PDA

View Full Version : OS X 10.6 kernel panic when using 160GB Seagate HDD

eacape
07-09-2010, 11:14 PM
Hi everyone, I get a kernel panic when booting the SnowLeopard install disk (retail), but it is only when I use my older 160GB Seagate HDD. I have a Dell Inspiron 1525, and I have used OS X on it for a long time, so I know it works without any problems. The weird thing is, is that it booted once fine, and I installed OS X. After that, like I said I get a kernel panic when booting the HDD and even the setup disk. I tried booting with "-x" and/or "-v", and it still does the same thing. I also tried removing the HDD, and put in my 500GB Western Digital drive with Windows on it, just to see if something really went wrong with my computer it's self, but it boots into the setup fine. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me. Also, sorry if i left out anything or i don't make sense, I'm a bit tired right now.

eacape
07-09-2010, 11:41 PM
Also, here is an image, just in case.

rollyleo
07-10-2010, 01:06 PM
u can try to set "AHCI" in BIOS!

eacape
07-10-2010, 10:45 PM
u can try to set "AHCI" in BIOS!

It is already set at 'AHCI' by default. And like I said, it doesn't give me a kernel panic on any HDD's except one, so the settings must be ok. But thanks for that, I didn't even think of checking that.

scififan68
07-11-2010, 12:09 AM
remove ioatafamily.kext from /S/L/E and it should boot as long as you have ahci enabled in the bios

eacape
07-11-2010, 04:41 AM
Thanks for the help everyone! I formatted the HDD in Windows, and successfully booted the start-up disk, and restored OSX from a backup image I made. Everything works fine!