. If this where the case, I guess we would have to get the correct info from the SSDT, but just looking at it didn't give me any clue as to how to do this. All that still doesn't explain why Windows acts similarly (Windows won't turn off the fans or MB at least, but OS X will make y debug LED display 03 when I try to wake), but hey, coincidence exists, right?
Anyways, I hope sleep does work for all of you, since I think this is the last "big" problem we have.
Oh, and by the way, this is for BIOS version 1.9, but I checked not not much code has changed in the DSDT since 1.8, so I guess it should work too if you don't want to update.

UnretroGamer
02-15-2010, 03:49 AM
Hey I'm back after a while. I have been working on school very diligently (still have to actually) we never did get that thing solved...I'm still where I left off because my windows HDD(160GB) is packed to the brim.. I don't have enough space to download OSX. My secondary HDD (160GB) is empty but I'm saving it just for OSX...... I will see If I can just partition the secondary for enough space to download leopard, then burn it, strip it to fit it to a DVD, and install like a retail via Empire EFI....when I can

adriangb
02-15-2010, 03:55 AM
Put it on the second partition, and make the first one (well, second counting the EFI partition) something like 100GB, so that you have 60 left to work with (more than enough). Once you've installed OS X on the first partition, you can delete the second one.

adriangb
02-16-2010, 03:15 AM
Hi!
I'm pleased to announce that I got HD audio (non vooodo) working 100%!
Just use the attached DSDT and LegacyAppleHDA

joeboxer
02-21-2010, 05:52 PM
Great! Do you think I can use your DSDT for my system? The only difference is the Graphic card, s I have the 9500GT. Thanks!

adriangb
02-21-2010, 07:54 PM
Yes, you should be able to use it without problems. You'll need to use GraphicEnabler=Yes or an EFI string.

joeboxer
02-22-2010, 01:48 PM
"You'll need to use GraphicEnabler=Yes or an EFI string."
how you suggest to do that?

Can you please post your spec? I actually use iAtkos v7 with asrock X58 extreme, i7 920, 9500GT.
I'm trying with Snow, do you have any suggestion?
Again thanks.

adriangb
02-22-2010, 09:04 PM
My specs? Well, ASRock x58 Extreme obviously, Core i7 920, PNY GeForce 9800 GT, Dlink DWA-556 and XClio case. What do you want them for? The only thing in the DSDT should be the motherboard and processor.

joeboxer
02-23-2010, 05:55 AM
Hi. Actually no way for me to use snowleopard, i can only start with iAtkos x.5.7 with one core only. In order to have all cores working I have deleted alias from my DSDT but I was able to start one time only with all 8 cores enabled. Can you suggest an online guide for snow 10.6.2?
Again thanks

adriangb
02-23-2010, 05:34 PM
Just use my DSDT. There are no guides for the x58 Extreme. Try setting the active procesors to 1 in the BIOS to boot.

Hob Hayward
02-27-2010, 09:43 PM
Hi all, I tried back over the summer to get osx working on asrock x58 extreme, i7 920 system. I can reliably install iatkos v7, and boot as long as cpus=1 busratio=20, however I gave up after that, because I couldnt't get a different dsdt.aml to work, or allow me to boot with everything enabled. My win7 rc1 expires in 2 days and being a poor college student I figured I give osx a shot for the time being. I have ubuntu on here aswell at the moment, and a laptop with xp, ubuntu and kalyway 10.5.7 aswell, along with plenty of friends with macbooks etc.

I tried the dsdt.aml that you linked to in your first post adriangb at some point a while ago when I tried to get osx to work, but I must have been doing something wrong. If you could tell me how to install the dsdt.aml properly that would be amazing (assuming it would work with iatkos?). Thanks!

gfx are radeon 4890, 3x2gb ocz platinum 1600.

adriangb
02-28-2010, 01:27 AM
There are plenty of guides on installing DSDT's, the general procedure is to put it in (your Chaemaleon partition)/Extra/DSDT.aml.
Use the one in this link (and the kext if you want audio, remember to use the needed kexts for the board, fakesmc, JmicronATA, etc): http://www.infinitemac.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1100&d=1266286201

joeboxer
02-28-2010, 11:11 AM
Adriangb, can you write a list of all kext for our board?
Concerning the DSDT.aml actually I use DSDTSE ver.1.2. The point is that I'm not sure if that progr install the DSDT in the extra folder of Chameleon or just in the root.

adriangb
02-28-2010, 03:19 PM
It depends where you set it in your com.apple.boot.plist (DSDT=/Extra/DSDT.aml).
I use a folder with my current kexts and only a mkext on my usb drive, and that's all I have now (I don't know if I posted it on this thread, but I'm in the middle of a trip), so I would have to unpack it, and for some reason mkext tool won't do it. I'll try with mkextunpack and report back.
Nope, won't work either. I'd have to look at that folder, sorry guys!
The ones I think I remember are:
http://www.kexts.com/view/9-fix_for_orange_icons_(snow_leopard).html
http://www.kexts.com/view/161-fakesmc_version_2.5.html
http://www.kexts.com/view/14-jmicronata.html (I don't know if everyone needs this, I do. but I got it from the empire efi CD, I don't know if this one will work)
That should do the basic.
Obviously this is with a modified DSDT

Hob Hayward
02-28-2010, 10:41 PM
Thanks adriangb! So are you using empire efi or chameleon?

I also remember I selected a jmicron driver, along with a number of others from the iatkos install cd.

adriangb
02-28-2010, 10:52 PM
Empire EFI is basically a modified Chameleon (using PC EFI if I'm not mistaken) and a bunch of kexts. It's designed to work on all systems, but not necessarily well.
So the answer is, no one should be using Empire EFI as a main boot-loader, only to install OS X. I use aserebln's modified Chameleon 2 RC4 (v1.1.9).
Make a other bootable drive and then try eliminating kext one by one from your current kext folder, and if you cant boot, use the other drive to restore the last one :)

bigmac
03-01-2010, 07:49 PM
Hi.
First thx for the help so far. I play around with the same board and similar config... ati 4870 in my case.
however, is it possible to post the bios settings? (version 1.9 is installed)
i'm just not sure what to enable or disable and a "running setting" would be nice.

so far thx again,
bigmac

edit:
... no one should be using Empire EFI as a main boot-loader, only to install OS X ...
that is what i try right now. which version of empire efi could you recommend? ... i tried 1.08 for i5 and 1.02(1.04?) for x58 / i7 so far ... but it seems that the installer doesn't load. or does this take a couple hours?
thx
edit2: changed rebel to empire, was a mistake. will try that later... thx again for the download.

adriangb
03-02-2010, 10:33 AM
Don't confuse Empire EFI with Rebel EFI. Rebel EFI is a rip off that uses other peoples work. Empire EFI is open, free and it credits the contributers.
I think I originally used 1.085, but the newest version should be fine (or better). Get it from prasys.co.cc.
I think it boots in verbose, so after you select the OS X disc, you should see some lines of text for 7 minutes -at most- and then the installer should show (if it doesn't, post the text it shows here and I'll have a look at it). Alternatively, you could try the disc image I think posted on this thread. If you don't have a mac you can restore it to a USB drive at a Apple store or something.
I would say this is what you want: http://www.mediafire.com/?g2kznm0dxgz

bigmac
03-02-2010, 05:42 PM
Hi again.
I've burned 1.085 to CD... bootet PC and inserted empire efi than switched to SL Install DVD. First interaction was:
"Starting Darwin x86
press any key to continue..." -> now i get the console output on my screen.

first crash of the process was:
virtual bool IOHIDEventSystemUserClient::initWithTask ... not priviliged to open IOHIDSystem for mapping memory.

second crash was:
i didn't write it down but it was at the recognition of the ethernet card i guess (realteak ethernet someting)

third crash was:
again like first one. and after a while:
serialATAPI device reconfiguration did not complete successfully. (failedCommandInfo = 0x1)
... drive has stopped responding... disk1s3: media is not present

i suspect my sata dvd rom as defect. i tried to make a 2 paritioned usb stick with empire efi and snow leo dvd on it without success (as seen here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0o4KfcTaRo&feature=player_embedded# ) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0o4KfcTaRo&feature=player_embedded#)

i have access to a macbook, but i can't get my hackintosh pro running :(

thx again

edit:
i tried a different dvd, samsung sata dvd with the result
EBIOS read error: Error 0xbb
Block 0x0 Sectors 0
in the Empire EFI BIOS "switch to snow leo dvd" screen.

edit2:
i found another tutorial for a bootable usb / snow leo stick. especially because of the section about the dsdt file i think i didn't understand everything correct by now... so, i have to create for my system a specific boot envrionment to install snow leo? this includest especially the dsdt file, right?
thx

adriangb
03-03-2010, 07:37 AM
If you have a mac book, you could even create a USB boot drive that is specific for your system before you even install OS X. A key component in this is the DSDT file. The errors you got with the DVD's seem quite "random" (I mean to say I don't think they are related to OS X itself, they'r probably BIOS settings or hardware problems. A "easy" check is to burn some Linux distro live CD, and try to boot it. If it does boot, then it means that OS X should boot on that hardware. This doesn't cover BIOS settings thou, since Linux is less restrictive than OS X on that front.
What have you set in your BIOS? Can you post a shot of every screen?
If it could help you, I can post a image of my most current USB drive -which I haven't used for a while, but should work anyways- so that you can know what the problem is (meaning if it is related to Chameleon).
I seem to remember I had that EBIOS read error when I tried to use a DVD-DL OS X DVD on a single layer IDE drive. At the moment I thought maybe it meant that OS X couldn't continue to load from that drive since later on it can't read it (my IDE drives don't work).
Hey, here is a zip file (I recently noticed that disc images aren't better since they don't copy boot0 and boot1h they don't serve there purpose -and maybe that is why UnRetroGamer didn't get anywhere :(, sorry I'm new at this too), so once you have installed boot0 and boot1h, then just extract this zip onto your drive.
Why is the archive in a 7z, inside a .zip ? Because a plain old ZIP was 1.50MB and that's the limit for infinitemac (it was probably 500B over or something crazy like that!). So use peazip or something to extract it.

