PDA

View Full Version : Newbie's help

rajashilpi
01-23-2010, 12:36 PM
Hi All

Im new to the Mac and to this forum. I want to try out the Mac on my AMD desktop and also on my HP DC7800 Desktop and AMD based HP tx1024 tablet .

The AMD is a 64bit dual core running on Via chipset. and the HP DC7800 is typical X86. Please hep me on the following-

I need to know as to :-
1. where I can download an image to burn and install on either system.
2. is there any community edition of Mac OS like you have in Unix. WIll my typical hardware like keyboard, mouse, 19 inch SAMSUNG LCD display etc work?

Im from Bangalore so do let me know if you guys can help me

regards
Manoj

lanceomni
01-24-2010, 02:34 PM
Hi All
1. where I can download an image to burn and install on either system.
Please read this forum's rules: http://www.infinitemac.com/misc.php?do=cfrules
9.) No Warez. Members are asked to respect the copyright of other users, sites, media, etc. Users linking to or asking for information on warez, crackz, torrents etc. will receive a warning and their post will be removed.
We can't discuss how to obtain these things however we have an entire section called "Prepatched" which deals with installation using prepatched distros.

2. is there any community edition of Mac OS like you have in Unix. WIll my typical hardware like keyboard, mouse, 19 inch SAMSUNG LCD display etc work?
Apple does update its OSX open source project Darwin. This is however not the OSX that you may be familiar with. It does not include the Aqua GUI and can not run application designed to run in Aqua. Alternatives to Aqua would be Gnome or KDE though if you wanted to go this route you may be better off with one of the various Linux distro.

So free version no but possible to install on a wide range of hardware with a little bit of work... yes.

Im from Bangalore so do let me know if you guys can help me

We can sure try. Lets start out by getting your computer's specifications in your signature. You can also place this information in your "Signature". It will then appear on every post you make. Please keep your signatures reasonably sized. We do not want to see full page specs. Edit your signature here: http://www.infinitemac.com/faq.php?faq=vb3_user_profile#faq_vb3_signatures_av atars

Types of installs
There are a few ways to get OSX up and running.

Retail - Installing from an actual retail disk.

Prepatched - Installing from an install disk which has been patched to make it easier to install on various hardware.