PDA

View Full Version : Dell Eimension e310 boot issues, kernel panic

mckooter
03-15-2010, 01:08 AM
Okay, Ive been at this for days, I took my wife's old Dell e310 ( specs @ http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/dell-dimension-e310-desktop/1707-3118_7-31594474.html ) and I installed Leopard on it to start some iPhone development. Well I have since learned that I really need snow leopard for the new xcode framework. So ive spent the past week trying to get Snow installed. I have tried three different images, and well they all stop at the same place.

The problem is theres no information (even in -v mode) so I cannot figure out what is going wrong, if there were a visible panic I could search for the information but theres just nothing to go on.

The screen will just go blank when im booting from the usb, so I wen't in and installed it manually through leopard (on a different drive) and now when i get to the Chameleon loader it will load all the files (i can see the files being listed, but when it goes to switch to the other resolution (smaller text) it just locks up,

If i boot without -v it will goto the apple screen, but the spinning thing will not come up and it will never do anything,

If i boot with -v, it just goes blank after the first set of files being listed, (when it switches to the alternate resolution)

Any ideas on where to go from here, I may just get a Dell Mini 10v for development but would rather do it on hardware that I have already.

Thanks for any help, and hopefully this made sense

well, i fixed that, i swear every time i post a problem, thats when i find the answer, i needed the p4 kernel, which you guys may know,

anyway, the problem now is the notorious: "waiting for root device" error, on snow im not sure how to fix with my hardware, where can i find the correct kext for my sata driver (from what ive read this is my issue)

and honestly, how do i fix this kext? i have access to my leopard install for the work, i just want to make sure i put it in the right place as i see theres a few places for kexts (/extras & /library... )

thanks for any help, and once i post this ill probably fix it, because thats the way it goes

... also, i did try it, i think i screwed with my kexts soo much i probably need to reinstall to clean it all up

thanks for any help!

garretruh
04-15-2010, 11:16 AM
I'm having the same problem on the same computer. Any luck in fixing the root device issue?