PDA

View Full Version : Alternative for my hardware specs

crawle
01-18-2008, 03:54 AM
Hey guys,
I started looking through this OSX86-Stuff, but I finally don't know, what's really best version for me and my PC. I've already tried the (great, great, great!) Zephyroth-Version, but aa unknown kernel panic occurred (we discussed about it already). I think, you can help me in this question. But at first, my further hardware specs:

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3200+
Codename: Venice
Revision: DH-E6
Instructions: MMX (+) 3DNow! (+) SSE SSE2 SSE3 x86-64

MainBoard: Epox 9HEAI with VIA K8T890 / VT8237R chipset
Northbridge: VIA K8T890 rev 00
Southbridge: VIA VT8237 rev 00

RAM: 2048 MB (4x 512 MB PC400)
Type: DDR-SDRAM Dual Channel
Timing: 2.5-3-3-7
RAM-Takt: 163.7 MHz
Ratio: CPU/11

Graphics: nVidia GeForce 6600 GT (still rocks!)

Hard Drive Disks: - 140 GB Seagate (P)ATA (IDE)
- (very soon, there'll be a) 250 GB Seagate/Samsung (we'll see) (P)ATA (IDE)

Sound: RealTek onboard + a very, very old Creative Soundcard (not important - I found it in an old PC - and it worked) (about PCI)

Peripherials: 20" LG Flatron L203WT (about DVI), 19" BenQ T905 (about VGA), Cherry eVolution Shadow (Mouse + Keyboard)

So that's it. Actually I have installed the JaS-Tiger 10.4.8, but it runs very instable, so it's not really fun (only when it has booted at the third try and the right kexts are loaded - my 20" monitor only works in safe mode and both monitors show the same) ...
So my question to you: Should I wait for Rev 2? I don't know, if it'll work and I don't know, if it's not possible, that another version fits better to my specs!? So please tell me. Sure, if I could choose, I'd choose Leopard, but I want, that it runs stable as possible.
I think, you can help me. And you'll do! ;-)

Many greetings,
crawle

naquaada
01-18-2008, 04:02 AM
Could you explain the kernel panic again please? Which components are supported with on your actual osx86 version?

crawle
01-18-2008, 04:16 AM
Do you mean the Zeph-Leo? The kernel panic was something like this:

Panic (cpu 0 caller 0x0036DAC7):"Process 1 exec of /sbin/launchd failed, errno 88\n"@/volumes/disk1s2/leo_xnu-1228/bsd/kern/kern_exec.c:2884

And I don't know, what exactly is supported on my actual osx86 version, but I heard, it should be one of the best.

naquaada
01-18-2008, 04:29 AM
I ment, which of your hardware components are supported. The most common problems are Audio, LAN and Graphics. Graphics must support Quartz Extreme and CoreImage (QE/CI) and graphics mode selection. What's working on your system?

To the Tiger image: I never had good experiences with JaS images, these were all crappy and after 10.4.8 all following images from everybody had that disk utility bug. The best Tiger image I can recommend is the 10.4.6 image from myzar + his 10.4.7 update. But this isn't easy to get and has no nVidia support. I was using this image all the time, but now I'm switching to Leopard because it seems to run very stable on my systems. And it's faster than Tiger, too.

crawle
01-18-2008, 04:35 AM
And what's about a alternative AMD-Leopard version? Is there any good (, too)?

naquaada
01-18-2008, 04:52 AM
There is another one on piratebay, ToH RC2, but this one wasn't even booting on my nForce system. It stopped after a short while, also on the machine of a friend.