bigmac
03-03-2010, 05:36 PM
hi again.
i tried what you said but it seems that i am too stupid...

i now try the usb tutorial here:
http://prasys.co.cc/2009/08/installing-snow-leopard-for-osx86/ (atm recover dvd image to usb partition which takes as mac os x says 16 hours ? (i unchecked erase partition because of tutorial) ... macbook pro with ssd drive and a supertalent 8 gig usb stick)

and i try around with my bios settings... will shoot photos later and paste them here.

greets
bigmac

edit:
i now tried with "myhack 1.0 final" ... resulting in kernel panic
here are my bios settings http://gallery.me.com/raesener/100019
user: hackintosh
pass: bigmac

thx so far

adriangb
03-04-2010, 11:46 AM
Try this: plug your HDD's into SATA 1&2 (maybe I'm just paranoid, and think that everything can go wrong?) and the DVD into 3. Then set C-States to C6 and cores to All and activate EHS. Then try to boot with Empire EFI.
Edit: My kexts are
fakesmc (because we all need it)
IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector (orange icon fix)
IONetworkingFamily (for RealtekR100 dependencies)
JMicronATA (?? SATA or my IDE drives, I get a KP without it)
LegacyHDA (for ALC890 HDA audio)
RealtekR100 (for ethernet).
So it would seem that fakesmc and JMicronATA would suffice for booting.

bigmac
03-04-2010, 12:13 PM
thx for the answer. will check that later and edit this post... about 3 pm [mest + 1 (berlin) (i hope it's +1 ^^)]

ok, i tried with cd boot with no success and now i try again with usb stick... can't find mach_kernel at the moment

adriangb
03-04-2010, 12:19 PM
If you'r in Berlin I guess we aren't that far off (in time that is), I'm in UK now (and that's why I can't be of much help).

bigmac
03-04-2010, 04:05 PM
hi again,

ok, i tried with cd boot with no success and now i try again with usb stick... can't find mach_kernel at the moment...

i'm from mannheim btw ... but time is like in berlin ^^

edit:
i editet boot.plist to -> hd(0,2) mach_kernel ... now it boots from install dvd i guess ... currently at "System uptime in nanoseconds: ... " --- seems like a crash, but i hope i'm wrong ^^
-> ok, that's a kernel panic in text mode ^^

edit2:
i think somehow my mainboard is broken ... :) ... maybe i try a new asrock or maybe a more compatible one... is there one?

adriangb
03-04-2010, 10:09 PM
Have you tried Windows/Linux? If those don't work either, that yes, it's probably the motherboard.
It should never be hd(0,2) mach_kernel using a USB stick with Chameleon, unless the kernel is on the same partition as OS X. Chameleon sees it's own disk as 1, so the disk listed as disk0 in disk utility is hd(0 in Chameleon.
Is the KP the same one?

bigmac
03-04-2010, 10:55 PM
hi...
yes win7 x64 did run well ... though some installation issues with a raid card; so normally the board should be ok. but, after a "soft off" the bios doesn't boots correctly and there is no video output. if i pull off the power cord and put it back into the power supply the pc starts correctly. so one out of these two components is defect i guess... however i maybe change the board tomorrow, but first i would like to try exactly your bios settings if this is possible...

or someone else reading haz a asrock x58 extreme?

the hd(0,2) error was with a selfmade bootstick with one gpt partition. i'm still confused what really is necessary and what are the steps to make a good mac-os-install-usb-stick.

but, it seems that the KP has to do with the radeon 4870. netkas.org seems to be the right point of informations about snow leopard and radeon cards, but i'm still not sure what to do. there is a guide which tells me to set -x flag oder -pci0 flag, but still same KP.

so long. thx for staying with me

edit: -x means boot in safe mode. didn't help me woth several versions of empire efi (including legacy 1.085 f.e.)

adriangb
03-05-2010, 11:12 AM
hi...
yes win7 x64 did run well ... though some installation issues with a raid card; so normally the board should be ok. but, after a "soft off" the bios doesn't boots correctly and there is no video output. if i pull off the power cord and put it back into the power supply the pc starts correctly. so one out of these two components is defect i guess... however i maybe change the board tomorrow, but first i would like to try exactly your bios settings if this is possible...

or someone else reading haz a asrock x58 extreme?

the hd(0,2) error was with a selfmade bootstick with one gpt partition. i'm still confused what really is necessary and what are the steps to make a good mac-os-install-usb-stick.

but, it seems that the KP has to do with the radeon 4870. netkas.org seems to be the right point of informations about snow leopard and radeon cards, but i'm still not sure what to do. there is a guide which tells me to set -x flag oder -pci0 flag, but still same KP.

so long. thx for staying with me
Yeah, sorry I can't help :( . I deffinetly should write that guide, so many people seem to fail, and it's beacouse of what a bad "helper" I am. I'm more of a "hands on the problem" guy, so maybe it's that... oh well, good luck with your RMA (I had to do one my self, and it's no where near as bad as I expected!

bigmac
03-05-2010, 12:00 PM
:) ... no no, you're a good helper.
i try a different grafics card today and maybe tomorrow change the mainboard.

thx so far, will post my results.

edit:
changed radeon 4870 to a geforce 6200 ... boots fine and installation fails at the end. (seems normal that there is a error message at the end of the installation process ... system boots :) )

so for my understanding: you have a usb boot stick to boot your OS with the dsdt file etc on it?

bigmac
03-06-2010, 05:22 PM
Hi again,

finally my system works. i changed the ati radeon 4870 to a geforce gts250. Thanks to you, adriangb, i have sound too ;)

hardware:
asrock x58 extreme
core i7 920
6 gig ddr3 ram
geforce gts250
2 * sata raptor 10000rpm
LG dvd burner (sata)

BIOS Settings:
everything to AHCI, disable eSATA
CPU Config, everything enabled, C6 State, Version 1.9

what i've did:
1. burn Empire EFI 1.08 i5/i7 CD
2. Change CD to Leopard Install DVD
3. Installation complete and reboot (with Empire EFI)
4. Install Updates to 10.6.2 (via USB Stick) and reboot (empire efi again)
5. install myHack 1.0 Final Release with default settings
6. change com.Apple.Boot.plist in /Extras entry: PciRoot from 1 to 0
7. get archive.zip from adriangb and copy dsdt.aml to /Extras and kext to /Extras/Extensions
8. download, install and use pfix 3.0 from same homepage where myHack is from
9. reboot & done

niiiiiiiiiiice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

adriangb
03-07-2010, 03:05 PM
I'm happy to see you got everything working :)

bigmac
03-08-2010, 10:32 PM
hi again,

did you get managed to get speedstep and standby working? and can you maybe upload your uncompiled dsdt file that i can play a little bit with it?

thx in advance

ps: performance is great... for example from local raid 0 (2 * 74gb raptor) it plays smoothly 10 movie trailers in 1080p simultaneously :)

adriangb
03-09-2010, 12:04 AM
Speedstep yes, sleep no. Can't you uncompile it yourself? I don't have my DSDT with me, and I wont until I get my pen drive and own computer with iasl (tomorrow). And I can't test if it uncompiled well or anything!
Sorry.

bigmac
03-09-2010, 09:19 AM
hi. ok, i didn't know that is possible ... i've read that but i thought that is a kind of reverse engineering and a point of failure.

is the version i use of your dsdt already with speedstep support?

btw: i'm totally patient right now ... so i really can wait until you have again access to your system :)

adriangb
03-09-2010, 04:19 PM
I don't know what version you'r using, but use MSRTools to check.

bigmac
03-09-2010, 05:07 PM
yes ok, thought this might not be possible... but i'm patient in this case, the system itself runs so i'm un no stress ^^

thx anyway

adriangb
03-09-2010, 08:54 PM
yes ok, thought this might not be possible
What might not be possible? Checking speed-stepping with MSRTools?
Or uncomplying? As far as I know you can just download http://www.osx86.es/Archivos/DSDTSE.zip and open DSDT.aml's with that.

bigmac
03-10-2010, 04:19 PM
i've ment the decompiling ... but i'll give it a try...
thx again ^^

roi
03-12-2010, 06:23 AM
I've been struggling for days trying to get MAC OS X to start working by playing around iAtkos v7 and all those snazzy softwares. None of them ever worked for me because I always end up in Kernal Panic. :[

I stumbled upon this post today hoping that this will definitely help me out because of the similar motherboard.

