PDA

View Full Version : Frightening Realisation

Ianxxx
02-27-2008, 03:47 AM
It occured to me now that my system is running so well, I'm going to have to modify my behaviour. Having nothing to really fix apart from finding a 5.1 audio solution. I may have to actually start using my PC/Hack to actually do something with. Apart from stumbling.
Not only that but for the first time since I used a pc going back erm a year or two. I actually feel confident in leaving files on my computer instead of having to back things up the minute I've done with them for fear of loosing them.
My god Its like being on a different planet.

xan
02-27-2008, 03:52 AM
lol nice :D u lucky one

WinLinMac01
02-28-2008, 01:50 AM
lol, you don't know. I feel the same exact way.

Ianxxx:It occured to me now that my system is running so well, I'm going to have to modify my behaviour. Having nothing to really fix apart from finding a 5.1 audio solution. I may have to actually start using my PC/Hack to actually do something with. Apart from stumbling.
Not only that but for the first time since I used a pc going back erm a year or two. I actually feel confident in leaving files on my computer instead of having to back things up the minute I've done with them for fear of loosing them.
My god Its like being on a different planet.

twistoflemon
02-28-2008, 02:36 AM
I got a challenge for ya, find a way to get leopard to work on systems with the ati x200 sb400 ata controller ;) It wont even install

R0GUE
02-28-2008, 02:45 AM
lanxxx I know exactly what you mean. About two years ago I was actually 'bored' with OS X because there wasn't really much I could do aside from the occasional bit of tinkering. I decided to build a couple of beige boxes and install an assortment of Linux distros. This move satiated my desire to hack, modify and generally tinker. However, I came to the realization that I was never actually achieving anything much in particular - aside from an increase in personal knowledge of geekery. I've been a full time Mac user since 1989 and never really strayed from the path of the Apple faith, but I will say this; pretty much 'almost' everything works on the Mac, therefore allowing one to get things done and generally be more productive.

cgsheen
02-28-2008, 03:02 AM
twistoflemon:I got a challenge for ya, find a way to get leopard to work on systems with the ati x200 sb400 ata controller ;) It wont even installThat's just an exercise in futility! (and still.. I keep going back - trying to make my stupid Compaq laptop run OSx...)

DoiX
02-28-2008, 03:06 AM
twistoflemon.... i have an ati x200 sb400 chipset :) guess what.. it works perfectly :). lanxxx i understand your "pain" :)) switched from win to os because i wanted a stable system and cool looking one to give me inspiration :) webdesig & stuff*

Ianxxx
02-28-2008, 04:14 PM
I have been a windows and linux user since 1995, linux has always been my second home, windows always had so much commercial support.
I still love a lot about linux and still hate much about windows. Some things have improved with windows XP was a great leap forward. But most of the original problems remain as "in my opinion" it is working on a flawed model with fixes put over the top.
Linux great in lots of ways, "again in my opinion" but commercial apps missing.
Now we come to Mac, first time I ever used a mac was begining of last year, I thought it was pretty good in a lot of ways but the price of a G5 and crappy performance made me laugh.
But now I can use this on relatively cheap well performing hardware, its like a new exsistance.
I love so much about it I love the way applications are packaged, releaving the need for short cuts, and so many other things, its just organised the way i would have organised something.
Don't get me wrong I still have a few "bugs"
can't turn off screensaver -> can live with that
no 5.1-> can live with that or possibly buy usb
x11 isn't working-> not using it at the moment
firefox does quit occasionally-> it always did in windows but as you just say restart session I was using so what.
Been thinking about spending the money to buy an intel system "not normal for me" and still considering it, but when I read topics seems like most of them can't sleep or reboot I can do both.
The strangest thing is this mobo "abit an8 ultra" has the crappiest most problematic bios of any board I've ever owned but it seems OSX likes it lol.

twistoflemon
02-28-2008, 11:05 PM
@Doix did it work out of the box? Or did you have to do something to get it to work?
Perhaps you can tell us how you have managed to get it to run in this topic as to not pollute this topic:

http://osx.kbot.de/comments.php?DiscussionID=486

Lots of people seem to be having this problem here's another example:
http://osx.kbot.de/comments.php?DiscussionID=562