PDA

View Full Version : Need help getting from iDeneb to retail SL

adt2
02-19-2010, 06:21 PM
Briefly: I recently managed to get my dual-booting Win7/iDeneb 10.5.5 system up and running. I'm using EasyBCD to manage the bootup. To get things working, I created one FAT and one HFS+ partition using GParted, then installed iDeneb 10.5.5, then installed Win7, then installed EasyBCD.

My understanding is that in order to use a vanilla, retail SL disc for my installation, I need an EFI partition in which to load some kind of bootloader. However, near as I can tell, I don't have one of those. It appears that all I have on my single HD is the NTFS partition, where Win7 resides, and the OS X partition.

So. I'm looking for some advice on getting from Point A to Point B. I have no idea how to use Chameleon or Boot-132 or similar tools, but I'm willing to Google 'til my fingers bleed to figure that part out, if that's what I need to do. But I'd love to get a little direction on the best way to tackle this problem before I get started.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

adriangb
02-19-2010, 09:42 PM
I responded to your other post, I didn't see your new one.
You don't need an EFI partition. Looking at your setup, I would install the boot-loader on the OS X partition, as you have already using iDeneb (so you don't need to touch Windows)
What I would do is use Windows to remove your OS X partition (after backing it up), then -still using Windows- make two partitions in place of the OS X partition, one for your main OS X install and the other one for a temporary iDeneb install that you can use to work with OS X. Make the second one about 10GB, and the first one as big as you can. Then you should install iDeneb on the second 10GB one. Once you have that, download this bootloader (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3315703/Chameleon%20RC4-AsereBLN-1.1.9.zip) and install it selecting your OS X partition (the first "big" one). Once that is done, post your current iDeneb kexts here and any things that aren't working, and I'll try to figure out what you need to have SL working, but no promises on that.

adriangb
02-19-2010, 09:47 PM
From looking at your setup, I'm afraid about your GPU, I don't know if it's supported. I don't know about the chipset either, so before you do what I said, check how your making all that work. If you can only use VESA, then OS X isn't worth it.

adt2
02-19-2010, 09:48 PM
Awesome - thanks for the help.

I didn't select or install (as far as I know) any kexts with the iDeneb setup - which I'm sure is why I have no sound, no USB support, wrong video resolution, etc. I figured once I got the base operating system up and running, I'd go back and start trying to figure out how to tweak things to get more stuff working. I don't really care about sound, but USB, video and the constant resetting of the computer clock are getting old quick.

adt2
02-19-2010, 09:50 PM
From looking at your setup, I'm afraid about your GPU, I don't know if it's supported. I don't know about the chipset either, so before you do what I said, check how your making all that work. If you can only use VESA, then OS X isn't worth it.

I can actually live with the graphics; I'm not going to be using this thing for games or Photoshop or video editing; mostly I want to be able to use it for Xcode work. I have a desktop Hackintosh and an Intel Mac Mini out in my office that I can use for heavy lifting; this is just for the convenience of being able to sit in my recliner and get a little light work done while the wife & kids watch TV - otherwise I have to go out into the office by myself. I'm too gregarious for that...

adriangb
02-20-2010, 07:32 AM
You must have used some kexts. What did you check when you installed iDeneb?
From the little research I did on your hardware, it looks like there is no support for your graphics card or chipset, sorry.
And if there isn't, there is no getting US, video, etc to work. Well, maybe with lots of tweaking you could get USB, but that depends on your controller, and probably is very complicated. I wouldn't now how to do it, so I can't help you with that.
Wait, I just saw a page that stated something about Chameleon 2 RC4 and the GM45, and from what I understood Chameleon supports this -don't ask me how, I think there are no macs with it- so it should work.
The graphics seem a no go thou. I read about fixes for native resolution, but they seem complicated and are not sure to work.
So, what we need now is a list of what you have to check to install iDeneb and your specs. Are you using GPT or MBR?
Oh, and just so you know, your going to have to get into DSDT.