PDA

View Full Version : Setting up usb installer for Snow Leo

thedaemon666
03-03-2010, 11:10 AM
I have been successful in setting up a USB Key as bootable with Chameleon 2 RC4 as my boot loader. I have applied DSDT patching for my system. I run into the issue that the installer panics during initial load. I have to the best of my knowledge acquired the needed kexts for my system and included them in chameleon's Extra/Extensions folder as well as used kextcache to build /Extra/Extensions.mkext. I have made sure to set the proper permissions and ownership on the kexts. My system seems to panic when dealing with the AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext, it errors out stating that PATA IDE 2 is Disabled. Attached is an image of the specific error. I have tried both using the stock kext and the ICHx Fixed kext for Snow Leo. I have tried to google and search for a more up to date ICHx Fixed kext and have came up with nothing. Is there any input from the community?

uman
03-03-2010, 11:15 PM

prasys guide covers this: http://prasys.co.cc/2009/08/installing-snow-leopard-for-osx86/

I had the same problem. I tried fixing it with a new AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext, and I rebuilt the cache, but it failed elsewhere. I ended up deleting IOATAFamily.kext from the USB stick. That allowed me to install, but I get a failure later-- it just hangs.

I've tried a few different ways, and still no luck.

thedaemon666
03-05-2010, 08:31 AM
uman,

FYI I used that tutorial to start with, but modded along the way with my own updated files etc.

I have successfully installed 10.6 and got past the panics during boot.

#2B
There is a minor annoyance that I am personally willing to live with until a fix is found, and also further testing I am going to do on my own.

#2C
To get past the panics I simply set my IDE settings in my bios to compatible mode rather than enhanced. By doing this OS X doesn't see all my HDDs however its installed, booting, and the snow kitty is purring very nicely.

If you want I can send you over what I have used in conjunction to the bios settings if you need it.

Happy Hunting,
TheDaemon666