You should totally make a simple step by step tutorial for all the ASRock x58 Extreme Motherboard users out there! You'll be my hero haha

adriangb
03-12-2010, 11:40 AM
As I said, I will, but since the secret is in the DSDT edits, I'd have to "retrace" my steps, trying to "guess" all the changes I've made!

joeboxer
03-16-2010, 12:04 PM
Hi there.
I have finally a S.L. X.6.2 installation on my second drive. Sound is working and also wifi is recognized.
My only BIG problem is that I need to use the Empire efi CD, without no way to boot.

My step by step install from the first X.5.8 drive:

1- Guid partition with Disk utility
2- Snowleopard install from a .dmg
3- Boot with Empire efi i5
4- My hack 1.0
5- Adriangb DSDT on the Extra folder and some kext
6- Pfix 3.0

After that I have a working system, I just need the video kext but I'm sure that the Natit.kext is what my Nvidia need for working.

About the boot.plist I'm not sure I have the right one, or I maybe need to change some thing.
Thank you for any help.

joeboxer
03-16-2010, 05:11 PM
Adriangb

definitely, can you post again your Extra folder?
I think the only two differences from your configuration, are video and Wifi.
Anyway thank you for your helps!

Stephen.Eidson
03-19-2010, 04:54 PM
As others have said, great thread. I've got the ASRock X58 Extreme / i7 920 combo like the rest of you.

I've been messing with this for a couple of weeks and have learned a lot, but I still don't have a working rig. Taking all of what I've just read into mind, though, I think I should be able to use adriangb's dsdt file with myHack to give it another shot today.

With the dsdt file, I've looked at it with DSDTE but I really have no idea what I'm looking at. It should basically work me, but I'm wondering about my Graphics card. How can I insert the EFI string for it? The graphics card is a BFG 8800 GTS.

Right now I'm running 1.8 BIOS because I simply cannot update using InstantFlash. I've formatted my thumbdrive with FAT32 like ASRock recommends, but InstantFlash refuses to recognize the 1.9 update file. I'll try to send a problem report to ASRock to see if they can suggest anything.

What has been decided are the best BIOS settings? Adriangb, would you mind taking photos of each BIOS page? That would be really beneficial.

And, Joeboxer, you might be able to use the Lifehacker Snow Leopard Guide (http://lifehacker.com/5351485/how-to-build-a-hackintosh-with-snow-leopard-start-to-finish) as an idea for booting without Empire. Specifically, the last paragraph:

As things stand on your system right now, you need to have your thumb drive plugged in every time you reboot in order to load the bootloader that allows your Hackintosh to load OS X. There are certain benefits to this (for example, right now you could quite likely unplug this hard drive from your Hackintosh, plug it into a Mac Pro, and it would work just fine), but it can also be a bit of a hassle. At this point, though, you can load the bootloader and other necessary components onto the Snow Leopard hard drive and change that drive to your primary boot drive in your BIOS. All you've got to do is head back to the step-by-step bootloader guide (http://lifehacker.com/5351485/how-to-build-a-hackintosh-with-snow-leopard-start-to-finish#bootloader_guide) above and repeat every step, except this time you're applying each step to your hard drive rather than your thumb drive.

Stephen.Eidson
03-19-2010, 05:18 PM
Also, adriangb, you said your CPU was running really hot... Did you ever resolve that? If you're not running it, you might want to check out NullCPUPowerManagement.kext (http://osx86.sojugarden.com/files/Extensions/NullCPUPowerManagement.kext.zip). I've downloaded it from the myHack download page (http://osx86.sojugarden.com/downloads/), and they have this to say about it:Disables AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext – this extension is required until you have built a proper dsdt for your system. Without this or the dsdt your system will not boot (kernel panic). IMPORTANT NOTE: It is suggested that everyone use this kext for now even if your system runs fine without it. There is an unresolved issue with the way AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext handles HPET on non-apple hardware that causes the CPU to run much hotter than normal.

adriangb
03-19-2010, 09:06 PM
you said your CPU was running really hot... Did you ever resolve that? If you're not running it, you might want to check out NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
What that kext does is it returns power manegment to the BIOS. I have resolved the temperature issue: without NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and OS X native power manegment I get the same temps as in Windows 7. I do however get +10ēC if I use MacPro4,1 (which is a common problem, and althou there are some fixes, I haven't tried them).
So no, the answer is NullCPUPowerManagement.kext is no use to us since we already have native power manegment for our board.

joeboxer
03-20-2010, 10:56 AM
Stephen.Eidson thank you for the help, actually I have some trouble with the boot.plist file, I think my need some more command.
Best

adriangb
03-20-2010, 03:24 PM
com.apple.boot.plist and NullCPUPowerManagement.kext are unrelated, but if you post your com.apple.boot.plist I'll be glad to se if I can find any obvious errors.
It might help if you point out what problems you think you have.

adriangb
03-22-2010, 12:15 PM
Could any of you post the SSDT's for out motherboard? I'm trying to work on sleep, but it's hard without my rig.
You can get them using DSDTSE.

joeboxer
03-22-2010, 12:42 PM
That's my com.apple.boot.plist

joeboxer
03-22-2010, 12:45 PM
try again, sorry

adriangb
03-22-2010, 01:45 PM
Well, for starters why did you put all the GPU info like that? Why not just use GraphicsEnabler or a regular hex string? I'd remove busratio=20 if you have native power management (it shouldn't be needed), and try booting with -x32 in case there are some kexts that are 32bit only. If you use AsereBLN's booter there is no need to use boot-uuid=613727BA-68E6-3459-AAC0-852C47FF8A45.
What I see that could be a major problem is that there is no DSDT or SMBIOS specified, these two are needed to boot OS X right.
What boot-loader are you using?

joeboxer
03-22-2010, 02:43 PM
Hi
well, I can boot with the Empire EFI CD only.
It's possible for you to adjust the .plist so that I can just use?

I do not know AsereBLN's booter.
If you have any suggstion is welcome.

adriangb
03-23-2010, 12:12 AM
No, there is no "correct" playlist, it all depends on what boot-loader, kexts, etc you use (so I'd have to "guess" your setup). Do you have chameleon on a USB drive? If you do, just send me a copy of that and your chameleon files (or version at least) and I'll get it going (or at least I'll try). Or you can just use an installer and files I can give you.
AsereBLN's booter is a modified chameleon RC4, which is supposed to have cleaner code (I haven't looked at it thou), has no embedded theme (and therefore should load faster), and has other fixes like restart, UUID and memory detection, etc. If you haven't, you should give it a try.

joeboxer
03-23-2010, 09:05 AM
There is a way to rebuild a new .plist? That's because i have accidentally deleted the original one. At the moment my config is X58 with Chameleon 2 on a first drive. On the second I have X.6.2 but i can boot with the Empire CD inside only. Concerning AsereBLN I have the files, I have no idea to install. I have lizard 0.60 but no way. Thanks

adriangb
03-23-2010, 12:51 PM
Are Leopard and Snow leopard are on separate drives or partitions?

joeboxer
03-23-2010, 03:57 PM
Two separate drive 500

joeboxer
03-23-2010, 06:42 PM
Adriangb, I have re-write a new com.apple.Boot.plist file, as you can see from the attached file. But at the boot, off course I need some kind of bootloader. How to proceed in order to boot with out the Empire CD? Or: how to install ASERE BLN? I have the 1.1.8 version.

adriangb
03-24-2010, 01:10 AM
I think that's my com.apple.boot.plist ;) . If you need to re-write it "like that one" why not use that one?
Download this package http://www.tonymacx86.com/Public/Chameleon%20RC4-AsereBLN-1.1.9.zip and select your snow leopard disk (partition) and install. ATENTION: IF YOU HAVE A OTHER OS (LIKE LEOPARD OR WINDOWS) ON THAT DRIVE IT WILL BE MODIFIED AND YOU PROBABLY WONT BE ABLE TO BOOT IT!
Then put a "good" DSDT in and the right kexts and your ready to go!

joeboxer
03-24-2010, 04:17 PM
Hi adrian,
now I have a new interesting situation.
After soo many try, i have bee able to boot my X.6.2 using chameleon rc4.
But only if at the boot I promt: cpus=1 busratio=20 arch=i386.

The boot process is very speedy, about 8-10 seconds. Off course I have only one core enabled, but I have:

- full working bluetooth (USB)
- full working airport extreme WiFi (Dlink 547)
- full working Nvidia 9500 GT
- monitor recognised (Eizo CG19)

And finally.. sleep just work!

Now, I have to understand so many things that maybe is too much for me, but I hope to learn a bit this setup.

