PDA

View Full Version : Help installing OSX 10.6.2 on my PC

romaric17
01-28-2010, 07:22 PM
Hi everybody

I've been reading a lot of posts on the forum but I can't figure out the many ways of installing OSX on a PC.

I'd like to try it and install OSX 10.6.2 on my PC but I don't understand differences between installs that need only a bootloader (vanilla installs), and installs that require modifications such as kexts, MSDT, ... And there are also full distros like Hazard's...

Here are the specs of my PC : ;)

Core 2 Duo E5200
Motherboard : Gigabyte EP31-DS3L
RAM : Crucial Ballistix PC6400 4Go
Graphics : Sapphire HD4850 512MB
HDD : WD Caviar SATA 320GB 16MB

Then may I make a vanilla install, that seems easier and would allow me to update directly from Apple ? That would be GREAT.

Please, could someone give me information on the best way for me to get OSX 10.6.2 to fully work on my PC ? :)

Thanks a lot!

(I also have a MacBook with OSX 10.6.2 running)

01-28-2010, 10:59 PM
Try the Empire EFI CD you just download it , burn the ISO to a CD and boot using the Empire EFI CD and then swap it out for the Snow Leopard DVD and install, Afterward you install a bootloader and install the necessary kext files to make the rest of your hardware work properly.You are welcome to ask me more questions.

Heres where you download Empire EFI CD ----------->http://prasys.co.cc/2010/01/empire-efi-v-1-085-is-out/

romaric17
01-29-2010, 11:26 AM
Thanks for your help.

I've been trying to install OSX 10.6 with Empire EFI but haven't succeeded yet.

Empire EFI 1.08 won't work => blocked on white text on black screen (last line is com_chucko_RealtekR1000: Ethernet address ...)

Empire EFI 1.08 with ATI drivers : memory allocation error (tried modifying AHCI, SATA Enhanced mode, HPET 64 bit, but none did work)

Empire EFI 1.08 with ATI drivers, LEGACY : gets me to the intaller, by the way can't use it because the screen is garbled : i mean white points on black screen. But when I move the mouse I can see there is a change on the screen).

I'm thinking of connecting my HD4850 with DVI2VGA or direct DVI instead of HDMI.

Another solution would be to use another video card which is known to be compatible. But which one, for similar performance?

What do you think I should do?

Thanks a lot for your advice

01-29-2010, 04:52 PM
Well currently there are two versions of Empire EFI 1.085, one for multi core and one for single core (and a third with AMD support). I got some errors too when using the wrong ISO.

romaric17
01-30-2010, 08:46 PM
Actually I've been burning 8 CDs with different versions of EMPIRE EFI (normal, legacy, with ati fix, and even the i7/X58 which contains a fix for ATI) but none did work.
That is why, after having read many threads on the internet about ATI and OSX86, I decided to purchase another graphics card.
Now I am using a GeForce 210, and I am able to get to the installer. I'll try to install Snow Leopard 10.6 tomorrow.

But I have two questions for you:

1. I understand that the required kexts for NVIDIA and audio (VoodooHDA) are included in Empire EFI. When Snow Leopard is installed, does it mean that the kexts will already be installed too, or will I have to install them again manually?

2. Moreover, when Snow Leopard is installed, I have to "patch" the boot not to need Empire EFI CD each time I want to boot. What should I do to patch the boot (I read that i had to use myHack in the post installation folder of Empire EFI). Am I right?

Thank you so much for helping me, I love learning new things

SportsGuy
01-31-2010, 02:33 AM
try using Hazard's distribution of snow leopard. its very simple

01-31-2010, 03:34 AM
Included with the Empire EFI CD is the "MyHack" installer it will take care of both of those problems for you, you will still need to install kexts for all other hardware that you may have, like your video card if it is not supported by Snow Leopard natively.

romaric17
01-31-2010, 11:08 PM
Thanks 00010 and SportsGuy.
I've installed myHack and it's working.

Actually I've been looking for the missing kexts for my graphics card (PNY Geforce 210) and for my audio chipset ALC888 on my EP31-DS3L.

Finally for the graphics card I'm using Natit, NV Injector 64 and NV Enabler from here: http://www.kexts.com/view/170-videocards_(nvidia)_10.6_(86-64).html (http://www.kexts.com/view/170-videocards_%28nvidia%29_10.6_%2886-64%29.html)
The graphics card works if used with VGA cable but not with HDMI output (good resolution but altered colors, very strange).

Other issue: when the screen goes on standby, i can't wake it by moving the mouse or pressing a key on the keyboard.
EDIT: Would SleepEnabler.kext be a solution? What should I care about before installing it (saw things to do about AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext) ?

As far as ALC888 is concerned, VoodooHDA hasn't been successful.
That's why I've installed alternative kexts AppleHDA.kext and HDAEnabler.kext found on a forum. These kexts are functional but when i reboot, they are not working anymore. I can't understand why. May be there is a conflict with another kext or another problem. May be I could give a shot at verbose mode or something else and post it here so you can give me some advice?
SOLVED: I've added the PNPID of my sound chipset in the HDAEnabler.kext and removed ALCinject.kext which then was in conflict with my AppleHDA.ket and HDAEnabler.kext

Thanks again.