PDA

View Full Version : Need Kext placement info.

01-14-2010, 09:20 PM
I am new to the whole retail installation method, I tried a retail install before and I couldn't install kext files at all, so I was wondering if I should install my kext files to the "Extra/Extensions" folder, and if so how should I go about doing that the right way? Also If I do need to install them here, will they override any kext that has the same name?( I have patched versions of kexts files that have the same name as some kexts in the Extensions folder)

Imkantus
01-15-2010, 12:06 PM
When you put them to /Extra/Extensions you need to build an Extensions.mkext chache for them in the upper folder [/Extra] - I prefer to use this utility for that purpose:
https://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/development_tools/mkexttool.html
Bur be aware, that you need to select x86_64 slim down, when you want to boot 64-Bit Kernel & Extensions.

Some Extensions like ApplePS2 drivers do not work correctly in /E/E if you put Extensions to /System/Library/Extensions be sure to fix the file permissions:sudo -s
cd /System/Library/Extensions
chmod -R 755 *
chown -R root:wheel *See here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_system_permissions#Traditional_Unix_permissio ns) if you want further informations about what you are doing here.
Once done delete /System/Library/Chaches/com.apple.kext.chaches folder to have the Extensions chache beeing rebuild on next boot. (On Leopard this is /System/Libary/Extensions.mkext) - when you use an up-to-date bootloader you can also force the system to rebuild the chache by using -f boot parameter.

01-15-2010, 04:21 PM
ok, good, I have patched GMAx3100 kext files, and the stock files already exsit in the Extensions folder, Will the Extra/Extensions folder override the originals?

So I need to install my PS2 kext files in the Extensions folder aswell? I am using the VoodooPS2 and trackpad prefpane, I also need to delete the R1000.kext because it is not acting correctly with my Ethernet which is a Realtek RTL8169 NIC, I was going to replace it with the one I used in the prepatched version of Snow Leopard I had used before.

When I try to use "Kext Utility" in the retail install I had tried before, It did not work, So in retail you are saying I need to do the install manually in terminal?

So lets say I want to put all my kext in the /Extra/Extensions folder,Which ones would I not put there that need to be in S/l/E?

I have my wifi kext.

VoodooHDA.kext

VoodooPS2.kext

VoodooBatery.kext

RTL8169NIC.kext

Patched Graphics kexts

Patched IOUSBFamily.kext

Imkantus
01-15-2010, 04:42 PM
It should work to put the patched Kernel Extensions to /Extra/Extensions and leave the ones in the System folder beeing untouched. Just be sure to create /Extra/Extensions.mkext for the ones stored in /Extra/Extensions wether you do this from command line using "kextutil" or using GUI is pretty irrelevant - without this there will be a Kernel Panic on boot - at least in my cases.
Repairing the file permissions matters only for the one you add to the System folder, as they won't be chached correctly by OS X without having correct permissions.

01-15-2010, 10:21 PM
ok, good. but I still need to install the PS2 kext files in the s/l/e folder or not?

Imkantus
01-16-2010, 12:44 AM
No with VoodooPS2 you are fine of with /E/E - see the release notes at http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,235.0.html
Just AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext was causing me trouble in that case, maybe other third party kexts do that too, but I didn't expire any other one that way yet.

01-16-2010, 12:49 AM
Ok, Thanks man, you always reply alot to my posts, your very helpful, I am installing the kext files now, will report back soon.

01-16-2010, 03:17 AM
nothing worked at all, I followed evrything to the letter.