Adriangb, now I surely try to install AsereBLN 1.1.9, and I let you know.

adriangb
03-24-2010, 04:35 PM
cpus=1 busratio=20 has a very easy DSDT fix.
If you don't want to mess with DSDT, you can use mine or use DSDTSE. All you have to do is transform Scope (_PR) into something like this:
Scope (_PR)
{
Processor (P001, 0x01, 0x00000810, 0x06) {}
Processor (P002, 0x02, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Processor (P003, 0x03, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Processor (P004, 0x04, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Processor (P005, 0x05, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Processor (P006, 0x06, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Processor (P007, 0x07, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Processor (P008, 0x08, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
}
All you have to do is delete all the lines that start with "Alias" in that section.
Ex: "Alias (P002, CPU2)"
If there are other lines:
Processor (P010, 0x0A, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Processor (P011, 0x0B, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Processor (P012, 0x0C, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Processor (P013, 0x0D, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Processor (P014, 0x0E, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Processor (P015, 0x0F, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Processor (P016, 0x10, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Leave them there. If you want to delete them, it should be harmless but I'd leave it like this:
Scope (_PR)
{
Processor (P001, 0x01, 0x00000810, 0x06) {}
Processor (P002, 0x02, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Processor (P003, 0x03, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Processor (P004, 0x04, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Processor (P005, 0x05, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Processor (P006, 0x06, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Processor (P007, 0x07, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Processor (P008, 0x08, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Processor (P009, 0x09, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Processor (P010, 0x0A, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Processor (P011, 0x0B, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Processor (P012, 0x0C, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Processor (P013, 0x0D, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Processor (P014, 0x0E, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Processor (P015, 0x0F, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Processor (P016, 0x10, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
}

joeboxer
03-24-2010, 04:45 PM
Ok, about DSDT I have your with out CPU alias.
Now, after Asere BLN119 install, I have the same situation as before. I post the picture, maybe you understand better than me..

adriangb
03-24-2010, 05:10 PM
Ok, I've heard of that error with aserebln's booter.
Did you get that before with Chameleon RC4 or is it new?
What kexts are you using?

joeboxer
03-24-2010, 07:44 PM
I get that error with all asereBLN boot-loaders, but chameleon.
About kext I have only the 4 kext you suggest.
In order to boot without prompt cpus=1 ecc.. can I put some text in the boot.plist?
Thanks

adriangb
03-25-2010, 01:02 AM
I get that error with all asereBLN boot-loaders, but chameleon.
I'll interpret that as "I don't get it with plain Chameleon" ;).
You can't fix that with the com.apple.boot.plist, it must go in the DSDT.

adriangb
03-25-2010, 01:24 AM
As others have said, great thread. I've got the ASRock X58 Extreme / i7 920 combo like the rest of you.

I've been messing with this for a couple of weeks and have learned a lot, but I still don't have a working rig. Taking all of what I've just read into mind, though, I think I should be able to use adriangb's dsdt file with myHack to give it another shot today.

With the dsdt file, I've looked at it with DSDTE but I really have no idea what I'm looking at. It should basically work me, but I'm wondering about my Graphics card. How can I insert the EFI string for it? The graphics card is a BFG 8800 GTS.

Right now I'm running 1.8 BIOS because I simply cannot update using InstantFlash. I've formatted my thumbdrive with FAT32 like ASRock recommends, but InstantFlash refuses to recognize the 1.9 update file. I'll try to send a problem report to ASRock to see if they can suggest anything.

What has been decided are the best BIOS settings? Adriangb, would you mind taking photos of each BIOS page? That would be really beneficial.

And, Joeboxer, you might be able to use the Lifehacker Snow Leopard Guide (http://lifehacker.com/5351485/how-to-build-a-hackintosh-with-snow-leopard-start-to-finish) as an idea for booting without Empire. Specifically, the last paragraph:

Hey Stephen, I'm really sorry I never responded to this post -I think. I guess I just missed it.

How can I insert the EFI string for it? The graphics card is a BFG 8800 GTS.
Put GraphicsEnabler=yes into the com.apple.boot.plist. If that doesn't work I'll give you a EFI string, but I need to know if you have the G80 640MB model, the G80 320 or the G92 512MB.

Right now I'm running 1.8 BIOS
Have you tried the Windows updater, if you have windows? That should be easier than the DOS based one. BIOS 2 is out, try that.

I would love to! It's easy for me, and great for you, but unfortunately I can't use my rig now (I got back, but my crappy CoolMax PSU burnt it out! I got replacements, but I still need a new PSU, and living in South America and all I cant just stroll out to MicroCenter and buy one (if I even had the cash, donations accepted gladly ;) ).

joeboxer
04-08-2010, 09:17 PM
Hi there,
just to report that I'm on a working X.6.3.

I have followed a different way, using the EFI partition as boot.
I have used the terminal just to mount the EFI on the desktop, than every files manually.
I think this Munky can be still interesting, even if he deprecated the method.
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=127330

At the moment, I have no audio & no sleep, but with some free day I hope to have soon all working.
Just 3 kext on the extra folder: fakesmc, IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector & JMicronATA.
The dsdt from adriangb and that's all.

My only (BIG) problem is the incompatibility between my PCI atheros based wifi card (dlink DWA-547) and the core i7 cpu.

The card work perfectly only if I boot with cpus=1, one core only.
This problem is very common on Atheros / core i5 or i7 users.
The point is the IO80211family.kext. Only the last version from 3.0 to 3.1 work with snow, but not with all core enabled.

Help is welcome!

adriangb
04-09-2010, 01:54 AM
What you say about the atheros card an i7's is interesting: I used to have trouble connecting to a network with mine.
Ah, people, it appears that even if using a other persons DSDT might work, it is not ideal as the DSDT may contain calls to RAM addresses that might exist on a board with 6GB but not with 2GB, for example. So to make things short, using someone else's DSDT is OK but you can expect errors or more frequent KP, so it's best to build your own with tutorials.
I've been working on sleep, and with the little understanding I have I think that the two basic things are C-States and S-States in the DSDT. S-States are there, and should be functional, but C-States on the other hand must me extracted in conjunction with P-States and whatnot, modified and only then inserted in the DSDT. I have made a DSDT that compiles, just for the fun of it, but when I do get my rig again (tomorrow, I hope!) I'll build one ground up and a tutorial. If I do make progress with sleep to work, I may delay it until I can do it all at once (with sleep).

joeboxer
04-09-2010, 07:43 AM
Adriangb
thank you for your work, waiting for your sleep progress and dsdt-tutorial.

Concerning atheros the problem is that is some way the IO80211family.kext do not accept multicore (or multithread) as the new cpu's do. I'm not able to find where to look inside the kext, but for sure here is the place where to look.

But, how you can do all your work with out psu? Do you buy a new one ??

adriangb
04-09-2010, 01:22 PM
Na, I had a cheap CoolMax one that went out one day and took all but my CPU with it. Serves me luck, for buying a cheapy brand like that. Luckily I was able to get replacements for evereything, and got a refund on my PSU. Now I got a OCZ, which I trust much more.
I didn't do any work without a PSU, the sleep stuff I did over email with a "victim", who did all the testing and dumping for me (great guy, he deserves a medal).
The atheros kext problem may be because new mac's lack atheros cards (they use brodcom) and therefore it hasn't been updated.

joeboxer
04-09-2010, 06:59 PM
ok, understand
for atheros I have read about new iMacs with i7, they have also some problem, so let's hope in some solution, as it's very frustrating boot with one core only... with this machine.

joeboxer
04-10-2010, 07:46 AM
Restart and shutdown fixed, I'm still not understand why my audio do not work, with Hda enabler and legacy HDA... ?!

by the way, I can use the system even if, the 2 BIG not solved problems are: WiFi (only one core working) and Sleep.

Actually I have cloned my first sata in order to have 2 startup disk with 2 different boot.plist, one with arch=1386 and cpus=1 in order to surf, the second with all cores enabled.

Need time to test again...

joeboxer
04-16-2010, 08:53 AM
hi adriangb, i have now all working in 64bit with x.6.3.
But, audio do not work.. even if i put your attached files: DSDT and LegacyAppleHDA. Off course I have HDA enabler also. Why ???

For the atheros - i7 problem, I have connected my fonera with ddwrt in ethernet, the fonera is setted as client, so it's like a wireless card.
I can now drop the DLink dwa-547 atheros based, waiting some good news on this topic.

For the rest, all work great :D eccept audio and sleep.

Restart, shutdown, 64bit boot, time machine ecc.. geekbench is about 8000!

adriangb
04-16-2010, 02:09 PM
If you use my DSDT fix, you DONT NEED HDAENABLER. Actually, it will make the whole thing not work.

joeboxer
04-16-2010, 02:29 PM
Ok, can you please confirm what kext I need for audio? LegacyHDA, LegacyAppleHDA or some other? Thank you.

adriangb
04-16-2010, 02:35 PM
The DSDT edit and the kext I uploaded some time ago... an ONLY that. What HDAEnabler does is it tries to "insert audio into the DSDT" (this is technically incorrect, but it works as an explanation), so the problem is that then you would need a modified LegacyHDA (or AppleHDA) to work with what HDAEnabler injects. So by using the DSDT edit you need 1 kext less, and audio works easier.

joeboxer
04-16-2010, 05:08 PM
In my case, still no sound. LegayHDA and DSDT from page 3, but no way. Maybe some other kext in the extension folder need to be removed?

adriangb
04-17-2010, 04:31 AM
You need to have NO AUDIO KEXTS except the Legacy HDA I posted. Have you repacked you .mkext (or removed the old one?)

joeboxer
04-17-2010, 08:24 AM
Hi, I have ONLY Legacy HDA with 6 other kext that I need.
In order to build a mkext file, I have used MkextTool.app. Than I have manually put Extension.mkext file on the extra folder. Still no sound. I have also try to boot with -f, still no.
Some last suggestion?

clavieramolette
04-21-2010, 05:08 PM
Hi everybody, after about a month of struggle, here is the best and quick way i found to make this work :

Instal OSX snow with Empire EFI CD (about 45mn)
Boot with Empire EFI CD and now select your drive with fresh Snow Leopard
OSX Leo first startup......setup your password and information, (don't worry about the screen resolution at this point....)

