PDA

View Full Version : SATA Boot problem..Still waiting for root device-Tried everything and need pro advice

GreenMachine
01-12-2010, 06:20 AM
OK So I'm kinda new to this OSX86 thing, but have exp with PCs.

So I have installed iATKOS v7 on my new PC. Includes 10.5.7
iPC and iDeneb would not load.

So the first time I installed I used the following:
* Chameleon V2
* /Extra
* DSDT
* DSMOS
* 9.7.0 Kernel voodoo
* APIC driver
* Disabler
* OHR
* Remove TyMCE
* AHCI
* Intel SATA/IDE
* JMicron SATA/IDE
* Post Install Actions

I got to my first boot and during chameleon verbose I got something like "can't determine dependencies for legacyAppleAHCIPort"
"still waiting on root device"

Tried all boot commands like:
-f -x -c -v rd=disk0s1 platform=X86PC platform=ACPI
and combos of each- no go! :'(

So I format and reinstall WITHOUT the AHCI driver, this CLEARED the legacyAppleAHCIPort error but,,, am still getting "still waiting on root device"

Tried both IDE compatable mode and AHCI in BIOS, no difference...NO JOY

I am attempting this install on a ECS P55H-A, with a i7.
I havent found any evidence online of anyone using this board yet with OSX86, but believe it should work.

Hardware ID shows an Intel IBEX PEAK SATA controller, and a Jmicron IDE controller.
Do I need to install another kext for Jmicron?

If anyone has any advice or has been through this problem I would really really appreciate the help... I just paid $420 bucks for Logic Pro9 and really need to get working. THANKS

Imkantus
01-12-2010, 09:54 AM
Hardware ID shows an Intel IBEX PEAK SATA controller, and a Jmicron IDE controller.
Do I need to install another kext for Jmicron?
So you are using an IDE harddrive? If so be sure to have a proper Master / Slave setting. I have no experience with Jmicron controlers, but had no good expierence with CS on my old nForce mobo. Maybe also try making it the only / primary device on the IDE cable.
If nothing helps get an SATA HD and use it in AHCI mode or at least provide complete hardware info including devive & vendor ids.

GreenMachine
01-13-2010, 03:03 AM
I'm using a hitachi 1TB sata drive, and a sony sata dvd.

Another thing I forgot, not sure if this is related, but when I ran the installers disk utility, I could only format a 128GB partition--could not get it to recognise the full TB.

Thanks again everyone!

riadtania
01-21-2010, 07:02 AM
GreenMachine, you are seeing "Still no boot device" because chipset driver issue. I had that problem when i was trying to install Leopard and Snow Leopard.

My best advise to find a IOATAFamily.kext file. Drop the file into the extension folder where you saved all your .kext file. DO NOT add files that you do not, it will cause kernal panic.

If IOATAFamily does not work. find what type of chipset you have in your motherboard.For an example, I had Intel ICH9 series chipset. I googled for Intel ICHx kext. It will work for sure if you don't have any other hardware issue.