PDA

View Full Version : Kernel Panics - Flash Video + RAW Images

richardsim7
01-18-2010, 07:13 PM
I'm running a Core i7 920 Gigabyte EX58-UD5 Retail Snow Leopard 10.6.2 Hackintosh.

I'm getting Kernel panics and the culprits appear to be RAW image files and Flash video.

When viewing a flash video, whether it be fullscreen or normally I very often get a kernel panic, I've tried updating to the latest beta of Adobe Flash to no avail.

And when attempting to open a RAW image file in Photoshop I get a kernel panic as well.

Opening RAW in Aperture wasn't so bad, it worked for a while but randomly it gave me kernel panics. However now whenever I try to open Aperture it instantly causes a KP.

I believe this could be down to the graphics card, an nVidia GTX 260 which uses an EFI string in the com.apple.boot.plist to enable QE/CI.

Does anybody have any possible solutions/ideas?? :)

Many Thanks,

-Rich-

richardsim7
01-22-2010, 02:02 AM
Well it would appear I have solved it. It was neither GPU Audio or NTFS. It was the CPU. Turns out a 4ghz overclock was functional enough to appear stable, but really it wasn't. This also explains the occasional freeze I got whenever installing OS X.

I turned it down to 3.6ghz and I can watch YouTube for hours and edit RAW images happily without a fuss :)

Just a warning for those who overclock I suppose ;)

lanceomni
01-22-2010, 03:37 AM
4ghz... It seems like yesterday I was installing a floating point math coprocessor on my 486 rig so that I could run games that required a pentium rig.

richardsim7
01-22-2010, 03:42 AM
I know, crazy how times fly!