Download multibeast installer from tonymacx86 (http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/02/multibeast-ultimate-post-installation.html) thank's Tony!!!

option that i checked : kext : NVEnabler / JMicronSATA /
IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector

Chameleon : PC-EFI 10.6 by netkas

com.apple.boot.plist : 64-bit apple boot screen

Multibeast install takes about 3mn

Software update => 10.6.3 (about 15mn, it depends on your internet conection^_^)

Before to Reboot open your extra Folder and copy your com.boot.plist on your desktop, open it with text editor, and add this line

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-force64 GraphicsEnabler=Yes</string>

Save it then copy (overwrite it in your extra folder, (takes about 2mn)

Reboot without empire EFI CD and smile!!!! you should now see the full resolution and then your desktop with fresh Snow Leopard 10.6.3 !!!!

I didn't bother with audio ( i already have an great USB external sound interface with drivers for snow leopard)
I didn't bother with the (sleep) yet, it's not too important to me but i would like to give a try later on

PS : Don't ever try or bother installing OSX on a Hard drive bigger than 1TB
you will face some serious issues installing your bootloader, it's a waste of time

My only question is :

Why should i need a Patched DSDT ? my system is running 24/7 without a crash, my applications run in 32 or 64-bit with 12GB of RAM....
I would love to hear your input as i'm a newbie ;)

Here are my rig

intel i7 920
Asrock X58 Extreme
EVGA 8800gt
12GB OCZ RAM (6 X 2GB)
WD 1TB caviar Leo, WD 2TB, WD 1.5TB
WD 500G (i use carbon copy cloner to backup my leo drive once a week)
Edirol UA-1000 USB
Apple bluetooth Mouse and Keyboard :-d

joeboxer
04-22-2010, 12:22 AM
Great! Are you using all core or just one? I only need a DSDT for that.

adriangb
04-22-2010, 12:23 AM
Just a few questions/comments
Apart from sleeping, you probably cant restart or shutdown.
Do you have all cores enabled?
Do you have good temps?
Why would you boot in 64b (I doubt you have >32GB of RAM) and doesn't PCEFI 10.6 boot in 64b by default?
Whats the point of NVEnabler and GraphicsEnabler=Yes?
I'm pretty sure we don't need JMicronSATA, since the JMicron chip powers the back eSATA port and maybe something else... I think all the SATA ports are ICH10R. We do have a VIA ATA/Firewire chip thou. This last thing isn't well documented, so I may be wrong.

joeboxer
04-22-2010, 03:03 PM
adrian, what kind of kernel are you using? I just drop the mach_kernel from the empirecd.

adriangb
04-22-2010, 10:42 PM
Vanilla, that's the whole point of an Intel build... just install OS X and DON'T replace any kernel. If you do, your system may not boot since if the empireEFI cd contains one (I doub't, but can't check right now) it probably also needs its System.kext, which you don't mention copying.
So to make it short: don't mess with kernels on an i7, you don't gain anything and loose a lot.

clavieramolette
04-23-2010, 05:23 AM
Yes, i'm booting with all core :) all core are enabled in the bios and the hyper threading too..... 4 core X2 = 8 :p

The computer restart and shutdown properly, (boot time is really quick, and shut down when no application running is about 3sec...

Temperature of hard drives are around 55 degree Celcius
Temperature of processor is about 55 to 60 degree Celcius
I'm using a termaltek water cooling, but it's mostly for a noise reduction than to try to overclock my computer, I love apple, they have the best product, and all of them are so quiet, it's huge challenge with a Hackintosh..... when i will have the money, i will buy a mac, no doubt, and it's green.....

I think that booting in 64bit is one the sexyest stuff about Snow Leopard, i noticed a gain in performance while opening a session of Logic Studio in 64bit :D even if i stay at 12gb of ram

About NVEnabler, it was the only way to get full resolution with my EVGA 8800gt
adding the EFI string in the com.apple.Boot.plist wouldn't work...

I didn't bother changing the com.apple.Boot.plist since it worked, i haven't try to boot without the line GraphicsEnabler=Yes....

Here is my com.apple.Boot.plist

<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-force64 GraphicsEnabler=Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>3</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>

Joeboxer said we need JMicronSATA with this Motherboard.... I haven't try to boot without this kext yet

About the Kernel, i'm using a retail osx leopard DVD so i want to keep it Vanilla, i didn't mess with that.... and all update went fine....

I hope i answerd all questions, and please, i'm still learning about all of that, so feel free to had any comments or advises....

All the forums and post i've read before helped me a lot, so if i can help someone, that's great, but i'm not a Guru, and still need to learn a lot

Here is a couple screen shots and geekbench....

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/fcbcf4dc1f.jpg

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/a450fa9d87.jpg

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/949671fb45.jpg

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/2d53a31378.jpg

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/c2f4a5c384.jpg

joeboxer
04-23-2010, 11:56 AM
Wow 12gb of ram! Congratulations!
Actually I have just 2GB.. hope to improve the ram soon.

About your Boot.plist, do you think the string "<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-force64 GraphicsEnabler=Yes</string>" is correct?

I have nothing in kernel flags and graphics in that way:
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
The system boot in 64bit by default.

Again thanks for your info.

For adriangb: thanks for the kernel suggestion. I confirm that the Empire CD kernel just work in our board, but I have extracted the X.6.3 apple original and also work, no differences.

By the way actually I boot with 6 kext, that my system absolutely need:

evoreboot
fakesmc
IONetworkingfamily
NullCPUPowermanagement
PlatformUUID
RealtekR1000SL

I do not need JmicronATA.

The 7th kext can be the legacyHDA, but at the moment I'm still investigating why I do not have sound, with the same adriangb DSDT... ?!

adriangb
04-23-2010, 01:39 PM
Oh, now I understand why you can all boot fine without DSDT. Your using NullCPUPowermanagement. That equals=no OSPM (Operating System Power Manegment, everything is handled by the "legacy firmware"). Hence no speedsteping and not native power management. And you can reboot because of evoreboot.
Se, that's where DSDT and a well configured bootloader come in! You could have lower temps, and remove two kexts, just to name a few things.
Using a pre made DSDT doesn't always work, RAM addresses can differ, for example. The best would be a tutorial, but my F&*$#%G board still doesn't work well (hardware issue thou, it's the same with windows...). I'm really frustrated about that, since February a I've been having issues with my OCZ G DDD3 RAM, my CPU and (by extension) my motherboard!
Also, that DSDT is OLD (I think it was for BIOS v1.9 or something, LOL) when -if I ever- get my rig working right, I'll do one for the newest BIOS.
The correct GraphicsEnabler string is:
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>

joeboxer
04-23-2010, 03:02 PM
My bios is 2.30 and i agree that maybe my 2GB of RAM are not what your DSDT expect to see!
Let's hope you can finally work at your best, without that only theory..

About NullCPUPowermanagement I agree, but for sound still do not understand. :O(

My best to all :o)

joeboxer
04-23-2010, 03:05 PM
I forgot the temperature issue: my cpu about 45° never over 50, after 20 min of handbreake with full 8core load.
best.

joeboxer
04-23-2010, 06:01 PM
Update: i confirm my system can boot as before without NullCPUPowerManagement.kext.
I just update the kernel with the X.6.3 from original apple combo update.

Still no sound & sleep, all the rest work fine.

Clavieramolette: I use articooling freezerpro and I'm very happy for noise, with the cpu fan at about 1000rxm.

clavieramolette
04-23-2010, 07:12 PM
Right the boot.plist is messy, i'm gonna clean that up

well i don't use evoreboot kext and restart and shut down properly...

Are you sure the DSDT will lower my temps... i have a water cooling system but the fan are really low in speed for less noise, i can easily go down to 40 degree C. but will have more noise....

How can i now if speedsteping and native power management works ? speedsteping is enable in the bios

I never update the bios of the Mobo, should i ??

how can i configure the DSDT for the board, should i use "Digital Dreamer's" Patch installer to ad the DSDT ???

joeboxer
04-23-2010, 11:09 PM
Hi there, today so many changes, but at the end, I have audio now!

I have installed the voodooHDA from the Multibeast package, and voila': input and output analog and digital! Installed in System/Library/Extensions. Deleted any other audio like HDAenabler or AppleHDA.

In the Extra/Extension folder I have 5 kext now.

evoreboot
fakesmc
IONetworkingfamily
platformUUID
realtekR1000SL

Do not need NullCPU.

At the end i have removed the DSDT from adriangb, as I understand that my problem has been the Wifi atheros, that cause to boot with soo many difficults during all this times... : without atheros card, now the system boot without cpus=1 and also without DSDT. Cpu temperature 47 degrees celsius.

So, definitely the only point still not clear is the sleep issue.
The rest just amazing!

Off course, after all this work, I have to thank you all for your post, all in some way helpfull, even if I still wait if adriangb can come out with some news about DSDT optimizing, as it seem to be very serious in his words.

Bye all ;o)

adriangb
05-05-2010, 05:48 AM
Here is a VERY PRELIMINARY version of my guide. It's probably missing stuff, has errors, etc, etc, but after I get some feedback (and try it fully myself, as in follow it from pg 1 to 30) I'll re-write it, to organize, correct and better it.
It's missing link's, references, etc so I'm just going to say that most of the original ideas should be attributed to there true authors.
I write no more, because it's like 4 A.M. here and I have to get some rest (I have to wake up at 9 (:o) and have to study :mad: .
P.S.: I'll also post it in the guide sections here and at insanley.

joeboxer
05-17-2010, 04:59 PM
sleep still no?

vultu
06-03-2010, 02:26 PM
My only question is :

Why should i need a Patched DSDT ? my system is running 24/7 without a crash, my applications run in 32 or 64-bit with 12GB of RAM....
I would love to hear your input as i'm a newbie ;)
Hi Clavier,

With a patched DSDT you dont need all this kexts (I use just FakeSMC) and your CPU will dont run too hot, I use a Noctua cooler (air cooler) and my CPU even overclocked does not reach the 50 degrees in the brasilian summer.

Here my config:

ASUS P6T
Core i7 920 overclocked to 3.80 GHZ
12 GB RAM DDR3 Corsair
GeFORCE GTS 250
External Temperature 15 degrees
http://i48.tinypic.com/x1j59i.jpg

http://i47.tinypic.com/16h6dc6.jpg

ps.: sorry about the bad english

clavieramolette
06-03-2010, 04:27 PM
Hi vultu, thanks for your reply, i would love to know how can i patch my DSDT ?

Could you tell us how ?

Thank you so much

C

vultu
06-04-2010, 02:48 PM
Hi vultu, thanks for your reply, i would love to know how can i patch my DSDT ?
Hi Clavier,

Im sorry but I dont speak english well enough to teach someone.

I could try to give you some tips where you need to put the code, but before that you need to have access to your DSDT.

You can get your DSDT with the program DSDTSE (http://www.osx86.es/Archivos/DSDTSE.zip) choose the option Extract DSDT and save the file in some folder.

You need this program iASL (I attached to this msg) to compile the DSDT.DSL file.

Sintax to Compile
(open the terminal and go to folder that you save the iASL file)
./iasl -f /path_to_file/filename.dsl

I attached too a .TXT file with customizations that I use, others customizations you will find in DSDTSE program (DSDT hacks) below are the most important:

02. HPET FIX
03. RTC FIX
04. CPUS=1 fix

Start with this after you have a DSDT working if you want you could try other things, but I prefer change the minimum in my original DSDT.

Stephen.Eidson
09-06-2010, 09:39 AM
It's late and I'm about to crash, but I just had to share that I finally got audio to work.

I took Joeboxer's advice and used VoodooHDA from Multibeast. The newest experimental version (0.2.61) worked for me, but it doesn't look like optical out is activated.

Have any of the other solutions (AppleHDA, DSDT, etc) made the optical out (toslink) work for anyone?

adriangb
09-06-2010, 02:47 PM
It's late and I'm about to crash, but I just had to share that I finally got audio to work.

I took Joeboxer's advice and used VoodooHDA from Multibeast. The newest experimental version (0.2.61) worked for me, but it doesn't look like optical out is activated.

Have any of the other solutions (AppleHDA, DSDT, etc) made the optical out (toslink) work for anyone?
With DSDT+LegacyHDA I get Digital Out in sys. pref., but unfortunately I can't test it with anything, but I suppose it works all right.

Stephen.Eidson
09-12-2010, 08:13 AM
With DSDT+LegacyHDA I get Digital Out in sys. pref., but unfortunately I can't test it with anything, but I suppose it works all right.

Thanks for the reply! Also, thank you very much for typing up your DSDT guide. I just gave it another read through and everything makes sense with it. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to give it a shot tomorrow. I was finally able to update my BIOS to 2.5 (if you remember, the instant flash utility wasn't working back in the spring), so I'm excited to move forward.

In the guide, though, you don't mention LegacyHDA at all. I've downloaded your modified version from page 3 of this thread and plan to use it with my reinstall. When would you suggest is the best time to copy LegacyHDA over? Just before multibeast, so the caches get rebuilt with it? Also, LegacyHDA goes in /E/E, right? Do I also have to delete all audio codecs from /S/L/E?

With your rig now, sleep is your only obstacle, right? Have you been able to upgrade to 10.6.4 without hiccups? Also, have you enabled QuartzGL?

Have you (or anyone else, for that matter) been able to OC with speed-stepping engaged? I'd read that can cause stability issues.

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks again for all the help!

and, just for the record, my rig is as follows:

ASRock X58 Extreme
i7 920
ZALMAN CNPS9900ALED Heatsink
6GB OCZ Gold (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600
150 GB WD Raptor X 10,000 RPM hdd (for osx)
4 TB Scratch (2x2TB Hitachi hdds in RAID 0)
Antec Quattro 850w PSU
BFG GeForce 8800 GTS 640 MB

adriangb
09-12-2010, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the reply! Also, thank you very much for typing up your DSDT guide. I just gave it another read through and everything makes sense with it. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to give it a shot tomorrow. I was finally able to update my BIOS to 2.5 (if you remember, the instant flash utility wasn't working back in the spring), so I'm excited to move forward.

In the guide, though, you don't mention LegacyHDA at all. I've downloaded your modified version from page 3 of this thread and plan to use it with my reinstall. When would you suggest is the best time to copy LegacyHDA over? Just before multibeast, so the caches get rebuilt with it? Also, LegacyHDA goes in /E/E, right? Do I also have to delete all audio codecs from /S/L/E?

With your rig now, sleep is your only obstacle, right? Have you been able to upgrade to 10.6.4 without hiccups? Also, have you enabled QuartzGL?

Have you (or anyone else, for that matter) been able to OC with speed-stepping engaged? I'd read that can cause stability issues.

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks again for all the help!

and, just for the record, my rig is as follows:

LegacyHDA does go in /E/E, and no, you don't need to delete any codecs in /S/L/E. I would use multibeast (why not just do it manually? you only need a few kexts anyways... and you'll have to edit .plist manually anyhow)
Yup! Evereything else works. I upgraded to 10.6.4 without issues.
I've heard that QuartzGL (=Quartz 2D Extreme) is pretty much useless, since all it does is take a little bit of load off the CPU, at the cost of some artifacts. Since I have an i7 I don't think a little bit of 2D rendering will affect performance much ;). I'll look into this thou.

I have tried overclocking with speedstep, and it works (somewhat). The big problem is (I think) that, altho the multipliers are changed ok (ie. with 200 bclk speedstep 1= 200*16, 2=200*17 (maybe 16.5 or something), 10=22*200=4.4GHz=KP :( ). So the problem is two things:

The voltage isn't changed from stock (so it'll be trying to run 4GHz or whatever your *22 speestep is with voltage designed for 2.8GHz). The only way to fix this would be to manually edit the FID & VID values in DSDT, but I'm afraid to do so since ONE wrong number can mean a nice fryed silicone smell.
You can't have anything over 180 bclk, or you will need extreme voltages & cooling to get over bclk*22 (@180 bclk that's 4GHz).

Apart from this, I have to mention that I don't overclock because of my RAM and cooling: I have some OCZ Gold dual channel ddr3, and -even thou ASRock released a fix for the 6GB kit, it apparently doesn't work with my 4GB one, so my RAM still get's error's in memtest and stuff, which means an unstable OC. Also, I have an Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro r2, but one of the F*&%#@G cheap plastic pins broke while reinstalling it once, so now I'm stuck with the stock intel cooler :(. Work's fine for default clock, but I've ruled out OC with it, especially now that it's summer down here :cool:.

Stephen.Eidson
09-15-2010, 08:51 PM
Gotcha on the overclocking.

I finally got around to giving the guide a shot today but didn't even get into OSX installation. KP'ed while trying to boot the SL dvd. >_< Were you able to just use the iBoot Supported bootcd, or did you have to change it before burning?

adriangb
09-15-2010, 09:01 PM
Gotcha on the overclocking.

I finally got around to giving the guide a shot today but didn't even get into OSX installation. KP'ed while trying to boot the SL dvd. >_< Were you able to just use the iBoot Supported bootcd, or did you have to change it before burning?
I was able to just boot. Check that you have the settings in your BIOS right. Pay special attention to HPET, HDD AHCI & CPU settings. You might also want to try with EmpireEFI, I seem to find it stabler.

FYI: that guide is outdated, I've made some improvements since then, but they'r minor.

Stephen.Eidson
09-16-2010, 12:22 PM
Ah. Would you mind sharing the new changes? :D:D

So, even after playing around with every BIOS setting, I still wasn't able to boot iBoot. I played around with EmpireEFI, newer versions of myHack, and others, but I couldn't get anything to boot like I had with myhack 1.0 final back in the spring.

My system currently works, but I'm wanting to make the full switch to DSDT hacks for optimization. As a side bonus, once I get the DSDT tweaked I should be able to actually boot off of something other than my hdd. :D I've tried for months to work with DSDTSE, but I was always getting the NilObjectException error. Finally, after messing with install locations to no end, I was able to install it to a myHack thumbdrive and actually access extract the table.

In the guide you say you must be booted with iBoot for DSDTSE to work. Is this just a way to get around the NilObjectException error, or is there something else I'm missing?

At this point, I've done the Ubuntu liveCD boot and have gotten past the changing of Scope(_PR). A couple of notes:

1. For anyone not familiar with Ubuntu, it might be useful to note that additional repositories have to be enabled for apt-get to install acpidump and iasl.
2. The part of checking if _PSD coincides with ist.dsl and if the "Package (0x04)" in _CST are in cst.dsl is stopping me because I don't know how precisely similar they have to be. Can you look over what I've done?

I think the _PSD is alright...

ist.aml (_PSD):
Method (_PSD, 0, NotSerialized)
{
Return (Package (0x01)
{
Package (0x05)
{
0x05,
0x00,
0x00,
0xFE,
0x08
}
})
}

dsdt.aml _PSD:
Name (_PSD, Package (0x05)
{
0x05,
Zero,
Zero,
0xFE,
0x08
})

...but the _CST has me concerned, because there are some blocks in my cst.aml that match perfectly like 0x0...0815 in this code, but others aren't present in the dsdt.aml. For example, the 0x00...00816 in this code:

cst.aml _CST / Package (0x04):
Package (0x04)
{
ResourceTemplate ()
{
Register (SystemIO,
0x08, // Bit Width
0x00, // Bit Offset
0x0000000000000815, // Address
,)
},

0x03,
0x80,
0x015E
},

Package (0x04)
{
ResourceTemplate ()
{
Register (SystemIO,
0x08, // Bit Width
0x00, // Bit Offset
0x0000000000000816, // Address
,)
},

0x03,
0xA0,
0xC8
}

dsdt.aml _CST Package (0x04):

Package (0x04)
{
ResourceTemplate ()
{
Register (SystemIO,
0x08, // Bit Width
0x00, // Bit Offset
0x0000000000000815, // Address
,)
},

0x03,
0x80,
0x015E
}

So, sorry for this exhaustive post, but I'm kind of stuck. Is this because I generated the DSDT while booted with extra kexts, or is it just because my 2.5 BIOS is different than the BIOS you used when you wrote up the guide? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Attached are all three edited files, if that helps at all.

adriangb
09-16-2010, 04:28 PM
I kind of got lost in there, maybe you should be clearer.
What I understood was the following:
You COULD install OS X.
You CAN'T boot it to extract the DSDT.
You AREN'T sure how to out CPU info from IST into the DSDT, using Ubuntu.

If this is the case, I have to point something out to you first: the point of booting os x with iBoot or EmpireEFI is to have a "clean" DSDT (as in BIOS default) to start editing. And to be able to install kexts and stuff.
Do you have and i7 920? If so, I can just pass on a DSDT that I made for another ASRock x58... user, from which I removed all my system specific info except for CPU PM.
I'll attach it but BEWARE: USE IT ONLY WITH AN i7 920. IT COULD HARM YOUR RIG IF USED WITH ANOTHER CPU.
FakeSMC.kext & SMCITEController.kext go in /S/L/E/ and the rest go in /E/E/. Remember to run kext util to rebuild caches when done. The DSDT goes in /E/E/ (or anywhere you specify in your com.apple.boot.plist. Do make sure you have this one right, otherwise nothing will work. I'll attach mine for your reference.
Also note that if you move chaemaleon to USB or something, you will have to edit com.apple... with things like hd(0,2) to hd(0,1), etc. Google this.
Cheers, Adrian.

Stephen.Eidson
09-27-2010, 09:40 AM
Okay, things are really moving now!

Yes, I do have an i7 920.

Using the DSDT and the kexts you posted with Chameleon 2 RC5_pre8, I can boot just fine. And, I'm now 5 degrees cooler at idle and an astounding 20 degrees cooler at full processor usage! :D

So, now I'm fully updated to 10.6.4 with working audio. For some reason, though, the input/output devices listed under Sound in System Preferences are all in German:
http://imgur.com/5zDCl.jpg

In System Profiler, they have English names:
http://imgur.com/kmrOH.jpg

Any idea on how to get rid of the German?

adriangb
09-27-2010, 02:07 PM
Okay, things are really moving now!

For some reason, though, the input/output devices listed under Sound in System Preferences are all in German:
http://imgur.com/5zDCl.jpg
Any idea on how to get rid of the German?

I don't get any german:
http://osx86.co/attachment.php?attachmentid=1415&stc=1&d=1285592833

natano2010
10-07-2010, 08:00 PM
Also note that if you move chaemaleon to USB or something, you will have to edit com.apple...

Hello, I am sorry to ask you a question
If I want to use iBoot Multibeast guide to install Snow Leopard 10.6.3
Can I use you to do ASROCK DSDT published here for the installation of Multibeast USER DSDT?
(My motherboard is ASRock x58 Extreme3, display card is ATI 4830 & 5830) 5830 ---> still not working successfully
As I recently learned of the optimization system on the DSDT information
Before that I did not know about the DSDT, there Multibeast USER DSDT function.
Just random google MAC OSX86 related GUI
and the installation of the system and test
I would love to hear your input as i'm a newbie. I want use more accurate method to install OSX86

thx and sorry about bad English

ASROCK X58 Extreme3
Core i7-950
DDR3 4GBX3
HIS ATI5830 1GB

adriangb
10-08-2010, 02:41 AM
Hello, I am sorry to ask you a question
If I want to use iBoot Multibeast guide to install Snow Leopard 10.6.3
Can I use you to do ASROCK DSDT published here for the installation of Multibeast USER DSDT?
(My motherboard is ASRock x58 Extreme3, display card is ATI 4830 & 5830) 5830 ---> still not working successfully

Yes you could, IF WE HAD THE SAME MB, lol. Your's is an Extreme3, mine is plain old Extreme. So no, you can't. The DSDT's are similar, I think, but I can't guarantee they'r the same or that mine will work well on yours. If you want to try it, go ahead, but do it at your own risk. The worst case is you probably get a KP. Make sure you use the right kexts.

--__--
10-22-2010, 03:03 AM
I kind of got lost in there, maybe you should be clearer.
What I understood was the following:
You COULD install OS X.
You CAN'T boot it to extract the DSDT.
You AREN'T sure how to out CPU info from IST into the DSDT, using Ubuntu.

If this is the case, I have to point something out to you first: the point of booting os x with iBoot or EmpireEFI is to have a "clean" DSDT (as in BIOS default) to start editing. And to be able to install kexts and stuff.
Do you have and i7 920? If so, I can just pass on a DSDT that I made for another ASRock x58... user, from which I removed all my system specific info except for CPU PM.
I'll attach it but BEWARE: USE IT ONLY WITH AN i7 920. IT COULD HARM YOUR RIG IF USED WITH ANOTHER CPU.
FakeSMC.kext & SMCITEController.kext go in /S/L/E/ and the rest go in /E/E/. Remember to run kext util to rebuild caches when done. The DSDT goes in /E/E/ (or anywhere you specify in your com.apple.boot.plist. Do make sure you have this one right, otherwise nothing will work. I'll attach mine for your reference.
Also note that if you move chaemaleon to USB or something, you will have to edit com.apple... with things like hd(0,2) to hd(0,1), etc. Google this.
Cheers, Adrian.

Hello
Will your DSDT only work with a default settings bios, so that i would have to reset my bios, or does it also work if i have changed some settings?
thanks

adriangb
10-22-2010, 03:07 AM
Hello
Will your DSDT only work with a default settings bios, so that i would have to reset my bios, or does it also work if i have changed some settings?
thanks

It will work with non default settings. Actually, you have to have changed some settings, otherwise it won't work. But they have to be the right ones ;). Check back in the thread, I think there's a link to a video on setting up the BIOS.

--__--
10-22-2010, 04:28 AM
Hmm really i cant seem to find the settings for the bios.
My idea would be to make a usb key with the sl install disc, chamelon rc5 and your kexts and dsdt.
Also what version of the bios is that dsdt made for?

--__--
11-20-2010, 02:14 PM
sorry for bumping this, but do we have any news about sleep?

SuperBogey
03-16-2011, 02:31 AM
Hello. I don't know if anyone is still following this thread but hopefully someone will be able to offer some help. I've had what amounts to a cluged version of an almost exact same system in this thread running 10.6.x - CPU, GPU and RAM being the main differences - for almost a year and would really like to have a DSDT setup instead of just the bunch of KEXTs strung together that I currently have. While I've been working with systems for years and am pretty decent with the hardware side, troubleshooting software installs & system errors, I feel I'm in a bit over my head trying to understand some of the ins & outs of fine-tuning a Windows box into a Hackintosh, especially where DSDTs are concerned. It would save a LOT of time and grief to simply copy adriangb's file but as I have an i-930 in my x58 Extreme, I don't think I'd have the same results. I DO have a copy of the guide and am going to go over it so that I can understand it better in hopes of figuring out how to tweak the DSDT to fit my system but if anyone can offer some pointers before I do, I'd be very appreciative.

Thanks in advance
(System specs below)

ASROCK x58 Extreme (2.80 BIOS)
MSI Twin Frozer GTS-250 (1GB)
6 GB PC3-12800 DDR3 RAM
1TB Hitachi HD (Mac OS X)
1TB WD Caviar Green (Windows 7 64 bit)
Lite On DVD Writer
Lite On DVD BD-ROM reader
Rosewill 80+ Bronze 1000W PSU
Coolermaster Sniper full tower case

adriangb
03-16-2011, 02:49 AM
Anyways, I'll send you my DSDT for this BIOS version, it should work fine since I have no CPU/GPU injection and we have the same amount of memory. Also, I'll send the kexts (which you can build an mkext from if you wan't, for faster booting) & plists.
You'll have to give me a while to cook it up since two days ago I tried flashing my GPU and and it went wrong... needless to say I'm waiting for someone to lone me a GPU so I can reflash. But I'll put my HDD in an external enclosure and copy those files.
BTW: AWSOME CASE. I hate mine :(. Isn't 1000W (even if it's peak) kind of overkill for that rig?.

EDIT: here, just unzip this on your root folder (aka "Macintosh HD" or "/"), and install the latest chaemaleon from multibeast or use this installer: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=87336 (you'll have to log in to download).
MAKE SURE YOU USE THE INSTALLER/MULTIBEAST FIRST! AND ONLY SELECT CHAEMALEON, NO KEXTS OR ANYTHING ELSE. IF THE INSTALLER CREATES AN EXTRA FOLDER ON YOUR HD, DELETE IT AND THEN UNZIP MY OWN. I did this all in caps, since it's essential: otherwise the installer will overwrite my Extra folder with it's own.

Also make sure you have your BIOS settings right, and see the note on OCing (below post).

adriangb
03-16-2011, 03:06 AM
sorry for bumping this, but do we have any news about sleep?

Sorry for never responding.
Sleep: I still haven't gotten it to work, thou I think it's not DSDT related (I tried using an ASUS DSDT and it worked, except for sleep...)
BIOS settings: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcmHdQxjANY I made the vid using some historic BIOS version, check if the settings are still the same.

You can now OC without issues using "GenerateCStates=Yes" and ""GeneratePStates=Yes" in DSDT. For this, you need to NOT have CPU info in your DSDT.

SuperBogey
03-16-2011, 07:08 AM
Thanks for responding so quickly, Adrian

Sorry to hear about the failed GPU flash. Yeah, the PSU is overkill but it was highly rated AND was on sale at Newegg. Oh and I didn't mention that I have my 930 overclocked to 3.6GHz with a Zalman cooler (for some reason it's showing a bit faster at 3.78 under OS X).

I've attached a screenshot of the KEXTs I already have loaded. I'm sure from what you've been posting I can weed those down to just a couple. Do I still need to install the latest Chameleon if I already have a boot loader? As to the DSDT, I'm wondering if it will help with one issue that's been bugging me since I first built this. Whenever I go to reboot, instead of the PSU staying on and just the MB resetting, it will shut the power off to the PSU and then turn back on but when it does this, the MB won't post - no codes at all. I have to power it off for a few minutes and then hit the power switch. My case has plenty of fans and the CPU registers at a max temp in the 60s (C) under load. In the PSU manual, it says that it has current/voltage (over & under)/power and short circuit protection. I'm wondering if the PSU is taking the powering off as an undervoltage situation and locking it until it releases it after a few minutes. It DOES otherwise softboot if I clear the BIOS to default settings. Real head-scratcher.

Thanks again

adriangb
03-22-2011, 01:43 AM
Thanks for responding so quickly, Adrian

Sorry to hear about the failed GPU flash. Yeah, the PSU is overkill but it was highly rated AND was on sale at Newegg. Oh and I didn't mention that I have my 930 overclocked to 3.6GHz with a Zalman cooler (for some reason it's showing a bit faster at 3.78 under OS X).

I've attached a screenshot of the KEXTs I already have loaded. I'm sure from what you've been posting I can weed those down to just a couple. Do I still need to install the latest Chameleon if I already have a boot loader? As to the DSDT, I'm wondering if it will help with one issue that's been bugging me since I first built this. Whenever I go to reboot, instead of the PSU staying on and just the MB resetting, it will shut the power off to the PSU and then turn back on but when it does this, the MB won't post - no codes at all. I have to power it off for a few minutes and then hit the power switch. My case has plenty of fans and the CPU registers at a max temp in the 60s (C) under load. In the PSU manual, it says that it has current/voltage (over & under)/power and short circuit protection. I'm wondering if the PSU is taking the powering off as an undervoltage situation and locking it until it releases it after a few minutes. It DOES otherwise softboot if I clear the BIOS to default settings. Real head-scratcher.

Thanks again
I don't know why I don't get email alerts of replies... I'm subbed :confused:

Well, if you use the files I linked (which include the latest chameleon -needed for P and C states, the minimum necessary kexts, DSDT and plists), you can get down to just fakesmc an audio and a network kext (unless you'r using an ATI GPU, in that case you probably need another ATI kext, I have nvidia so I'm unfamiliar with ATI under OSX). My package contains these kexts and hardware monitoring kexts, to get fan speed, voltages, temps, etc. Please tell me if you'r using ATI as the kext required for GPU monitoring differs.

As for the reboot issue: it boils down to hard vs soft: if it's a software issue (ie, related to the way OS X reboots) it'll probably be fixed. If it's hardware, I doubt it.
I have a similar issue: bclk>160 and I can't sleep in windows and reboots power off completely (thou it does turn itself back on). If it's under 160, evereything work's normally.

I hope I helped

SuperBogey
03-22-2011, 08:15 AM
Yeah, funny how you can feel snubbed by not getting alerts. Just as long as it isn't a friend trying to get ahold of you for something important.

So I held my breath and installed your download. The DSDT seems to start up fine if a bit slow. Lots of additional temperature sensors in iStat widget AND the CPU is running (or reading) a lot cooler with the MacPro 5,1 ID. I also reset the BIOS to the settings in your video (Not sure of the C State enabled and then setting to C6. I always thought that was for non-Core Intel CPUs). Also, I have an MSI GTS-250 1GB GDDR5 so no worries about ATI kexts. I DO have a couple of IDE drives installed but don't really need for OS X as they have an old install of XP Pro but I haven't got all the data files moved to my Win 7 drive. Sound finally works without resorting to running Voodoo kexts but wish the new sound setup didn't give off a loud pop over my speakers when loading. I'll move the other unnecessary kexts out of the /Extra/Extensions folder and see how that goes next.

I still have the hard reboot problem - in both OS X AND Win 7 so I want to think it's BIOS related. I've been unemployed for a while otherwise I'd go and get a new PSU to try and see if that's the issue. The installed Rosewill PSU works great other than having that one bugaboo.

Thanks again for your help. I still don't have the faintest idea how to edit a DSDT but grateful that yours seems to do the trick without any tweaks.

adriangb
03-22-2011, 02:44 PM
Yeah, funny how you can feel snubbed by not getting alerts. Just as long as it isn't a friend trying to get ahold of you for something important.

So I held my breath and installed your download. The DSDT seems to start up fine if a bit slow. Lots of additional temperature sensors in iStat widget AND the CPU is running (or reading) a lot cooler with the MacPro 5,1 ID. I also reset the BIOS to the settings in your video (Not sure of the C State enabled and then setting to C6. I always thought that was for non-Core Intel CPUs). Also, I have an MSI GTS-250 1GB GDDR5 so no worries about ATI kexts. I DO have a couple of IDE drives installed but don't really need for OS X as they have an old install of XP Pro but I haven't got all the data files moved to my Win 7 drive. Sound finally works without resorting to running Voodoo kexts but wish the new sound setup didn't give off a loud pop over my speakers when loading. I'll move the other unnecessary kexts out of the /Extra/Extensions folder and see how that goes next.

I still have the hard reboot problem - in both OS X AND Win 7 so I want to think it's BIOS related. I've been unemployed for a while otherwise I'd go and get a new PSU to try and see if that's the issue. The installed Rosewill PSU works great other than having that one bugaboo.

Thanks again for your help. I still don't have the faintest idea how to edit a DSDT but grateful that yours seems to do the trick without any tweaks.

subbed= subscribed ;)

Yeah, remove other kexts and create an mkext (I can do it for you, but you should learn how). The booting is slow because of all the different kexts for temp monitoring, etc. If you use an mkext (a package of kexts), it'll load much faster.
I don't get any audio pops... :-/
If it happens in Win7 too, it's hardware related (or BIOS, as you say, but I doubt it). Try booting @stock speeds, and see what happens.
DSDT: it's "a document describing your PC" (far from the exact definition, but easy to understand). So it says: I have 2 cores, such and such Audio chip, this GPU, etc, etc. The thing is, PC makers don't follow specifications... why? because the document needs to be compiled ("read") by a compiler, and there are two, the intel one (follows specs, apple like) and the microsoft one (doesn't follow specs). Additionally, apple uses their own way of DSDT, ie, some things that are in spec are not to OS X's liking. So we have to edit this document, according to what apple/specifications want. Editing it is another story... Download DSDT SE and "extract DSDT" to see your currently loaded one (if you want to see the plain DSDT, boot with iBoot or something, otherwise you'll get my edited one ;) ).

On another note: what are your memory voltage readings like? Mine are way off!

joeboxer
10-13-2011, 12:03 AM
Hi everybody here, someone had try Lion on that system?
Best!

SuperBogey
10-15-2011, 01:08 AM
Successfully installed Lion and just upgraded to 10.7.2 on mine.

joeboxer
10-17-2011, 01:01 PM
Great! Happy for you.
For me I'm testing a new Lion iatkos 10.7.1 on a new harddrive.
The problem is when I update to 10.7.2. No sound.
Even if i use the old kext, still no sound.

Can you please explain how you get audio for our alc890 ?
Thanks!

joeboxer
10-24-2011, 11:34 AM
I reply to myself, maybe some other is interested to know..

I finally have sound with a simple solution: I take back (from a snow leopard installation) 2 kext:
applehda and voodoohda. Run kext utility and.. sound!

I have tried that before, but I was using the extra folder, so do not do that. Put the 2 kext on system/library/extension.

Concluding, now I have 10.7.2 full working, sound and sleep too!!!

Hope to help some one.. bye to all ;o)